Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I have to admit, in spite of them being heavily implied to have just nuked a whole island and being the secret world ruler, seeing Imu just hanging out in their garden playing with butterflies is oddly cute.

The utter dissonance is a really cool way to establish some characterisation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Excelzior posted:

Lucci is exactly the type of villain who will keep coming at Luffy forever because Luffy will never actually kill him, but he (Lucci) only needs to win once...

I don't think Luffy would really care about killing him. He tried to punch him into the ocean in their previous fight. Lucci just got lucky there was a ship nearby.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

The better scans make it clearer that Shanks is being hugged by a man and a woman swooning over him at the end there like a true bi king.

I suspect we're going to see both Law and Kidd lose and end up joining the Strawhat alliance right before the final arc, along with Bonney maybe.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

CharlestonJew posted:

That's how I read it. Kidd put his all into a long range attack as an opening volley and didn't expect Shanks to jump halfway across the ocean and "nothin' personnel, kidd" him, so he didn't have the time to properly defend himself

Same, also it's probably really hard to dodge anything with a gigantic railgun for an arm. It was the worst possible moment for Kidd to get attacked.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

I just want to know what happens when he gets knocked out or just says "gently caress it I'm not an island anymore"

You can see him in his regular body in the scene where Koby is talking to Blackbeard so yeah I'd guess he just merges with the island but in some way that gets around being paralyzed by the ocean.

I wonder who's gonna end up fighting him. It can't be Zoro again. Assuming Garp doesn't just decimate everyone and gently caress off I guess.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Devil Fruit users are fine up to like knee height in water so the bottom of the island is basically just his knees

Islands go down to the bottom of the ocean. They don't float or anything. So he has to only be merging with a portion of it I think.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

DeadBonesBrook posted:

So this chapter confirms that all of Blackbeard's main crew are fruit users, as Vasco & Pizarro were unknown before (technically, we don't know the details of Lafitte's fruit, but he did randomly sprout wings so it's safe to assume he has one. I'm betting that they are all defeated by drowning in the end, as that hasn't happened to any DF user that I'm aware of in canon.

Luffy solos the Blackbeard crew by pulling the ground out under them, waiting for them to notice and fall into the ocean like they're Wile E Coyote.

Also we all thought Zoro would fight Shiryu but now he has to fight the Booze guy.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 6, 2023

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

Kuzan is pretty mysterious. His joining the Blackbeard Pirates seems to have been specifically Blackbeard's idea, which makes it less likely that Kuzan was specifically trying to infiltrate them. What he said to Garp, along with his general depressed vibes this chapter, makes me think he might actually want Garp to kill him now.

I definitely got the vibes that Kuzan set it up that they'd run into each other. He was acting way out of character and the fact that he fought the BB pirates and then waited for Teach to get there too is way too suspicious. I'm convinced that he's a plant now. Calling it a 'bad look' if Koby escapes suggests he's interested in keeping his cover over actually helping.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

hatty posted:

what could his end goal be? Could he be trying to fool Imu or something?

Figure out how the gently caress he's stealing devil fruits and stop him from getting the One Piece?

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Ubiquitus posted:

It’s actually kinda crazy the marines let kuzan walk away. Why not kill him and be done with another threat?

He's definitely a deep-cover agent and his and Akainu's fight was just to sell the lie that he's left the marines.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

And by the time Croc decides to fight the Marines, Whitebeard's already pretty much half-dead and Ace is dead, the Marines have pretty much got this war in the bag. Croc doesn't like Luffy, but he doesn't want the Marines to keep getting Ws in the war. So he decides to help Luffy escape as a gently caress you to the Marines.

Croc helps out before that. He saves Ace from being executed at one point. IIRC that's the point where he says "Whitebeard can wait, gently caress the Marines".

Another explanation for Crocs actions that I've seen is that Luffy helped rekindle his ambition and made him want to fight for something else again. But personally, I'm all in on Crocomom because it's the funniest explanation.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

mabels big day posted:

Ok i was definitely convinced Lili was gonna be Imu but this is fine too I guess.

I still think it might be Lili's body at least. Imu's face and hair looks distinctly feminine in one panel right after Sabo shows up. Also Imu does have a habit of talking about themselves in the third person which leaves room for some ambiguity.

