Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

chiasaur11 posted:

So, I haven't been keeping up with Yurei Deco, but apparently the ending keeps the totalitarian surveillance state intact, only changing out who's in charge and drawing the few outsiders into a government where facebook likes are the only currency?

Because, if that's the case, I'm kind of impressed that the show managed to fall below even my rock bottom expectations.
Oh no, they did a Deca-Dence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Forgall posted:

Oh no, they did a Deca-Dence.

Nah. Deca-dence didn't live up to the high concept episode 2 offered, and it's arguable that the system should have changed more, but the system did change, and for the better, in that show.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

So apparently there is going to be an Onimusha anime directed by Takashi Miike. That seems pretty random.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Julias posted:

Nah. Deca-dence didn't live up to the high concept episode 2 offered, and it's arguable that the system should have changed more, but the system did change, and for the better, in that show.

Pretty dramatic shift in the balance of power, too. Definitely had the former underclass calling a good number of the shots by the end.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

IShallRiseAgain posted:

So apparently there is going to be an Onimusha anime directed by Takashi Miike. That seems pretty random.

After the success of "Arcade" and now "Cyberpunk: Edgerunners," Netflix must be willing to throw the dice on more such projects.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
cant wait to see onimusha warlords shoot up on the steam sales charts

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yurei Deco is probably the biggest disappointment of the season as even the Science Saru fans just stopped talking about it after a few episodes

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

truly a successor to deca-dence

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

deca-dence at least had a cool first arc before it pulled all its punches whereas yurei deco appeared to just be completely DOA from the impressions i saw

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i saw some positive impressions of the first couple episodes but it died harder than deca-dence hype

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The Colonel posted:

i saw some positive impressions of the first couple episodes but it died harder than deca-dence hype

A couple people in this thread were speaking positively about it around episode 9.

That said, yeah. Deca-dence had people finish it and get disappointed. Yurei Deco had people bounce right off.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Are there any series that don't pull their punches last minute nowadays

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Feldegast42 posted:

akudama drive had a pretty hard hitting ending

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Endorph posted:

akudama drive had a pretty hard hitting ending

And Cyberpunk Edgerunners, a.k.a. Akudama Drive Redux feat. Imaishi Triggerness

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Feldegast42 posted:

Yuri got pretty hosed up by the end of Megalobox.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I didn't notice until the last episode that Prima Doll was a Key story, but I suppose I should have in retrospect. Tin Toy Melody was OP of the season for me.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Depending how far back you go, there's also Devilman Crybaby in recent years.

Really, a lot depends on how you define pulled punches. For example, Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans has

an ending where the hero dies along with most of the main supporting characters, and the protagonists lose the epic final battle, but their deaths let the survivors escape and build better lives, with the tyrannical government needing to reform itself to recover from the damage the main characters did.

It also is "pulled punches" compared to an earlier plan where everyone died.

It hits hard, but it could have hit harder. Meanwhile, something like A Place Further than the Universe doesn't have anything bad happen to the protagonists beyond emotional trauma, but given the setup, that's as hard as it had any reason to hit.

Oh, and Chainsaw Man's coming out this season. That one's... special.

FilthyImp posted:

Yuri got pretty hosed up by the end of Megalobox.

But he lived, and so did Joe. Compared to the original, where Yuri's counterpart died in the ring, traumatizing Joe, and where Joe possibly died himself (the artist said it's intentionally ambiguous), that's a love-tap, not a knockout.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Sep 26, 2022

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4013381

Hey Julias, I made a thread for Witch from Mercury for when the Fall thread comes up

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Waffleman_ posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4013381

Hey Julias, I made a thread for Witch from Mercury for when the Fall thread comes up

thank you for doing the needful

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
New Season thread is up: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4013387

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
This season of Overlord felt ..... low energy?? .... for some reason. It ended a little stronger with the big reveal that Princess Renner had been the actual villain behind the invasion & destruction of the Re-Estize Kingdom and there was a bunch of things that should have been pretty fun such as the big arena fight and the invasion of the dwarf kingdom and the dragon kingdom but ..... meh?

It was a bit weird that Carne Village featured so heavily in previous seasons but I don't think it appeared at all this time around

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

This season of Overlord felt ..... low energy?? .... for some reason. It ended a little stronger with the big reveal that Princess Renner had been the actual villain behind the invasion & destruction of the Re-Estize Kingdom and there was a bunch of things that should have been pretty fun such as the big arena fight and the invasion of the dwarf kingdom and the dragon kingdom but ..... meh?

