Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Pro-Wrestling Champion for May, 2022?
This poll is closed.
:homebrew: Kazuchika Okada (IWGP World Heavyweight Champion) 4 4.26%
:horse: Hangman Adam Page (FORMER AEW Champion) 40 42.55%
CM Punk (AEW Champion) 24 25.53%
:pilot:Josh Alexander (Impact World Champion) 2 2.13%
:krakken: Shoko Nakajima (Princess of Princess Champion) 3 3.19%
:skeltal: Thunder Rosa (AEW Women's Champion) 2 2.13%
:black101: Arisa Nakajima (Beyond the SEA Champion) 2 2.13%
:greenangel: Syuri (World of Stardom Champion) 5 5.32%
:troll: Charlotte Flair (FORMER Smackdown Women's Champion) 0 0%
:hayter: Ronda Rousey (Smackdown Women's Champion) 0 0%
:radcat: Tasha Steelz (Impact Knockouts Champion) 0 0%
Kento Miyahara (Triple Crown Heavyweight Champion) 0 0%
:baby: El Lindaman (G-REX Champion) 12 12.77%
:redflag: KAI (Open the Dream Gate Champion) 0 0%
:supaburn: Tetsuya Endo (KO-D Openweight Champion) 0 0%
:choco: (None of the Above) 0 0%
Total: 94 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Well it was a close run thing, but in April God returned to his rightful place on the throne at last. After a 32 month absence, Kazuchika Okada was once again Punch Sport Pagoda's Pro-Wrestling Champion of the Month, extending his lead as the winningest champion of these polls with his 21st victory as monthly champion. His closest competitor in that regard is CM Punk's 16, with the two of them also matched as 3 times winners of Champ of the Year. CM Punk's defeat of Hangman Adam Page means he is once again eligible and seems the only wrestler capable of catching up to Okada, but for now and forever, April 2022 will always be the year that Kazuchika Okada descended from the heavens to once again grace us with his presence as Champion of the Month. Hoorah for Lil' Kazu, who is soon to become Odada and have a Lil' Kazu of his own!

Eligible Champions are chosen on a combination of accessibility, prestige/notoriety and by overwhelming popular request. For promotions where lengthy periods of time pass with no title defenses, promos, appearances, shows etc those champions will be dropped from the poll for that period only, then return when once again relevant - for instance, Baliyan Akki (Gatoh Move ChocoPro), Bianca Belair (Raw Women's); Go Shiozaki (NOAH); Jon Moxley (GCW), and Jonathan Gresham (ROH) did not defend their titles this month and are temporarily removed from the poll. Due to a lack of votes across the last year of periodic eligibility, PWG has been removed as a poll option, as has Ice Ribbon due to the retirement of their Champion while still holding the belt. The WWE Title is not on this month's poll but remains a viable belt for the future despite Roman Reigns apparently just... not wrestling anymore after unifying the titles? GLEAT's G-REX Champion has been added for a trial run. The monthly "None of the Above" option is a valid potential "winner" and has "won" the poll in the past, feel free to use this as a protest vote if you so wish.

Now onto the eligible contenders for the month just gone. Feel free to make an argument for/against any particular champion you think does/doesn't deserve the votes of other posters in this thread.

:homebrew: Kazuchika Okada (IWGP World Heavyweight Champion) - Okada only had the one title defense this month as the Best of the Super Juniors took center stage for much of May... but boy was it a doozy! For the third time this year, old rivals Okada and Tetsuya Naito faced off. Okada had defeated Naito during the New Years Golden Series to retain his title, but then lost a non-title semi-final match in the New Japan Cup to even things up. After Okada dealt to the ultimate winner of that series, Zack Sabre Jr, he took the chance for a rubber match to avenge his New Japan Cup loss. After over 30 minutes, Okada was able to defeat Naito to not only retain his title, and to not only stay ahead of him 2-1 for the year, but the maintain a razor-thin 7-6 lead over the lifetime of their career matches against each other since 2007.