Silver2195 posted:

My assumption when I read it was that shadow constructs were all produced by Imu's Devil Fruit and the Five Elder Stars were just sort of standing there off-panel. But now that I think about it, I guess it makes more sense if they all transformed. I guess the obscured-by-shadow thing represents Sabo not getting a good look at them, rather than them being literal shadow-blobs.

I thought that the monsters were just Imu's power too but the fact that there are 5 of them does suggest a link to the Five Elders. They have to be somewhat independent enough to be shocked at Imu walking out in front of Cobra though.

It could just be that the Elder Stars are all zoans and Oda wants to obscure their abilities too I guess. In fact, I think you can see some awakened zoan clouds around a few of them.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 31, 2023

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Something I haven't seen anyone talk about is who ordered the CP agents to kidnap Vivi. Does anyone think this is meant to be a mystery or is it likely just Imu? They grabbed Vivi's picture before so I think it makes sense that they'd order this even before Cobra's meeting.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Looking forward to Mars showing us the limitless destructive power of the donkey.

Also maybe Mercury has the woman-woman fruit?

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

MorningMoon posted:

But is Kaido more of a Hakiman or a Clubman? are Clubman under the same classification as Swordsmen and thus weaker than Midhawk?

I think he's a Hakiman. I was thinking about this the other day because Big Mom uses a sword and would most likely kick Mihawks butt so shouldn't she or Shanks be the strongest swordsman? But I think the idea of being a "swordsman" is that you're actually using skill and technique to fight rather than just smashing everything with haki.*

*but really Mihawk and Zoro also kind of just do this lol

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Lord_Magmar posted:

Mihawk considers Shanks minus his dominant hand to no longer be a worthy rival. Assuming he cannot fight Emperors in a 1 on 1 Greates Swordsman challenge seems, ill-advised. Remember that Emperor status is about territory, not strictly combat prowess, and Mihawk holds zero territory regardless of his personal strength. He also isn't interested in fighting the Emperors and their Forces, but he clearly is somewhere on their level. The Marines were scared of Mihawk going solo the most, also the Mihawk Seraphim is clearly putting in a lot of work.

Mihawk also recently indicated that the idea of fighting Shanks, Blackbeard or Luffy is absurd. It's entirely possible that Mihawk doesn't want to fight Shanks because losing one arm diminishes his technique/skill, not that Shanks couldn't still beat him just through haki, speed and strength. Just like how Luffy or Garp could grab a sword and pound his face in with the pommel but wouldn't have defeated him as a swordsman.

It's possible that Mihawk is on par with Yonko's like Big Mom, Kaido, BB, Shanks and Luffy but he hasn't done anything that shows it so far imo.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 6, 2023

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

He hasn't but the sole purpose of the character is to be The World's Strongest Swordsman and Zoro's final challenge. I do think it's a storytelling failure that we haven't seen him actually demonstrate his abilities much but it wouldn't make any narrative sense if he's secretly weaker than foes Zoro has already defeated

Er, Zoro hasn't beaten Big Mom, Kaido or Shanks so I don't know what you mean by that. I think it makes sense for Zoro to become the World's Strongest Swordsman but still be solidly below Luffy and people in Luffy's weight class like those 3.

JuniperCake posted:

It's one thing to go 1 v 1 with a yonko in a duel. It's another to start a fight with a yonko plus all of their subordinates. Not just their own crew/commanders and the armadas but also aligned nations and everything else, like it's a lot. Even Shanks who has a notoriously weak armada, has a very powerful crew and is allies with the giants and potentially other strong nations as well.

So starting a fight with three different major military organizations all at once is going to be a hassle to put it lightly. And someone like Milhawk probably just doesn't want to bother with that. It doesn't mean that individually he's weaker than the yonko themselves.

It doesn't mean he's weaker than them, no. But for the same reason him not wanting to fight Shanks doesn't mean that he's stronger than him either. They're both equally ambiguous in what exactly they mean.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

I don't believe in the "Hakiman" thing. Big Mom may or may not have been able to win against Mihawk if both went all-out, but if she wasn't allowed to use her Devil Fruit power, Mihawk would definitely win. And in a fight between Mihawk and Shanks, Mihawk would win. I don't see any alternative that doesn't devalue Zoro's dream.

