Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Yamato was done dirty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Strelok604 posted:

it still feels like there's something more to Mihawk than we know what with how they immediately jumped to giving him a higher bounty than Luffy or Blackbeard. I feel like his parentage or something about his past is yet to be revealed

That is an intresting question. One thing I have wonder about is who won the duel between Shanks and Mihawk .

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
I just realized that Nami would be a really bad fight for Crocodile.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Scratchman Apoo posted:

I think the deal with Zoro's new bounty is a pun on his birthday (11/11) which is an important number in Zoroastrianism (I think? Someone correct me if this is wrong.) Whereas Sanji's bounty of 1.32 is because 3-2 is can be pronounced as San-Ji.

Crocodile's is a pun as well. 1.965 with 9 being kyu 6 being roku and 5 being go. You can make that into "Ku ro co-dile"

Personally I love that Oda has decided bounties are important as goofy pun numbers.

Kind of whish Zorro had a fox motif for the corss language pun. Also how is it we nearly 30 years into this series and he has never cover a z into some clothes?

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Law's powers are weird.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

That loving owns

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Scholtz posted:

This is from Ch 1025 fyi

Tbh I'm not sure if this confirms they're not human, at least until Oda says so from outside of the story. Also, neither Kaido's nor Yamato's vivre card doesn't mention their species, which is only mentioned when the subject of the card is not human.

I am assuming oni is getting translated as Ogre. How man character have horns like Kaido and Yamato? Avalo Pizarro, Black Maria and Blueno am I missing anyone

side_burned fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Sep 9, 2022

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Scholtz posted:

I wasn't refuting the translation

I didn't mean it that way I was just thinking that their could be demonic connotation that got lost in that translation.

Does that mean Kind was angel working for demon? huh.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

blizzardvizard posted:

Zoro vs Mihawk is gonna happen in-story, but I'm not sure it's gonna be shown to the readers necessarily. The way the story's going Cross Guild isn't likely to end up being a major antagonist, especially cos they're not gonna rehash Crocodile as the arc boss. It's probably all Blackbeard and the WG from this point on, so when and how is Zoro vs Mihawk gonna happen on the way to the story's endgame? Defeating Mihawk specifically wasn't Zoro's dream anyway, it was to be the world's greatest swordsman and Mihawk was just a benchmark.

I think they're just gonna have a duel in some remote island off-screen that would last a week or something in the epilogue.

Something I have been half expecting is for Shiryu to be the one who defeats Milhawk. It would help to establish the Blackbeards as legit threats to have crew member defeat Milhawk, Yoru fits Shiryu psudo nazi look and Milhawk is shown to heavily use observation Haki which Shiryu seems built to gently caress with that (and so is Shanks) even before his devil fruit.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Cloks posted:

i think the official translation of this line is a little better than the fan translation but man, Vasco Shot and the rest of Blackbeard's crew are gross

The Blackbeards talking about killing and rapping Boa and then choking her was really dark for One Piece.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Just look at the smile.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 16, 2022

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
I am so down for Law vs Blackbeard.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
One Piece Red is about cocaine.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

MonsterEnvy posted:

On One Piece Red. Tot Musica is a great song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJATdtg2rZQ

That was the only the stood out to me.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Uta's cocaine habit is pretty bad.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Not a fan of Boa's clone being able to use her fruit on a bunch of adult marines.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Gear 5 is great

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

anime was right posted:

i do think that, narratively, kidd probably shouldnt have been wiped out by a single attack even from shanks, but im fine with oda just wrapping that poo poo up ASAP because this was the best way of hyping up shanks and frankly if kidds not relevant to the story anymore outside of his poneglyphs, thats cool.

If One Piece has a weakness its that Oda's choices on what to draw out and what to compress are arbitrary. I think Kid deserved a fight that went on for one or two chapters rather than getting chumped in one hit.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Cool to see Garp cutting loose and going all out.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Scholtz posted:

Garp could've saved Ace.

Garp, smacked Marco out of the air with out trying. Garp had legit chance being able to beat Whitebeard on that day.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Buggy declaring he wants to be the Pirate Kings is one of those moments that you know is going to be iconic.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Kaido literally calls him with masculine pronouns too. The villain of the arc is less transphobic than these "fans" lmao.

There's an entire scene where Yamato is bathing with Luffy and the male part of the crew!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You could call Kiado crulle, and a tyrant but not a transphobe.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 5, 2023

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
The guy playing Buggy is killing it.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Sep 3, 2023

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Eiba posted:

I would not be surprised at all if, over the course of this flashback, we see Dragon was a young Marine under Garp, and whatever happens here is what inspires Dragon to destroy the unacceptably hosed up world order.

I am expecting to see Garp and Dragon as father and son hero duo and then at the end Dragon give a gently caress you dad speech after being told her can't free all of his new friends.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Oct 24, 2023

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
I do look forward to Blackbeard's tragic flashback.

Fake Edit:
A friend of mine is has caught up to Water7 and I started watching random bits of the arc and got to Marry's funeral. I forget how that scene hits you like a ton of bricks; its not just the funeral its the Straw Hats joyfully declaring the world their enemy, surviving one fight after another where each Strawhat finds their limit and goes past it and finally when corned by the marines they all make a leap of faith and then after some goofy light hearted fun Marry is at their limit and can't go any further. :smith:

side_burned fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 25, 2023

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
This arc is brutal. Seeing that Kuman is truly selfless man and loving father, who sacrificed everything for his daughter is so tragic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Paper Lion posted:

framing the kuma running page the way oda did with his parents sending him off into the world, the way he huffs and puffs and gets more tired but keeps going as he meets more people, and the specific "frame" of his run that oda chooses mirroring the nika dance, juxtaposing his faith in nika and the ideals he represents with the way he chooses to move through life and impact others. the direct visual line drawn between the tiring exertion of sprinting for your life and what you believe in with the the only known action of your god, turning every bond he made into almost a form of transubstantiationist communion. its so incredible. i cried when i read it and im crying again thinking about it

Odda is really is using the arch to show that he's a master of his craft.