:horse: Hangman Adam Page (FORMER AEW Champion) - Hangman's 6-month reign on top finally came to an end, after a superb match to close out the month at AEW's Double or Nothing PPV. Page had gone into the match fixated on defending the AEW locker room from what he believed was corrosive and toxic presence who talked a big game but didn't practice what he preached. But it was Hangman's own integrity that cost him, as after an emotionally charged match he had a chance to use the title belt while the ref was down but chose to fight clean instead... and that brief hesitation gave his opponent the chance to recover enough to hit his finisher, get the pin, and cost Hangman the title.

CM Punk (AEW Champion) - Look who's back! In 2012 he was Punchsport Pagoda's favorite Pro-Wrestling Champion of the Year, in January of 2013 he had his last win as a Champ of the Month, but now in May of 2022 CM Punk is once again a viable contender to be champ of the month! He's also the only wrestler who stands a reasonable chance of catching up to Kazuchika Okada's record wins as Champion of the Month. After a brutal match against Hangman Adam Page at Double or Nothing, Punk was able to hit the Go 2 Sleep, pin the champion and complete the journey from giving up on pro-wrestling to re-embracing his love of this ridiculous but oh so fun "sport". Punk has primarily been a face since his return, though things got a little less clear-cut in his promos with Hangman. Will Punk's return get him votes, or has The Great Jase Space moved on since those days? Some people asked those same questions about Punk returning to wrestling at all, and the end result of that was... well... he's the current World Champion!

:pilot:Josh Alexander (Impact World Champion) - After defeating Moose, Alexander didn't rest on his laurels, he defended his title against... Tomohiro Ishii! Is he mad? Yes, at Under Siege he fought the fire hydrant that walks like a man and won! He wasn't done there either, going on to successfully defend the title against Gabriel Fuerza at DWW The Clash.

:krakken: Shoko Nakajima (Princess of Princess Champion) - After her first successful defense against Yuki Aino, the Littlest Kaiju had to face giant monsters' natural foe in the wild: a Trickster God! Hyper Misao saw an opportunity for nonsense at the highest level and she took it.... and then took it seriously! While she'll always be Hyper Misao, she fought with more restraint, perhaps seeing Nakajima as a more beatable opponent than the likes of Chaos Djinn Sakazaki or Unbelievably Cool Badass Yamashita, pulling out some of her old techniques from her time as simply Misao... but it wasn't enough. Shoko prevailed, winning her second defense and continuing her reign at the top of TJPW.

:skeltal: Thunder Rosa (AEW Women's Champion) - Rosa had the best match of her title reign so far, going up against Serena Deeb who is arguably one of the best women wrestlers in the world today. Deeb proclaimed that this was her chance to finally get revenge for all the (horrifying) bullshit she went through as a talented woman wrestler who came up in a period where the biggest wrestling promotion around was run (and is still run) by old perverts who only cared about big take tits. Rosa argued that she wasn't going to let Serena take out her grievances on Rosa or undermine Rosa's own accomplishments, and then the two went to Double or Nothing and had a HELL of a match in front of a hot crowd that Rosa won clean, and it ruled and I hope it's not the last time we see them wrestle each other.

:black101: Arisa Nakajima (Beyond the SEA Champion) - Nakajima successfully defended her title against SEAdLINNNG rookie Rico Kaiju in Shinjuku FACE in an incredible match that demonstrated exactly why Arisa is one of, if not the best wrestler in the world, elevating her inexperienced opponent to her level and making the obvious victory look in doubt at times. Arisa will look to do more of the same when she defends her title against T-HEARTS's Riko Kawahata in the near future. Thanks GEORGE W BUSHI.

:greenangel: Syuri (World of Stardom Champion) - As Stardom champion Syuri has faced all challengers and in May proved that her dominance extends to more than just the Stardom wrestler by defeating two of the most prominent wrestlers on the independent scene in one week, first defeating Asuka at Bagus before defending her title via TKO against the leader of Prominence, Risa Sera. Thanks GEORGE W BUSHI.

:troll: Charlotte Flair (FORMER Smackdown Women's Champion) - Charlotte's baffling win at Wrestlemania lead to an I Quit match at Backlash. She quit.

