Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Trump will never pay a dime of that and somehow that's going to be just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Deteriorata posted:

:rolleyes:

Can we stop this poo poo now?

"Trump will never face charges."
Trump gets charged.

"Trump will never be convicted."
Trump gets convicted.

Trump has been fined numerous times and has paid up. There is absolutely no basis to think this court judgment will be ignored by everyone involved, least of all Jean Carroll.

I'll be happy to be wrong.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This is not a criminal conviction. It is a civil judgment. There's a very big difference between the two. He has not been convicted at all.

What happens in a civil case when you just don't pay the judgement? I'm not being snarky, I just remember awhile back, when I was a kid, my deadbeat dad never paid child support as ordered, and even when he was ordered to in court, he just didn't, and nothing ever happened to him. No garnishments, no asset seizures, absolutely nothing, he was just allowed to decide to not pay. My mother complained to the courts several times and they were just like :shrug:.

This was in Texas, which is kind of infamous for this sort of thing, so maybe my case is exceptional.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

It varies, but generally speaking, the winning party can go to court and get a lien against property the lower owns, plus collection costs.

If you have no property to force the sale of via lien, then *shrug* no blood from a stone.

That's probably it, then. He didn't own poo poo.

He had a job and a paycheck, but maybe they won't garnish for child support, I have no clue.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Adhemar posted:

Sad to say, this is probably the only way this trial could actually hurt trump’s election chances.

Doubt it. A big gun is a lot like a big truck, compensation-wise. He's going to have a lot of mockers who secretly sympathize with him.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Deteriorata posted:

Exclusive: New evidence in special counsel probe may undercut Trump’s claim documents he took were automatically declassified

We all knew Trump's declassification claim was bullshit so that much isn't news. This is proof that Trump himself knew it was bullshit - which helps to prove it was deliberate criminal behavior and not a mistake.

Another brick in the wall.

So now he goes down, right?

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

It's going to be really freaking weird if he's get the GOP nomination and he's under investigation or even charged with leaking/selling state secrets.

I really don't mean to be all Doomy or whatever, but we really do seem to be past crime mattering, at least when it comes to the rich.

I mean, we were there before, but there were limits. Nixon resigned, Madoff died in prison, there was some degree of mattering. People lost faith in leaders who were proven to have committed serious crimes. But now, it just doesn't seem to matter to anyone.

"Sure, Trump did horribly illegal poo poo and very likely seriously compromised national security, but who cares? There's an R next to his name so we simply refuse to do anything about it."

And there's just no recourse. No one who can do anything about this is willing to. Sure, he lost a civil case, but all he needs to do is illegally funnel campaign funds to make it go away. We know he's done it before, and suffered zero consequences for it. Of course he'll just do it again.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 07:26 on May 23, 2023

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

He hasn't suffered zero consequences? I mean, it is pretty wild that he has been able to get this far but history is full of rich assholes breaking the law. As a president, much of his legislation didn't even pass. There are so many active criminal investigations, it's only a matter of time before one of them hits. At this point, he's longer in office, his party is trying to abandon him, he's losing funding and swing voters have had enough.

You can't get lucky forever...

For illegally paying off Stormy Daniels? Check my post again, because I was specifically referring to misappropriating campaign funds.

Yeah, zero consequences. He got away with that. He was busted doing it, caught dead to rights, and prosecution just... didn't do poo poo. He'll absolutely do it again, because why wouldn't he?

And yeah, you can't get lucky forever, but this isn't luck, its naked corruption. He isn't evading charges because of a bunch of comical bungling and and technicalities. People in charge are simply refusing to act on his crimes (at least, in any fashion that could ever result in real consequences for him), and I see no reason to believe that they are suddenly going to start.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 24, 2023

The Bible
May 8, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

TL/DR: Mostly because Americans are kind of dumb and a disturbing amount of them are full on and all in for fascism.

They don't see it as fascism if it is in support of their own beliefs.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Sometimes I have to be in the room during a 1st Grade class and this is exactly like that.

"But teacher, he did it toooooooo... That's not fair..."

The Bible
May 8, 2010

PainterofCrap posted:

The GOP does this in hopes of hanging it around the Democrat's necks.

Every time they do it - and I believe that this will be the third time in the last 30-years - everyone knows it's the GOP pulling this crap, and that they have, once again, punched themselves in the dick.

"Fake news, Dems were the ones who really did it."

That's all it takes to convince most Republican voters.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Grip it and rip it posted:

I think the amount of damage and hardship that would be caused by a default like this would be transformative for politics (most likely in a bad way). I'm not sure just saying it's "fake news" would continue to be effective at that point

I don't agree, but I hope you're right.

I just have no faith in this country anymore. It seems like Conservatives take whatever they hear from whatever Right Wing propaganda mouthpiece they subscribe to and believe it wholesale. I don't see why a default would suddenly give them reasoning and research skills. They already want to believe Biden and the Left are destroying the country.

