Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The manga is extremely funny and the show looks amazing so this seems like a winner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They're about to stream the first episode of the dub if anyone cares:

https://www.twitch.tv/crunchyroll

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Well, it's over now. It was pretty good! Loid's voice is a bit deeper than I had anticipated, and Anya's a bit less of a gromlin, but they're good voices. Megan Shipman especially does excellent work at making Anya sound like a very young child.

If you missed it, they uploaded a clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnyDT-nkA6A

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

yes

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's a bad way to display things!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

a kitten posted:

efb
Natalie Van Sistine I think. I'm out of touch on dubs so I'm not familiar with her though

I'm extremely in touch on dubs and I've never heard of her, she's legitimately pretty new to the scene. That's not a judgment of her ability, however.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Watching the dub for episode 2 now that it's up. Yor's voice is kind of throwing me. It's not a bad performance at all, but it's much more serious and played-straight than I was expecting for Yor, who's honestly pretty spacy. My best guess for why they went this route is that it seems like it plays well opposite Alex Organ's extremely straight-laced and serious Loid, which would suggest they're intentionally trying to play Loid and Yor a bit lower-key as a contrast to Anya being a cartoon trash goblin.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I know it almost certainly was added in the translation of the original manga I read, but Anya saying "My father is a spy... spychiatrist" was so good and I'm a little bummed the subs didn't keep it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sorry, I just meant I preferred the original phrasing of that joke. I know they didn't cut it outright.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I was a little bummed initially because I was really excited for the next chapter, but they went over-the-top with that one.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I want to know what the lyrics for the opening are so I can understand why it ends with a picture of a stomach.

It's something like "these secrets and lies are giving me an upset stomach" at that point iirc

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Xelkelvos posted:

From what I've heard, in the manga, there was a lot less excitement by the other spies in doing this and seemed to be more annoyance than anything. The anime is an improvement

In the manga Loid didn't fight any of the other spies, but they're shown wanting to get his autograph so they're not actually like, annoyed or anything. The entire fight and chase sequence was added up until Yor drunkenly attacks Loid.

The castle stuff is only like a third of the chapter this episode adapts.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

We are not going to get that far this season at the rate we're going. Maybe it'll be how they end a two-cour season 2.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

People are assuming she's four or five because that's what Loid assumed, and he was probably right.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

tsob posted:

Huh, I assume the episode released online for some people to say there's discussion of it, but Crunchyroll has a counter up saying it'll be another hour before it'll be live for me even though I'm logged in and I presume my account is still paid up and active. Anyone any idea why?

The dub episodes drop at 5:30 Eastern, maybe that's it?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Lethemonster posted:

Loid has learned to infer peoples actual intentions and core principles and it is completely blindsiding him here. Perfecting spycraft so he can see under the surface has left him almost ignoring the surface of other people, he is so used to it all being a front. Yor is, at heart, a good and air headed person who only cares about looking after Anya and her other loved ones. She doesnt have a malicious bone in her body and he cant reconcile being a genuine softie with being a super threat, if he even registers it.

Every violent and super strong thing she has done in front of him has come from a place of non-malice. Being concerned for him (like kicking the attacked across the alley), protectiveness (drunkenly thinking Anya is really in trouble), slapping Yuri across the room (fueled by shy embarassment). The man is constantly pulling off super feats himself and what he is looking for in other people is intent.

He is, also, a big himbo outside of his spy persona. He wants to kiss his wife and doesnt want to admit it to himself. The less he assesses her, the less he goes near those feelings. I bet he has never had a relationship outside of fake spy ones.

Kiss your dangerous wife, loid.

:hmmyes:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Tunicate posted:

Oh wow, next episode is the 'finale' according to crunchyroll

It's taking a cour off but it'll be back with the rest of the season in the fall.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Unlucky7 posted:

Some pillarmen rear end looking dogs in that first store there.

Also TIL that crunchyroll does not allow screenshots.

Turn off hardware acceleration in your browser :ssh:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh gently caress yes, next episode is Daybreak

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Nah, it was in the manga. At least, the George half was, I don't actually remember the Yor half of this episode in the manga.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

No, it's ongoing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This is the anime thread