Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Funky Valentine posted:

Why are they kids. Vegapunk what are you doing.

I'm starting to think this Vegapunk guy is not very nice.

That, or so utterly detached and amoral he doesn't give any consideration as to the ethics of what he's doing so as long as it is FOR SCIENCE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

davidHalestorm posted:

And remember, those kids from Punk Hazards are meant to be taken to Vegapunk, right? Now, what's gonna happened to them? They could've got rid of Tashigi and Smoker

Ohhhhhh shiiiiiiit. :stare:

That chapter's gonna be depressing in retrospect, isn't it? From the frying pan into the fryer... :smith:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

MonsterEnvy posted:

This is a cute thing someone made relating to the new chapter

Now I'm imagining a situation where Blackbeard encounters Seraphim Blackbeard.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Paper Lion posted:

i dont think the yami yami fruit is anything else, but if it were it would probably be the moon fruit. its intersting going back to the picture of blackbeard as a kid because 2 things are prominent about him: his terrible emotional state, and the giant crescent moon put next to him. with luffy as our sun god bringing a romance dawn to the world, blackbeard as his moon foil makes sense.

I'm looking forward to Blackbeard to stealing Big Mom's fruit so he can live up to the legend of the real-life Blackbeard manipulating souls.

E: and also a plausible excuse for setting his beard on fire to scare his enemies

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Sep 15, 2022

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Well, that was certainly horrifying. :stonk:

I'm also thinking that whatever that was was indeed an Ancient Weapon, probably a UFO. Maybe the hieroglyphics Enel was looking at on the moon was a blueprint for said UFO weapon?

Also, I like the theory that Im is basically keeping the Five Elders (and by extension, the World Government) hostage. This is a wild guess, but what if Im is some kind of primordial eldritch abomination or alien that came to Earth thousands of years ago and secretly enslaved the planet?

The whole thing just gives me vibes of secret government conspiracies hiding the existence of aliens and poo poo. :tinfoil:

E: I think the Poneglyphs were specifically designed to withstand this sort of laser beam attack so that, even if the entire civilization died, the history could be kept as a failsafe which is... still pretty grim.

Could the Void Century be just an entire century of Im literally going scorched earth on the whole planet just to make sure nothing was left of those original people? Burning and salting the fields, in a sense. Whenever we do find out the truth of what happened during the Void Century, it'll likely be something absolutely horrifying, like constant mass genocide.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Sep 16, 2022

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

tbp posted:

honestly makes sense that we get thrust right into vegapunk. there are startlingly few characters left on the planet that wouldn't react with absurd deference to luffy given his status at this point, but one piece is best told when our cast are outsiders and not constantly in the ascendency. this also would make elbaf and the giants work i think

First of all, holy poo poo it's Vegapunk (or a clone)!

Second, although I was expecting Elbaf after Wano, seeing Vegapunk now makes sense since we are heading into the endgame now with Shanks and Blackbeard I.e. Haki vs Devil Fruits. Luffy also just recently tapped into the fullest potential of his Devil Fruit, so now would be a good time to unpack the mysteries of what makes Devil Fruits work the way they do.

More predictions:

Vegapunk will give a lecture on how Devil Fruits/Lineage Factor etc work and Luffy will fall asleep. Luffy will then wake up to ask Vegapunk if he/she poops and Vegapunk gladly gives a full survey of how pooping works, enthralling Luffy's attention.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 22, 2022

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Panic Restaurant posted:

Holy poo poo

Also Vegapunk is trans, her island’s even shaped like a giant cracked egg

Pardon my ignorance, but are cracked eggs a symbol of transgender identity? :confused:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Fecha posted:

egg is slang for someone who doesn’t know/admit they’re trans yet

Thanks for the clarification.

For some reason, I've got it in my head that Vegapunk will turn out to be like that House Telvanni wizard in Morrowind who cloned himself as several female daughters he keeps as concubines.

E:

Scholtz posted:

If anyone wants to pore over these for details, here are all of the pages of Franky in eating crabs in Maryland at Dr. Vegapunk's lab in Baldimore

I only glanced at them while grabbing these but of note is Taroimo, the robot dog, also has a number: 28.

Another fun fact: Taroimo and I share a birthday. :kiddo:

e: Oh there's also this cover story of Franky being chased by a bunch of numbered cyborgs

It's blowing my mind that we are finally getting pay-off to events set up around 500 chapters ago (even longer if you figure in Thriller Bark).

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Sep 23, 2022

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Yeah, I'm pretry sure Atlas is a gender-flipped Astro Boy as an homage to Tezuka and the giant robot is Gigantor. :allears:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Is the manga on break this week?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I think using Haki to nullify Devil Fruit abilities is new information, correct? Before we only knew that Blackbeard's Darkness fruit powers could nullify other Devil Fruits. This explains a lot in terms of Roger conquering the seas through Haki alone and Kaido's "Haki conquers all" speech during his battle with Luffy.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

I love Brook's stupid puns. :allears:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Even with the cleaned up pictures, the flow of action in the Blackbeard/Law fight is still rather confusing and hard to follow.

Also, I'm guessing Vegapunk-01's helmet is an homage to Daft Punk?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Some spoilers for the new chapter are out already and I highly recommend trying to avoid them if you can. There's a pretty big bombshell about to drop. :aaaaa:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

MorningMoon posted:

"avoid spoilers, they're crazy this week"
duh, i have pattern recognition, i know one piece is good every week

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Desumaytah posted:

I now want even more Buggy, immediately.

Seraphim Buggy when?

