Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Heavy Metal posted:

And so many obscure anime I'd love to either watch or just see a few eps of for a taste. Steam Detectives and Ruin Explorers are a couple random one I added lately. And always been curious about Silent Mobius, stuff like that.

Been indulging in some rewatching too, which I don't do much for series. It's crazy nostalgia rewatching Cowboy Bebop, since it'd been about 20 years since I've seen it all. Outlaw Star, Trigun, Nadesico, gonna throw some of the ol' hits in the mix. Been meaning to rewatch Hajime no Ippo and hop onto the manga too, ditto for GTO and some others. Only ever saw the first season of Yu Yu Hakusho... lotta anime.

Ruin Explorers is an underrated gem. It even has a great dub for the time, and from ADV who would sometimes only direct their actors with "okay, now louder."

I revisited Trigun and Outlaw Star recently and they both hold up. The latter's one of those series that inexplicably means a lot for a variety of reasons, so bias. I'm old enough to remember people yelling that Outlaw Star ripped off Bebop despite the only similarities really being "people on a small spaceship do things" and the manga for Outlaw Star coming out before Bebop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

sb hermit posted:

in what place does lost universe end up?

does it even place at all?

I tried watching it as a big Slayers fan and I remember bouncing off it pretty hard. It didn't have Slayers' spark.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

One thing on Lost Universe that sprung to mind that meant it didn't really measure up to Slayers is that while Slayers' character were all pretty simple in concept they were also well defined. The female lead in LU said she wanted to be "the best ever!" and I'm not entirely sure that in the part I watched - which was probably the first VHS - we ever found out at what exactly.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/discotekmedia/status/1654553216363950080

Can't say this isn't tempting.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I don't know and have no opinion.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Going through my BDs to find I've got Martian Successor Nadesico which I'm happy about and have fond memories of but please refresh my memory: Is it the series that has a terrible ending or is it the movie which was terrible? (Or both, I guess sadly.)

Anecdote: Nadesico had the first character, Izumi, who made me feel really bad for localizers because I think 99% of what she said was wordplay that made sense only in Japanese.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Buffis posted:

Some younger coworkers talking about anime, and they mentioned a "Real old anime called Read or Die" which made me feel very old, cause I remember buying that DVD...

But yeah, apparently that came out 22 years ago, and since they are mid-to-late twenties that makes sense I guess but drat.

Anyways, watch the Read or Die OVA, it is prettygood.

TV series was really good, too. Very well regarded dub. I remember they packed out a big convention hall in LA, I think it was.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

My Gunbuster BD's on its way. :toot: I've never actually seen it but I'm sure I'll like it at least well enough.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/discotekmedia/status/1666514529214402561

Always heard great things about it, the only flaw is maybe it gets repetitive?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TenementFunster posted:

jesus christ i can’t believe stuff we were talking about in ADTRW as it was airing is “retro” now but yeah cormartie RULES

Honestly I hesitated posting the link because it felt too recent to me as well but then I realized my concept of the passing of time has been shot.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I've also just discovered there's a BD for the Darkstalkers OVA and it's super tempting even if I know that the middle when it focuses on Donovan and the kid is a giant slog and I'd much rather see Lord Raptor and Felicia duking it out again. (Scott McNeil was so good as Raptor. He needed more time.)

But like I say, even so it's tempting.

Baby I'm a trouble man.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Heavy Metal posted:

Absolutely, I love those 90s fighting game ones. Fatal Fury and Street Fighter ones are my favs too. Been meaning to revisit all those, Darkstalkers too. Seemed like a high point for licensed game stuff, they even incorporated elements of the Street Fighter II anime movie into the future games.

Absolutely. Even in Street Fighter 6 Cammy does that 'handstand on your shoulders, swing around and break your back' move she did on the British official.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cat's Eye sure, why not!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

There's a YouTube channel that has Cat's Eye up all official like (at least in the States) and I'd forgotten how easy to watch in chunks it is. Hitomi is sort of dating Toshio, who is a cop which is unfortunate, but also Cat's Eye make the cops look like buffoons so net positive.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/discotekmedia/status/1671612126228783104

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'd love it if Disco could get ahold of RoD TV. (And if they have already, please let me know.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SatoshiMiwa posted:

It's an Aniplex series so it's never gonna leave Aniplex jail. At most they could do a cheaper BD release on like Crunchy/Funi now that Sony owns them (But I really doubt it)

I was afraid of that. Aniplex always seemed extremely resistant to the idea of releasing it (or the OVA) again. Thanks.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Good soup! posted:

lol what the gently caress

I have this weird memory of there being some requirement that it needed to be on primetime tv or some oddball horseshit but I likely have that completely confused with something else

Yeesh. That's like Gainax making Funimation give the Eva movies a theatrical release.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TenementFunster posted:

so like $55 an episode?

It does put one in mind of The Old Days where they wanted 30 for two episodes on DVD, something some companies never could figure out just didn't fly outside of Japan (and I believe led to reverse importing in Japan).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/endshark/status/1678444122435198985

Valid reminder.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vandar posted:

Is Ruin Explorers any good?

