Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
He can, of course. He will be running specifically on pardoning himself.

and in other Trump news: Apparently Trump is real shook because his folks told em "Don't worry, you won't be indicted, and if you are, we can tie it up in jurisdictional stuff forever"

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1666964960516227074.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I think we've solved the mystery of the orange skies. It isn't from smoke from Wildfires, it's from Donald "Trumple's-Thinskin" Trump blowing his top that he might actually be in real trouble.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I don't think he does honestly.

I mean, this is just about literally "HEY I AM CRIMING RIGHT NOW BIGLY BY SHOWING YOU THIS. IT'S A CRIME TO SHOW YOU THIS AND IT FEELS AWESOME TO DO CRIME!"

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
What I'm hopeful of was the fact that a jury found Trump liable for the sexual assault was the equivalent of blood in the water that causes everything else to descend on him like pirahna, just shreeding him.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

This has more of the exchange. Also, the document in question was a military plan to attack a foreign country.

https://twitter.com/maritzac/status/1667237546063962130

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Saw this in the Post story on the judge. I think even before this started, she would have been sent from Central Casting to annoy MAGA-ts

"Chutkan was appointed to the U.S. bench in 2014 by President Barack Obama and was one of the first public defenders appointed to the federal trial court in Washington. A trained dancer raised in Kingston, Jamaica, Chutkan graduated from George Washington University and the University of Pennsylvania Law School before working in private practice with two Washington firms and serving 11 years with the D.C. Public Defender Service"

(first there's black and a woman, of course. Appointed by Obama. Public Defender. A Foreigner. A Dancer (gotta have a more american hobby, like shooting things). Ivy League.)

Just ticks off every box.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
The Introduction in the indictment says it all:

INTRODUCTION

Defendant Donald John Trump lost the United States presidential election held on November 3, 2020. One oft he states he lost was Georgia. Trump and the other Defendants charged in this Indictment refused to accept that Trump lost, and they knowingly and willfully joined a conspiracy to unlawfully change the outcome of the election in favor of Trump. That conspiracy contained a common plan and purpose to commit two or more acts of racketeering activity in Fulton County, Georgia, elsewhere in the State of Georgia, and in other states.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
They got Popehat to say "Yes, it's RICO"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiVkyD1yzJg

Hah!

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Paracaidas posted:

Rudy has been hit with a default judgment for discovery and procedural fuckery in the defamation case brought by Freeman and Moss, the election workers at the center of the Trumpworld Georgia lies and targets of many of the statements and intimidation acts charged by Willis.

Howell accurately notes that Rudy has calculated that the costs of avoiding discovery in this case outweigh the other civil and criminal risks that would result from discovery and this trial. In addition to the default judgment, there's also notice that the jury in the damages trial will receive a mandatory instruction about Rudy's discovery malfeasance:

The more common standard is permissive - that the jury may infer Giuliani is trying to artificially deflate his net worth. Howell has made clear Rudy has 3 weeks to rectify that specific portion of discovery, in which case Howell may choose to revert to the permissive instruction.

This can be read as another in the series of "you'll be left alone taking the hit" fates that befall Trump lackeys who try to shield Trump or break the law to his benefit.

So, not only is Rudy guilty, he's Turbo (1) EXTRA(2) Guilty.

(1) Turbo means guilty before the trial even starts, which will only be about damages
(2) Extra menas the jury gets told "This person is trying to hide assets. Sic'em"

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
yeah, but guilty sounds better ;)

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Scratch Monkey posted:

so he and Alex Jones tried the same bullshit. How'd that end up for Jones again?

you remember from the intro from DuckTales where Scrooge is swimming in space to get a dollar, and a passing alien grabs it and laughs at him? Yeah, kinda like that.