E: now I'm imagining somebody taking pictures of Seraphim Buggy and spreading the news like "Wow, no wonder Buggy is a Yonkou! He's insanely powerful!"

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Funky Valentine posted:

"I am Doctor Vegapunk, the world's greatest scientist. I built a robot body that eats and shits for me so I don't have to."

Chapter:
Still waiting for Luffy to be there to ask "Do you poop?"

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Nov 4, 2022

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Cloks posted:

manga spoiler

why are you hiding the letter "P", Oda?

What if it's not "PUNK RECORDS" but rather "SPELUNK RECORDS", as in, these are the records of ancient-futuristic technology uncovered so far and Vegapunk is not so much a scientist as much as he is a secret archeologist which also coincidentally dovetails with the Revolutionaries' aims of attacks on the World Government for their past crimes against humanity?

This would explain a lot as to why the Revolutionaries were so keen on training Robin during the time skip since she and Vegapunk would have a lot more in common than we thought.

People have been saying this arc will be a bonding moment between Vegapunk and Franky, but now I'm thinking it will be just as significant for Robin as well.

E:

Also, I remember Oda once saying in SBS that Blackbeard would have been a historian if he had gone legit, so I'm sure Blackbeard is tied up in this historical/archeological business too somehow.

Oh yeah. It's all coming together now.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 4, 2022

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Dear God am I ever craving next week's issue already... :f5:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Excelzior posted:

CH Dying offscreen is not ~hardboiled~, so Señor Pink is not dead

CH I think this was another artificial Devil Fruit re-creation by Vegapunk in the same way Momo ate the re-creation of Kaido's devil fruit.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Waffleman_ posted:

Red I like that Sabo being a fugitive at this point in the series kept him from cameoing in a third loving movie in a row.

(Not really spoilers, but still)
Speaking of Sabo, where does he rank on popularity pills relative to Ace? It could explain a lot about boosting his popularity as pseudo-Ace

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
[snipped until further confirmation]

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Nov 9, 2022

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
For some reason, I was able to see One Piece Stampede in theaters here (China), but still no word on if One Piece Film Red will get a release here. :negative:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
One of my favorite things to look forward to is seeing everyone's reaction to the new chapter. Well, besides reading the chapter myself, of course.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Does anyone know when the chapter Dr. Vegapunk first gets name-dropped was originally released? It just blows my mind how like it's taken a decade or two, but the reveal is finally here.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Scholtz posted:

Turns out that cutting your brain into several pieces? Not great for your health.

I wonder what the little apple top on his head does? Maybe it's a radar to stay in contact with his robot clones?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Can't read Poneglyphs? Better Call Saul

This would be :discourse: thread title after we get to Elbaf.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

anime was right posted:

lmao

honestly it feels like the WG... should have checked the loving lake.idk. man thats convenient

Click to find out one neat trick for hiding archeological knowledge! The World Government hates it!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Begemot posted:

I don't remember any of them loo- ohhhhhhhh

Is he the secret leader of the space pirates? Is Enel going to come down and attack the island as part of an ongoing feud??? :tinfoil:

Source? I never noticed that before. :aaaaa:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Eiba posted:

One of the best panels in the whole drat manga.

Oda has always been really great at depicting messy crying faces, and this is one of his best. It really captures a mix of conflicting emotions, both of pain and happiness. It's great.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Here is a crazy thought: what if the last Road Poneglyph is on the moon? Someone said a while ago that you'd only need 3 Road Poneglyphs for the coordinates, but what if you needed a fourth one to account for three-dimensional space?

If this all somehow ends up with the Strawhats going to the moon and meeting up with Enel again, I'm gonna flip.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

MorningMoon posted:

Whole Cake Island is so good, what a depiction of abusive families, Sanji gets so much character and Brook is so loving cool facing Big Mom.

No kidding. Having lived through a similarly abusive family situation growing up, I shed more than a few tears seeing Sanji's situation and feeling catharsis seeing Sanji standing on the table, literally above his abusive dad. The symbolism was heavy for me.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I love the little mask on Lucci's pigeon. :allears:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

but was it really removed?

After this chapter, I think it got swapped out with a link to Vegapunk's consciousness since Kuma responded to the call-to-arms in the same way that the other Vegapunk clones did. I'm assuming Kuma's consciousness is being stored somewhere else in a secure location.

Also, the whole bit about Kaido's Lineage Factor being turned into a slightly imperfect Devil Fruit makes me think that Devil Fruits are spawned out of a person's DNA and that making things like Funkfreed basically involves DNA splicing, but using different terminology to describe the same process since most people in One Piece can't understand the process the way we do in our reality in 2022.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Cloks posted:

Official translation is out.

Luffy put the beetle on his hat.

The future pirate king right here.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Real Cool Catfish posted:

So do all awakened zoan fruit users get a super cool outfit built into their fruit.

Not that I’m complaining.

What does this mean for Chopper, then? Is his Monster Point not his Awakened form like people have speculated?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I honestly don't mind Luffy freely switching in and out of Gear Fifth if it means more Looney Tunes antics and visual gags. :allears:

I'm intensely looking forward to Gear Fifth Luffy giving Akainu an exploding cigar and his head bursts from anger as a literal volcano.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Nice seeing other high up baddies talk about Luffy in hushed terms. That they shouldn't even fight him because of the political status he's at is neat.

:same:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Once One Piece is nearing its conclusion or after its finished, I'd love for a color glossy paperbound book of the complete Devil Fruit encyclopedia with each page being dedicated to a different Devil Fruit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

When this part gets animated, I hope it's accompanied with a cartoon "AWOOGAH!" sound effect. :allears: