Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Diet Poison posted:

What's the deal with this English dub? It's terrible, right? I'm not alone on this? Thought I might rewatch the series from the beginning in English (or the first season, wherever they've made it up to by now) in English but I turned it off after an episode and a half. Absolutely no joy to it. I'm not entirely convinced it's not AI generated.

I've only listened to clips of the English dub, and my big takeaway was that Loid sounded way too old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I thought it was okay but I only watched some of the first season a while back so my memory's hazy :shrug:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2170370/SPYANYA_Operation_Memories/

Excited that the first Spy x Family game is coming out soon (June 28!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5ELdKYbzcg

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
saw a trailer for code white before a showing of demon slayer today. saw a few good anya faces and started getting hype. I guess we're getting a theatrical release in april

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My volume 11 just arrived today!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Just a couple more weeks until Code White comes out in theaters in America.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
FYI in Canada at least Spy X Family is now on Netflix along with the Crunchyroll English dub.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Arc Hammer posted:

FYI in Canada at least Spy X Family is now on Netflix along with the Crunchyroll English dub.

Ditto in the UK. Wish I’d known that before I started a Crunchyroll free trial to show it to some other people.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Glad to see it coming out on other streaming platforms because CrunchyRoll sucks.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I learned last week that the SxF movie is going up on Swedish cinema in like June or July. Now that was a slight surprise to find out as I was browsing the upcoming movies listing.

Will probably be dubbed, unless it's a limited release.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
is this the anime or manga thread? anyway i stopped reading a while back and want to get caught up. Last bit I remember is the end of the bus hijacking. Does anyone know what chapter I need to get back into it?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
This is the anime thread.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It says Anime right in the title, reading comprehension duh.

Looking forward to seeing the movie in IMAX, first anime I'll see in IMAX I think. At least I don't remember any previous anime movies with IMAX showings, just Fathom Events which don't go to large screen formats.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

Jose posted:

is this the anime or manga thread? anyway i stopped reading a while back and want to get caught up. Last bit I remember is the end of the bus hijacking. Does anyone know what chapter I need to get back into it?

You want Mission 75 (the epilogue) or Mission 76.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
thanks

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/real_hotaru/status/1776790980479308030?t=T8AP6Jy-v54R-xb8qBoa6w&s=19

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Oh poo poo W is there, watch out Anyas

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I reminds me of those Army of Anyas edits.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Just a reminder, the movie is in US theaters now if you wanted to go.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I'm going in a Mexican theatre because the collectible popcorn tins are gorgeous.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I wonder how soon the movie will come out on blu-ray / digital streaming.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I saw the movie: Its like a long episode quality wise. Didn't really feel like "movie material" but anime movies gonna movie. Anya very cute. Not enough Yor antics of super strength gap moe. It has some good gags and is overall light and funny. Biggest issue for me is the entire premise stretches the credulity of the Yor/Loid keeping their poo poo secret antics as the entire finale takes place on a military exploding air barge. Now its been a minute since I've read the manga or watched the series but I don't recall stuff being so explicitly out of bounds like that. Normally theres some semblance of a cover story that you can hand wave away the thrilling outcome. (Ie Yors cruise shenanigans or whatever). 3.5 stars, good if you just want more SpyxFamily - probably not super great at selling someone who has never seen it before. Oh and Yors big fight in the movie is not very fun at all.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 20, 2024

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Jerkface posted:

I saw the movie: Its like a long episode quality wise. Didn't really feel like "movie material" but anime movies gonna movie. Anya very cute. Not enough Yor antics of super strength gap moe. It has some good gags and is overall light and funny. Biggest issue for me is the entire premise stretches the credulity of the Yor/Loid keeping their poo poo secret antics as the entire finale takes place on a military exploding air barge. Now its been a minute since I've read the manga or watched the series but I don't recall stuff being so explicitly out of bounds like that. Normally theres some semblance of a cover story that you can hand wave away the thrilling outcome. (Ie Yors cruise shenanigans or whatever). 3.5 stars, good if you just want more SpyxFamily - probably not super great at selling someone who has never seen it before. Oh and Yors big fight in the movie is not very fun at all.

Mostly agree. It's pretty obviously not canon with how hand-wavy the whole premise ends up being.

That said. There was pleasantly little amounts of Yuri but on the flip side, disturbingly little amounts of Frankie. They went hard on the sakuga in a few scenes, but there was kind of no build up for Yor's big fight even if it was pretty at points.

Anya was the real star with the high point being her hallucination. :shrek:

Also, SOULSOUP rocks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H_k7iwrWVY

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

AlternateNu posted:

Mostly agree. It's pretty obviously not canon with how hand-wavy the whole premise ends up being.

That said. There was pleasantly little amounts of Yuri but on the flip side, disturbingly little amounts of Frankie. They went hard on the sakuga in a few scenes, but there was kind of no build up for Yor's big fight even if it was pretty at points.

