Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Lol I only just reread this and realised I probably confused you with my answer, plant as in not plants but like machinery plant. I assume you're american (cos you can't spell centre) is that the word in America? For like all your aircon and pumps and stuff. yeah, mechanical room.

I am from Houston and we refer to the big chemical and oil & gas refineries as "plants", but I've never heard someone refer to an HVAC closet or those sorts of utilities in a home as a plant. Makes sense tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Can you explain in more detail how the hip ridge tiles are installed? Are any fasteners used, or is the bottom most tile resting against that piece of aluminum, and then everything else is a mixture of gravity, friction, and mortar?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Relevant to tile roofing, and doing it "right"

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7173318645983153454

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I am on a train to Edinburgh from Kings Cross station and somewhere outside of London, but before York I saw an L-Shaped House under construction and got excited for a second. However, it did not yet have a roof on it, just some wood framing, so I'm fairly certain it was not this L-Shaped House.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Mustache Ride posted:

This video is about south Texas built homes, but I feel it's appropriate for you to watch as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddjjwY6zzG8

Excuse you. Those are central Texas homes.

A friend of mine tried to get in touch with Rissinger about tearing down/rebuilding his home in central Austin and was told back in 2019, or so, that he didn't do builds for less than $450/sq ft. That friend wound up going with another architect to design and build a custom home, and I think they employed some of those high efficiency concepts that Rissinger advocates for. It cost a fortune and several years of course.

I contacted the business that Rissinger mentioned in his "Insulation 2.0" video a year or two ago to get quotes to have my blown in insulation vacuumed out, and either air seal attic penetrations and blow in new stuff, or spray foam the roof deck.

I want to say those quotes were high $6k to $10k for the two options. I really need to get my insulation improved, but that quote was painful.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

do yourself a favor and run a hot water line (and electric) to the toilet, so you can upgrade to a smart toilet & warm water bidet in the future

trust me, :females: appreciate a lad who's got a fancy bidet

You don't need a hot water tap. All of the good bidet/washlet seats have a built in water heater of some sort. You just need a cold water line.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Well sure, then you need an outlet and a cord, which I also suggested.

Leperflesh posted:

with all that underfloor heating piping what if it ran right up into the toilet and gave you a warm seat too, I bet you could engineer your own cozy toilet design

I forgot which thread I was in. Yes, run a hot water line from the radiant floor plumbing to heat the seat-- maybe engineer a special heat exchanger within the toilet.

It's a shame this house hasn't been featured on Grand Designs.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

idhrendur posted:

Like the Colin Furze secret tunnel that he needed to get after-the-fact council permission for, including having plans drawn up.

I was about to bring up Furze and then deleted my post for being unfunny. Furze dug his L shaped tunnel really fast. Maybe he could help OP with his home.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Wifi Toilet posted:

Needs more floor grates and strobing red lights

Like the Cylons, OP doesn't have a plan

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Speaking of super tough aerated cement bricks, I just saw this. Lol

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7280511794710383918

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Why would a gas meter run on 3 phase at all?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Muir posted:

It's the electricity meter, British Gas handles gas and electric.

Jesus Christ, these people can't even speak their own language.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

WhatEvil posted:

Nobody can.

Here in Canada I pay my "Hydro" bill.

Guess what that's for.

Yeah, you nailed it. Electricity. Not water, don't be stupid.

I could maybe guess it being hydro electric, but come on!

Edit: \/\/\/ confirmed

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 23, 2023

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Theres a crack in the hallway ceiling!

Do I complain? dunno. I'll mention it next time theyre back I guess. Along with asking for my two LED spotlights back that have disappeared into one of their vans.

Ignore the big crack, thats not todays problem. So I can't just glue/adhesive the board to the underside of the steel as youtube suggests as there is that extra crap in the way. I'm going to need to install something to space that and receive the board being screwed up into it.

:catstare:

Drywall/plaster cracks seem inevitable, but that aerated brick crack...

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

goatface posted:

Slap some epoxy on it. Epoxy fixes everything.

Epoxy is probably stronger than air bricks.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

CancerCakes posted:

Fortunately for us OP decided to use bonding plaster as an airtight membrane, which has now been ruined by having a massive gap at the bottom.

One way to overcome it is paint the bottom exposed blocks with a tile primer and then use a waterproof tanking solution to create an airtight membrane on the blocks, but as the guy above said, knee pads will be your new friend.

Can he not squirt some kind of low expanding/flexible foam along the base to try and seal it, or use a sealant like what is demonstrated here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQj1wPyvsio

Edit: I'm on mobile. This may not be the video I was looking for, but Risinger had another video using some sort of sealant that's applied from a sausage tube/caulking gun that could fill gaps and was air tight and flexible.

Or he could've done something like this before he plastered, or maybe he can do it post plaster:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYugiSwWoPk

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 25, 2023

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

JunkDeluxe posted:

Slate cladding is on the rise for new builds in Denmark. Seeing more and more of it. Not sure of the cost though.

I don't think aerated cement blocks could support the weight of slate cladding.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Wanna meet that shed.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Rebuilt the bathroom vanity backbox thing with smaller cantilevered box.

This seems weird to me, but I suppose I haven't looked in my walls/slab to see exactly how wastewater is routed in the US.

First of all, y'all don't use roof vents for your plumbing? I'm guessing that cap on the left is a 1-way valve that allows air in/out when the toilet is flushed? Does this not create an airleak in the house? How does it prevent sewer gas stink from entering the house?

Second, the way your sink drains directly into the drain for the toilet seems bizarre. I suppose unless you have a really bad problem where your sewer backs up this is a non-issue, but it seems like a blockage at the toilet could clog or back up your sink.

Edit:

Leperflesh posted:

there's like a dozen problems and issues with having all your wire and cable infrastructure on poles instead of buried, including having them fall over or catch on fire, being an absolute blight on the landscape, etc. but it does at least make it simpler for the lads to get fiber to our houses out here in california

Lol, we got google fiber in Austin, and Google had initially planned to do installations via running fiber along our utility poles. Despite the utility poles being owned by the City of Austin, they are leased to the various telecom and cable providers. There is some ridiculous law or rule saying that for an installer to access those utility poles they have to have permission from the other telecoms. I believe the story was that for google to install fiber along those poles, the telecoms said that they must be on site to observe their installation and make sure Google's installers didn't damage the other lines.

As you can imagine, they made enough demands that basically meant google could not gain access to the utility poles at all. As a result they had to bury all of the fiber underground and the vast majority of Austin is built on top of lime stone so it required tons of digging and drilling to run underground conduit. I think eventually they said they would not be building out any more of the network because it was too costly to do this.

Texas also bans municipal ISPs, so we can't have nice things. We did get Google Fiber in my neighborhood, however, and it' has been 99.99% reliable. Absolutely love it.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 16, 2024

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
You need a basement or walls thicker than a 2x4 to use those.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Lucid Nonsense posted:

I've had my limit. gently caress you. All this needlessly complicated construction and you can't even get a loving trim joint tight?

Cope

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

:five:

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

That's not a submarine. I'm pretty sure this is one of the margarita machines I saw in a thread in GBS years ago.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I would back the early access game "Plant Room Plumbing Simulator 2024" from L-Shaped Studios.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
It's op really not going to get a washlet toilet seat? Embarrassing