:hayter: Ronda Rousey (Smackdown Women's Champion) - Ronda Rousey defeated Charlotte Flair, and FINALLY it was over, there would be no more baffling decisions where talented wrestlers were sacrificed to make an already over champion look good. Her first defense therefore... was against the newly debuted Raquel GonzalezRodriguez, a former NXT Champion who promptly lost her second match on the main roster in 6 minutes.

:radcat: Tasha Steelz (Impact Knockouts Champion) - At the Under Siege PPV, Tasha Steelz defeated Havok to retain her Knockouts title.

Kento Miyahara (Triple Crown Heavyweight Champion) - The Best of the Best continued to live up to his title as the most criminally underwatched champion of 2022 defended his title in not one, but two, MOTYCs in May, defeating both his NEXTREAM teammate Yuma Aoyagi and #STRONGHEARTS member T-Hawk to remain on top of All Japan. With AJPW's return to the Nippon Budokan on the horizon, there is no better man to be carrying the company on his shoulders as once again we all ask who can #StopTheKento? Thanks GEORGE W BUSHI.

:baby: El Lindaman (G-REX Champion) - No champion on this poll had a tougher schedule than GLEAT's champion in May. Not only did Lindaman represent both GLEAT and #STRONGHEARTS in NJPW's Best of the Super Juniors, but he continued to fulfill his duties as G-REX champion, defending the belt in a brutal match against #STRONGHEARTS teammate Shigehiro Irie in Korakuen Hall in between BOSJ block matches. Thanks GEORGE W BUSHI.

:redflag: KAI (Open the Dream Gate Champion) - At Dragon Gate's Dead Or Alive show, KAI successfully defended his title for the third time, defeating Susumu Yokosuka in just under 25 minutes, the longest match of his title reign so far.

:supaburn: Tetsuya Endo (KO-D Openweight Champion) - Much like his New Japan counterpart, Endo only had the one title defense and it was right at the start of the month, defeating Yuki Ueno and extending his dominating career win/loss record against Ueno to 5-2. Endo has a lot of work to do to live up to former champion Konosuke Takeshita, and he's certainly talented enough... and it helps that he and DDT are getting a lot of leeway because no matter what, they're not loving NOAH.

:choco: (None of the Above) - If you just want to hurry up and see the results, or get through the month to the next and see if next month has Champions more to your liking... or you just want to vote None of the Above, then.... vote None of the Above!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jun 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Hanger

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

:hai::hf::horse:

Loved his title reign from start to finish, such incredible matches, he's come so far since he was the guy who I couldn't understand why he was getting a title shot when the promotion first started.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Into our town the Hangman came
Smelling of gold and blood and flame—
And he paced our bricks with a diffident air
And built his frame on the courthouse square.

The scaffold stood by the courthouse side,
Only as wide as the door was wide;
A frame as tall, or little more,
Than the capping sill of the courthouse door.

And we wondered, whenever we had the time,
Who the criminal, what the crime,
The Hangman judged with the yellow twist
Of knotted hemp in his busy fist.

And innocent though we were, with dread
We passed those eyes of buckshot lead;
Till one cried: “Hangman, who is he
For whom you raise the gallows-tree?”

Then a twinkle grew in the buckshot eye,
And he gave us a riddle instead of reply:
“He who serves me best,” said he,
“Shall earn the rope on the gallows-tree.”

And he stepped down, and laid his hand
On a man who came from another land.
And we breathed again, for another’s grief
At the Hangman’s hand was our relief.

And the gallows-frame on the courthouse lawn
By tomorrow’s sun would be struck and gone.
So we gave him way, and no one spoke,
Out of respect for his hangman’s cloak.

-----

The next day’s sun looked mildly down
On roof and street in our quiet town
And, stark and black in the morning air,
The gallows-tree on the courthouse square.

And the Hangman stood at his usual stand
With the yellow hemp in his busy hand;
With his buckshot eye and his jaw like a pike
And his air so knowing and businesslike.

And we cried: “Hangman, have you not done,
Yesterday, with the alien one?”
Then we fell silent, and stood amazed:
“Oh, not for him was the gallows raised . . .”

He laughed a laugh as he looked at us:
“ . . . Did you think I’d gone to all this fuss
To hang one man? That’s a thing I do
To stretch the rope when the rope is new.”

