Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
They still need to make Films Blue, Yellow and Green, so of course One Piece can't end yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

I didn't know anything about Ado in the first place, but the songs and music videos released as part of the build up to the Film Red movie have been great.

Plus I think it's awesome to see my man Taniguchi going back to work on One Piece after over 20 years and especially getting a project with an actual budget. It's worth being aware that it's a fairly different type of One Piece movie though...which I'd consider a good thing, even if opinions may vary depending on your interests.

It's also curious how the "filler" episodes were meant to serve as a tie-in for Film Red, but due to the Toei hack causing broadcasting delays, most people in Japan went to see the movie without them.

wielder fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Aug 24, 2022

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

I thought Film Red was a fun time and pretty unusual for a One Piece movie in a few interesting ways, despite using a couple of common tropes near the end. Great music, too.

Storywise, it's much more of a character drama piece than the last couple of movies and for me that was alright. In turn, it's not really a battle-oriented movie (except for the mandatory final confrontation). Those looking for 1v1 duels will likely be disappointed. However, I would still recommend it to people who like seeing big team-ups and collaborations, especially those which are extremely unlikely to happen in the original manga or anime anytime soon. In this sense, the last battle does have a unique "dream team" feel and there's joy to be found in that.

Even so, Film Red has noticeably less of an "all-star" ensemble cast than Stampede. If anything, the musical performances were more of the main attraction for the majority of the movie this time around. They did some neat animated choreography for those singing sequences. For instance..."Backlight" was especially on fire, although perhaps a little on the short side.

I also thought the interactions between Luffy, Uta and Shanks were all solid. We're not likely to see Shanks being more active than this in years, so that was appreciated.

EDIT: Oh, look at the exact time I'm posting this. I'll go read the latest chapter now, lol.

wielder fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Nov 4, 2022

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Bleck posted:

Film Red kinda sucked and tbh was maybe even a little misogynist?

Aside from liking or disliking the movie...not sure why you'd call it "misogynist". Certainly not more so than regular One Piece at least.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Bleck posted:

Film Red spoilers;

Uta's powers and almost the entirety of the plot are a contrivance to make it so Luffy doesn't have to punch a pretty girl in the face, and also Uta's whole character arc is arguably basically just "women are so emotional am I right fellas."

e: VVV good idea.

Film Red:

Luffy punching people, even women, to solve their problems would be expected. See: Vivi, for instance (not sure how I feel about that one in terms of misogynism).

I felt they wanted to subvert that expectation a little bit here. His hesitation, in my view, isn't about gender. It's more about : a) Uta not asking/demanding to be "saved" per se. b) Luffy not wanting to fall for Uta provoking him into a fight.

I think that's giving Uta's arc too little nuance. Aside from her internal motivations (ie: trauma from Shanks leaving her behind, guilt over the "truth" of the destruction, responsibility due to the voices of her fans demanding salvation), there were at least two additional factors that influenced her, which aren't gender-specific at all (the sleepless mushrooms are literally said to cause loss of emotional control by Sanji, and whatever can be attributed to the power of Tot Musica itself and/or the devil fruit since they seem linked).

wielder fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Nov 4, 2022

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Silver2195 posted:

Didn’t CP0 murder X Drake despite knowing he was a member of SWORD? It doesn’t make much sense for them to be buddies after that (though like many shonen anime movies I guess this isn’t really trying to fit into the timeline anyway).

Film-related, but not really a spoiler about it:

I didn't treat the movie scene as them all being "buddies" though...more like professional rivals, yet they still needed to cooperate grudgingly in this very specific context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

i am tim! posted:

Still, I wouldn't bring a non-One Piece fan to see this movie. There's so much going on that you would need a degree in One Piece-ology to understand, not just in terms of "Who are all of these people?" but also central world concepts, like Devil Fruits and Transponder Snails as Mass Communication. I think they tried to do a thing where they gloss over it so quickly they hope people don't think to hard about it, but the newbie among us did ask "What was up with the snails?" after the movie.

I think you could get away with reading (or watching the equivalent of) the first couple of volumes, simply to get a better sense of the setting and basic character traits.

You still wouldn't recognize like over half the cast in the movie, but you can more or less figure out their roles in context.