Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

One Piece also had Kaizoku subs who, as far as I can recall anyway, were pretty decent other than their insistence that 'nakama' was a word of such intrinsic value to OP that it should be left untranslated.

They loved a fancy font special move subtitle too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Good soup! posted:

What's funny is the cast for the movie has some solid actors in it, but the script is just an absolutely incomprehensible mess and the direction is just flat out weird

The TV show didn't fare much better with that terrible drum and bass soundtrack but it at least had a closer script. I'm a little sad there wasn't an option on the Discotek release to have English VO + original score but I have a feeling the sound/video Toei has to work with is in rough shape

I liked the drum n bass tv soundtrack lol

The Streamline dub is a classic but not because it's good. But it is very, very quotable.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Honestly the whole original FotNS English tv release is funny as gently caress. Manga Ent desperate for money decided to try and release 150 episode tv series from 1984 because the movie was their second biggest hit after Akira, which only did those numbers because it was the second thing they released after Akira and people bought it expecting more of the same.

Someone, realising they had a massive dud on their hands trying to sell an ugly, often poorly animated 15 year old show, decided the the best way to spruce it up was with a contemporary soundtrack! Of cheap to license original music by people you will never have heard of!

They got up to episode 36 (48 depending on where you lived) before cutting their losses and cancelling the whole thing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Don't get me wrong I love FotNS tv but it was a hard sell to Manga Ents casual fanbase who expected cutting edge movies and ovas.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah I think the only other company that tried to sell a show with more than 26 eps on VHS was VIZ, and they were selling to collectors and otaku. And I'm pretty sure they didn't finish either Ranma 1/2 or Urusei Yatsura

E: UY was actually AnimEigo which I thought originally then got confused because VIZ released the manga. And apparently they did finish it.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 30, 2022

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Can't have been worse than the incredibly weird Ninja Scroll TV series

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Wolf thing was mostly to avoid any possible issues with Leblanc's estate, assuming anyone cared enough to bother, which considering how quickly it was dropped no one did.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's what 'shoujo' used to mean in the 80's & 90's

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ardeem posted:

Gun Smith Cats to go with that Riding Bean?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXE4wO-Qt48

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dubbed Fist of the Northstar movie on YT (unless it gets taken down lol)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxl0dICRna4

Interestingly this is the old Streamline dub over the Japanese version of the movie (no English title or credits, also wrong movie in the thumbnail lol) not gotten far enough to see if it has the full ending or the incomplete one used for the dub version.

I have insane nostalgia for this but had forgotten how utterly weird a movie it was. It really ramps up the mysticism and 'Kenshiro as the messiah' stuff.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Streamline was very much in to trying to westernise anime as much as possible, it was founded by Carl Macek lol

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Arc Hammer posted:

ADV is about the only company from that time that still exists to some extent in the modern day.

AnimEigo is sort of still around, they just only do one Kickstarter bluray of stuff they owned years ago every 5 years.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Didn't realise this was a big thing I've had the UK bluray set for a couple of years.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kingtheninja posted:

Is this a version of the show worth checking out if I've never seen berserk? I know about it but never sat down to watch anything.

It's very budget looking in places, even for a show from 1998, but nails the atmosphere a magnitude better than any other adaptation.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ADV's 'just license everything no matter how lovely' policy would have worked well if they'd lasted into the streaming era, less so when you had to give it DVD release.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Good soup! posted:

Sci Fi Channel is where I saw Fist of the North Star, at least I think it was, I remember them using excessive amounts of pixelization for all the excessive blood

I remember Lily C.A.T. in the rotation too, I think that's just an Alien ripoff IIRC

Not sure if they added extra but the FotNS movie was always censored by a weird blurry filter.

Originally it wasn't going to have it (and there's at least one trailer that used the filterless version and the Italian home release was based on a workprint version that didn't have it for some scenes) but the popularity of the toned down tv anime with younger kids forced them to add the filter late into production.

I remember reading that it was due to protests from the Japanese PTA but can't find any evidence of that now.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Chad behaviour imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

SF V was good for, as far as I can tell unintentionally, making Ryu and Ken gay as gently caress in the first episode