I don't think we can say that it's definite without seeing more from Mihawk. Currently, Big Mom has shown strength, speed, durability and haki beyond anything we've seen from Mihawk. That might well change but it also might not. I don't think Mihawk being weaker than the Yonko's devalues Zoro's dream. He wants to be the strongest swordsman, not strongest overall.

Scholtz posted:

IMO you're correct about this, even with Shanks at his prime.

Shanks is still in his prime. Like MonsterEnvy said, Oda has confirmed that Shanks has only gotten stronger, not weaker, since losing his arm. So it isn't that Mihawk doesn't want to fight him because he's diminished in strength. Shanks basically flashstepped from his ship, across his fleet and in front of Kid and took him and KIller out in one hit. Shanks might well be the strongest character in One Piece right now.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Luffy being a marine could only ever really last until he meets a Celestial Dragon. I honestly don't know how Garp has lasted as long as he has. I have to assume Sengoku just keeps him as far away from them as possible at all times. Or that Garp is a much shittier person than the story presents him as.

But really I doubt Luffy could get past Robin's backstory before turning on the WG. Luffy's personality is just incompatible with putting up with the WG's poo poo.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 12, 2023

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

tbp posted:

i think the story is pretty consistent with it's portrayal of Garp. he's a good guy in that his intentions are almost universally good, but he is a little bit of a coward in the face of the institutional evils he upholds. we learn a lot about garp during the marineford war - his personal morality is not strong enough for him to defy the status quo. he is instead half-in, half-out, defying orders when he can get away with it but executing them in other circumstances.

luffy represents a more actualized form of garp himself. if luffy thinks something is wrong he just won't do it, and he'd fight against the person who wants to do it. it's all pretty consistent with the "new generation surpassing the old" theme of the story. we're meant to like garp but see that he has failings that luffy's example can help rectify. i imagine in this last leg of the story we will pretty explicitly have a moment/mini-arc about this, where garp takes inspiration from luffy and changes his behavior accordingly

(fwiw this is also a theme outside of just those two. remember in the end of wano, when they thought luffy was dead, momo wanted to capitulate to kaido in an effort to save the lives of the samurai. he's mirroring garp's morality here. yamato, mirroring luffy, screams at him that it's way better to die standing up than to live under kaido's boot, and the story wants the reader to believe this is indeed the correct and good decision.)

Yeah, I can definitely see the intention behind Garps character and even if I judge him harshly for letting Ace die I can see why he would believe it's the right thing overall. But frankly, I have zero sympathy for anyone who knows what the Celestial Dragons are, could do something about it and chooses not to. If there's ever been a time where Garp stood by and let one of them enslave or torture someone without doing anything about it then gently caress him.

That's why Fujitora is so cool, dude straight-up tried to meteor strike them first chance he got and then let a bunch of slaves escape. All while maintaining his cover.

tbp posted:

do any of you think the gorosei referring to imu as the "creator of the world" is more than just linguistic flourish or a reference to their role in the ascendancy at the time of the war?

i sorta have a feeling that they have some literal responsibility in term of creating the actual world that the story takes place in

There's a theory about this, isn't there? That Imu or the World Government in general somehow literally created the grand line by pulling the mountains up that separates the oceans and that's why the worlds geography is so drat weird.

I can buy it, personally. It would explain why they'd be so worshipful of Imu if they literally shaped the world as we know it.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 17, 2023

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Punk Hazard will always be near the bottom of the rankings just because Zoro refusing to fight a woman is so antithetical to his backstory and I hate it. That arc and Dressrosa have an unfortunate element of misogyny with Tashigi getting berated so much for being weak and Rebeccas... entire existence.

The worst arc and most out-of-character one is probably Whiskey Peak. Luffy attacking Zoro is loving dumb.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 16, 2023

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Gyges posted:

Luffy fighting Zoro was out of character, but the comedy surrounding the reasoning and their anger at Mr. 5 and Ms Valentine's Day for interfering were funny enough to give it a pass. As that was the only bad thing in Whiskey Peak, it is a good and cool arc.