I quite like it. It's got some very Western cartoon influenced vibes. There's a dog one of the characters has who is basically Muttley from Hanna-Barbera's Dastardly & Muttley. It's an OVA so it's only like four episodes and has that nice extra OVA budget kick to the animation. Even the dub, despite being from the time period when ADV hadn't really figured out how to direct good dubs is very solid.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I've entered my 'big fan of Lupin III' phase. I was provided with this handy guide:

Found that I do enjoy it when it's less morally ambiguous but I plan on catching Fujiko Mine (heh) soon.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

My Iria Blu-Ray shipped! :toot:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/discotekmedia/status/1731748900716134743

This might be exciting? I genuinely don't know, I just heard about it for ages.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'll throw Gunbuster into the mix. Both the Read or Die OVA and TV series are excellent so I'll back that recommend. Personal favorite of the one listed is El-Hazard which might have been the first great dub I ever heard.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It's premiering in 45 hours but of possible interest the Anime on TMS channel is going to show Lupin the 3rd: Green vs. Red: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vETBL2K91KU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Good soup! posted:

The original dub is ridiculous because the actual voice cast is decent, but the script goes out of its way to avoid any sort of faithful adaptation lol, it never explains what the gently caress hokuto shinken is (IIRC the Japanese version has a short monologue over Ken shaving off his beard and streamline decided to just leave it silent)

That reminds me that one of the actors who worked on the Dragon Maid show is seven years later still getting poo poo for how her adapted line mentions the patriarchy - that she didn't even write - and then I look at this stuff and imagine how the old days of localization would just make these kids wilt. (It's not about dub accuracy and it never was.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sakurazuka posted:

AnimEigo is sort of still around, they just only do one Kickstarter bluray of stuff they owned years ago every 5 years.

Apparently their Bubblegum Crisis re-release was really good? I didn't know about it until it was too late.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Not a drill:

https://twitter.com/discotekmedia/status/1744571047025021059

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

FilthyImp posted:

We are very much spoiled by the speed at which we get subs but also an increase in overall knowledge and professionalism in the translation industry, and the concept of respecting the original work by giving it a faithful adaptation. But I think that's kind of built on the back of shoddy/loose dubs creating a sense that the originals were some kind of hidden truth, or just plain different enough to be their own thing.

Yeah, it's wild that people to this day complain about a single line in the Dragon Maid show. Now in this specific case it's really not about holistic devotion to the source material, it used the word 'patriarchy' and was done by a wommin and thus the wailing and gnashing of teeth by an entire buffet of idiots but even so they give off the impression that these delicate hothouse flowers would not have survived 80's and 90's animu translation.

Anyway, the KMFDM song when Chun-Li fought Vega was really cool.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I was going to say Sentai FIlmworks became HI-DIVE, but just remembered that Sentai Filmworks was an ADV offshoot originally

I remember hearing they went with Sentai at the time to avoid having to pay on stuff ADV owed but that could just be ancient forum gossip.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TenementFunster posted:

https://x.com/worldofcrap/status/1746239810908676254?s=46&t=8jS-o7_KHq5xMKziwA_ASw
things looking grim on the right stuf dirty pair kickstarter (which i cannot remember if i backed or not)

https://twitter.com/worldofcrap/status/1746259772629017071

That's wild. And as Justin points out this was the biggest ever anime KS so there it should have been long done.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SatoshiMiwa posted:

None are as good as the original but 2 is fun enough, 3 is kinda of bleah even though it has an Obari cut (they introduced a guy to have A-ko and B-ko pine over so bleah) and 4 is actually a pretty good wrap up to the series. The VS OAV isn't good but is amusing if you treat it as fanfiction/doujin getting an animation

Do you recall which one was in heavy rotation on early Sci-Fi Channel?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

FilthyImp posted:

That would have been stuff like Tenchi Muyo: The Movie, FATAL FURY 1&2, the Galaxy Expresses, Beautiful Dreamer.

I think Tenchi in Love might have been my first exposure to the franchise which was not ideal. I eventually came around to the typical line of thinking: The OVA is good, the TV series too long and everything else is strictly a matter of personal taste.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SatoshiMiwa posted:

El Hazzard feels like a much better version of a Tenchi type show and I think holds up way better though some of the Tenchi spin offs like Pretty Sammy are low key important series

El-Hazard was such a fun OVA. It also had the first really good dub I can recall seeing and did some very fun things with localization, like Jinnai in the original names his five lieutenants after Japanese comedians that I promise nobody watching in English heard of so in the dub he names them after the Marx Brothers.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vandar posted:

Also wow looking it up and there's a lot more Tenchi spinoffs than I thought.

Yeah, periodically Pioneer or whomever wheels their little cart into the Tenchi mine and emerges with content but to further torture the mine analogy said mine is getting played out.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kingtheninja posted:

Oh man, my friends and I were talking about random shows we used to watch constantly ages ago. I remember having the street fighter 2 V tapes and watching them over and over (the first time I learned about the name changes) and my friend had a few dvds of the bubblegum crisis show (the one from 2000 or whenever) we'd watch all the time.

I'm in the minority but I liked BGC 2040 even if it's very of its time but it absolutely doesn't have the OVA's wild energy (or its animation budget).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

That's a delightful trip down memory lane. Lot of RaXephon and Excel in there. Some Noir too.

I remember Excel's original dub actress Jessica Calvello got so into voicing her she blew her voice out and had to be replaced halfway through.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Heavy Metal posted:

I showed the first ep of 2040 to a friend like a year ago, mainly it's the one gal Linna running around in her bad business job and happening across Priss at random and it's very chill and vibe oriented. Very quirky, but I think somewhere in the ballpark of the philosophy of style that Bebop was going for. Late 90s cool, like slacker cool. Didn't make a new fan there, but yeah one of my favs. It's kind of laidback and for me it's something pretty cool.

One thing 2040 has going for it over the OVA is it has a point for Linna to exist who was always just kind of The Fourth One in the original but if you gave me a stern look and said Linna also kind of loses her point as the series goes on I couldn't say no. Still, making her a POV character was a great idea because everybody else is way more plugged into things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I have an odd amount of affection for Dirty Pair Flash. It has that OVA budget so it looks nice and it's just kind of funny them trying the revamp and throwing things to the wall to see what stick like their magical girl style transformations into their work outfits.