Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

yeah ive been watching the first seasons and the previews for the last season hes aged from "kinda old" which is what he looked like in the 90s to semi cryptkeeper

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Kenny Logins posted:

the flashbacks to early seasons in the curb finale were bonkers, he looked so different

yeah but that was 20 years ago lol

that's like saying patrick stewart looks different in picard than he did in the last star trek movie. same amount of time even

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
maybe it's the contents of their usual jobs, too, because david and devito have two of the most secure jobs in show biz

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

mark rowswell is decently funny, consistently amusing over the last decade at least

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

betty boof posted:

I wasn't a huge fan of chappelle's show and honestly I haven't seen much of his stand-up but I can't imagine that it could possibly reach the level of hackiness that Seinfeld's did. Literally the funniest thing about him is and always has been Larry David.

Also he dated a high school girl when he was almost 40 and he's a scientologist

chappelle's early standup wasn't hacky at all and was definitely funnier than his show imo. i remember the show being very funny but i don't doubt that i'd find it less so today, otoh i saw one of his standup specials from like 2000 or so a few years ago and it was still very good

i don't really remember many of seinfeld's jokes tbh, but i remember finding it amusing enough to not be boring but not hilarious or anything. and yeah, he's a piece of poo poo person

bob dobbs is dead posted:

yeah, larry david is just better than him in every way. comedy, morality, politics, hair

yep. larry is great and truly a comedic genius

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

maybe it's the contents of their usual jobs, too, because david and devito have two of the most secure jobs in show biz

eh maybe, they've both had a very identifiable look for even the past 20 years though. like, yeah, they both looked younger 20 years ago, but who didn't lol

you can still tell it's them though, and imo they both aged pretty gradually

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I liked Chappelle's show. never really "got" Seinfeld. Curb is great. thanks for coming to my Ted talk

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
looks like they finished up curb a month ago

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
there's nothing to "get" about seinfeld. the characters are all pieces of poo poo and most of the episodes are just showing their hijinks

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

looks like they finished up curb a month ago

yeah even though he says it every time, this past season really was the last

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

devito is just a treasure. he directed Matilda and then eventually joined the sunny cast

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Beeftweeter posted:

there's nothing to "get" about seinfeld. the characters are all pieces of poo poo and most of the episodes are just showing their hijinks

yeah so is sunny except sunny is funny

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

PokeJoe posted:

devito is just a treasure. he directed Matilda and then eventually joined the sunny cast

hes the penguin

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

PokeJoe posted:

yeah so is sunny except sunny is funny

idk man seinfeld is pretty widely considered to be hilarious, because it is

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

sunny is the longest running sitcom of all time

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

it's clearly better than Seinfeld:shrug:

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

PokeJoe posted:

sunny is the longest running sitcom of all time

incorrect, it's Living with the Kangs

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
they're both very funny but sunny probably wouldn't exist without seinfeld

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

dioxazine posted:

incorrect, it's Living with the Kangs

lol

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah even though he says it every time, this past season really was the last

i couldn't see him wanting to go on without richard lewis

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

they're both very funny but sunny probably wouldn't exist without seinfeld

seinfeld crawled so curb could walk
curb walked so sunny could run

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
well you probably do have to be a new yorker and/or aware of american jewish culture to "get" some parts of seinfeld i guess, although the level of jewish culture is probably less than curb

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i have the seinfeld run and try to watch it. i usually last about an episode and a half. jerry is a tragically unfunny person

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i would rather rewatch the sunny ep where they resell gas out of trash cans for the 31st time than dive into a new-to-me seinfeld where jerry talks about how this girl just won't do the thing he wants!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Jonny 290 posted:

i have the seinfeld run and try to watch it. i usually last about an episode and a half. jerry is a tragically unfunny person

jerry is the worst part of the show. watch episodes centered on george, kramer or elaine

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Jonny 290 posted:

i would rather rewatch the sunny ep where they resell gas out of trash cans for the 31st time than dive into a new-to-me seinfeld where jerry talks about how this girl just won't do the thing he wants!

there's only barely a continuity. you can watch them out of order

the only real plot arc is iirc season 4? anyway the one where nbc wants to make a show called "jerry" starring jerry seinfeld so he writes the pilot with george. there's a couple of other arcs but honestly they don't matter, you'll get the idea anyway. it's actually pretty well written

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
like if you want me to recommend some episodes i'll have to take a look at a list but i can, i'm sure i'm not the only one itt that likes it though so others can throw out suggestions too

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Jonny 290 posted:

Oh, it's easy, dude. You pour gas into the car using one of these funnels, right? And I count how much gas is going into the car.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Beeftweeter posted:

like if you want me to recommend some episodes i'll have to take a look at a list but i can, i'm sure i'm not the only one itt that likes it though so others can throw out suggestions too

But we're oil men. We would have Southern accents.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

PokeJoe posted:

Oh, it's easy, dude. You pour gas into the car using one of these funnels, right? And I count how much gas is going into the car.

keep the money moving

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
anyways the funniest part about every sitcom from 93-10 is how some jokester is able to have a whole rear end apartment with a nice view of manhattan on their own by being like, a standup comic or a weather reporter or whatever. like rofl

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

PokeJoe posted:

you don't have to do this if you take the train

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

she won't do the thing???

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
she won't! something about consent or something!

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

she won't! something about consent or something!

consent? bah! everyone has to do the thing!

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

if you didn't have to do the thing, then it wouldn't be called the thing! that's why it's the thing! c'mon!!!

mystes
May 31, 2006

Branch Nvidian posted:

consent? bah! everyone has to do the thing!
this is called manufacturing consent (in the vein of "mansplaining")

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

mystes posted:

this is called manufacturing consent (in the vein of "mansplaining")

i once went to an interpretive midnight performance of the vagina monologues that was done entirely by men. pretty enlightening

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Jonny 290 posted:

anyways the funniest part about every sitcom from 93-10 is how some jokester is able to have a whole rear end apartment with a nice view of manhattan on their own by being like, a standup comic or a weather reporter or whatever. like rofl

in the show jerry is fairly wealthy and successful though. like, "makes $5k per set and does a few per week" wealthy (iirc, it's been a few years since i watched it)

but irl back then those types of places were on the pricier side of course, but still relatively affordable tbh. even up until like 2010 those weren't nearly as expensive as they are now. you could rent a real nice 2br in jersey city, right on the hudson, facing manhattan for $2k/mo in 2015, and that'd be like twice the size of jerry's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Branch Nvidian posted:

i once went to an interpretive midnight performance of the vagina monologues that was done entirely by men. pretty enlightening
was it called the vagina manologues?