Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Bold of you to think that One Piece will even be over when the manga is (I wouldn’t be surprised if they decided to start a Boruto/Yashahime style sequel series later about a new generation of pirates)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

Oda deserves a rest. Let him run an anthology series where he occasionally drops in for some chapters while other authors do stuff in the same world or the same characters (i wanna see a series about the ramen CM straw hats) and possibly in canon

I never said Oda himself would be doing said continuation to be fair, just that it’s probably going to happen at some point with or without him

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, how long do they plan to keep this filler arc in the anime going? The young Uta/Luffy episodes are done but now they seem to be moving on to a story about Shanks and Koby

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

Wait, is the idea that Shanks and Coby interacted at some point before the split second when Shanks blocked Akainu's attack, or after? Because I'm not sure when they could have meaningfully interacted beyond that one moment.

Anyway, I do like the way the filler arc gets pre-Gum Gum Luffy's characterization right. He had some similar traits to his current self (wanting to go on adventures, mostly), but he was a self-serious macho brat back then. Having a flashback like this now, after the Nika reveal in the manga and I guess shortly before it in the anime, calls attention (perhaps unintentionally) to a rather disturbing ambiguity: how much of Luffy's change in attitude was due to Shanks' good example, and how much was the Devil Fruit affecting his personality?

Also, it just occurred to be that the Uta backstory explains why Luffy was so obsessed with recruiting a musician.

The episode doesn’t air until this weekend so no idea, I’m just going by what I saw in the preview (though it appears to be another flashback at any rate since the latter looks a bit younger)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Eggplant Squire posted:

Did Vivi's partner actually die, I can't remember

If you mean Carue he was at the Reverie last we saw so hopefully he’s wherever Vivi is currently

If you’re talking about her partner from Baroque Works then no idea (I forget how he went out and if he ever showed up again)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Apparently the Netflix One Piece adaptation will only be 8 episodes (for now anyway), I believe each one is supposed to be about 40+ minutes long though:

https://twitter.com/OnePieceNxBr/status/1558133113338961920

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Scholtz posted:

I wonder if Luffy is the only devil fruit user to (technically) not lose the ability to swim after eating the fruit.

Since when could Luffy swim?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Scholtz posted:

Honestly I'm mainly worried about how much body horror the Gum Gum stuff will be

Has any live action production ever done stretchy limbs well for that matter?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject I watched Film Red recently (there’s a subbed camrip floating around online), it was probably one of the better recent One Piece movies overall and most of the major cameos here felt more natural than they did in the last one at least

One question though for others that have watched it, not sure if I missed something or not but was the Sleepless Mushroom that drove Uta insane established earlier in the movie? I don’t remember it being shown prior to Sanji mentioning that she ate it?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Film Red hits the US next month it would seem:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2022-09-04/one-piece-film-red-opens-in-u.s-in-october/.189328

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I wonder how the Celestial Dragons factor into all this as well (they’re completely above most laws and are basically treated like gods)

I also wouldn’t be surprised if it turned out that the WG itself is illegitimate and are essentially the descendants of invaders (they seem pretty scared about anyone trying to learn the truth regarding the Void Century after all)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Sep 16, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

DeadBonesBrook posted:

I'm in the camp of Luffy's dream is to explore outer space, especially based on the reactions of the crew. It's also in the chapter where a spaceship (probably) appears. He's even looking up at the sky when he says it.

Coming 2034 - One Piece GT takes the franchise in a bold new direction!

Finally, Enel makes his grand return

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Alternatively, the male version we’ve heard/vaguely seen so far is the robot/clone and this is in fact the real Vegapunk

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Sep 23, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Edit: Nevermind

Larryb fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Sep 25, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I am excited to watch it in several months.

It’s apparently going to be out in the US next month (not sure if that applies to you however) but there’s also a subbed camrip floating around online currently if you’re impatient

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, how was the post timeskip OVA they made a while ago where Foxy came back out of curiosity?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fawf posted:

bad and boring, the davy back fight lasts like 10 minutes and for the rest of the time foxy is separated from his crew who are barely featured and nothing interesting happens

Ah, that sucks

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/LeeandLie/status/1578048310354489344?t=K3Y76FD1owjvfKNoJn64PA&s=19

Okay, this is probably pretty good casting

Also confirmation of dubbed songs, but AmaLee is probably the best person they could get.

Nice, has she ever done voice acting before out of curiosity?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Huh, I always assumed she was just a fan that did anime song covers. Neat

She’s also apparently been in the business since at least 2012:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AmaLee

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 6, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Arist posted:

Saw a preview trailer for the dub of Film Red, they do not appear to be dubbing the songs, fwiw

That’s kind of weird considering they got AmaLee to voice Uta

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

As I said, it does seem odd to hire someone famous for their music work to play Uta but not let them actually sing. We’ll see how it goes I guess

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Rumblings are that there's going to be an important announcement regarding the anime in a couple days.

Not really sure what that could possibly be aside from announcing another movie or saying that the anime’s going on hiatus for a while/being cancelled outright

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Arist posted:

Why would they cancel it

Exactly, I just can’t really think of anything worth teasing an announcement for regarding the anime (and it feels too soon to announce another movie)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

This is a break week right?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

bobjr posted:

Watch that theory that Dragon is also Robin's dad end up being true.

She does sort of bare a slight resemblance to Dragon and Luffy (I think it would match up with what little we’ve heard about her father as well).

Anyway good chapter, we finally meet the real Vegapunk and the crew now has a legitimate reason to go to Elbaf

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

When this part gets animated, I hope it's accompanied with a cartoon "AWOOGAH!" sound effect. :allears:

Speaking of, Gear 5 is getting close to making its (official) debut in the anime currently. I kind of hope they go full Tex Avery with it

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Was that also the case with her Japanese VA out of curiosity?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m still guessing Vivi and Carue will “join” back up before the end as well

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

anime was right posted:

jinbe in a sweatervest makes too much sense

Of course, he’s the team Dad after all

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 25, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget, is there a chapter this week?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

We got the scans a week early because they leaked early.

Ah ok, I already read that one then

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

No Wave posted:

Was this a birdcage chapter? If so yes I agree.

That’s the one, yes. The whole Birdcage part of Dressrosa itself was kind of tedious for that matter (even more so in the anime)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Libra posted:

How long is the ten minute countdown in the anime?

I forget but it definitely lasts a good handful of episodes

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Oh this series is absolutely doomed from the start but hopefully the first season is decent at least

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Have stretchy limbs in live action EVER looked good?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Well at least it can’t be as bad as the Cowboy Bebop adaption right (I hope)?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Len posted:

it was fine other than a really half assed ending without anywhere near enough foreshadowing

ed was exactly as obnoxious as they should have been

I kind of feel bad for the Ed actor though as it was literally their first role (not sure if they’ve done anything since then)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ok, I did not expect Vivi to wind up with Morgans (or with Wapol for that matter), I’m still expecting her to hook back up with Luffy and co eventually though

More importantly, is Carue ok?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also didn’t Morgans basically tell the WG to gently caress off a little while back? Why does he suddenly care about making them look better?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fair enough