The second bad thing about Whiskey Peak is that it's forgettable enough that Luffy and Zoro fighting is the only thing I remember about it. I think Vivi was there so I guess it was probably an ok arc....

Julias posted:

It's also kind of early enough into the series where it doesn't feel too unbelievable of a setup based on what we know of the characters at that point. It's kind of like how in Alabasta Luffy would be horny a couple of times for Nami, but after the arc basically became an asexual person, having no lust for characters like Boa later on.

It's mostly dumb because Luffy is trying to kill Zoro just because he hurt some people who gave them food. It's ridiculously over the top and even at that point really out of character. He still trusted Nami after she literally betrayed and robbed them. WP is also after them breaking the cask which is the point they all become nakama.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Given that something earth-shaking is about to happen, I think everyone has been assuming that either Saturn or Kizaru are about to get merked to kick off the final act. But it would be cool if Kizaru actually switched sides to help Sentomaru and Vegapunk and thats what flips the script instead.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 15, 2023

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

JuniperCake posted:

Sometimes people have theories that are a bit of a stretch. It's very easy to see patterns even when there aren't any. It doesn't have to be some agenda or cope thing. Sometimes its just fun to come up with crazy theories.

Only reason I don't like that one in particular is I think it ruins Ivankov's character a bit to threaten to out Crocodile if it was the case. But the pieces for the theory are still there.

Ivankov turned a man into a woman to win a fight, they aren't above blackmailing Croc over this to break out of prison.

I like the Trans Crocodile theory and I think it fits the situation the best for that to be what Ivankov was referencing. I don't see anything else that would really fit tbh. Crocodile tried to genocide a kingdom, he ain't gonna be ashamed over anything that isn't deeply personal imo. Crocodile having some personal hang-ups over gender would also explain why he made Baroque Works so explicitly gendered.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 24, 2023

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

I wonder if Kuina's story would be different these days.

I feel like One Piece still has a weird stance on women even today. Tashigi was dramatically weaker than Zoro last time we saw her. Logically gender shouldn't really matter when Luffy can punch out a giant without haki, size is clearly irrelevant to strength in One Piece. But I don't feel that Oda has outright contradicted the stance that a normal woman can't be just as strong as a man. Big Mom is clearly an exception.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Saturn looks exactly the same 40 years ago as he does now, these fuckers are absolutely immortal or some kinda actual demons.

Cat Machine posted:

Yeah I don’t think Luffy has kept thinking about any antagonist beyond the point where he punched their lights out. The easiest resolution to the Celestials problem will be for them to be sent to the same mental pocket universe where Arlong, Kuro, Krieg and Hody Jones are hanging out

The Celestials are too destructive and institutionalized to just get beat up and forgotten. There is no way the series ends with them still holding power in any way. It's just a question of whether they get wiped out by pirates, the marines, a slave rebellion, the revolutionaries or Imu on-screen, or if they lose power and Oda cuts away from them right before they're torn apart by [insert group here]. They're currently being starved out by the Revolutionaries and pissing off Akainu so their plot is slowly escalating to some kind of breaking point I think.

tbp posted:

we say "presumably" for kaido and big mom which is fair and all but does anyone like, actually think they're dead? big mom was screaming about not dying as she fell down into the abyss, there's no chance they don't come back in some fashion or form i think

I do. They have too much power, influence and narrative weight to be left as loose ends imo. Also they're both so monstrous that I would just like them to actually be dead.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Honestly shocked that second comic has never happened in the actual manga

Calling it: That's going to be the big move in the final fight Robin and Franky vs some Blackbeard jackasses.

Franky will be so moved he'll cry (harder than usual).

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

YggdrasilTM posted:

Blackbeard crew themes are "the most boring fruit possible to each person" and "blatant copy of an already seen fruit".

Yeah, it feels very appropriate that on the one hand you have the Strawhat Crew being a mix of odd abilities, haki users and fighters with devil fruits that need a lot of skill and work to make strong vs the Blackbeard Pirates being a full crew of people with devil fruits that just enhance their already existing strengths or are just very straight-forwardly strong without having to try.