All the Right needs to do is tell them "We wanted to avoid the default, but Biden forced it because he literally hates America." That would be a complete and total lie, but tell me it wouldn't work.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 06:37 on May 24, 2023

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

Well, that was their line the last several times they tried and my impression was that while their rabid base bought it, nobody else did and their rabid base is too far gone anyway.

And they got a Republican president in who basically rigged the Supreme Court for the forseeable future. That's exactly my point, it works.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Moktaro posted:

Basically, I'm worried short-term about the GOP going full fascist and violent, but longer term I'm more worried about the DNC becoming the actual overpowered right-wing party that just doesn't actively hunt "undesirables" in the streets.

What you should be worried about is the Supreme Court. Unless a Dem president starts stacking (and let's be honest, not one of them would have the balls), we are absolutely hosed for a very long time, regardless of the President's political affiliation.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

You understand that SCOTUS justices aren't just appointed by presidential fiat, right? It's not a matter of "balls".

The President can increase the number of justices.

You're right though, he'd have to get it through Congress, and that's just not going to happen.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

I realize it is far from an ideal solution, but the alternative is just sitting by helplessly as the current Supreme Court, composed of a decent number of frankly unqualified individuals appointed solely because of their extreme religious beliefs and at least one known for a fact to be compromised, obliterates civil right after civil right with absolutely no possible recourse. Probably for the next 4 or 5 decades.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Sir Kodiak posted:

What problem is there an exponential acceleration of?

Seventy-five justices instead of nine would make it harder for lawyers pleading cases to build arguments around the specific biases of individual justices

For those currently in power, that right there is the problem they have with it.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Oracle posted:

Term limits require a constitutional amendment.

America: Amend the holy words of the Founding Fathers!? Blasphemy!

Constitution: *amended literally 27 times*

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Oracle posted:

Might want to look up what it takes to pass one and consider the makeup of the Senate and House (by far the easiest route). 27 times in almost 300 years with ten of those passed shortly after the document was written is not exactly a breakneck pace.

Yeah, I know. It's never going to happen, it's just odd how people are so opposed to it, as if it has never been done before.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Sir Kodiak posted:

Why would the people who could actually make it happen—members of Congress and the president—be interested in maintaining the importance of the specific biases of individual justices? I don't see what they get out of it. The current justices don't get a say.

Now I'm wondering if I'm just naive on this, but, because they share their religious and political beliefs and can generally count on them to rule the way they want them to, regardless of what the people actually want?

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Sir Kodiak posted:

They do, but there's more than half-a-dozen people who also do so. What I'm talking about is that various justices have particular quirks that go beyond those shared beliefs as seen in the somewhat rare cases where the justices don't rule along party lines. More justices would, presumably, reduce the impact of this variation and result in more consistent rulings along the religious and political beliefs that, as you say, is what the parties care about.

I hadn't considered that.

predicto posted:

This Supreme Court sucks, but I'm not sure straight packing is a good idea. And I know that once it starts, the GOP will be shameless about abusing it when they are in control.

Yeah, that's the obvious problem.

So... is there just no hope then? We're just at the mercy of a court in which the justices are at best unqualified and at worst publicly compromised? I know there are processes to remove justices, but that's as likely to happen now as the constitutional amendments being discussed earlier.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jun 1, 2023

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Xiahou Dun posted:

This is what a small child would come up with.

And it will work.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but Trump is just going to slip out of this the way he slips out of everything. It'll be huge news with damning evidence, then it will just be inexplicably forgotten, and never once brought up again.

The government is just not willing to hold him accountable for anything. This should be extremely obvious to everyone by now. None of this will result in any meaningful consequences for him.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Sure, what the hell, :toxx:. If Trump sees a day behind prison walls, ban me.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

susan b buffering posted:

weak toxx condition compared to your original claims

Alright, what would you consider appropriate?

The Bible
May 8, 2010

susan b buffering posted:

really sounded like you weren't expecting him to go to trial :v:

He's been to a few trials, they just kind of fizzle out. He just stalls poo poo indefinitely and the courts just let him.

My idea of "mattering" is that he is sentenced, and actually serves that sentence, appropriate to the crime committed.

He is rich and (was) powerful, so that just is not going to happen.

Killer robot posted:

I don't think "meaningful consequences" is ever a strong statement since no team of engineers could design a phrase with more intentional wiggle room.

Feel free to define "meaningful consequences", then. Given what we know and what is currently happening with Trump, what would a reasonable consequence be for him, in your opinion, when these endless hearings are over. What would a reasonable sentence be?

