Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Finally got around to checking out the first episode on Hulu and next thing I know I've binged through all of them, and now I'm sad I'm caught up. I'm seriously considering rewatching them all over again.

I was originally planning on trying to be an adult and sleeping tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Anya has had the best faces in the show so far, but I think Loid's expression when he was listening to Yor tell Yuri that she forgot to tell him was up there with some of hers.

Show good

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Sydin posted:

Twlight finally decides to be somewhat suspicious of his wife and it immediately makes him feel like an rear end in a top hat. I also like the irony of Yor being so worried about seeming suspicious to the secret police when it's clear they could send several squads after her and she'd mow through them without breaking a sweat.

Serious Yor is a legitimate scary character. I assume eventually we're going to see her meet her match or get placed in a bad situation, but right now I'm enjoying her being the most dangerous character in the series by a wide margin.

quote:

I've uh... I've had enough of Yuri. For a show that's so far done a really good job of having unique spins on its humor, Yuri's generic childhood marriage promise to his sister thing just kinda sucks. Hopefully he drifts out of focus or at a minimum his character gets taken in a different direction.

Yeah, as he is now he's definitely a character that works best in small doses.

lol I didn't even notice the knifehand when I watched the episode

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Lethemonster posted:

Kiss your dangerous wife, loid.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Holy poo poo, this might be the best episode yet.

I loving love this show. It's already a serious contender for my 'favorite shows of all time' list

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

Anya's voice actress killed it this episode

Absolutely, and I feel like she had a lot of fun with this episode. She had a ton of variety to explore.

Also, my favorite part of the episode might have been Anya squirmming around in Loid's grasp. Lot of shows wouldn't bother with that, but it makes her feel like she's a little kid and I appreciate that

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Yor loving ended that man. She's a good mama, Loid's a good papa.

I really hope they don't change the OP/EP when the show comes back. They're perfect as is, and everything that follows will be less so

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

I still love it when Yor casually does superhuman poo poo, like when she jumped into the rafters, or caused that one dude to bounce off the alley walls several times.

And Anya is, as always, a perfect precious creature. Liking the doggo too.

Yeah, Yor is a goddamn monster and I love it.

chiasaur11 posted:

Anya and Yor may not be related by blood, but when you see them imagining worst case scenarios, it's pretty obvious that they're family.

:hmmyes:

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Also, I really think we need to talk about Yor asserting herself as the apex predator:

I struggle with wanting Yor to have more to do and also recognizing that she would end the vast majority of the issues in the show within ten seconds if it was up to her

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

SexyBlindfold posted:

Yeah it was brought up a while ago, but I'm guessing that Yor doesn't get much to do because showing a lead character routinely merking people (many of whom, for all we know, might have just got on the wrong side of the Ostanian deep state) might eventually make her less sympathetic. This does have the side effect that the only thing Yor is "allowed" to do in the meantime is to Punch Really Hard, which is great to watch but doesn't do a great job at making her stand out, since Loid can Punch Okay and also does a shitload of crazy stunts. We'll eventually get a very good Yor-centric arc, but as mentioned before that'd be next season at the earliest unless they skip a ton of content.

I wonder if the mangaka regrets making Yor an assassin

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

I was half expecting to see Yor stop the car head on with the kick, not just kicking the side.

She probably can, I just assume kicking it from the side made it easier to look like an accident

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Some great Loid expressions in today's episode

Omnicrom posted:

The "They Are Whispering" popup killed me as dead as Yor's cooking.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Kwyndig posted:

Loid already has a wife, with papers and everything so it's nice and legal.

Kiss your wife Loid.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

tsob posted:

I like him when he's not obsessing over Yor. Which isn't very often granted, but I liked him thinking of Anya as a little gremlin and then getting serious about helping her study this episode for instance. Which, yeah, predicated on his love for Yor, but still fun once he got into it. Him shouting about how good Yor's food is while puking is a fun gag too.

The puking gag is still great (with the follow-up gag of Bond just passed out on the floor after trying Yor's cooking and no one saying anything about it was hilarious), but yeah, Yuri's obsession makes it hard to like the character. I feel like he's the one big misstep in the series so far; Yuri could have been just overprotective of his older sister instead of obsessive, and he still would have been a threat to Loid (both on a micro and macro level to his mission), but it was taken too far. Hell, he still could love Yor's cooking and constantly puke while eating it without the obsession, all you have to say is that's what he grew up with and it reminds him of good times, and it works fine.

Electric Phantasm posted:

It is kind of incredible Anya saw a vision of her cool spy dad die and came face to face with an actual bomb and only came out of that with a slight traumatization of not being able to read a clock properly.

It's very shonen protag of her

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Not nearly enough kissing or cuddling on this show!

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Caught up on my shows today, and while I wasn't expecting a beam struggle in Spy x Family, I am so goddamn happy we got one.

TwoPair posted:

"If I could only give myself a uterus this would be so much easier..."

If you gave Loid the time and budget, I have no doubt he would significantly advance gender-affirming care if it was for the sake of the mission

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Also, you could argue that Loid and Fiona are superhuman in their own right; obviously not on Yor's level, but far beyond the average person

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Fighting Trousers posted:

I also liked that his spy instinct - "She's into me? Put ~The Moves~ on her" - is completely wrong, but being honest with her - he felt safe with his mother and he's glad Anya feels safe with her - is completely correct.

My favorite part of that exchange was that not only is his spy instinct completely wrong, but he immediately eats poo poo for it too (as he deserved)

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Now that I think about it, Anya was out for a long time. I wonder if that was just her just being sleepy, or if Donovan's presence had something to do with that

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Ammat The Ankh posted:

New ED is a bop.

For some reason, Crunchyroll lists Season 2 as "S1: SPY x FAMILY (Eps 26+)" if you're having a hard time finding it.

Yeah, same for Hulu, it messed me up for a second.

The faces in this episode are amazing

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Yor is a scary woman

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Amazing episode.

Still hate adult Yuri, but seeing kid Yuri being torturednutured by kid Yor is always a delight

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Kwyndig posted:

Kiss your wife Loid.

Many people are saying this

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

cant cook creole bream posted:

I wonder if Yuri will ever develop past his one bad joke.

The joke's at the point where I'm not going to care about how dangerous he might be by the time he and Loid encounter each other on the field

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Rody One Half posted:

other arcs could top it if one of them would JUST HAVE LOID AND YOR loving KISS GOD drat IT

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Anya's complete collapse when her bragging just fell apart back at school was :discourse:

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Preechr posted:

Every woman Loid knows is some kind of busted, it’s just that Yor is busted more than most.

Not just busted, but "poo poo she could kill me with little effort" busted.

And he's into that

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

Bond is such a good dog.:qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Diet Poison posted:

What's the deal with this English dub? It's terrible, right? I'm not alone on this? Thought I might rewatch the series from the beginning in English (or the first season, wherever they've made it up to by now) in English but I turned it off after an episode and a half. Absolutely no joy to it. I'm not entirely convinced it's not AI generated.

I've only listened to clips of the English dub, and my big takeaway was that Loid sounded way too old