Just like how Blackbeard waited decades to do anything before he found the "strongest" fruit instead of spending that time taking something less immediately strong and making it work like Luffy did. It's very thematic that Luffy's rival would rely on brute force and shortcuts vs effort and skill. I'm not sure if BB has ever displayed Haki, it would be a neat detail if he just doesn't have the willpower needed for it and that's why he needed the Darkness fruit so much.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Nov 6, 2023

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

U-DO Burger posted:

I guess Bonney being part-CD is why Blackbeard thought he'd be able to trade her for a ship, huh

You'd get a lot more for a CD, but more likely you'd get dead. If he knew he'd probably have just left her alone, not worth the hassle.

Also hopefully if he'd of known he wouldn't have asked her to be his "woman".

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

i dont remember this

They lose Chopper in the 1st match but win the second match. Instead of just getting Chopper back she suggests asking for Foxy so that he automatically loses the 3rd match against Luffy and they get Chopper back anyway.

Everyone is horrified because thats completely against the spirit of the game and besides, Luffy doesn't want Foxy on his crew!

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

When the Gorosei are first talking about the Nika fruit they say even they consider it a legend:

So I guess it had just been so long that even they had forgotten the true importance of the fruit until Luffy awakened it. Given how hard the Gomu Gomu no mi is to use in the first place, possibly there were centuries of nobody ever achieving anything notable with it until Luffy came along.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Dec 9, 2023

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Off topic of anything but I can’t think of a reason that Zoro and Mihawk ever fight in the manga until after everything else is resolved and they just go “okay now to duel to the death”.

Buggy's going for the One Piece, remember? There'll be a 3-way Davy Back fight between Luffy, Shanks and Buggy for it where Zoro and Mihawk can square off with each other.

Blackbeard isn't invited because his taste in pie sucks!

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 11, 2023

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

The way Saturn regenerated makes me more convinced of the theory that the 5 Elders are ink monsters/demons created by Imu. The Schloop sound effect could be for ink and the way his hand and horn form in odd hollow sections make it seem like his body isn't completely real.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jan 19, 2024

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

huh, I guess this explains why the Celestial Dragons largely live up on top of a giant mountain. It explains a lot in general about the world of One Piece, and probably ties in neatly with the old world left behind. Also very, very interested in what phenomena is occurring to make the world loving flood.

The sea levels rose when Imu destroyed Lulusia, but iirc Vegapunk only recently created the Mother Flame that they used to do that and all evidence seems to indicate that this is something thats been happening for a long time.

It feels like too much of a coincidence for it to be unrelated though, perhaps the Mother Flame only allowed them to speed up the process of destroying landmasses to rise the sea levels.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Flubby posted:

Are Fishmen humans that adapted to the ever rising sea? Is this Waterworld? Probably not, but they sure will benefit. Lots of free underwater cities coming their way.

Makes sense that the WG would want to persecute them. If the Fishmen had expanded they'd be set up to take over the planet in the future.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I do wonder if this could backfire if the WG tries to shift the blame on the Fishmen somehow. "Yes the world is sinking, clearly this was an evil Fishman plot all along and peace is now totally impossible, lets go blow up Fishman Island and enslave them all and forget the fact that we're living right on top of what will probably be the only livable piece of land left in a few years!"

Depends on how far down that hole where Lulusia used to be goes I guess.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I feel like Lilith is going to end up as the only Vegapunk to survive because a) Oda will never turn down the chance to draw a hot woman and b) Having the "evil" Vegapunk be the only one left is a parallel to the good one dying first and the way that the pirates are the ones on the sides of real justice vs the marines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Yeah, I think they're just useful idiots for the World Government to let them take the fall for the world's collective anger to distract them from finding out about the Void Century which coincidentally is now starting to fall apart.

I agree, the Celestial Dragons main purpose seems to be acting as a smokescreen to distract from who's actually in charge while also establishing "legitimacy" as the public-facing living gods of the World Government without risking anyone really important.

I also think it would be super interesting if they were in the dark about all of this. They're already rioting over the lack of food and slaves and they are unbelievably stupid and entitled, so if Vegapunk wraps up his history lesson by saying "and then the Celestial Dragons were set up as useless patsies for the real rulers" they might actually fully flip out and try to rebel. Which would be a hilarious twist.