Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
So when do Crunchyroll put up the new episodes? I'm jonsing for my fix...:f5:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Huh, wasn't showing up on Crunchyroll for me. I expected it'd just automatically update new content, at least if/when you switched tabs, but apparently you need to close and reopen it to refresh it for new content. At least I know now, I guess.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Obviously Ostanian advertisers were ahead of the curve on renting out public spaces for marketing.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
So did Anya.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Agronox posted:

I'm far from an expert but it looks like an amalgam of Central Europe, the UK, and some American thrown in.

But I do enjoy the shoutouts to early and mid-20th century design and art. Take a look at the end credits again--there's a love letter to the Dutch painter Piet Mondrian in there, he of stuff like this:

He designed the Rubix Cube?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Maera Sior posted:

So, as a non-manga reader, I hope we're going to get something about why Yor being an assassin is different than Loid being a spy. Because right now her role seems purely to add another personality to the mix, given that Loid apparently can do everything she can. *insert griping about spies being really good at killing people instead of doing intelligence work*

Loid is the best spy Westalis has, and can basically take on the entire Westalis spy network solo but Yor was nearly able to overwhelm him, to the point he thought he might die, within a few seconds, while drunk and she only failed because she was too drunk to react to her shoe breaking. She is absolutely more capable as a fighter than Loid.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Well, as Loid said, she doesn't cook but she does keep the house clean and, more broadly speaking, she's an actual parental figure who's not just around when Loid isn't or can't be, but who fully believes in her role. Loid is a parental figure, but his parenting is directly tied to the mission and the two occasionally come into conflict in his mind as priorities. Yor has no actual greater cause for it; to her, Anya is her daughter, and that's that. She wants to raise her as it's own end, not just as a means to an end.

I'm going to put an additional bit of context in spoilers too, but it's something the anime has implied, if not outright stated (I can't remember if it's been explicit yet or not) and isn't a major spoiler regardless: Yor is not just someone who believes in her role as a maternal figure, but who has actual experience in that role, having raised her younger brother.

tsob fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 8, 2022

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Maera Sior posted:

This is anime, I'm not going to assume someone is a worse fighter when drunk.

She could be just as good drunk as sober and it'd still mean she can put Loid purely on the defense and overwhelm even that in a few seconds. You'd have to assume she's significantly better drunk than sober, without anyone actually giving any reason to think that's true beyond "well, it's anime", to conclude that she's not a far better fighter than him.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Something nobody's mentioned about the Loid and Yor fight is that Loid can't actually, y'know, fight back. If he actually went all out on Yor it would completely gently caress up his whole mission.

I'd venture they don't mention it because it's poppycock. He's applied non-lethal techniques before, and there's no reason he couldn't fight back within reason in that situation, since the whole game is to beat whatevers thrown at him. He might not want to injure Yor for the sake of a game, but he fought plenty of people up to that point without injuring them.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Show me the lie.

I'm greatly amused by all the fanart on twitter depicting Yor as some sort of crazed murder fetishist instead of the flustered doofus she actually is.

I mean, can you blame them given her reaction to knives in a restaurant and art of executions?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Sydin posted:

If I've got one nitpicky complaint, it's that Anya is now firmly in school and doing her mind reading shenanigans, and Loid's constantly getting new spy poo poo to do, but Yor's not gotten any assassinations. Yeah she does cool poo poo every episode and her interactions with Anya are adorable but like, the whole reason she agreed to this arrangement was so she could have a cover for her job as an assassin but we haven't seen her do that since her intro. I really hope this is just a temporary lull and not some "now that she's a main character she can't kill anybody" bs.

The answer to that involves spoilers, obviously. As such: [slight spoilers regarding the season's likely direction and manga in general, without giving any real detail] if the anime ends where it seems likely to end, then there won't be a huge amount of assassination work during the season for Yor, but there will be at least one episode that involves the outcome of an assassination she does right at the start of the episode. She doesn't do a huge amount of assassination work so far in the manga at all really, and only one arc that'd be 2 or 3 seasons into the show really focuses on her as an assassin, but the manga also never portrays it like she can't or won't kill anymore by any stretch either. What assassination she does is more of a background or setup for story lines generally, and not a central focus.

tsob fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 14, 2022

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kung Food posted:

Also there is probably more consistent spy work to do compared to assassination jobs.

I don't know that it'd be inconsistent in the kind of society the story takes place in really, but it is almost certainly less varied than spy work at the very least. Assassination missions are basically always going to be some variation of "go to the place, kill the guy", where spy missions can encompass a wider variety of things. Plus, at the end of the day, Loid is the main character and Yor isn't even the second main character (which is Anya); so Yor will always come in third place in terms of serving her narrative.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

MonsterEnvy posted:

Anya seems more main character then Twilight.

I don't think so, since the story starts from Loid's perspective and when they share scenes he's usually the point of view character. Plus, the main thrust of the story is his goal, and he's better placed to exposit things to the audience about the setting than Anya is too. Anya exists to throw a curve ball into his plans, to change his character, to make him question what his mission is etc. Not the other way around.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
What was that discourse even about? Both of those things are true, but what was either side trying to claim, ultimately?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

BlackPersona posted:

Maybe it's :thejoke: but it's spelled Loid because it's both Twilight's undercover identity and it's literally not a real first name, right?

I'm pretty it's a real first too. Not a particularly common one, but I'm pretty sure it is actually an Anglicization of Lloyd regardless.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Huh, I assume the episode released online for some people to say there's discussion of it, but Crunchyroll has a counter up saying it'll be another hour before it'll be live for me even though I'm logged in and I presume my account is still paid up and active. Anyone any idea why?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Arist posted:

The dub episodes drop at 5:30 Eastern, maybe that's it?

It's not dropping till 22:30 GMT for me, but it usually drops at 16:30 GMT; so it's going live 6 hours late today for some reason. Which seems odd, since it was presumably live the normal time in at least some other areas.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I just realized that the page for Spy x Family was defaulting to the English dub now, rather than the sub. So that's why it wasn't going live for 6 hours. The regular episode was live, once I switched page. Whoops :ignorance:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

She could be 4. Or 5. She might even actually be 6. We don't know her actual age. She probably is younger than 6, given the framing of that scene, but it's ambiguous what her real age is.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Spy x Family is going to be 26 episodes long apparently, and while I initially thought things would go along at a slower pace more like 1 episode to 1 chapter, ending on the first big "arc" in the manga, we're already at chapter 12 in the manga at episode 8; and that arc starts in chapter 18 or 19 (can't recall off hand). Which means after the initial longer chapters etc. it's settling into a 2 chapters per episode pace. So we'll probably see that arc over the middle of the season. As such, for the guy asking if there's ever any content covering Yor's assassination work then the season finale will probably be the arc that centers around her job; which takes place around the chapter 43 to 50ish mark, so would make sense as the end point of a 26 episode show generally doing 2 chapters an episode.

Which is generally good news, but does carry the one negative caveat that since the manga isn't even hugely far ahead of that at the moment (chapter 62.4; a bonus chapter, basically) just released; so it'll probably be a year or two before the anime launches into a second season, so the manga has time to get more content out.

tsob fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 29, 2022

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Electric Phantasm posted:

There is nothing more powerful than a dog holding a knife their mouth.

What about a dog holding a knife that's also a grenade ala MD Geist? That said, this sounds like cat propaganda to me :hai:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chiasaur11 posted:

Six is the high end estimate. She's more likely four or five. Which further explains the grades.

Loid doesn't know that, even presuming it's true. So it's not going to factor into how he treats Anya. He initially suspected it, and may even still do so, but Anya threw off his suspicions and he hasn't considered it since, so it's not something he's giving weight at the very least.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
To give the animators time to work properly and not just shove a hurried mess out the door to meet a schedule, I would assume.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Darth Walrus posted:

Also, I really think we need to talk about Yor asserting herself as the apex predator:

It reminds me of the faces in something like Hellsing. It's great.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Carlosologist posted:

Anya not being able to read the clock despite have the prophetic vision was a really good touch on how her powers aren't a game breaker by any sense of the imagination

I like that it's not just that she couldn't read the clock, but that even after finding out her time limit by asking someone else, it meant nothing to her because she had no conception of how long 30 minutes is.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

TwoPair posted:

An episode with SuperYor and some primo Anya faces, who could ask for anything more?

Handler being great; fortunately this episode had that too.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
What exactly is the relationship between Camilla and the other guy at the house with her? The fact they're living together would suggest couple, but she seems kind of dismissive of him and it feels like it's supposed to be a sibling relationship in one or two scenes, so I never quite settled on how it's supposed to be read.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I doubt it, just because the backstory she gave Loid is mostly the same as her actual backstory so far as I know and she just omitted "Oh, and I became a contract killer after my parents died, to support my brother". She gave her real place of birth, age etc. so far as I recall.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chiasaur11 posted:

"What a coincidence. My wife loves goulash as well. I guess it's really popular these days. Maybe that's the secret to how both my wife and the Thorn Princess can kick cars hard enough to knock them off the road."

"Nah, I'm just being silly; that's just how everyone else parallel parks."

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I won't deny that's cute as heck, but I also feel sorry for that dog. It must be nearly blind in that mask, and most dogs (animals full stop, really) loving hate having stuff put on them anyway, even if that thing doesn't also heavily restrict their vision.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

I said come in! posted:

Meant to also mention that I bought the first volume right after finishing all of the episodes!