The Bible fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jun 8, 2023

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Levitate posted:

Bringing charges is the most that the government can do for “mattering”, we’ve seen before that even with some blatant illegal poo poo done juries can be incredibly dumb or biased and let people off the hook (looking at you Maeluer)

Rich powerful people getting off the hook because of good lawyers and dumb jurors is certainly bullshit and possible but seems different than complaining the courts and such aren’t doing what they should

I'm just trying to see what will make you guys happy for a Toxx condition. You didn't like how I worded it so I'm asking for more specific scenarios.

I'm leaning toward "jail time" personally, but that feels so incredibly unlikely as to not really be a Toxx at all.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Killer robot posted:

It's your claim, not mine. "Will never see a day behind prison walls" is perfectly specific, so that's a fine strong assertion: I was saying to susan b buffering that it was a stronger toxx than the initial claim. I just mean that "meaningful consequences" is a term that's really popular for people who want to look like they're making bold predictions but want to 100% reserve the right to say "well I don't think that was meaningful when it didn't include....." to whatever consequences actually happen.

Fair enough. Prison time it is, I'll even allow for house arrest to count. He's certainly done enough to deserve it. Hell, maybe they'll actually charge him under the Espionage Act and he really will face prison time. I'd be happy to eat a Toxx under those conditions.

I don't think I will, though.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Mercury_Storm posted:

They're going to send him to a isolated resort out on Aruba, but then a year later he'll come back with a band of loyal chuds, waltz right into congress while in session and shoot an officer unprovoked and everyone will be like "whoa what the gently caress!?" Just before he's sent to actual federal prison re-elected by a narrow Electoral College vote he'll die of a heart attack from eating a big mac just a bit too quickly.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Prison would matter to some, but if a judge sentences "you're old and need constant medical attention and thank you for your public service", that doesn't negate a (hypothetical) guilty verdict.

The guilty verdict would be meaningless here. Allowing someone like Trump to go free even after a guilty verdict absolutely sends a message that if you are in a position of power, you are free to break laws as you please.

Doubly so when someone not in that position of power would be allowed to die of an infection in prison and then literally rot in their cell for a couple of days, medical care be damned.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Fart Amplifier posted:

Having damning consensual interviews is probably the worst case for Trump. Unless Cannon decides to throw the case entirely and transparently, there's nothing she can really do to shield him.

He'll just say he didn't say those things like he always does, even when presented with the recordings themselves. Then everyone will promptly forget it ever happened.

He has done a ton of illegal poo poo quite openly, and none of it stuck. This won't either. It will just vanish like everything else brought against him.

Get annoyed with me all you like. If I'm wrong, I'm Toxxed, so you'll never have to hear from me again. I'm not wrong, though. This will not be what finally brings Trump down.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Charlz Guybon posted:

At least it's before the election.

It's close enough that they'll be able to stall it out until the RNC, and the GOP will stall it out from there until after the election.

Trump gets the date he wants, and Cannon gets to pretend she didn't just hand it to him.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Xiahou Dun posted:

I’m just a little old atheist, but isn’t that intensely sacrilegious? Made in god’s image, sent his own son down to take our sins, big cornerstones of the whole system, yadda yadda?

Jesus these clowns don’t believe in anything, do they.

No group reads the Bible less than Christians.

If the pastor said there's no aliens, then there's no aliens.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

If there was another species he created with more intelligence than man, then everything about god's plan would be contradicted.

Contradictions? In the Bible?!

The Bible fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jul 27, 2023

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Caros posted:

Because it would involve criminal charges against a sitting Justice's wife.

Not to sound doomy again, but no one really responded to this and I wanted to see what the thoughts were on it.

SCOTUS judges are allowed to cheat on their taxes, openly accept bribes, and make rulings based on entirely fictional cases.

What actually is there to prevent them from overturning a case for the express purpose of protecting one of their spouses? It isn't like they'd face any consequences for it.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Aug 3, 2023

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Yeah but that's because he thinks of "criminals" as a racial class to which criminal defendants belong by birth. His fellow patriots aren't part of that class, definitionally.

Poor people. He hates poor people.

Whether the defendant is American or white or whatever, if they're poor, they're criminals.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Fuschia tude posted:

The Alex Jones case that awarded $49,300,000 to the plaintiffs? Or the Alex Jones case that awarded $1,438,000,000 to the plaintiffs in one of the largest damages awards in US history?

How much of that has he paid, btw? I stopped checking the Alex Jones thread too long ago and I haven't heard any updates.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Fleeing just seems like a level of planning that Trump just doesn't go to. He doesn't really seem to think preemptively at all; he just reacts, usually poorly.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Tenkaris posted:

Yo-Semite more likely

Most likely he just ranted about rigged elections and beans.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Oracle posted:

Georgia has never heard of pdfs?

These are all very old people. They are going to do this in the most inefficient way possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

Dunno. I don't deal with clients that can't pay lol.

Our justice system is so loving broken. :(