Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Fabricated posted:

The name of the song is "Mixed Nuts", I think there's a translation of the lyrics around somewhere.

Just learned they put out a video for the single, it has english subs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbH2F0kXgTY

in this world like nuts packed in a bag
everyone is snuggling up to someone they meet
we are mixed in there and smiling
by pretending we are all nuts like peanuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Huh, wasn't showing up on Crunchyroll for me. I expected it'd just automatically update new content, at least if/when you switched tabs, but apparently you need to close and reopen it to refresh it for new content. At least I know now, I guess.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Loyld I think must be genuinely smitten because episode 1 established him as being ultra observant and paranoid and quick to suspect people after sherlock scanning them but Yor despite his initial confusion at their first meeting doesn't seem to be setting off any alarm bells despite clearly doing or acting in ways that should be suspicious? My interpretation then is Loyld is maybe actually in love and this is making him a tad blind. While Yor is established already as being a bit of a scatterbrained blunt instrument and it makes sense for her to not pick up on the ways Loyld isn't as he seems.

The fake country names were a little confusing but to be clear, Loyld is an agent from the "West" while Yor is an assassin working for Anime Not!East Germany?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Pretty sure he actually just has a concussion from the car crash.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 16, 2022

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Ep 2 is grand.

I need a gif for Yor going into lethal mode as she answers the phone.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Lloyd is just very dedicated to the bit. He’s going to execute the mission flawlessly, so yeah he knows all the right words to say

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Clarste posted:

Pretty sure he actually has a concussion from the car crash.

Yeah I half overlooked/forgot about this but I feel like he mostly seemed to have recovered by that at the point of driving Yor back home, which is when we see Yor doing more spy kicks.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Raenir Salazar posted:

Loyld I think must be genuinely smitten because episode 1 established him as being ultra observant and paranoid and quick to suspect people after sherlock scanning them but Yor despite his initial confusion at their first meeting doesn't seem to be setting off any alarm bells despite clearly doing or acting in ways that should be suspicious? My interpretation then is Loyld is maybe actually in love and this is making him a tad blind. While Yor is established already as being a bit of a scatterbrained blunt instrument and it makes sense for her to not pick up on the ways Loyld isn't as he seems.

The fake country names were a little confusing but to be clear, Loyld is an agent from the "West" while Yor is an assassin working for Anime Not!East Germany?

Yor just does jobs for her handler. They may or may not be working for a government. We don't know yet.

I've only read up in the manga to the arrival of the fortelling dog, but I wouldn't be surprised if Lloyd or Yor end up getting jobs that target each other at some point and Anya needs to somehow navigate those choppy waters.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Nitrousoxide posted:

Yor just does jobs for her handler. They may or may not be working for a government. We don't know yet.

I've only read up in the manga to the arrival of the fortelling dog, but I wouldn't be surprised if Lloyd or Yor end up getting jobs that target each other at some point and Anya needs to somehow navigate those choppy waters.

This episode Yor described her target as a "traitor" so that's why I'm inclined to believe that her handler works for Yeast Hermany.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Let's be real here who wouldn't fall in love after witnessing someone kick a guy halfway across the world?

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Raenir Salazar posted:

Pretty much, it hasn't come up yet but Ostania is basically East Germany under Gorbachev if Gorbachev's economic policies saw more success. Not much of a spoiler since the manga doesn't really go too much further than there being a cold war going on between the two nations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yor's assassin job is not government sanctioned because otherwise she wouldn't be worried about being arrested for being suspicious.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Yeah not much of a spoiler but the setting's pretty loosey goosey with the West/East Germany inspiration when it comes to politics and government - so far in the manga there hasn't been much to show an ideological difference between the two countries. Ostania is Anime East Germany "vibes"-wise, and its secret police is very much Anime Stasi, but is otherwise kinda nondescript authoritarian and militaristic, albeit undergoing mild reforms at the time of the story. It's got influential far-right parties, entrenched old money families and a revanchist streak against its neighbor, so it's kind of its own thing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Agronox posted:

Directed by Furuhashi Kazuhiro, who has had a very long career and might be most well known for directing Hunter x Hunter.

So I just realized that he was also a director on Neo Yokio and it's still cracking me up.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

muscles like this! posted:

Yor's assassin job is not government sanctioned because otherwise she wouldn't be worried about being arrested for being suspicious.

