Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

BoosterDuck posted:

█▀█ █▄░█ █▀▀
█▄█ █░▀█ ██▄

█▀█ █ █▀▀ █▀▀ █▀▀
█▀▀ █ ██▄ █▄▄ ██▄

█ █▀
█ ▄█

█▄▄ ▄▀█ █▀▄
█▄█ █▀█ █▄▀

One Piece is... dad?

Dad????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Good pallet cleanser of a chapter, Oda is great at writing comedy. Emperor Luffy being introduced beaten up by his navigator and shoved in a cage... perfect.

Also Nami has conquerors Haki? Sure why not.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Julias posted:

It was a joke, but people are so poisoned on the idea that black lightning effect=conquerors haki that they actually earnestly believe it

...was it tho? could go either way, imo. Personally I'm cool with it eitherway, but it's funny if Nami has it but can only activate it when pissed off.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

We haven't gotten much of Blackbeard, but he's still pretty interesting. Has the same dream as Luffy, but has no moral compass and is interested soley in power. Whereas Luffy is out for the adventure and serendipity, Blackbeard sought out his fruit. Whereas Luffy found a cool skeleton and invited it to the crew, BB invited big bads from the prison riot based on their strength alone.

Rody One Half posted:

Anyway, all that said, there's no need to worry that much

Because the plan is working

Trust the plan

Do wonder how this reconciles with Luffy wanting that slot tho. Does he become Pirate King and immediately give up the mantle cause he'd been there and done that? Who's to say.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Waffleman_ posted:

Spoilers for five weeks from now: One Piece is real

it's real to me :qq:

It's a shame Netflix didn't make this like, six years ago. Given the plop stedda a splash 'A Series of Unfortunate Events' had, I was so delighted to see them finish that off. I'm half expecting this to be about that quality, which would be fine imo. Telling the full story is quite a commitment, and quality of the scripts aside for Bebop, I'll be surprised if this isn't met with similar hesitation for not being the original thing. One wrong move and there goes any followup. Suppose Netflix isn't Warner levels of danger yet tho.

Gonna stay cautiously optimistic.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Scholtz posted:

Season 1 - Up to Loguetown
Season 2 - Arabasta Saga
Season 3 - Skypiea & Long Ring Long Land, Straw Hats lose and disband

Oh, this brings up an interesting point. If they survive to get more than one season, but get cancelled in that one, might they pull a GoT and try to wrap it up themselves? Will we get confirmation of what the OP is years ahead of when the manga will catch up?

The idea of trying to write an epilogue for the story after Skypiea is hilarious.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Waffleman_ posted:

There's also an image edit where he has his cock out

Patrick Fabian or Whitebeard

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dveYAx2y1kc

smh at 2/3 of their choices for admirals.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

A couple of the kids from Punk Hazard do look quite a bit like those kid drawings, and the rest with a tweak to the hair color and a few facial features could also line up.

It's a stretch, but oof would that be dark but really good development.

blizzardvizard posted:

I missed this the first time but Hancock seemed to have hung up a giant poster of Luffy's bounty picture in front of her castle :v:

'dawww

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Eh?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It's for sure a stretch, but it's a fun thought.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Given BB wants Boa's power, seems likely it has different or additional powers than we've seen? Or maybe the 'turn to stone' is triggered not just by affection but by strong feelings in general about the subject. So a strong sense of fear or anger would also trigger the stone-ing. No way BB shooting love arrows out, but

lol.

That Weevil theory is fun too.

The in-between arc chapters kick rear end, drat.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

would honestly be on board for Tupac to show up. Oda would find a way.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Just as a warning, raws are out early this week. Usually they drop sometime Friday U.S. time, but they're already out.

No spoilers, but for anyone curious, the schedule has been going:

- Tuesday-Wednesday we get a trickle of info, usually a chapter summary that teases reveals but doesn't give specifics.
- Thursday more detailed summaries come out.
- Late Thursday/Friday raws drop, which are non-translated photos of the chapters in japanese.
- ...and then TCB Scans gets at it sometime Friday and does the clean first translation pass.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Sep 22, 2022

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Probably wrong, but this feels like table setting for the next main isle, the way Sanji's father's base and Zunesha were. Setting up characters for an adventure to Elbaf to do something with that big ol' tree.

Speaking of being wrong, which I am, nice to see those kids are ok.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Super Rad posted:

Still crazy to me that the plot line of the Wano citizens who were poisoned by the Smile runoff and leftover fruits was completely dropped.

The Yamato flashback fills me with a hope that he does return to this at some point, cause yeah. It's really wild that we don't get at least a couple panels that update us on what the status of those Smile users are. Or the status of the flora, which it seemed implied the plant admiral visiting at least helped reset. Or that Sanji didn't cook for all the starving people before ditching.

