Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

yup. all the planets moons and sun need to align to reveal the island. we're getting asimovs nightfall part 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Is Vegapunk's message over or does he have more to say?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Meowywitch posted:

Is Vegapunk's message over or does he have more to say?

I think he jumped to the conclusion and will now work backwards to show why his prediction is logical/legitimate to the world.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
Are Fishmen humans that adapted to the ever rising sea? Is this Waterworld? Probably not, but they sure will benefit. Lots of free underwater cities coming their way.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Flubby posted:

Are Fishmen humans that adapted to the ever rising sea? Is this Waterworld? Probably not, but they sure will benefit. Lots of free underwater cities coming their way.

lmaoing @ the idea of the fishmen all leaving fishman island and finally rejoining the surface, only for everything to sink back under the ocean and having to reclaim fishman island like a decade later anyways

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Bleck posted:

Weird long bomb call I'm gonna toss out - the ocean is rising because it's alive.

Under D. Sea

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

I think we will get more info from Vegapunk, but 1000% the transmission will be interrupted just before some even larger reveal.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Bisse posted:

I think we will get more info from Vegapunk, but 1000% the transmission will be interrupted just before some even larger reveal.

"THE TWO PIECE! THE TWO PIECE IS RE-*GURK*"

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the second reveal gets interrupted by two 30 second ads for prime video and mcdonalds and no one gets to hear it

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Vermain posted:

the second reveal gets interrupted by two 30 second ads for prime video and mcdonalds and no one gets to hear it

Before I reveal my second sin, I'd like to tell you all about World D. Tanks. It is a brand new transponder snail game featuring...

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Am I forgetting some set up because this reveal doesn't feel super earth-shattering to me?

It's a solid enough reveal and all but from some of the reactions I wonder if i've just missed something about how this ties things together.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

until recently theres never been any direct mention of sea level rise, and that mention was only after an entire island was disappeared so everyone assumed it was some amount of mass redistributing. the reason why the sea would be rising, by how much, whether it could be prevented, or how to mitigate its effects are now the burning questions. its likely related to the fact that there are far fewer moons in the sky than there once were, which i imagine are also part of why phenomenon like the grand line and calm belt exist around the equator

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
It's another of those "Everything falls into place" for example Hey so why do the Celestial Dragons all wear loving bubble helmets? Why does the sea reject Devil Fruits? Hey so how did the 20 countries join with Imu in the first place? Was it joining with Imu? or was it "We'll bend the knee please don't loving kill us"? Why does Impel Down have boarded up windows in the water? How did those walls erected in Wano get there?

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Before I reveal my second sin, I'd like to tell you all about World D. Tanks. It is a brand new transponder snail game featuring...

I'll reveal the history of the void century in a moment, but first, do you know what else is shrouded in mystery? Every single hero in Ray D. Shadow Legends! For a limited time only, enter the code VGPunk, and you can play as, I don't know, Carrot or Banksy or something.

Desumaytah fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Apr 27, 2024

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Onmi posted:

It's another of those "Everything falls into place" for example Hey so why do the Celestial Dragons all wear loving bubble helmets? Why does the sea reject Devil Fruits? Hey so how did the 20 countries join with Imu in the first place? Was it joining with Imu? or was it "We'll bend the knee please don't loving kill us"? Why does Impel Down have boarded up windows in the water? How did those walls erected in Wano get there?

Yeah this, i initially felt very whelmed by the reveal but it’s one of those things that make you think “wait, if we JUST had the world’s water level noticeably rise because a country was obliterated…did something like that happen to start the flooding to begin with?” and a lot of other questions like Onmi noted.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
The worlds gonna flood and I (re)invented the machine to do it with. Oh, I also handed the keys to the instigators but I’m dead now, so not my problem. Well, good luck!

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Onmi posted:

Why does Impel Down have boarded up windows in the water?
Where is this shown??

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I love you Oda

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Impel Down used to be called Impel Up :eek:

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Am I forgetting some set up because this reveal doesn't feel super earth-shattering to me?

It's a solid enough reveal and all but from some of the reactions I wonder if i've just missed something about how this ties things together.