Jones is currently trying to play a shell game and move them around so quickly that no one can follow the money. The plaintiffs are encourage to just knock ALL the shells over and take whatever money they can legally.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
they're all praying that Trump gets in and goes a-pardoning.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
And also said "Do it again" when asked what to do after the J6 riot, so he couldn't even claim "These were my underlings and took things too far"

edit: From the AP story on the sentencing:

“Make no mistake,” Tarrio wrote in one message. “We did this.” In another post as the Proud Boys swarmed the Capitol, Tarrio commanded: “Do what must be done.” In a Proud Boys encrypted group chat later that day someone asked what they should do next. Tarrio responded, “Do it again.”

SirFozzie fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Sep 6, 2023

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Trump loses again to E. Jean Carroll, and we didn't even need the jury for the verdict. (Just the damages)

https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/06/politics/e-jean-carroll-trump-defamation-lawsuit/index.html

Basically: "A jury reached the verdict that the 2022 statements about calling Carroll a liar was defamation, and since that fact has already been established, Trump can't say the 2019 comments (also calling her a liar) wasn't ALSO defamation.

Jury will determine damages:

edit: I wonder if this can go on indefinitely. I know she filed for statements post-verdict. If the same chain is honored in each case, it's a legal endless circle: Trump Lies, Carroll calls it defamatory, Trump Loses, Trump Lies again, rinse and repeat.

It'd be funny if every time through the circle it costs Trump a few million. He could just save time by setting up an account to be debited every time he defames Carroll. If the 5 million per trial in damages continues, gets mighty expensive mighty quick

SirFozzie fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 6, 2023

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
"Trump not shutting the gently caress up for even five consecutive seconds" is the closest thing to scientific proof that a perpetual motion machine is possible.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Raenir Salazar posted:

Judges should start twitch accounts and livestream proceedings.

"Before I sentence the defendant, I have to remind my viewers to hit that follow button, and don't forget to use your AmazonLegal Prime free subscription! We gotta run a pre-roll ad, so non-subscribers can follow the verdict in chat while the ads are running..."

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Oh, I so would have wanted to be a fly in the room when Trump got told this: "They're going to tell me what I can and can't do with my (someone else's) money??!?!?!?!?!"

He may hit Low Earth Orbit just from the explosion of steam from his head.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

She managed to finally release the Kraken. She was the Kraken, and releasing it means probation.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Caros posted:

Honestly, her life is ruined and I'm okay with that. She's going to be financially obliterated by dominion, and she's now a convict which means her license is probably poo poo (not that she could do much with it anyways).

Having her testifying against the rest of the goon squad is a trade I am willing to make since she's already hosed six ways to Sunday.

Oh, knowing the range of things that she's facing already, I am perfectly fine with Powell not going to jail. I want the head of the (Orangeman) snake, and just about anything to get said head (through the laws) will be worth it to me.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
"the deep state got to her"

It doesn't have to be rational

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
BTW, speaking of Alex Jones earlier in the thread and his consequences, the judge tossed his idea that he could get rid of his entire judgement against him in bankruptcy. (Note: This doesn't mean it might not get REDUCED, because "reckless" judgements CAN be reduced in bankruptcy, while willfull and malicious behavior ones can't be. The judge may have to rule as to how much of his activity (and thus the judgement) was just reckless instead of malicious. Personally, I would rule that anything after he was shown that the charges he was making was false was malicious, but that's why I'm not (but should be) a judge ;)

https://www.reuters.com/legal/alex-jones-cant-avoid-sandy-hook-verdicts-bankruptcy-judge-2023-10-19/

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
basically, they'd have to find that the judge abused their discretion, and that it would prove an undue burden. A very high bar to clear

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Trump can (continue) to be sued for inciting January 6th riots, dismissing claim of absolute presidential immunity.

