Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

dang, space sure is grey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

seriously though why did they make the blacks look grey and not put in a gamma slider or HDR support? does anyone think it looks good?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

smoobles posted:

Is Starfield good?

If you don't have a badass computer I would say wait to get it on PC, it runs like poo poo

Really wasn't expecting 20-30fps on a 3060 lol, obviously there is something wrong with the game

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

What resolution?

well you can't play in full screen and lower the resolution for some reason, so 4k tv at 50% internal resolution. some say that is 2k and some say 1080p, but in any case you can't lower it any further

if it could run full screen at 1080p it might be fine, but it can't. not gonna switch my windows resolution every time I want to play the game, so gently caress it entirely

you can't even change the brightness lmao, it's such a turd it's unbelievable

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

trizzNPH posted:

definitely a circumstance of overall hardware config making the difference moreso than individual gpu power it seems. I'm getting better avgs on my 5800x3d and EVGA 2070 than some people w/ better GPUs than me, but folks generally don't give their CPU and memory info when talking about their hardware specs around this game.

nah according to the resource monitor the GPU is the limiting factor

they just did a lovely job, it is what it is. making excuses for them is just embarrassing

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

trizzNPH posted:

Just because your CPU isn't maxxed out doesn't mean it's not a CPU related problem. I don't know why you would even bother to say this, it's incredibly common knowledge that Resource Monitor is not a great way of judging CPU usage in terms of core utilization. And I'm not making 'excuses' for them. We are talking about how different hardware configurations are having different results performance wise. Do you have something to say about that other than drive-by shitposting?

just Google it buddy I'm not the only one

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

trizzNPH posted:

right, you're just here to drive-by shitpost and don't actually know much about the topic. carry on then champ.

just letting people know caveat emptor, it might run like poo poo unexpectedly. be ready to return it until they get their poo poo together or someone else fixes it for them

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

DLSS patch took the game from unplayable to tolerable

why uh can't the benches access my resources from the storage container in the lodge, and why do I have to manually carry my resources from ship storage to the lodge container? I know I can "land" right in front of the lodge but come on

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

OddObserver posted:

There is a mod that lets benches (and you) access the lodge stash that someone here linked to before, what was it called? Universal Storage or something. Of course it's a bit of a balance change compared to just linking...

I'm referring to the storage container that is literally sitting on top of the research station in the lodge, I would have thought they would be linked. Don't really want to walk up to my room to dump my resources either, also it just doesn't really make sense to do that for ~immersion~

Skyrim has all the work benches in your house linked to storage...

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

To me the jarring thing is that only the introduction with the mineshaft elevator and again when the player wakes up after touching the first artifact has custom animations, so I thought the rest of the game would be like that. The rest of the game instead just has that mannequin zoom-face talking poo poo. Even the ending is you mannequin-talking to yourself. It's like Bethesda just couldn't be arsed after the intro and called it a day. They have the capability to animate characters properly, they just didn't wanna do it.

I'm pretty glad the rest of the game doesn't have those canned DreamWorks snarky expressions and animations

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

ngl I did basically no research on this game and just assumed you could fly above the planet surface like the 2016 videogame no man's sky

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

dang so they have skin slots in the crafting menus but the only way to get skins was to pre order or buy the $300 version of the game??

like, I was totally fine with just committing to the boring regular spaceman poo poo with constellation gear, but I would have to pay 300 fuckin clams for the extra special edition for constellation skins

guess I'll just keep rocking my white constellation suit and helmet with no legendary effects, not like the game is hard enough to warrant them anyway

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

well the adoring fan rules. he never whines about poo poo and it's funny when he gets shot

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

oh... jeez... um... I guess I'm ok? I'm just a smol bean space adventurer... I don't know how to... take a compliment...

aw man I'm just so hosed up and vulnerable, captain

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

fuckin nerd rear end space millennials

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

infernal machines posted:

lmao. So switching to a smaller ship just deletes unused crew from the universe?

it never came up :shrug:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

doing the historical clone quest, which is an ok enough concept but

at one point FDR refers to his faction as the believers for some reason

there's a spelling error in the dialogue

it seems like each faction should have had it's own base further away from each other and that was changed

I did the compromise between the pragmatists and believers, but a couple minutes after killing Genghis the believers started attacking me out of nowhere

also after getting a super power I am prompted to talk to Coe, and he acts like he was there when it happened and the others weren't. he was not there. seems like all the constellation companions just word vomit their response as if they were there when the story beat happened? that poo poo happened weeks ago

god drat it's still just like an oblivion expansion

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

So. Is it worth buying, even on sale? Sounds pretty rote and lifeless a la Fallout 4.

Imagine fallout 4 is a restaurant before covid. Starfield is that restaurant after covid

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

ya it seems like my suit protection is instantly overwhelmed whether I invest in it or not, so gently caress it

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

The sound of the Orion is very satisfying

You should be able to see lasers going through enemies though

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

also premonition not showing like/dislike reactions is just fuckin baffling

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The choices boiled down to “spend a lot of money, spend a lot of time, or do a halfassed genocide”. It was so weird not even having to convince them to take the gravity drive and go somewhere else, they go from “we’re not backing down!” To “we’re backing down!” so fast I thought I glitched the quest.

yeah I thought I accidentally skipped something when it sent me straight to the engineer instead of the captain

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

they were trying to finish the game but random people kept wandering into the office and talking over them

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

if there's one improvement over FO4 it's that the bounty board radiant quests tell you what kind of POI they would send you to, so at least you're not going to literally the same place twice in a row. that may be an accidental improvement though

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yeah they could brute force the game into a decent looter shooter by just adding a shitload of new planetside POIs

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

wow, been a long time since I met someone who cares about anyone but themselves

I don't know how to say this, but thank you

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

well I got to the quest to collect the last two artifacts, and one of them is sending me to a big POI I've done twice already. just don't feel like doing it. 7/10 I guess

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

infernal machines posted:

I was cleaning out the mine where Barrett found the first artifact, it was taken over by Va'run, and the whole time Andreja keeps repeating random lines about Spacers and how we've found a Spacer nest and how she doesn't want to deal with Spacers. And it's like, lady, these are your Snake Church bros we're slaughtering here.

*steps over corpse of colleague*

"always feels good to get back on your own ship"

*shields down, hull at 20%, missile lock alarm blaring*

"dad, will you read me a story tonight?"

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

fallout 4 is way, way better than starfield

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

maybe it's just me, but it's immediately unappealing to work for the UC. kinda like how I still haven't played a legion or stormcloak to this day

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yea radiant quests prioritizing undiscovered locations seems like a real no-brainer. I guess nobody at BGS has a brain

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

my wife and I tried playing FO76 and I remember thinking I had hosed something up or lost connection to the server or something, because if you have two people in a party on the same quest that sends you to an instanced dungeon, only the party leader gets credit for the quest and you have to switch off and do everything twice lmao

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

VostokProgram posted:

in 12 years I've never seen an invisible wall apart from the map edges and I've never heard of a mod to remove invisible walls

same

though I have never been much of a "just climb over the mountain" kind of guy. always felt like more trouble than it was worth

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I pick up all the ammo because it's weightless

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

that's why bounty hunter is the best background. all three skills are ones you need to get anyway

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

hope you made a hard save before starting that one

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

Nope. Guessing it's a point of no return?

Really don't care.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I never tried making an outpost because it seemed pointless and turns out it was

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I honestly think it is supposed to be kinda bland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

in the future, all conversation will be people saying "that's a bit of an understatement" back and forth to each other