The fact that it fits everything we've seen isn't what's earth-shattering. The fact that Vegapunk just announced that the world is ending is the earth-shattering part. It is a sudden, shocking announcement that the entire world is in danger. We had no idea that there even was a global crisis until this announcement. That is the :bignews:

But what's really getting everyone is that this unexpected out-of-left-field announcement actually fits with so many odd things about the manga. It is both completely unexpected and world changing, and incredibly well foreshadowed. It's a sudden unpredictable shift that actually explains a whole lot about the world. That's an impressive feat.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

talking about who will be the final boss, assuming (solely on the fact that his flag has three skulls and assuming that his absorption technique isnt the power of a first, undisclosed fruit) blackbeard can absorb another power who do you reckon it'll be? imu? luffy? why am I spoiler tagging this

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Eiba posted:

The fact that it fits everything we've seen isn't what's earth-shattering. The fact that Vegapunk just announced that the world is ending is the earth-shattering part. It is a sudden, shocking announcement that the entire world is in danger. We had no idea that there even was a global crisis until this announcement. That is the :bignews:

But what's really getting everyone is that this unexpected out-of-left-field announcement actually fits with so many odd things about the manga. It is both completely unexpected and world changing, and incredibly well foreshadowed. It's a sudden unpredictable shift that actually explains a whole lot about the world. That's an impressive feat.

WHY WILL LUFFY DESTROY FISHMAN ISLAND?!

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Onmi posted:

WHY WILL LUFFY DESTROY FISHMAN ISLAND?!

fishman island is the giant plug that makes oceans rise :tinfoil:

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Im in the same boat as you... this was kind of expected with the CDs living on top of the world and knowing theres at least one way to raise the sea level already. Its nice confirmation but im not exactly pogging, thatll be next chapter when we start getting the hows.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Cat Machine posted:

I love you Oda

I remember noticing that and thinking it made little sense but weote it off as just a quirk of Oda doing whatever he thinks is cool, like how villains have basically random sizes depending on the moment. Basically wrote off all of Impel Downs design as ’makes no sense at all but looks cool I guess’. Never been happier to be wrong.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
another neat thing is that OldShandora is underneath NewShandora's society. it's something that threw me when reading Skypeia because of all the insane movement of that land, but the Shandora that's populated in the story lives on top of the one that defended the poneglyph

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I always figured the sea level rising was connected to pluton, given that pluton is somewhere in the underwater portion of wano and wano seems to be generating infinite amounts of water from its waterfalls.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
lmao just saw someone point out that Rayleigh decided to start a ship coating business after learning the history of the world. Respect the hustle

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Bisse posted:

I remember noticing that and thinking it made little sense but weote it off as just a quirk of Oda doing whatever he thinks is cool, like how villains have basically random sizes depending on the moment. Basically wrote off all of Impel Downs design as ’makes no sense at all but looks cool I guess’. Never been happier to be wrong.

What are ya'll noticing about it? Just that sea kings big, or that the whole prison is submerged?

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

CatstropheWaitress posted:

What are ya'll noticing about it? Just that sea kings big, or that the whole prison is submerged?

The building has windows even though most of it is unda da sea

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Star Platinum posted:

lmao just saw someone point out that Rayleigh decided to start a ship coating business after learning the history of the world. Respect the hustle
That got an actual laugh out of me. It checks out. That was a pretty random career to take otherwise.

CatstropheWaitress posted:

It has boarded up windows. Why would you make your underwater prison with window holes and then board them up? For that matter why does it have crenellations and poo poo? Most of the architecture doesn't make sense for an underwater structure. It can be written off as just for the sake of looking cool, but now we can guess that it's a very old building and wasn't always underwater.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
there is certainly going to be some reveal that contextualizes the weird names of some of these structures like Impel Down or Enies Lobby

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

That's fine. I guess you're just losers then.

Someone just took a tower and put it in the sea. No big deal. If they didn’t board up the windows, it would have flooded. Luffy kicked a giant tower at the worm elder just now. Same thing.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Nah, see. Impel Down is holding the surface of the ocean up, every time they add a new floor the sea level rises.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Cat Machine posted:

and the Aqua Laguna too...... ODA'S PLAN

Long Ring Island 100% used to be above water.

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
There's even a Poneglyph in Impel Down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool