Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Clearly there is no secret at all and It was justa a throwaway excuse created by Oda to male Crocodile behave and it will never be used again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Last Celebration posted:

If we’re being pedantic the super speed itself feels like it falls in the category of “the user can warp reality with the most ridiculous power in the world” :v:

Did we even get any official description of Luffy powers?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

That was really hard to follow.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

I will say that this seemed an overall awkward spot to dump Yamato's real reason for staying behind, but whatever.

Yeah, a double flashback yet another Yamato flip-flop and a useless Marco flashback and then a confused half chapter with everything else compressed. Eh.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Sep 9, 2022

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

blizzardvizard posted:

I also agree that Oda was more creative pre-timeskip.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Maybe Blackbeard fruit is a secret demigod fruit.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Maybe Crocodile was the previous Pirate Empress?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Why is Sabo communicating NOW something he saw in Mary Geoise weeks ago, and while staying in a completely different kingdom?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Vermain posted:

i assume that the elders and the navy are used for moments that require discretion, because blasting an entire island into the sea with uranus is gonna raise eyebrows if you do it willy-nilly. this was probably a special case because sabo had seen imu, and that's, like, the #1 top priority state secret that absolutely can't get out because it would threaten the legitimacy of the WG

That's not the impression that I had.
from what I got, the island was going to be blasted in the next few minutes in every case and it was just pure coincidence that Sabo was exactly there in that moment instead than in one of the other rebel island.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

It's just me or the art was quite rough here and there?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Maybe all the people living on the Island are collectively Vegapunk.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

goblin week posted:

flower-flower fruit: arms
arms-arms fruit: weapons

??

Clearly the missing link is the weapon-weapon fruit, that let you produce flowers.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

I really prefer pre-timeskip One piece art.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

The art also became more rough, almost sketch like in a lot of panels.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Bisse posted:

This is good tho imo, the art conveys flow and emotion a lot better now and feels more natural.

Nah.
It's just messy and unpleasant .

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Everyone else here has detailed takes on the post time skip arcs involving plot and pacing and I don’t think I saw anyone else complain that the art is too busy and hard to parse, so maybe I need to prioritize going to the optometrist. It’s been like a decade since my last check so maybe I need bifocal lenses.

Oda horror vacui has consistently got worse.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

I'm still not convinced that gear 5 is "toon power". Nothing we saw in the story is supporting that.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Drakkel posted:

Aside from multiple people in the story describing it as cartoon like?

Who?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Infinitum posted:

Oh like some sort of cartoon character?

Wow, I didn't know Sanji had cartoon powers too.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Oct 13, 2022

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

literally real IRL posted:

Also I'm confused. Is this the "real" Kuma or is the one the revolutionaries have the real one. Why would Bonnie be upset if this is just some copy?

Maybe she doesn't know there are copies and she thinks there is only one?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

lih posted:

that's not kuma, that's bisoromi bear

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

I'm somewhat disappointed by Blackbeard crew fruit powers. The only interesting one is the Van Auger one

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Meme Emulator posted:

Oda seems to like making us sweat for a second, Catarina Devons power made it seem like Bon Clay was dead too at first

See, this is what I'm talking about. Doc Q fruit seems just an Ivankov fruit knockoff (I'm sure he can do more nebulous, ill-defined sickness related stuff... just like Ivankov can do more nebulous, ill-defined hormone related stuff). Catarina fruit is Bon Clay fruit knockoff. Strongest fruit just makes him a Pierre knockoff. Burgess fruit just made him "like he was before, but more" (it doesn't help that Burgess is absolutely my least favorite Blackbeard crew member). I'm like... meh?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Nuebot posted:

I genuinely don't get why people are taking this one as hard as they are this isn't really different from like, earlier in the story, Zoro deciding he needed to get better at sword fighting to cut iron or whatever, then kicking Mr. 1's rear end. It's just more visualized through haki, because haki's always been a representation of a character's willpower, which has always been a facet of the story. The entire reason Roger was able to become pirate king was because he was a strong, rad, dude. Not because he had like, sick nasty haki. He had the haki because he was a strong, rad, dude. Haki is and always has been just a dynamic way of characters doing the usual shonen "My willpower is so strong you can't affect/kill me" thing and that being shaken being the huge turning point in a battle.