I'm not sure that's actually been confirmed one way or the other, in the context of the episode it seems a lot more like Yor was concerned getting arrested would a) blow her cover and draw suspicion to her and b) (and to her more importantly) worry her younger brother and keep him from going on to take his promotion. I never got the sense she was worried about actually getting arrested and put away.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Even among everything else that happened, somehow it was the noise the thug made after Yor kicked him down the alley that made me laugh the hardest

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

a kitten posted:

Even among everything else that happened, somehow it was the noise the thug made after Yor kicked him down the alley that made me laugh the hardest

For me it was Anya offering Frankie a peanut.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

For me it was Anya offering Frankie a peanut.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
My favourite moment was when Lloyd showed up to the party. I'm not a big fan of romcoms but I watched enough to expect some kind of "he's too invested in his job so he skips the family reunions/dates/sth like that" kind of conflict. But nope, if Lloyd promises he'll go to the party with you, he will go to the party with you drat it. What a smooth mofo

And they nailed the grenade scene, oml

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Is the dub coming out the same time as the episodes? I actually kind of prefer the dub, truth be told :shobon:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

CommissarMega posted:

Is the dub coming out the same time as the episodes? I actually kind of prefer the dub, truth be told :shobon:

I believe there's a week delay for the dubs

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I would also peg it as an easy candidate for a run on Toonami, we've got some timeslots opening up soon.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

a kitten posted:

I believe there's a week delay for the dubs

Righto, thanks for the heads-up!

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

I would also peg it as an easy candidate for a run on Toonami, we've got some timeslots opening up soon.

Man, I hope so

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

macabresca posted:

My favourite moment was when Lloyd showed up to the party. I'm not a big fan of romcoms but I watched enough to expect some kind of "he's too invested in his job so he skips the family reunions/dates/sth like that" kind of conflict. But nope, if Lloyd promises he'll go to the party with you, he will go to the party with you drat it. What a smooth mofo

And they nailed the grenade scene, oml

I appreciated how he didn't even try to clean off the blood from his face or anything.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I was wondering about Anya being a telepath and being rejected from about four families before she met Twilight. Couldn't she have used her powers to stay with any of those families or were they just not the right fit for her personally?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Presumably none of those families had an ulterior motive for needing a child that Anya could clue into and fulfill.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.
She may be a telepath but she's also six and therefore dumb as rocks and makes decisions accordingly. The show's been doing a great job sitting on that line -- she thinks her superspy dad, of all people, would get rid of her if he finds out she can read minds.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I keep re-listening watching the opening on youtube, the song is good but I like how the first half is like a storybook version of Anya's family. Then the lights go off and the "real" style comes into play for the rest of the opening.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Level 1 Thief posted:

She may be a telepath but she's also six and therefore dumb as rocks and makes decisions accordingly. The show's been doing a great job sitting on that line -- she thinks her superspy dad, of all people, would get rid of her if he finds out she can read minds.

Not even six. Probably four.

Also, imagine a small child revealing your most horrifying inner thoughts in front of your family. Not a surprise people would want to ditch her.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

chiasaur11 posted:

Not even six. Probably four.

Maybe 5, either way younger then what she claimed.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Kotoura-san was an anime that goes into basically what its like to be a telepath in a family or social situations where people didn't appreciate having their inner thoughts blurted out.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I have no idea who that counter-spy guy was in the first episode and why he'd leave them alone even if threatened?

But the show is good and I'm here for the people not the coldwar clancy nonsense.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

I have no idea who that counter-spy guy was in the first episode and why he'd leave them alone even if threatened?

But the show is good and I'm here for the people not the coldwar clancy nonsense.

Well, Lloyd threatened to expose his daughter's crimes and her life as well, no? Unless you're a complete monster, you'll back off. Also, that guy might come back later on anyway.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
English dub is real good y'all. Megan Shipman is perfect.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Is the English Dub on crunchyroll?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Should be.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

yes

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Ah, now I see; the dubbed version is in it's own "season" page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

SgtSteel91 posted:

Ah, now I see; the dubbed version is in it's own "season" page

That's how CR handles dubs in general. If there are any non-english ones they will also show up separately (see how JJK has dubs in 5 languages)