Then one cried “Murderer!” One cried “Shame!”
And into our midst the Hangman came
To that man’s place. “Do you hold,” said he,
With him that’s meant for the gallows-tree?”

And he laid his hand on that one’s arm,
And we shrank back in quick alarm,
And we gave him way, and no one spoke
Out of fear of his hangman’s cloak.

That night we saw with dread surprise
The Hangman’s scaffold had grown in size.
Fed by the blood beneath the chute
The gallows-tree had taken root.

Now as wide, or a little more,
Than the steps that led to the courthouse door,
As tall as the writing, or nearly as tall,
Halfway up on the courthouse wall.

-----

The third he took—and we had all heard tell—
Was a usurer and infidel. And:
“What,” said the Hangman, “have you to do
With the gallows-bound, and he a Jew?”

And we cried out: “Is this one he
Who has served you well and faithfully?”
The Hangman smiled: “It’s a clever scheme
To try the strength of the gallows-beam.”

The fourth man’s dark, accusing song
Had scratched out comfort hard and long;
And “What concern,” he gave us back,
“Have you for the doomed—the doomed and black?”

The fifth. The sixth. And we cried again:
“Hangman, Hangman, is this the man?”
“It’s a trick,” he said, “that we hangmen know
For easing the trap when the trap springs slow.”

And so we ceased and asked no more,
As the Hangman tallied his bloody score;
And sun by sun, and night by night,
The gallows grew to monstrous height.

The wings of the scaffold opened wide
Till they covered the square from side to side;
And the monster cross-beam, looking down,
Cast its shadow across the town.

-----

Then through the town the Hangman came
And called in the empty streets my name,
And I looked at the gallows soaring tall
And thought: “There is no one left at all

For hanging, and so he calls to me
To help him pull down the gallows-tree.”
And I went out with right good hope
To the Hangman’s tree and the Hangman’s rope.

He smiled at me as I came down
To the courthouse square through the silent town,
And supple and stretched in his busy hand
Was the yellow twist of the hempen strand.

And he whistled his tune as he tried the trap
And it sprang down with a ready snap—
And then with a smile of awful command
He laid his hand upon my hand.

“You tricked me, Hangman!” I shouted then,
“That your scaffold was built for other men . . .
And I no henchman of yours,” I cried.
“You lied to me, Hangman, foully lied!”

Then a twinkle grew in the buckshot eye:
“Lied to you? Tricked you?” he said, “Not I.
For I answered straight and I told you true:
The scaffold was raised for none but you.”

“For who has served me more faithfully
Than you with your coward’s hope?” said he,
“And where are the others that might have stood
Side by your side in the common good?”

“Dead,” I whispered: and amiably,
“Murdered,” the Hangman corrected me;
“First the alien, then the Jew . . .
I did no more than you let me do.”

Beneath the beam that blocked the sky,
None had stood so alone as I—
And the Hangman strapped me, and no voice there
Cried “Stay!” for me in the empty square.

I'm glad he's been stopped. Long live the champion

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

This is a hard month. Lindaman vs Irie was incredible and the best match of May. But Kento had 2 amazing defences against Yuma Aoyagi & T-Hawk.

Ah man, I want to show respect to Miyahara but...El Lindaman had an absolutely incredible defence AND starred in Best of the Super Juniors. Gotta be him.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Voted for Lindaman because he had the best match and he was good in BOSJ and I want him to stay on the polls and I want to inspire the short Kings among you

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I voted for that guy as well. seems like one of us three is lying

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Lots of strong options this month, and Rosa nearly had me, but this is my last opportunity to vote for Hanger so he gets my vote.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Were it closer I'd vote for Lindaman since that match with Irie was brutal as gently caress, but Kento's defense against Yuma is my current MOTY so he gets my vote.

