Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Nathan Fielder: producer of the only good reality tv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I wonder to what extend his house of cards was constructed. Like, did his group of friends refer him to job positions which require a masters degree for months? Did he fake rejection letters, which imply that it was not due to his education?
I also wonder what his job situation is. Was he continuously unemployed for the past decade, because he was pretending to be overeducated for all those lowly BA professions?`

One of the favorite parts of Nathan for You was the Uber episode and more specifically, how Nathan obtained a bunch of burner phones.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Man, that woman really sucks. Where does Nathan dig up these people?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Imagine being the guy in charge of Nathan's budget.
"Yeah, I need you guys to transport the replica of that bar to Oregon." That's a bit on the expensive side. Do you have any plans for that?" "Not really, no. But it feels familiar."

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

This sure is a bad thread. But it's not the worst show thread on the forums. That'd be The Boys thread in TVIV. The boys thread. In TVIV.

Generally, the quality of a Thread is inversely correlated with the amount of posts. Unsurprisingly, the two Star Trek threads are the worst of TVIV.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Snooze Cruise posted:

fun thread topic!! : what would nathan help you rehearse

Probably something mundane and boring which pretty much anyone will go through, like being nervous at a first date, or scrapping together food and water in a world ravaged by climate change. Fun stuff.
He would probably build a giant Truman Show style studio where he has full control over the climate, only to make it a copy of the Nevada desert. But that's just what first dates are like.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jul 25, 2022

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

JAMOOOL posted:

either way I feel like nobody on either of Nathan's shows has been more acutely and accurately portrayed than this guy

Everyone of these people is exactly as they are portrayed.
Ironically, only Nathan is vastly different, since he has adapted a public persona for his everyday life.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Wow, that sure was an ending!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
It's quite entertaining. It feels like a mockumentary, but every now and then, you remember that this guy exists.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I still don't really know what that show was. But I Have mad respect for that director. This was a real long term passion project for him.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

EL BROMANCE posted:

What did she do that made her the good one? She seemed pretty useless and happy to keep feeding PTG garbage with no real basis just to keep him paying her until he got to be too much.

The other guy told her "how could you let this cash cow let go." Or something like that. Seems a bit sleazier.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Isn't sexwork usually paid by the hour anyway? I don't get the need for extra speed here. Maybe in a brothel were you want to process the customers quickly, but I dunno. I guess some people might have a price model based on nothing but ejaculation. At least in Paul's mind.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
By this point, it's fair to assume that Nathan Fielder has made the whole show as a pretense to suddenly stand behind me while I finish watching it. You and everyone else is in on it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
The first episode of The Curse shows some promise, but it was kinda slow. But I do like Nathan's acting.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Mordja posted:

Is the first episode gonna be the only hour long one? I know some shows do that.

IMDB claims that it's a 30 minute show, so I guess.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Harminoff posted:

Who actually is Nathan?

This is a rabbit hole you might want to explore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iavoSO6lOLQ

It's a really giod video.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Peanut Butler posted:

haha that's incredible, excellent entry into the long history of comedians going on late nite shows doing purely a bit

Yeah, one day we will see the real Emma Stone.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Haha. The only person in the focus group who likes Asher is the climate change denier. That's worse than scoring a straight 0.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Nov 24, 2023

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I loved the sweater scene. Just a really sweet moment they immediately slaughter for Likes. I don't know if I hate those people.
Also, Nathan is a good actor. That scene at the end, when Asher gave some backtalk was intense.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
That Asher guy sure seems a bit stiff. Must be the actor's fault.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Mordja posted:

She's just giving out her credit card info wtf

A nice contrast to Asher in the first episode, who was a tad reluncant with regards to his bank card and changed his pin afterwards. Honestly, he did nothing wrong there. "Here, let me get the money from your account, I'm the only one who can do it right," seems fishy.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Henchman of Santa posted:

It also adds to the comedy element. Insanely ominous music playing because Whitney may have to sell her property to a guy with scattershot socio-political views is extremely funny.

Like, it's not even scattershot. That guy seems to be their absolute dream customer and he really appreciates the concept of the house. Except that for some unknowable reason he is a complete cop fanboy. It's a giant red flag with a blue stripe on it, but Whitney was really expecting to find more faults than that one so she had a clearer decision. If he turned out to be a gun waving redneck who keeps a photo of the January 6th in his briefcase, the decision would have been a lot simpler for her.
I'd give that guy the benefit of the doubt. Maybe in his youth he once met a cop who acted as if he'd be a nice person and that absurd idea just festered like a tumor in his otherwise alright brain.

The dynamic of those two is getting worse and worse. Asher is a bit of an opportunist, who keeps the bottom line in mind and is quite awkward, but in general he seems to be genuinely well-meaning. Whitney on the other hand turns more and more into a monster. She clearly had this dream of living on her own power and rejuvenating a neighborhood and being praised as a savior from childhood and whenever something turns out slightly different from her imagination, she starts to lose it. Basically, she's a bridezilla, but it's the renovation documentary rather than a wedding.
In the beginning she seemed like the more sympathetic one. I guess it's a race to the bottom with those people.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Dec 10, 2023

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

bobjr posted:

Did this episode confirm that Whitney’s parents are more actively behind the homes than they let on?

