Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Hoshi no Samidare/Wakusei no Samidare/Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer (the names make this is a pain to search for) definitely deserves a :siren:. It's possible the adaptation may suck, that's always a risk, but the manga is enormously loved for a reason.

The original/first season Devil is a Part Timer was also great, here's hoping the new one can keep that up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Sindai posted:

My expectations on the animation front were average and Biscuit Hammer met them. Too bad, but still worth watching since it's main strength was the writing anyway.

Maybe it's because I was expecting the worst, but it was a pleasant surprise. The animation wasn't great but it wasn't horrible either. I guess in the next few weeks we find out if that's because they spent all their prep time on the first episode. But as you note, the popularity of Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer was never really about the art.

I did miss Mizukami's distinctive art style. Also is it me or did they make Samidare look even younger? I know she's supposed to look young for her age, but between the voice acting and their relative heights it felt like she was depicted as even more childish in the anime. Maybe that's my memory playing tricks on me though. (Edit: Glancing through the manga a bit you almost never see Yuuhi and Samidare standing next to each other and Mizukami's very stylized art makes telling ages hard so I guess my imagination filled in the rest and the anime depicts them differently.)

I feel like they at least made good use of comedic timing, which is going to be important in the future considering the source material.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 9, 2022

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Supremezero posted:

No, it's intentionally basically out of nowhere.

I just checked and in the manga instead of "where am I?" he says "It's the dream about the door again", but as far as I can tell it's the first time the manga viewer has seen it. The scene is otherwise basically the same.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Kung Food posted:

3 episodes in and vegan dragon is super fun. It's what I am enjoying the most so far this season.

Oh hey, I didn't realize that was airing. I guess it got off to a late start? I remember the manga being pretty funny.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

marumaru posted:

OK lol that single image has convinced me to watch that

That image was from his pre-reincarnation life, where he spends all his time trying to get stronger (since his goal is to be the cliche super strong character guiding things from the shadows) but is limited to bodybuilding. Post reincarnation he looks relatively normal because he can train in other ways.

It's basically an OP isekai where the joke is the protagonist is a chuuni, believes he is a chuuni and everyone else is just playing along with his ad-libbed act, but the rest of the world is playing it completely straight. If you read the description and think it's going to get old once the initial joke wears thin, then yeah, that's pretty much the case. But it is pretty amusing until that point.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Sep 19, 2022