Yea yea

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I think ya'll crazy. Wano didn't stick the landing, but I thought when they were fighting the two emperors it was hitting nearly as well as Marinefold. I don't think I've read a comic that does mutli-person battles as well as Oda handles em'. The dance of characters that fight Kaido up until it's 1v1 is just beautiful to behold, as was how he separated Big Mom and allowed Law and Kidd to shine.

Along with multi-person battles, he also juggles power levels *exceptionally* well. Said this before, but pre-skip the crew is generally hitting above their weight, mostly only inconvenienced by devil fruit quirks (besides the big bads) and only really gets their rear end handed to em' in Sabody. Even post skip, it's been neat seeing how earned a lot of the power ups have felt, vs., say, DBZ where kids suddenly can fuse together and for reasons are now the ultimate power.

Last Celebration posted:

Really? I’d personally say that the timeskip was one of the least superfluous in all of Shonen, because the idea of the protagonists not being strong enough to handle the trials ahead was being built up to for like six years, and the vast leap in power/ability felt way more long-term and significant than something like Dragonball/Naruto where they spent three years training just to be weaker than the current new threat.

Also there’s the big thing of the world itself having changed significantly due to fallout of Marineford. But then imho the postskip designs generally barely changed except for Franky.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Break out the emergency One Piece Neck Tier list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1E814kPzHw

Infinitum posted:

It's just a never ending treadmill of power-ups with no story pay off.

This what's historically made me somewhat anime-averse. Fell off reading Bleach and Naruto for the same reason that every fight started to feel by-the-numbersy, and the main threads weren't interesting enough to keep up with. We're 1060 chapters in and just meeting Vegapunk(?). OP still rules.

I also think everyone's down on Wano cause we spent so much time there, but on re-read it'll probably flow better. Dressrosa felt annoyingly long when reading it live, but on a re-read it wasn't really that bad. Cumulated in our crew getting a literal armada too, which felt like a great payoff for having met so many quirky dudes in the colosseum. Wano feels likewise reasonably long, given it was our boy getting the crown of an Emperor of the Sea. Just my two cents.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Oct 3, 2022

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Oh my loving god.

He's like the sun.

Forget Oda, READERS KNEW.

Never noticed before but the straw hat makes a little sun behind his head like a medieval jesus painting.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Given how OP the lightning fruit is, do wonder if we'll get an indication of who had it before Enel.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Captain Invictus posted:

can't wait for the giraffe and leopard versions of these guys

Am excited for this to come back. Betting this is the awakened form if the user isn't strong enough or something - like the 'devil' animal spirit or whatever that lives in them is stronger than the user and overtakes them permanently.

Everything unrevealed in One Piece feels like it could be a crucial tent pole plot point or could just be bullshit. And that's great.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

[chapter spoilers]
Another gender swap ability but this one refers to being a woman as a disease hoo boy Oda.

Sure does seem like BB is collecting people readers have a vested interest in. Koby, Law, Pudding(?) Fun way to get everyone together in one place for the inevitable big BB battle.

Still excited for what order the finale stuff goes down. Got BB as one set of bad guys and Im and angry navy commander on the other. Have to assume BB gets fought as they race to the One Piece, but does that mean they get it and then go back to Mary Geoise to beat them up? Or do they take a detour from getting to Laugh Tale to go beat up Im. Or does Im leave his castle for some reason.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Oct 13, 2022

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

skipmyseashells posted:

now why would aokiji go and kidnap pudding

to get all the characters in one place for marineford 2.0

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Curious if we'll get the backstory to BB's crew at some point or if they'll remain just beefy mountains for Straw Hats to beat. Not that they all need it, but it'd be nice to footnote if the level six prisoners were wrecking islands we'd visited before they got captured.

Really like Van Augur's goofy rear end design.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

That aside, love the hunger line. Had that come up yet that true Samurai don't experience hunger? And that he immediately confirms Momo is alive and with him.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Posted this fan artist before, but loving their recent series. Predictions on the 'endings' for each Straw Hat.

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHW3SjEFAjI
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oIdU5ZYgLU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Okay FINE, I'll do what everyone has been telling me to do for years and read/watch one piece :argh:

Godspeed! Don't feel obliged to, but a joy of this thread has been people reading the series for the first time and posting their impressions. OP is a rare piece of media that has managed to do ~1100 chapters worth and still be great, so you'll find most people enjoy seeing others starting the ride.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Is the Koby from Chapter 2 the same Koby from the movie? Wow, that kid is in for a heck of a glow up. What fruit does he eat that causes him to grow two feet, no longer need glasses, and get a better haircut?