Also, SOULSOUP rocks.

This music video kicks rear end

Also checking the credits I love they have Ramen Coordinators.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

AlternateNu posted:

Also, SOULSOUP rocks.

That whole sequence was a highlight as was her faces during the end sequence.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, I thought the movie was a lot of fun. Very goofy with good action but it does strain credulity that Loid could keep his secret after this one. Also make sure to stay all the way through the credits for an extra scene.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 20, 2024

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

The dream poop sequence was sublime

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It's a really fun ride if you like Spy Family and just want more of it. It might stretch the believability of the narrative, but who cares turn your brain off.

Besides, the shot when Loid tells Yor that he used to fly military airships in his spare time for fun with Anya's deadpan response was great.

This song rocks so much I was hoping they'd save it for the next season of the TV show.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah, I thought the movie was a lot of fun. Very goofy with good action but it does strain credulity that Loid could keep his secret after this one. Also make sure to stay all the way through the credits for an extra scene.

as the credits rolled i was asking the people i was with "what about frankie?"

anyway, fun little diversion. i loved how over the top evil the villain was

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

The dream poop sequence was sublime

POOP GOD!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also got a big laugh at Anya declaring that she was too cute to have ever pooped.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I know this has probably already been discussed to death, so pardon my addition to the conversation, but by accident, I saw the movie dubbed instead of subbed (in English).

Boy howdy, that's a different feel. Some characters, like Frankie, Fiona, Yuri, Damien and his goons, and Becky are smack dab right. It took me awhile to get used to Yor, but her hyper voice and Thorn Princess voice were perfect. I kinda disagree with Loid's voice being too old; his was one of my favorites. Kinda sounds like auditory chocolate for how smooth it is, which is great for a charismatic spy.

But Anya... holy poo poo, she sounds like a grown woman imitating a slurry gremlin. I don't understand Japanese well enough to pick up bad pronunciation, but she does it in the subtitles in the English sub and in the manga, so I assume the Japanese VA is doing it too. But still... to a philistine like me, in Japanese she sounds cute and like a kid. I didn't like English Anya VA and couldn't understand some of the lines she said because they had that heavy affectation (although, oddly enough, I could understand her animated writing, lol).

Tldr: don't watch the English dub if you like the sub.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like both the sub and dub of Anya :colbert:

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
Not sure if I wanna watch this or Boy Kills World tomorrow.

Not sure if it’s cinematic enough to warrant a ticket

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

GateOfD posted:

Not sure if I wanna watch this or Boy Kills World tomorrow.

Not sure if it’s cinematic enough to warrant a ticket

Both of those choices are rough imo. they're both in the wait for streaming category for me but i saw them in theaters thanks to regals mystery movie

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Jerkface posted:

Both of those choices are rough imo. they're both in the wait for streaming category for me but i saw them in theaters thanks to regals mystery movie

Yeah as someone who watched Boy Kills World I can confidently say do not spend money on Boy Kills World...

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
AMC has a similar thing.
I heard a lot of people walked out on Spy x Family on the AMC Unseen when they saw it was animated and subtitles started showing up

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
Saw the movie last night and enjoyed it, but you really have to suspend your disbelief or it kinda portrays Yor as an idiot for just blindly accepting things like Loid breaking into a plane to listen to the military radio and find out where Anya is (I know it's a running joke in the series that both of them are too dumb or so far removed from normal life that they don't notice things that are obviously weird about the other, but it felt stretched particularly far this time).
It also felt a bit contrived that the army brought along a random robot man on their airship that was kind of unrelated to the rest of the plot just so Yor had something to do (unless the microfilm were the plans for creating more robots and I missed that).

Thinking about it, it was kind of odd too that Loid allowed everyone that was in the control room to evacuate even though they saw his civilian face and know he's a master of disguise when this could get back to the secret police if they ever interrogated/interviewed the airship people

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*

TwoPair posted:

Yeah as someone who watched Boy Kills World I can confidently say do not spend money on Boy Kills World...

aww, i know it got mixed reviews, but seems the kind of thing you either love or hate for its style

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

InspectorCarbonara posted:

Saw the movie last night and enjoyed it, but you really have to suspend your disbelief or it kinda portrays Yor as an idiot for just blindly accepting things like Loid breaking into a plane to listen to the military radio and find out where Anya is (I know it's a running joke in the series that both of them are too dumb or so far removed from normal life that they don't notice things that are obviously weird about the other, but it felt stretched particularly far this time).
It also felt a bit contrived that the army brought along a random robot man on their airship that was kind of unrelated to the rest of the plot just so Yor had something to do (unless the microfilm were the plans for creating more robots and I missed that).

It reached the point that I actually wasn't even sure why Loid needed to not know Yor was on the ship, them tag-teaming in their violence while offering lame excuses to each other would be part of the fun.

I did expect a reveal that the robot would be one of the victims shown in the family restaurant's pictures, and it was a little sad they didn't try to go that route.