Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
SPY X FAMILY is a new anime from Wit Studios and Cloverworks based on the popular manga by Tatsuya Endo.

Here's how MAL describes the plot:

quote:

For the agent known as "Twilight," no order is too tall if it is for the sake of peace. Operating as Westalis' master spy, Twilight works tirelessly to prevent extremists from sparking a war with neighboring country Ostania. For his latest mission, he must investigate Ostanian politician Donovan Desmond by infiltrating his son's school: the prestigious Eden Academy. Thus, the agent faces the most difficult task of his career: get married, have a child, and play family.

Twilight, or "Loid Forger," quickly adopts the unassuming orphan Anya to play the role of a six-year-old daughter and prospective Eden Academy student. For a wife, he comes across Yor Briar, an absent-minded office worker who needs a pretend partner of her own to impress her friends. However, Loid is not the only one with a hidden nature. Yor moonlights as the lethal assassin "Thorn Princess." For her, marrying Loid creates the perfect cover. Meanwhile, Anya is not the ordinary girl she appears to be; she is an esper, the product of secret experiments that allow her to read minds. Although she uncovers their true identities, Anya is thrilled that her new parents are cool secret agents! She would never tell them, of course. That would ruin the fun.

Under the guise of "The Forgers," the spy, the assassin, and the esper must act as a family while carrying out their own agendas. Although these liars and misfits are only playing parts, they soon find that family is about far more than blood relations.

Cast and notable staff!
  • Eguchi Takuya (Hachiman from Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru) as Lloyd Forger
  • Hayami Saori (uh, Yukinoshita from Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru) as Yor Forger
  • Atsumi Tanezaki (Vivy from Vivy: Flourite Eye's Song) as Anya Forger
  • Directed by Furuhashi Kazuhiro, who has had a very long career and might be most well known for directing Hunter x Hunter.

Links and fun facts!
  • The manga is currently in its seventh volume and has sold over 15 million copies. You can read the first and most recent three chapters over at MangaPlus.
  • One of our very own goons, Clarste, was one of the first English translators for the series.
  • The mid-century Cold War aesthetic here is pretty unusual for anime. If you find design interesting, pay close attention to the furniture and transportation.
  • MyAnimeList page.
  • Crunchyroll page.

SPY X FAMILY streams on Crunchyroll on Saturdays at 8:30 AM Pacific.

2nd cour key visual:

Agronox fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Anya is cute as heck.

She has many good reactions.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Waffleman_ posted:

Spies will really adopt a child for the sake of a diplomatic mission and rescue them from kidnappers instead of going to therapy

I really liked the dark comedy of that scene.

"Yeah, Anya, take her, whatever."
"Okay, so about the paperwork..."
"Don't worry about it, strange single man who I know nothing about."

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Raenir Salazar posted:

I wonder how accurate the designs are for East Germany/Former USSR/Eastern Bloc in terms of interior design, architecture, cars etc.

I'm far from an expert but it looks like an amalgam of Central Europe, the UK, and some American thrown in.

But I do enjoy the shoutouts to early and mid-20th century design and art. Take a look at the end credits again--there's a love letter to the Dutch painter Piet Mondrian in there, he of stuff like this:

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Very close to good av material here

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Always nice to see Yor beat the poo poo out of cattle.

My thoughts on this episode:

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
While watching this I was like, "wow I don't remember this chapter at all."

Because something like 80% of this episode was anime-original! They did a pretty good job with it, too. You'd never know that it's "filler."

If anyone wants to compare versus the manga: https://spyxmanga.com/manga/spy-x-family-chapter-6/

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
It's your cousin, Fraude Fakee

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Surprised it wasn't Rose or something, since she's the Thorn Princess...

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
wow

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
They made Parles cry and they must pay

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Fiona is great

The tennis sequences were a lot of fun

https://giant.gfycat.com/OrnateWealthyCow.webm

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Great ep. I always like storylines where friends help make each other better people, so the Becky/Anya half was :3:

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
let's abandon anya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Just a reminder, the movie is in US theaters now if you wanted to go.