It was a bit weird that Carne Village featured so heavily in previous seasons but I don't think it appeared at all this time around

The anime skips over a lot of the character development of the fat dragon and the troll. The dragon spends most of his time reading, which his father looked down upon, and the troll was considering getting a wife and all the issues that would entail. Also, Carne Village shows up at the end of the Dwarf Kingdom arc with the Dwarves having set up their workshop there in the LN.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The Dragon, Dwarf, and Troll plots were like, entirely disconnected from the plot of the season. You could chop them out and literally nothing changes, no character development, no status quo changes that affect the overall plot. Nothing.

Also, I know I'm like 3 seasons in now so I should know better, but like, am I supposed to be rooting for the humans or Ainz? Because I'm rooting for the humans.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

Because I'm rooting for the humans.

This place is a message... and part of a system of messages... pay attention to it!

Sending this message was important to us. We considered ourselves to be a powerful culture.

This place is not a place of honor... no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here... nothing valued is here.

What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us. This message is a warning about danger.

The danger is in a particular location... it increases towards a center... the center of danger is here... of a particular size and shape, and below us.

The danger is still present, in your time, as it was in ours.

The danger is to the body, and it can kill.

The form of the danger is an emanation of energy.

The danger is unleashed only if you substantially disturb this place physically. This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Annointed posted:

HOLY gently caress DANMACHI SEASON 4 EPISODE 10

BELL LOST HIS loving ARM and possibly his life in getting his neck snapped and tossed several yards into the air

Kung Food posted:

Based on anime plot rules the options are:
*It was part of prophecy girl's vision, psych!
*Some sort of decoy technique, psych!
*Some healing technique that we haven't seen up until this exact moment.
*Mid battle power up that lets him reattach his gd arm.
*Gets through it through sheer grit and force of will arm reattached later.

Turns out the answer was the magical healing powers of mermaid blood which I guess we should have figured out

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Since it's a Summer series, this is the best place to sum up "Call of the Night."

In short, very enjoyable, ended on an unusual note, but having read the manga they really couldn't have done anything differently, much the same way the first part of SPY x FAMILY ends just before the episode where they get the dog. If it is at all possible, I hope Linden Films gets to make a second season, because I know that things get crazy starting from this point on. Koh may be having trouble falling in love, but Nazuna could suck on me right now and I'd gladly join the Corpuscle Consumers. Especially after finding out it makes you attractive, something I've always wondered what it would be like.

Meanwhile, the other show I watched and enjoyed was "A Herbivorous Dragon of 5000 Years Gets Unfairly Villainized, " which has been a silly romp for 10 weeks and I hope also gets another season.

And now, ON TO FALL!

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I’m surprised that Made in Abyss s2 doesn’t seem to have gotten the same buzz that the first series got, at least around here, because I loved it. In fact unless something comes along at the last minute and blows it away, it’s probably going to be my favourite show of the year.

It does have kind of a slow start, and the first episode had me worried that it was going into an extended flashback arc, but this wasn’t the case and the flashbacks we did see were very important. On the whole the show is as gloriously grotesque as ever, like a Studio Ghibli movie written by H. P. Lovecraft, full of body horror and bizarre and alien sights. It trades in the continuous travel aspect of the first season for having the characters hang around one location, which I know bothered some people, but I think it used that location to tell a good story that continued to probe the mysteries of the abyss. The only part of I would get rid of would be the bit with the Mitty clone which I think went nowhere and just rehashed stuff from the previous season but other than that it was great.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Doodles posted:

I hope Linden Films gets to make a second season

it seems like the manga's sales spiked due to the anime and the manga's still ongoing so, seems quite possible.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Bakeneko posted:

I’m surprised that Made in Abyss s2 doesn’t seem to have gotten the same buzz that the first series got, at least around here, because I loved it. In fact unless something comes along at the last minute and blows it away, it’s probably going to be my favourite show of the year.

It does have kind of a slow start, and the first episode had me worried that it was going into an extended flashback arc, but this wasn’t the case and the flashbacks we did see were very important. On the whole the show is as gloriously grotesque as ever, like a Studio Ghibli movie written by H. P. Lovecraft, full of body horror and bizarre and alien sights. It trades in the continuous travel aspect of the first season for having the characters hang around one location, which I know bothered some people, but I think it used that location to tell a good story that continued to probe the mysteries of the abyss. The only part of I would get rid of would be the bit with the Mitty clone which I think went nowhere and just rehashed stuff from the previous season but other than that it was great.

It's because people get banned for talking about it op

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

It's because people get banned for talking about it op

Didn't realize that. I mean it's included in the op of this thread and there's no mention of any such rule, but okay.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Bakeneko posted:

Didn't realize that. I mean it's included in the op of this thread and there's no mention of any such rule, but okay.

