Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

cant cook creole bream posted:

Why do people feel the need to have romance introduced into this mission based spy story? Their allegiances just lie with their jobs and countries and they don't think about those things past the point of keeping their facade. Anything past that is unfounded speculation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Why do people feel the need to have romance introduced into this mission based spy story? Their allegiances just lie with their jobs and countries and they don't think about those things past the point of keeping their facade. Anything past that is unfounded speculation.

Source ur quotes

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Watch the upcoming movie have them kiss and then it all turns out to be in Anya's head.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Because it would be cute if Loid and Yor kissed, duh

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Changing username to BorboBorf

Loid prolly won't ever kiss Yor till the end for the same reason Ataru doesn't ever want Lum

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Detheros posted:

Because it would be cute if Loid and Yor kissed, duh

Fair point.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Anya's complete collapse when her bragging just fell apart back at school was :discourse:

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Jerusalem posted:

Anya's complete collapse when her bragging just fell apart back at school was :discourse:

:hmmyes:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The inner thoughts vs. actual dialogue was the best Yuri gag so far.

And in the end, nobody was happy.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

AlternateNu posted:

The inner thoughts vs. actual dialogue was the best Yuri gag so far.

And in the end, nobody was happy.

I know, right? I can't believe I laughed at a Yuri joke. Specifically that even though he didn't say everything in his head, he couldn't help but blurt the "liars are scum" part out loud.

Loid basically going "lie forever, never stop, just sell it better" in his head was funnier though

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Yes, yes, thank you, Loid.

Now kiss your wife.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Again with the sex pillows, I'm starting to think Loid doesn't know what they're used for.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
He knows. He just thinks it's a tactical advantage to throw the secret police brother in law off his game.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

yor and loid take seemingly dangerous and unintentional licenses (in this case, allowing genuine feeling and affection to creep into what are meant to be fake relationships in service of unimpeachable drives like patriotism or world peace) in order to externalize their guilt for giving way to the superegoic drive to enjoy (think for example of a person having an affair who might, seemingly inadvertently, leave lipstick on their collar and so make it appear that they are "trying to get caught": this is a way of subconsciously invoking exterior punishment and so in some way abnegating the guilt from the original offense). all of their inner monologues around whether or not they have "gone soft" are just another form of self-indulgence of this form. spy x family can be considered a psychoanalytic conflict between the big Other and the little other: observe, for instance, how none of the forgers have much experience with a "genuine" family but simultaneously are incredibly concerned with making sure that others perceive the family as "real". the resulting specular image of the family is a projection of their own egos in a way that has little to do with established norms: for instance, the running joke through the boat arc of anya manipulating loid by chastising him about what a "real" father would do in service of outcomes that are strange and silly to all observers, even anya herself.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I am honestly not sure if Loid and Yor are attracted to each other but they are sincerely dedicated to and enjoy each other and their daughter and that's already a miracle enough for all four of them.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Actually, I was having this discussion with my husband in the car yesterday: Yor has admitted in her head that maybe she could stop being an assassin and live a real life, Anya included. That proves she almost feels like a mom. Loid, on the other hand, always equates Anya to Operation Stryx. He still hasn’t really accepted his role as dad for real.

I’m hoping a break in that is coming at some point in the future.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
beyond all of the romantic subtext + making room for each other in each others’ lives + avoiding thinking about the end of operation strix/whether you need a cover story for assassination anymore respectively, they blush when they think about kissing each other which is the shonen jump equivalent of showing up to somebody’s house with a boombox playing peter gabriel

e: but yeah loid is still in the studious denial/intentionally avoiding thinking about it stage whereas yor has given things direct and conscious thought

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

We know if Loid wanted to he could seduce Yor, but that won't help the mission and he won't admit his feelings so here we are.

Kiss your wife, Loid.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Lying is so ingrained into what Loid has to do for a living that he is skilled enough to lie even to himself. He's actually convinced himself he doesn't want to kiss his wife, the poor dope.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am pretty sure the scene where Loid almost punched someone for insulting his family is a pretty clear indication he loves them, he is just not aware of it.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

ImpAtom posted:

I am pretty sure the scene where Loid almost punched someone for insulting his family is a pretty clear indication he loves them, he is just not aware of it.

He’s stuffing it down, but it’s only a matter of time before his true feelings surface and he gives Yor a big ol’ smack on the lips.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I foresee one of two outcomes here. The one I want is they do a big arc that climaxes in a profession of love change of status quo and a big kiss. The one more likely to happen is they save it for the big finale.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Final episode is Loid sitting at home with Yor and Anya watching TV. Phone rings and his handler tells him,"Mission's over, you can leave now if you want." Loid thanks her and hangs up, goes back to watching television, a watching Anya gets a big ol' smile on her face.