Viz's digital membership is almost criminally cheap, at $2 a month for a fuckton of different manga in their entirety. Or at least, up to present on contemporary ones. You can read the manga up to present on the site if you buy a membership. Or even start a trial.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Sankara posted:

I don't like Yor's brother. Get him out of here.

I like him when he's not obsessing over Yor. Which isn't very often granted, but I liked him thinking of Anya as a little gremlin and then getting serious about helping her study this episode for instance. Which, yeah, predicated on his love for Yor, but still fun once he got into it. Him shouting about how good Yor's food is while puking is a fun gag too.

Annointed posted:

Anya poor poor Anya. One day you'll be the smartest.

She's the smartest around...when there's somebody smart around to copy.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Tunicate posted:

the bright side is that frantically trying to compete with people one year older than you is a highly-effective-if-brutally-difficult way to learn

that's thought to be why top professional athletes have a disproportionately large number of older siblings - Larry Jordan made it to collegiate basketball, his little brother spent his entire childhood trying to keep up, and made it to all-time great

I would assume there's some selection bias there, in that you really only hear about the cases where younger siblings successfully out-do their older siblings, but that there's probably a pretty high rate of burn out for younger siblings trying to out-do older siblings and just not being able to keep it up long term, eventually transitioning to other things if not just collapsing emotionally and mentally from the effort in worst case scenarios.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Unlucky7 posted:

I do think it is a victory that Anya managed to not completely fail her midterms without her mind reading crutch and is a genuine sign of growth

Sure, even Loid acknowledges that it's a good sign. He's just pretty exhausted from the stress, and knows it has to keep going further.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Pinwiz11 posted:

The difference is that Yor is better at her job than Loid is at his.

I don't think that's even kind of true. Not that I think Yor isn't amazing at her job, but the show has gone out of its way repeatedly to show that Loid is an exceptional spy who excels at a lot of things. He's struggling with this one specific mission, but only because the mission calls for a genius child who can excel at schooling and Anya isn't an academic or physical genius despite her other strengths, so nothing he does can cover for that entirely.

Loid and Yor are both great at what they do, and I don't think the show has ever said or implied one is better than the other within their specific field.

tsob fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Nov 16, 2022

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Eggplant Squire posted:

As was said she has a cover job that pays and doesn't seem to be living a lavish lifestyle so why does she need to keep doing it to support just herself? I guess it could be something akin to "I have never actually thought about NOT doing it since I've been doing it for so long" but that's not really been expressed.

It hasn't been explicitly stated, but I do think you could take that from the joy she felt when Anya and Loid liked her cooking. Her inner thoughts are that she thought she wanted to learn to cook to protect her cover story so could continue killing, but just having them acknowledge her makes her really happy. Not so much "I don't want to keep killing when I have this" or anything, and more "I never even thought about a life outside that" and now she's starting to find joy in other things as well as killing to protect peace.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

There Bias Two posted:

That episode had so many incredible little details. I think it's probably my favorite so far.

I just noticed this episode that Twain and Nafalia's shirts while playing in the Campbelldon have Wise' logo on it. All of their equipment is marked; their tracksuits while meeting Campbell after they win have Wise literally written on the chest and the rackets have Wise written on them too. Also, I don't know if the cheating team during the match is supposed to line up like this, but...

The Floor Dent Team guy's hair is flat like a floor plate, the Net Raising/Lowering Team guy's hairline has an extreme contrast in it's height, the Wind-Blowing Team guy's hair is windswept and the Sniper Team guy's head looks like a bullet because of the tight cap he's wearing. The wind guy's hair is an obvioius reference at the least, but the rest is questionable; I find them funny regardless though.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Saoshyant posted:

She seems to be attracted to perfection, being strict with kids, and having a job focused drive. I think I know someone she could hit it off with in this series in spite of the age gap.

I'm just presuming that she'll eventually meet Yuri and they'll end up as mutually obsessive lovers, personally.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

muscles like this! posted:

To be fair to Nightfall it isn't like she's trying to break up a real marriage. Like both Yor and Loid still view it as a fake relationship.

To be fair to everyone else, Handler has told Fiona not to try to do so because it'd make the mission more difficult and Loid has repeatedly tried to push her out of doing things that'd make them seem like a couple because it'd make his undercover life more awkward as well as because while he still thinks of Yor as normal, he also knows she's incredibly strong and would gently caress Fiona up so she's treading dangerous ground by trying to engage with her as a rival. Fiona is deliberately ignoring all advice and indicators that what she's doing is a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kwyndig posted:

If I'm reading that situation right, Yor made a killshot and Fiona only barely dodged and tried to return the serve. Do not gently caress with Yor.

I don't think it was deliberately meant to be a killshot; I think Yor is just so strong and unedcuated about the rules of tennis (re: the ball must bounce once before it's legal or whatever) that when she served she served it where she thought it should go, i.e. right at Fiona, but it basically became a bullet.