Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Agronox posted:

I'm far from an expert but it looks like an amalgam of Central Europe, the UK, and some American thrown in.

But I do enjoy the shoutouts to early and mid-20th century design and art. Take a look at the end credits again--there's a love letter to the Dutch painter Piet Mondrian in there, he of stuff like this:

He designed the Rubix Cube?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Having to take care of an aggressively adorable kid and pretend to be a bishounen dude's wife will do that to you.

She's not pretending. She really is Loid's legal wife. It's just that the marriage was conducted for secret motives on both sides.

And Loid's handsome, not pretty. Kind of eliminates bishounen as an appropriate description.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

chiasaur11 posted:

She's not pretending. She really is Loid's legal wife. It's just that the marriage was conducted for secret motives on both sides.

And Loid's handsome, not pretty. Kind of eliminates bishounen as an appropriate description.

Being legally married and being actually in love with your spouse are two different things. Also I thought bishounen was the general term for good looking anime dudes, which includes Loid because look at him, the man's handsome af.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Being legally married and being actually in love with your spouse are two different things. Also I thought bishounen was the general term for good looking anime dudes, which includes Loid because look at him, the man's handsome af.

he's probably a little old for that to fit

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

It does mean she's not pretending to be his wife, though.

And bishounen means attractive in an androgynous way. Guys like Loid are just old fashioned handsome.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Ikemen.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

derra posted:

Ikemen.

Arigato.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

bishonen = looks like sephiroth

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Tunicate posted:

bishonen = looks like sephiroth

I'm sure Loid could pull off the look since he is a master of disguise and all.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

I'm sure Loid could pull off the look since he is a master of disguise and all.

I think/hope that Loid could do that Lupin III thing where he could be anybody with his ridiculously good masks

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One thing I absolutely love about the anime is Anya's noises.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

TwoPair posted:

I think/hope that Loid could do that Lupin III thing where he could be anybody with his ridiculously good masks

He did it in the first episode, as a matter of fact.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
How old is Twilight supposed to be, anyway? He looks like he's in his early 30s but he has all the world-weariness of George Smiley.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

How old is Twilight supposed to be, anyway? He looks like he's in his early 30s but he has all the world-weariness of George Smiley.

Mid-late 20s like Yor roughly. He might be a tiny bit older than her but definitely not much.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Same age as Auron, anime 28.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
These aren't real spoilers just guesswork, but since it's based on some manga knowledge, I'll spoil it just to be courteous.

He doesn't have an official age but anywhere from 25-35 would make sense, and probably on the later end of that range.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Going to a bunch of high class traditional art stuff without understanding or caring about the art itself, just to keep up appearances and get into the mindset of being a rich gently caress, is the very essence of the rich gently caress mindset.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ragnar34 posted:

Going to a bunch of high class traditional art stuff without understanding or caring about the art itself, just to keep up appearances and get into the mindset of being a rich gently caress, is the very essence of the rich gently caress mindset.

Did you see how Yor was looking at that guillotine painting? I would say she understands and cares about the arts a lot.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

She's an efficient mover too

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am not sure what to make of Yor at the opera. Hot and bothered? Urge to murder rising? Pavlovian response? Given her reaction to blades and knives, it's probably some combination of the three.

Edit: I read the manga chapter and it read more like Yor’s brain is shorting out trying comprehend this

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Apr 24, 2022

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

I am not sure what to make of Yor at the opera. Hot and bothered? Urge to murder rising? Pavlovian response? Given her reaction to blades and knives, it's probably some combination of the three.

Edit: I read the manga chapter and it read more like Yor’s brain is shorting out trying comprehend this

it's hard to see but there's wisps of steam coming from her head from her brain overheating

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
this show is adorable and anya is the greatest

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Venuz Patrol posted:

it's hard to see but there's wisps of steam coming from her head from her brain overheating

I saw but I was misinterpreting it.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
drat this show's even got excellent filler.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Very close to good av material here

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
That ED is phenomenal.

Anya's reactions whenever she catches Loid even mildly considering taking her in as a mistake are so heartbreaking. :(

Chichi tsundere.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 24, 2022

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I thought the joke was that Yor's strongest emotion in reaction to opera is that it's hot as hell in there.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Did you see how Yor was looking at that guillotine painting? I would say she understands and cares about the arts a lot.

If all she cares about is what is being depicted then I don't think the art is what she's into. Yeah yeah I get it, who doesn't love a good guillotine, but that's not the only thing going on. What about the layers of context, the style and such? The subject matter is one dimension of many. She's appreciating art wrong. :mad:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
anya proudly giving yor a tour of the apartment was adorable

also anya immediately embracing the lesson that violence is the dispute resolution of first resort

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Is Anya a Chimera? I notice her doll has those same horn things she’s always wearing.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

She is a cute

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
If anyone was wondering, the opera they were seeing was Carmina Burana and the specific lines we heard during that scene were from the cantata Estuans Interius (Seething Inside):

Non me tenent vincula (chains cannot hold me)
Non me tenet clavis (keys cannot imprison me)
Quero mihi similes (I look for people like me)
Et adiungor pravis (and join the wretches)
Mihi cordis gravitas (the heaviness of my heart)
Res videtur gravis (seems like a burden to me)

It's a song about someone who has lost control of their life and has abandoned the path of virtue & salvation for a life of vice and the pleasures of the flesh

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Two Tone Shoes posted:

drat this show's even got excellent filler.

Is it filler really? It has some good character moments and shows Forgers working as a team. If they went straight from the proposal to the interview, it'd feel too rushed imo

Unless you mean filler as in not based on the manga, in which case they were individual scenes maybe but not the whole episode

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Nitrousoxide posted:

Is Anya a Chimera? I notice her doll has those same horn things she’s always wearing.

In the genetic sense maybe, given her background. Good catch.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

macabresca posted:

Is it filler really? It has some good character moments and shows Forgers working as a team. If they went straight from the proposal to the interview, it'd feel too rushed imo

Unless you mean filler as in not based on the manga, in which case they were individual scenes maybe but not the whole episode

The majority of this episode was new content. This isn't a complaint, a big part of Spy x Family's selling point as a manga is how quick it got off the ground but it's biweekly with tons of room for them to fill in stuff in the anime.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
So the filler really has been implemented well because it felt very natural. I read the manga a few years ago and I remembered something about catching a thief so I assumed it all was in the manga and I just forgot

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
The thief incident was definitely in the manga, though maybe as a side/extra chapter?

I think a lot of the test rehearsal was new, but just felt like such a natural extension of the main plot.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

macabresca posted:

So the filler really has been implemented well because it felt very natural. I read the manga a few years ago and I remembered something about catching a thief so I assumed it all was in the manga and I just forgot

It was. Loid had a better Bond one-liner though (though I get that's just a translation choice)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

There's also a lot of little things that weren't in the manga like the jokes about Anya "helping" with cleaning and cooking. Little moments like those really go a long way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The tour of the apartment is anime original and very much appreciated. I don't think we've seen any of the Forger's rooms in the manga. Which may not be a big deal, but it's a nice detail to have.