Oda doesn't forget [[most]] characters, so get ready for a lot of these kind of transformations.

Red Spoilers: Ussop getting a brief moment with his dad was my favorite moment. Lots of cute moments throughout.

Old king saving the song that killed everyone he ever knew because he just loved music so much is peak one note character. Glad he did tho, Tot musica's design is fun.

That said, Uta's life sucked eh? Fun childhood that ended with her losing her family and then she nearly killed her fans and friends and then just died. Shanks abandoning the kid only an island with only one living guy left seems way crueler than the movie treats it.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Cloks posted:

manga spoiler

why are you hiding the letter "P", Oda?

Going back to this, I think I cracked it:

It's Sunk Records. It's a giant egg because it was it was a giant time capsule that was sunk below the ocean that Vegapunk or someone discovered, surfaced, and opened up.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

MonsterEnvy posted:

On One Piece Red. Tot Musica is a great song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJATdtg2rZQ

Reminded me a lot of Pleather for Breakfast from No More Heroes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aPSLqJ341g

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Senor Pink's backstory is so over the top it goes from tragic to very silly.

I think what really sold it was that you've come to just expect weird characters in this story, so no one commenting on Senor Pink's outfits felt par the course. Then you get the back story and learn they did raise eyebrows to it, but ultimately understood and moved on. It's great nuance that Don Flamingo's family really was just that, and cared enough about each other to overlook such a goofy life choice.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

With Caeser back with Germa and Queen *somewhere*, excited to see if we'll get a reunion of MADS yet in Egghead.

Speaking of the snail telephones, chuckled at the Oda comment in the Film Red notes that she found an "experimental, extra special" prototype that allowed her to send her picture... because if those were widespread that'd be a way too convenient tech.

Cloks posted:

Water 7 / Enies Lobby is my favorite arc but Egghead Island might knock it off its perch.

Bold claim 5 chapters into an arc.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Did Oda ever explain what the 66 in Germa 66 is for? Curiously, there's a 66 marker also on the big egg that makes up Egghead isle.

...MADS?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Cool, missed that. All the more curious why the BIG EGG has 66 on it then.

Also, no break next week :unsmith:

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Meme Emulator posted:

IDK Julias was taunting us earlier with a translation but decided not to share.

I think the issue is the translation is currently raw photos of the chapter in Japanese and a separate series of Twitter screenshots of just the text lines in English by page... and they're noticeably iffy.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Far be it from me to send anyone to reddit, but the OP Reddit board does a great job of catching and pinning chapter spoilers to a stickeyed post every week there is one. In case anyone's curious where all that hub bub comes from.

Godspeed, TCB angels. Can't wait for better translations to drop.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

SgtSteel91 posted:

I should have know Vegapunk 'Prime' would be an exaggerated Einstein

I love the design so much.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Realistically I'm a-ok with cutting Oda slack on not having this completely worked out 10 years ago when Robin was hanging out with Dragon.

Story wise, there's enough of a trend of people withholding information until there's something actionable on it that it doesn't bother me too much. Presumably Dragon didn't read the books, so he might not have followed up on the importance of them. Or he understood Saul was in hiding and didn't want Robin who has a massive target on her back B-lining it to him. Or just similarly having her accidentally lead CP9 or whatever to Elbaf where they could discover the books, etc.

It's been sprinkled that Vegapunk doesn't think he has much time left, and isn't yet done sharing info with them, so we'll see!

Also, expository flashbacks are kind of one of Oda's strong suits so :shrug: if you've made it this far and aren't on board.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Meme Emulator posted:

Ive been thinking about the books in Ohara for a decade now, and they throw a LOT of books in that lake, you can see the books from the surface of the water. The solution Ive came up with is that the weight of all the books compressed the stack of books enmough that enough water was kept out to at least somewhat preserve some of them. So all the books in the middle of the pile could maybe be salvageable. The more incredible thing is that the WG didnt blight the lake after seeing the books thrown into it

Just as plausible that they just waterproofed the books. You get the sense they knew they were playing with fire (heh heh) and might have had this in mind as a failsafe to make sure the knowledge prevailed. Works well as most people would assume the water would destroy them anyway.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Luffy totally dies before he gets old. They made a whole big deal out of "this will heal you but drain your life power" in Impel Down, and I could have sworn there was a couple of other things too.

I don't think it's fair to call Saul a cheap fakeout death as say, Sabo. It was foreshadowed enough through character personalities (Akoji seeming to not be an rear end in a top hat) and the move name. Like, if Clover or Robin's mom were still alive, sure sure, but we did get confirmation all those folks died. Giant guy? That's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Ed D. Vedder