???
Haki allows you to feel the presence of enemies and predict their moves, to harden your body like iron and to make weak willed people people faint. That is 100% NOT just a representation of "My willpower is so strong you can't affect/kill me"

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Last Celebration posted:

Edit: also also, kinda wonder if the Sick-Sick fruit’s debut being gender conversion is meant to lampshade that it’s basically the nega-version of the Hormone fruit with all the wild poo poo that entails.

If you have an engineered gender conversion sickness it means that fruit can basically do everything the Hormone fruit can do.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Julias posted:

I mean illness =/= hormones. You can use hormones for various other things too like vitality, strength, etc.

You can probably use illness for those too.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Nuebot posted:

But all of those things are literally just common manifestations of strong will across the entire history of anime and manga. You've always had characters without any super natural power just being like "I detect a strong killing presence from over there" or being just so darn strong and powerful in their resolve that normal humans wilt away in shame. Haki is genuinely just putting a name to a bundle of classic tropes that show up in almost any shonen series :psyduck:

Observation Haki is Mantra. It was used by a 9 years old girl on Skypea.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

The literal meaning of Haki is "Ambition".

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

CharlestonJew posted:

The real reason why this topic is so controversial is because people wanted more female Law

Verdad.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

grieving for Gandalf posted:

oh I remember that. you can tell the one on the left is Liefield because he went to certain lengths to hide the feet

Uh what
That's J. Scott Campbell
Or were you making a joke?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Julias posted:

the marines did find the books though...they apparently were just lazy and didn't feel like dragging them out of the lake though/were incompetent. Start of ch 398.

That just raises further questions!

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

I thought it was a very messy chapter and the whole action sequence wasn't really that good. Let's see were it goes from here but for now I'm not impressed.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Why don't Sentomaru orders the Seraphims to deactivate or send them away before he is out.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Why don't one of the Vegapunks order the Seraphims to attack the CP0

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

I don't understand the sequence of events. Why didn't the Seraphims go with them? How can Lucci recover so fast? Where were Kaku and Stussy in the meantime?

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Dec 22, 2022

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Why didn't they just stay there and defeat the CP0

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Caidin posted:

I dunno, they know the WG is on the way and tends to get places dummy fast? If they stick it out they'll just wind up under siege on Egghead.

Do they know it? I must have missed it.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

I can see where they are coming from. The problem of a power limited only by imagination is that to stop the character to immediately win in any possible situation you need to 1) make them really, really dumb and unimaginative 2) put them in a situation where their victory doesn't matter or 3) stop their power from being used altogether, be it with time limits or straight up power nullifier. And none of the three is a compelling story device, unless used very sparingly.

For example, why Luffy just didn't just use the floor like a giant rug to sweep away all the CP0 mooks in a single strike ?

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Dec 23, 2022

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

CharlestonJew posted:

the main danger of this arc isn’t going to be the straw hats losing a fight anytime soon. They’ve got a team of assassins and seraphim whose main goal is to kill vegapunk, they’ve got 6 other vegapunks spread out throughout the island to protect, and Lucci has shown he’s strong enough to afford to disengage from a fight long enough to take someone else out.

Sure they’ve got the main vegapunk already, but I doubt the straw hats would be very comfortable with leaving the other ones to rot

which is why running away from the CP0, losing Sentomaru and letting them take the Seraphim is a bad idea. Lucci didn't disengage, they freaking let him go.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Infinitum posted:

For an arc that is basically Robot Island there is a distinct lack of Franky mecha shenanigans thus far

:jiggled:

I will be very surprised if Franky will do anything more than funny reactions in this arc. At least until the inevitable 100k characters battle section.