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.cadc.38510/gov.uscourts.cadc.38510.2029465.0.pdf

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
The full decision is here:

https://www.cadc.uscourts.gov/internet/opinions.nsf/A3464AEB2C1CB89985258A7800537E73/$file/22-5069-2029472.pdf

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
so with the defamation award, we are looking at a half-BILLION dollars of judgements he needs to appeal, and all of it poo poo that he can't throw out when he's president. Oh, and he can't raise money with any bank chartered or registered in New York.

I gotta say, this sucks for Citizen Trump.

AND I LOVE EVERY loving MOMENT OF IT.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

dr_rat posted:

And also apparently they are for some reason many company and governments preferred methods of exchanging money.

No a government tax department will never want you to pay a "suddenly discovered unpaid tax debt" in Apple store gift cards. Why the hell would that ever be a thing!!!!

I wonder if Apple has internal numbers of what percentage of those cards are most likely just being used for crime.

Oh god. Such memories. In between times on the disability list, I worked as Apple Tech Support from home (through a contractor). The number of times where an elderly person called me and wondered why they had given/been asked to give Apple Gift Cards for tech support, or because their mac found a page on the net that indicated "A problem with your computer, text apple gift cards to this address and we can fix it remotely".. It got to the point where I knew it was coming from the start. and had my polished spiel ready to go.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Saw the story about the "Trump Bucks" scam. we're soon going to be replacing the American currency with Trump Dollars (soon to be called Trumps) aren't we? Flashbacks to "Bison Dollars" from the Street Fighter movie.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
People: "Donald Trump has screwed over lots of people. But not me, he'll see we can both make a bunch of money together"

Trump: "Immediately screws them over"

People: (Shocked Pikachu face)

(this came from today's story that Trump and the people who set up the Truth Social swap are suing each other, and Trump is trying to argue they should get nothing out of it)

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trump-sues-truth-social-co-founders-says-not-entitled-stock-shares-rcna146106

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
for better following the syllables?

"Which scheme's lien reigns supreme?"

I would definitely pay for Chairman Kaga to announce the verdict for the Judge.

edit: er.. I mean I would pay for Chiarman Kaga to come in and read the verdict. Not for Chairman Kaga to decide the verdict.

Although that might be on the table too, if he's amenable.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Wayne Knight posted:

Reminder that there is an iron chef channel on Pluto.

and all the english dubbed are on youtube too (filmrise).

I was sad to see two iron chefs have passed since them (Masahiko Kobe (Italian) and Chen Kenichi (Chinese)

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I saw someone say in a conversation that being on the Trump Trial would make them actually WANT to be on the Jury.

Two Thoughts: One), Are they nuts? Do they know that Trump.MAGA will give any and all jurors (and their families) a social media proctologist probe like you've never seen before. I mean, we have folks believing there was a sex smuggling ring below a pizza shop.. do you really think that even if there's nothing in your social media that's problematic, they wouldn't invent something? And that it wouldn't stop with just online stuff?

Two) (and more importantly), if you want to be on a jury for a trial, you're probably not impartial enough to be a fair juror.

And to the 18 men and women on the jury? My condolences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
From the Pagliery thread above:

Merchan:

After denying Trump's *third* attempt to review a minor point in a previous ruling by the judge, Merchan shows he's had enough.

"Defense is literally targeting individual decisions one by one by one and writing pre-motion letters. That has to end.."

"There comes at point that you accept my rulings. I've entertained your motions. I've entertained your arguments... but at some point you need to accept the court's rulings. There's nothing else to clarify."

Merchan now serving up a dish of reality to the former president's legal team, which seems to think they can still avoid the inevitable.

"There's nothing else to reargue. We're going to have opening statements Monday morning. This trial is starting."

Can we get this judge to replace Cannon?

It's obvious to all that Trump's MO is to delay delay delay, stretch it out. It generally works out in civil trials, because he usually can drag it out so long that the other person gets tired of the legal warfare and drops it just to get rid of Trump (or goes bankrupt from expenses)

The Government lawyers JOB is legal warfare on a grand scale, and prettttty sure they won't go bankrupt.