Yeah it wasn’t handled in here.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Okay uhh, in order:
1. Those ban/30s were pretty dumb and FD handling the qcs threads personally was worse. No excuse for that.
2. This anime is creepy as hell, discussion of it is no longer welcome on SA. So there is no confusion, let's just say that all discussion of anime featuring "nude child torture" is off limits.
3. I'm not gonna go ban everyone who discussed it, as fucker said that's some stupid victory lap poo poo. If someone posted that they are very horny for the children then they can go too. If they are only guilty of watching this anime, well, I do think that's a bit odd, but that's not bannable or even worth thinking about.
4. I banned that I Love Annie May person and added a 30 days to the OP of the anime thread who came here to defend it.

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

It'd be nice to have a stickied list of verboten anime, paired with why, for precisely this reason. It doesn't even have to be comprehensive -- just something that would allow people to extrapolate and predict moderators' actions. Otherwise you get unaware goons who don't trawl the QCS subforum caught in the crossfire when they go to talk about wildly popular, currently-airing anime.

This, of course, would require the anime forum to have a mod, and after the way FluffDaddy was treated over MiA, no poo poo no one's going to want to be a mod. I wouldn't want to be one either.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
if we start needing forum rules about what anime you are and are not legally allowed to talk about like some resetera banned games list poo poo i am gonna take teh biggest piss

marumaru
May 20, 2013

getting randomly banned because you haven't read up on the last 5 years of ADTRW lore is loving stupid. there's no reason to have secret rules in place, just put up a loving sticky

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i feel like most "banned animes" are of the "if you're asking the question you know why it's banned" variety, but given made in abyss is airing on adult swim that one should be special cased as worth a "we don't talk about the naked child torture anime here" rule, especially since as i understand it the naked child torture scenes aren't something a fresh viewer will necessarily see right at the start of the show.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
I recently brought up over on the Fall season thread that Aniplex had announced a remake of Rurouni Kenshin, not knowing what the problem with its' creator was, but another goon realized that I was simply unaware and politely explained what had happened. (In short: loving YIKES.) I'd hate to have gotten a ban for that lack of knowledge, so maybe a thread listing problematic shows and why they are on said list could be helpful.

I dunno. Keeping & posting such a thread would need to be a Moderator's job, and I can't imagine the hassle it would cause.

Endorph posted:

it seems like the manga's sales spiked due to the anime and the manga's still ongoing so, seems quite possible.
I'm glad to hear that and wish everyone involved in both manga & anime good luck.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Okay uhh, in order:
1. Those ban/30s were pretty dumb and FD handling the qcs threads personally was worse. No excuse for that.
2. This anime is creepy as hell, discussion of it is no longer welcome on SA. So there is no confusion, let's just say that all discussion of anime featuring "nude child torture" is off limits.
3. I'm not gonna go ban everyone who discussed it, as fucker said that's some stupid victory lap poo poo. If someone posted that they are very horny for the children then they can go too. If they are only guilty of watching this anime, well, I do think that's a bit odd, but that's not bannable or even worth thinking about.
4. I banned that I Love Annie May person and added a 30 days to the OP of the anime thread who came here to defend it.

I agree that Made in Abyss should be explicitly called out in the rules thread at the very least.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i can't imagine someone eating a probe or ban for just talking about Rurouni Kenshin, as it's not the content of the show itself that's an issue. i mean i can imagine things people could say while talking about the show that might earnt hem a probe, but i'm pretty sure if someone came in hyped up to talk about their favorite Rurouni Kenshin moments they'd just get told "yeah you might wanna google that manga author real quick". talking about the show itself is basically harmless, though given the additional context i doubt many would want to seriously discuss it

i really think MiA is a pretty special case here, any other case i can think of is pretty easily solved by "think about what that anime is for more than 3 seconds"

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Doodles posted:

I recently brought up over on the Fall season thread that Aniplex had announced a remake of Rurouni Kenshin, not knowing what the problem with its' creator was, but another goon realized that I was simply unaware and politely explained what had happened. (In short: loving YIKES.) I'd hate to have gotten a ban for that lack of knowledge, so maybe a thread listing problematic shows and why they are on said list could be helpful.

I dunno. Keeping & posting such a thread would need to be a Moderator's job, and I can't imagine the hassle it would cause.

I'm glad to hear that and wish everyone involved in both manga & anime good luck.

I don't think people would catch anything in terms of punishment when talking about that. It's the creator that was the creep, not the show's content. As far as I remember, of course.

Now, because the creator is a creep, the show's probably gonna get very little, if any, discussion around here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

in kenshins case itd be one thing if someone was defending watsuki but i dont think people should get blammed for just talking about kenshin itself, yea. people talk about polanski films in cined, presumably.