Pretty much. Sounds like they gave her a ridiculous amount of starter capital and like they are sooo happy for her independence wink wink.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

It feels very much like those "financial advice" articles you'll read about "How to be financially independent and debt free by the age of 30!" and they always start with "My parents gave me $500k to buy my own house, pay my debts, and start my own company."

Actually, they start more like, "I always brew my coffee at home, or buy the better one from my local community to give back to it and I save money by turning off the lights in empty rooms, which also saves the planet." Your part appears somewhere in the midst of paragraph four.
And yeah, that feels like exactly who Whitney is. I don't think I like her very much.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 12, 2023

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
It turns out that Asher is the one who has the magic powers. The world molds in the way he perceives it. He is the Creator and his own creation. The girl planted some doubts into his perception of what is normal. The seems of his mind extend and by the end of the series the universe unravels.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Dec 17, 2023

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Harriet Carker posted:

I feel like there’s almost 0% chance this is true. Product placement is supposed to show products in a positive light and make them attractive for purchase. This entire scene was tense and uncomfortable and there’s no way anyone watches it and comes out thinking “hmm, I should check out Alienware computers!”

Whitney straight up says that though. If a hot woman claims that she would want to check out an alienware computer, would you not want to check out an alienware computer?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

1glitch0 posted:

Guy: Yeah, it was a box of hentai.

Whitney ::nodding sagely:: Oh, wow. I didn't know you could mail order sushi. Do they freeze dry it, or....?

"Do you make it with rice?"
Man, Whitney sucks so much. This show is great!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I guess it's useful if you want to store a large amount of dubious cash, but why does she have a padlock on her freezer? Is that a normal thing around there? Are there gangs who break into peoples houses and steal their frozen food?

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 22, 2023

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Man the directing of this show is really something else.
When Whitney came to visit Cara (?) at that diner, you first only see her in the reflective surface. And the moment you would see her, someone conveniently walks in front of her first. It was kind of surreal. Can someone make a gif of that?

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Dec 29, 2023

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Thanks. I honestly can't even describe why that shot feels so weird to me.
Maybe it's supposed to show how Whitney is a fake person who we only really see in reflections.
But the random people walking in front at that time are definitely planned.
Like, you see Whitney in the reflection and she gets closer. You mostly focus on her and your brain ignores the random bystanders. But then she stands right next to them and they turn in that direction and for a split second my brain wonders why she doesn't show up in the real world.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 29, 2023

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Imagine paying 1.5k for one of those little bowls.
Also it's weird how much better Whitney / Emma looks when she has her hair tied back.

Nathan is a good actor and makes me so goddamn uncomfortable. "That's a good girl."

atrus50 posted:

ahhh its mirrors on mirrors in this show

Makes sense. Most scenes are shot through glass or reflections after all. I consciously watched for that this episode. It's specifically Whitney. Either she's behind glass or has her face turned way from the viewer. The scene viewing was actually one of the first clear shots of hers.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jan 6, 2024

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I have three ideas ordered by decreasing likeliness.

La Espanola is actually a sealing ground for ancient evils. Whitney is tearing down houses and erroding the community to destroy the sanctity of the place to let them free.

The show is happening in the real world, but it turns out that's not ours. We are a fictional world within the Curse-Verse. Whitney and Asher had a side gig where they played the characters "Emma Stone" and "Nathan Fielder."

Everything turns out fine and these crazy idealists manage to influence the world for the better and will stay in a happy realtionship built on a foundation of trust and mutual respect.

Let's see if Nathan can top any of this.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jan 6, 2024

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Wungus posted:

They finally find a great buyer for a house; a man who graduated from Canadian business school with pretty good grades. Asher becomes enamored and leaves Whitney for him.

Eventually, Asher strangles him and takes his identity.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think I have very broad definition of things I'd consider a comedy. At some point if it gets absurd enough it just transforms into one. For example in my book both "You" and "Reacher" are comedy shows.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
In hindsight, this was a bit too formulaic and mundane.
Whitney gets freaked out and starts having contractions and rushes to the hospital. When the baby arrives Asher doesn't show up because he's fully focused on his personal problems.
So many stories work like this.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

wizardofloneliness posted:

Gravity reversing and falling into the sky was one of my weird nonsensical childhood fears, so this was actually quite unsettling to watch.

:same:
It's good when your phobias are stuff like that rather than something a bit more likely.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
One thing which didn't really make sense was Whit and Ash hugging and perfectly balancing in the air. Wouldn't whoever has more mass (even if it's ever so slightly more) pull the other one down? As a sum they'd weigh relatively little but I don't think their difference is so little that they could be buoyant on air.

Yes. That is the thing I have problems with. The rest is fine!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

FunkyAl posted:

Among the many great and interesting things about this show, I think it is funny that the "cool in the summer hot in the winter" concept pretty accurately describes a house made out of Adobe.

Adequate insulation is not a novel concept... Those ugly glass houses are allegedly just good at that.