Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What kind of foundations do the buildings on either side of you look like

In Texas we have thick gooey clay that can move 5cm from drought to torrential downpour, a dozen times a year, and sit on a 7.5cm un-reinforced concrete slab-on-grade. Ten million homes like this. Yes they all have a crack down the middle, but doesn't impact the overall structural integrity of the house sitting on top

Pretty sure anti-aircraft guns in Dover sit on less substantial foundations :britain::hf::psyduck:

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I've only spent more than 24 hours in England once and I was 16 on a school trip and distracted by the things 16 year olds are so my memory is fuzzy on the subject but,

Are these posts on a time delay? Is it really that wet and gray in England in June? Seems awfully wet :crossarms: if it were not for the time stamp I'd assume this was taken in late November

Godspeed

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm sure the real answer is "this is way cheaper than doing it your way, do you have any idea what cement costs, and how many trucks it would take to fill this volume?" but sure seems like you could do the foundation a lot faster by just excavating the foundation box and pouring a continious slab? Especially when you take into account your time, equipment rentals, bunch of deliveries of fill dirt/rock, labor of people scamming their own family etc might be break-even? :confused:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Wow I noticed your setback from the fence, went back to the OP to look at the plan diagram and WOW you're at the bare minimum lot line offset, huh? Does that free up extra usable lawn space or were you just trying to follow the footprint as closely as possible or what

Also looks like your added some extra foundation in the center vertex where both halves meet. Front Back porch? Mechanical room? Edit: I guess this is a "plant room" which could either be a dedicated greenhouse lean to, or what we call in the US a sun room

Do you own your driveway or is some of it right of way?

Looks good great job :golfclap:

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 22, 2022

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is purple a normal safety barricade color (colour?) in your part of the world? We have those same barricades but I've only seen them in orange, once or twice in safety yellow

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Me imagining 99's plant room :allears:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Not gonna lie, spend a non zero amount of time contemplating your build pretty much each day

NotJustANumber99 posted:

We leave quite a few options in the plant room cos obviously all the plants in here are going to need access to get their roots through

:hmmyes:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I think they tried selling the mini back in the 50s or 60s and immediately had to take it off the market because they didn't realize Americans expect to drive their car at 70-80mph for 2-3 hours non stop, every day and it just wasn't built to do that; whereas the island of Britain in the middle narrows down to something like 70 miles at one point

Also tiny windy medieval roads suck for going anywhere faster than walking speed, and everyone is constantly driving on the wrong side of the road sorry not sorry

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I was in Texas recently and there was a thing on the news about the state wanting to re-sign the stretch of I-10 from San Antonio to El Paso as 85 but didn't have the funding for it. Only about 100 miles have been re-signed from 70 to 85 so far. That stretch of I-10 is flat desert with no settlements beyond a service station every 50 miles or so. Most people are cruising along at closer to 90. Nothing to hit. Even the raised highways that run through the sleepy suburbs are 70. It was 55 from the oil crisis in the 70s through the mid 90s though

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

One can dream

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Jaded Burnout posted:

Given this is retrospective I’m guessing you already figured out you need to be more assertive with these guys.

Builders are especially susceptible to the viewpoint that any outside guidance is a sign of weakness. It’s “I won’t ask for directions” but with your 200k house.

I think you missed a zero there, pretty sure he's got 200k in the foundations alone

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

"listed building" carries a lot of weight in brit culture, based on the Grand Designs shows I was binging peak-lockdown

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Not sure if your plant room is going to get enough sun that close to the fence

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

One layer above the ground floor you have a single line of red brick, is this a racing stripe, air/moisture break, fire break or just some sort of spacer so you can use a standard 3m 2x4 or whatever

I'm definitely not a masonry wizard but seems like in the states nobody is building their houses with racing stripes at ankle level (not sure what you call that in metric either)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

with 200mm of insulation

I thought this build was south of the artic circle

Edit: maybe this is australia, where heat sinks rather than rises

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

"local man dies of broken spine: apparently the man was leaning against the wall when suddenly a chain reaction of every stud twisting loose caused a shockwave that ran down the drywall causing his spinal cord and spleen to burst from the shockwave"

"It was just too fast to get out of the way. The whole house was wound up like the tightest steel spring. There was a creak, a pop, and half a second later it was over and all the drywall was crooked. You could feel the shockwave move through the air and through you"

"It was like living in the most resonant, tightest wound drum" one family member was overheard commenting

News and weather at 7

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Aug 2, 2022

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Local Florida man dies in front of entire family proving he can suck his own dick, breaks neck. Family trashes house to hide shame, concocts wild story about house exploding. News at 11

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

:five:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Looks like you got the upgraded, "I plan on doing something with my attic some day, maybe" trusses. Any, uh, plans for upstairs yet. Looks like you have roughly 1000 sq ft between two rooms up there to start that coffin-building business you were talking about last page

Edit: Sorry to hear about your brother in Florida

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

An L shaped sense of security. Robbed blind and haven't even moved in yet, wild

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What's UK for mullet + camaros on cinder blocks

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Jaded Burnout posted:

Mario and Wall-luigi.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Nice looking plant room, can't wait to see what you decide to put in there. Looks like it gets some excellent afternoon sun

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Ive just sold on ebay the leftover thermolite blocks. 300 blocks.

I've sold them for less than they cost now but more than I paid for them!

Hardly game changing but a small win.

There's an economics podcast where they interview some factory manager in Russia that's been there since the Soviet era when they were doing the barter system and passing around gazprom (oil/gas) IOUs

Apparently they had a couple million bricks in a yard at the factory, barter payment for some shipment order they produced. Due to inflation and brick's near-gold like ability to not degrade from the elements they had chosen to hang on to them as a durable store of wealth, rather than sell them on the market for cash in a hyperinflation environment

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Kind of curious if firewood theft is going to become a thing this winter

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Thread continues to deliver

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

This image is forever burned into my memory

I can never look at a McDonald's the same way, ever again

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

I think about this a lot for some reason

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Wouldn't you just use something like 3M 5200 or 4200 to bond the tiles together that can't be mechanically fastened, or whatever the roofing equivalent is

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hydroponics system going into your plant room looking mighty fine

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

In the UK because you drive on the other side of the road, does that mean the drive thru runs clockwise around the building? Because it looks like you're setup for cars to wrap counter clockwise around the building like they do in the states :confused:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Maybe it's just an optical illusion but are your roof tiles supposed to look like a wavy tribute to Gaudí

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Minus the last two photos looks like you're building a McDonald's addition module to the international space station

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Just run a winch from your habitable attic down through the ceiling into the sun roof with a body harness, then walk down from the attic. Bing bong so simple

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Here it is up in the loft (attic? does loft mean a bunkbed to americans? I kinda remember that from my time at american university)

Loft in American generally in an urban context is industrial space converted to uncomfortable residential; in a rural context it means poorly conceived spare upstairs bedroom. In either case, it appears we've accidentally settled on an agreed upon definition here and today.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Where is the plant room in this latest render

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

I bet your incredibly deep and powerful foundation is strong enough for you to install a shark tank below the table in the great hall although that will mess with the heated floors probably

my brother in christ have you heard the good news about tropical shark tanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

Tbf most people don't take such a rigid/thrifty/perverse definition of "self-build". I keep expecting to open thread and 99 is now milling his own blocks or has started a small steel foundry in the unused breakroom

I keep waiting to see what he's gonna plant in the plant room :dance:

it's gonna be monstera deliciosa with all the heat and humidity from leaking hoses