Also Loid kisses his wife.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Loid aside, as far as the Mom part of things goes, it took Yor like 3 chapters TOPs to go "oh, this is mine, I should kill everything that comes near it" in regards to Anya.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Rody One Half posted:

Loid aside, as far as the Mom part of things goes, it took Yor like 3 chapters TOPs to go "oh, this is mine, I should kill everything that comes near it" in regards to Anya.

To be fair the hard part wasn't the "kill everything that comes near it" bit.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
My dumb prediction is that for Loid the main hurdle will be to admit he genuinely loves his family and for Yor it will be to leave her job to actually be with her family. Garden doesn't look like a place that you can just leave or retire from, while on Loid's side, I don't think his Handler would have too many issues with just making him a permanent agent for Ostania/Berlint and letting him live with his family.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

I foresee one of two outcomes here. The one I want is they do a big arc that climaxes in a profession of love change of status quo and a big kiss. The one more likely to happen is they save it for the big finale.

It would be loving awesome if the last arc was the combo of spy plus assassin plus psychic against BOTH countries as Strix collapses and the now-real family was the fulchrum of the real solution.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Loid and Yor slaughter the existing political establishment, uniting the nation under the iron grip of Queen Anya

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Sephyr posted:

It would be loving awesome if the last arc was the combo of spy plus assassin plus psychic against BOTH countries as Strix collapses and the now-real family was the fulchrum of the real solution.

Yeah. Neither Yor nor Loid have really had their loyalties tested yet. Loid hasn't been asked to do any of the really unethical stuff spies may be asked to do, and Garden always justifies its assassination targets as being "criminals or disturbers of the peace". Even the insurgents in Ostania are usually depicted as ridiculous and wrongheaded; like that one guy Yuri arrested for printing the anti-Ostanian broadsheet where he was just making up stuff, despite Ostania being a place where there is a literal Stasi everyone lives in fear of being dragged off by, and a literal entire Mengele program.

It's a great series but it pulls its punches a little too much for the sake of the gag, and to keep the series ongoing as long as is plausible. So I don't expect all this to get put to any serious test until the series climax, but if it doesn't manage it even then, what are we even doing here.

usenet celeb 1992 fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 13, 2023

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Yeah. Neither Yor nor Loid have really had their loyalties tested yet. Loid hasn't been asked to do any of the really unethical stuff spies may be asked to do, and Garden always justifies its assassination targets as being "criminals or disturbers of the peace". Even the insurgents in Ostania are usually depicted as ridiculous and wrongheaded; like that one guy Yuri arrested for printing the anti-Ostanian broadsheet where he was just making up stuff, despite Ostania being a place where there is a literal Stasi everyone lives in fear of being dragged off by, and a literal entire Mengele program.

It's a great series but it pulls its punches a little too much for the sake of the gag, and to keep the series ongoing as long as is plausible. So I don't expect all this to get put to any serious test until the series climax, but if it doesn't manage it even then, what are we even doing here.

I mean, the simplest answer here is just that The Garden and WISE are each just one of many state programs in Ostania and Westalis, and our protags were recruited into them because of the relatively light moral burden of working for them. Yor could never be on Ostania's secret police, for example, and we have no idea whatsoever what else Westalis is up to.

The Occam's Razor here, of course, being that this simply might not be the story some think it is. Hell, I've seen more than one person frame the boat arc as Yor starting to realize she doesn't need to do her job anymore when it is literally the opposite of that.

There is a chance, and I'm bot saying it's concrete fact, there's a chance that the entire point isn't to have Yor and Loid turn against theor states, but just to have a believable backdrop for a really cool premise.

Although I have no doubt whatever program Anya was in is getting burned to the ground.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

They lost their one success in human testing and somehow misplaced one of their more promising animal subjects. The entire program is top to bottom flawed, getting burned to the ground is the least bad thing that can happen to them.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

They lost their one success in human testing and somehow misplaced one of their more promising animal subjects. The entire program is top to bottom flawed, getting burned to the ground is the least bad thing that can happen to them.

Or maybe they saw the future and realized that everything would work out for the best in a kooky sort of way if they just released Anya and Bond to face their destinies.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Poor Becky, poor Nightfall. Your best will never be good enough to compete with Yor.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Tag yourself. I'm Turbo Surippa

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
JET

HANGA---

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Also Yor is just the absolute best.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Xelkelvos posted:

Tag yourself. I'm Turbo Surippa

I want to think some of these names are completely Engrish and not a English/Japanese mix.

Turbo Surippa = Turbo Slipper
Jet Hanga- = Jet Hanger
Impact Taoru = Impact Towel

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
I completely forgot that:
a) Becky had a Forger family photo
and b) how she got it

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!