E: lol, I write that and then scroll right up to the top and vote Lindaman like a dumbass. Pretend I voted for Kento Miyahara please and thank you, All Japan deserves the vote

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
Stanning a short king by voting for Lindaman

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
who is taller Punk or Okada this is an important question

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

hangman adam page will always be my champion

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

if punk were to win jerusalem would that be the biggest gap between wins in this forum's history?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Lid posted:

Okada is the tallest wrestler on the poll, Kento is second

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

STONE COLD 64 posted:

if punk were to win jerusalem would that be the biggest gap between wins in this forum's history?

a quick glance at the last thread

jericho march 2010 - aug 2019
punk jan 2013 - may 2022.....

miz feb 2011 - feb 2021

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Lid posted:

El Lindaman is taller in spirit

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

I voted for Hangman Page because I feel bad that he lost the belt and is probably crying and sad drinking alone somewhere

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
El Lindaman knocked it out of the loving park this month. Nobody else came close.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Hangman

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Sandman McMahon posted:

I voted for Hangman Page because I feel bad that he lost the belt and is probably crying and sad drinking alone somewhere

I voted for CM Punk because I feel good that Hangman lost the belt and is probably crying and sad drinking alone somewhere

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

edogawa rando posted:

I voted for CM Punk because I feel good that Hangman lost the belt and is probably crying and sad drinking alone somewhere

potatoe, potatoe :shrug:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I voted Hangman cos he's a cowboy. CM Punk isn't a cowboy. He's not even a Punk anymore. He's some kind of landlord. That's not cool. Cowboys are cool.

PlatinumJukebox
Nov 14, 2011

Uh oh, I think someone just told Hunter what game he's in.
Voted for Hangman because he had two of the best singles matches I saw all month, but I only really watch AEW so it's a narrow selection.
Posts like the ones here and in the MOTY thread keep reminding me to check out Japanese wrestling again. I fell off the NJPW train when the pandemic hit, but judging by the posting frequency like 3 different promotions (and several wrestlers) over there are on incredible hot streaks right now.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

I voted Hangman cos he's a cowboy. CM Punk isn't a cowboy. He's not even a Punk anymore. He's some kind of landlord. That's not cool. Cowboys are cool.

CM stands for Cow Man, actually

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Half cow, half man

All punk

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

PlatinumJukebox posted:

Voted for Hangman because he had two of the best singles matches I saw all month, but I only really watch AEW so it's a narrow selection.
Posts like the ones here and in the MOTY thread keep reminding me to check out Japanese wrestling again. I fell off the NJPW train when the pandemic hit, but judging by the posting frequency like 3 different promotions (and several wrestlers) over there are on incredible hot streaks right now.

NJPW is still very good but yeah I stopped watching regularly because clap crowds suck but thankfully cheers are back soon!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

1 day in, 3 days to go, and right now Hangman has the clear lead over CM Punk but also he was winning that title match until he wasn't, so make sure your vote counts and vote!

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I like "old man" Punk. So I voted for him.

Shoko Nakajima is obviously cooler than him, but I cannot vote for her this month, because she beat Hyper Misao. And that's not nice.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

2 days in, 2 to go, don't forget to vote!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

3 days in, 1 day to go to vote. There's a-doings a-transpiring in at least one promotion champion-wise which may affect next month's poll, just as a matter of fact.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Vote Hanger, he can only lose to hinself

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Technically, so can Punk.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

CM Punk clearly hit him with a GTS and pinning him clean in the ring smh

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Important question: do Interim titles count for this thread? After all the AEW World Champion will be CM Punk going forward and he won’t be defending the belt any time soon…

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

That is a good thing to clear up now.

I think they should but it should only be an interim victory for the interim champion and their face should be covered up by CM Punk should they fail to win the unification match.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

There's only one AEW World Heavyweight Champion. It'll either be CM Punk and thus the AEW title won't be on the poll because he's injured, or it'll be whoever wins the other title and CM Punk just isn't considered the champion anymore unless he comes back from injury and wins it back. Interim titles are stupid.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

There's only one AEW World Heavyweight Champion. It'll either be CM Punk and thus the AEW title won't be on the poll because he's injured, or it'll be whoever wins the other title and CM Punk just isn't considered the champion anymore unless he comes back from injury and wins it back. Interim titles are stupid.

This is a cynical attempt to stop Hirooki Goto getting the highest victory margin in the history of these polls

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

#JusticeForGoto

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Pylons posted:

#JusticeForGoto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

There are a few hours left to get in your votes, so... do!