Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

I mean, in Anya's case that's just going Sherlock Holmes rather than Father Brown. Mind reading is impossible, kids being weirdly observant is possible (if sometimes unlikely) so Anya is just weirdly observant.

Yor is the impressive blindspot.

People say this, but I don't really agree. We're working backwards from the solution. Loid has no reason to suspect Yor is an assassin. It's not a video game class, it doesn't give you super human strength when you take it. That Yor is a particularly talented fighter is something to key into, but is somewhat justified by the fact that she was a girl alone raising her brother by doing possibly questionable odd jobs. It makes sense she would learn to defend herself, especially if her strength is to be taken as abnormal in universe.

There's really nothing about her that screams assassin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
Bill Watkins having a deep voice was the wrong choice...

Until you hear that boy excitedly exclaim "Daddy!" at which point it becomes clearr that there was no beyter choice that could have been made.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
The thing is, we see why Anya's shot failed. She remembered every step... except the release.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

they're husband and wife she's just a tsundere, pretty sure

Dating, not yer married. Hence her snipping at Yor for "bragging" about being married.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

Yor's character would work a lot better if we understood her motives. She wants to be a good mom because that was the role she had with her brother as orphans, okay. She wanted to marry someone to keep her assassin job going uninterrupted... but why exactly? She's been a good assassin over the years but that shouldn't be the sole reason to keep doing it now as an adult. It's not a matter of raising money for her brother anymore and she isn't concerned about politics either. "I've always done it" is a pretty piss poor motive.
It's also a very realistic one. Sometimes you just get stuck doing what you've always been good at because that's what you've always done, regardless of whether or not you enjoy it. It's comfortable and it would take something big to shake you out of it.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
Spy x Family has two primary characters and neither of them is Yor is the thing.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

TwoPair posted:

I had thought about that too but if he was a psychic, I feel like Loid would not have been able to leave that meeting alive (or at least, without being captured)

If, hypothetically, he has Anya's powers, Loid is much much more useful in the wind than he is captured.

Cynically: That's a free source of intel for Donovan that is eager to get into his presence as frequently as possible.

Optimistically: He is confirmation that, at least as far as this high level intel agent is aware, the Westalis government has no stomach for war and is actively taking steps to prevent it.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Tunicate posted:

Anya is going to max out her stellas and bolts simultaneously

That would just lead to her being expelled.

Honestly, I do want Anya to get better at school. Never actual straight A student, but a solid C student with a pet subject.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

tsob posted:

Would it? Cause I'm pretty sure it's an open question what would happen then, given she's both an imperial schooler deserving of distinguishment and a troublemaker deserving of expelling. Which is what makes it such a fun idea to land on, because no-one would have any real idea what to do.

The consequences for 8 bolts is immediate expulsion.

The reward for 8 Stellas is being allowed to come to a party.

These two things are not opposites and, thus, do not negate one another. Even if they wanted to honor the recipient of 8 Stellas despite receiving 8 bolts they can still allow them to attend the party as a former Imperial Scholar after expelling them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Yeah. Neither Yor nor Loid have really had their loyalties tested yet. Loid hasn't been asked to do any of the really unethical stuff spies may be asked to do, and Garden always justifies its assassination targets as being "criminals or disturbers of the peace". Even the insurgents in Ostania are usually depicted as ridiculous and wrongheaded; like that one guy Yuri arrested for printing the anti-Ostanian broadsheet where he was just making up stuff, despite Ostania being a place where there is a literal Stasi everyone lives in fear of being dragged off by, and a literal entire Mengele program.

It's a great series but it pulls its punches a little too much for the sake of the gag, and to keep the series ongoing as long as is plausible. So I don't expect all this to get put to any serious test until the series climax, but if it doesn't manage it even then, what are we even doing here.

I mean, the simplest answer here is just that The Garden and WISE are each just one of many state programs in Ostania and Westalis, and our protags were recruited into them because of the relatively light moral burden of working for them. Yor could never be on Ostania's secret police, for example, and we have no idea whatsoever what else Westalis is up to.

The Occam's Razor here, of course, being that this simply might not be the story some think it is. Hell, I've seen more than one person frame the boat arc as Yor starting to realize she doesn't need to do her job anymore when it is literally the opposite of that.

There is a chance, and I'm bot saying it's concrete fact, there's a chance that the entire point isn't to have Yor and Loid turn against theor states, but just to have a believable backdrop for a really cool premise.

Although I have no doubt whatever program Anya was in is getting burned to the ground.