Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Champion for August, 2022?
This poll is closed.
Jon Moxley (AEW & GCW Champion) 38 65.52%
:megaman: Claudio Castagnoli (ROH World Champion) 6 10.34%
Jordynne Grace (Impact Knockouts Champion) 0 0%
:greenangel: Syuri (World of Stardom Champion) 0 0%
:baby: El Lindaman (G-REX Champion) 3 5.17%
:pilot:Josh Alexander (Impact World Champion) 1 1.72%
:thatsrad: Kazusada Higuchi (KO-D Openweight Champion) 2 3.45%
:skeltal: Thunder Rosa (FORMER AEW Women's Champion) 0 0%
:axe: Baliyan Akki (Super Asia Champion) 4 6.90%
:cloudnine: (None of the Above) 4 6.90%
Total: 58 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

In July, for the first time since November of 2020 (and a win in the 2020 yearly poll), Jon Moxley made a long overdue and welcome return to winner of The Great Jase Space's Champion of the Month poll. In June, the first ever 2-time AEW Champion only managed a second place finish thanks to an incredible month for Switchblade Jay White. But with that detestable pervert out of the mix due to the G1, blood pervert Jon Moxley had an easy victory, with his only close competition being fellow BCC Member and ROH Champion Claudio Castagnoli, with Kenoh and Roman Reigns coming a distant 3rd and 4th respectively. July was all about the AEW and GCW Champion though, who continued to blow people away with his wrestling, his promos, his astonishing work ethic and his clear devotion to the insanity that is professional wrestling. We're lucky to have him, but is this simply a one-and-done or are we on track for another long run of monthly wins (and potentially another annual win) for a man who was once laughably described by a bad promotion and a senile promoter as being miserable, lazy and simply not having it in his heart to make it as a pro-wrestler.

Eligible Champions are chosen on a combination of accessibility, prestige/notoriety and by overwhelming popular request. For promotions where lengthy periods of time pass with no title defenses, promos, appearances, shows etc those champions will be dropped from the poll for that period only, then return when once again relevant - for instance, Arisa Nakajima (SEAdLINNNG), Bianca Belair (Raw Women's), Kenoh (NOAH), Liv Morgan (Smackdown Women's), Roman Reigns (WWE), Shoko Nakajima (TJPW), Suwama (All Japan), Switchblade Jay White (New Japan) & Yuki Yoshoka (Dragongate) did not defend their titles this month and are temporarily removed from the poll, and as mentioned in an earlier thread, the old G1/N1 loophole no longer exists due to space constraints. The monthly "None of the Above" option is a valid potential "winner" and has "won" the poll in the past, feel free to use this as a protest vote if you so wish.

Now onto the (small number of!) eligible contenders for the month just gone. Feel free to make an argument for/against any particular champion you think does/doesn't deserve the votes of other posters in this thread.

Jon Moxley (AEW & GCW Champion) - "OH I'M SORRY WAS THAT NOT SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN!?!" - these were the words of angry triumph from Moxley shortly after his shockingly quick victory over former Champion CM Punk. Punk had returned from the foot injury that ended his AEW title reign before it really had a chance to start, and immediately cut a promo on Hangman Page for some reason before turning his attention to Moxley. Claiming Mox was always only the third best in any stable he involved himself with, Punk was brimming with confidence as he walked into Dynamite in Cleveland... and not so confident as a little over 3 minutes later he was aided out after hurting his other foot and getting obliterated by Moxley. In addition to putting aside any doubt that he was THE World Champion of AEW, Mox also defeated Effy at Night 1 of GCW's Homecoming Weekend, in a match that wasn't as emotionally charged as the one with Punk but did have a lot more kissing!

:megaman: Claudio Castagnoli (ROH World Champion) - Claudio, whose own title victory helped correct the unfathomable notion that he never won the ROH World Title during the promotion's prime run in the mid-to-late 2000s, faced both the future and the past in August. Starting the month with a win over the incredible Konosuke Takeshita, Claudio finished it by successfully defeating Dustin Rhodes - a man who like Claudio always seemed to have everything a promoter could dream of and yet never got to have that run at the top that seemed a no-brainer. Claudio defeated both, and the question now is who is next. Whoever it is, there is a pretty high chance the match is going to be great because... well, because Claudio will be in it!

Jordynne Grace (Impact Knockouts Champion) - Following victories over former champions Tasha Steelz and Deonna Purrazzo, Grace continued her reign with a victory over Mia Yim at the Emergence PPV, before the two went on to an unsuccessful bid for the tag titles the next night on Impact.

:greenangel: Syuri (World of Stardom Champion) - The Champion of the biggest Joshi Promotion in the world vs. one of its founders! Syuri faced and defeated the veteran of All Japan women, Ice Ribbon, one of the founders of Stardom itself and of course also SEAdLINNNG: Nanae Takahashi! All Nanae's accomplishments couldn't best arguably one of the best wrestlers in the world today though, as Syuri entered and left the Nagoya MidSummer Encounter as champion.

:baby: El Lindaman (G-REX Champion) - After his delightful showing in the Best of the Super Junior tournament for New Japan in May, El Lindaman got a chance to avenge his loss in his first match of that tournament... against Suzuki-Gun's wonderful trash goblin DOUKI! Avenge it he did, as El Lindaman defeated DOUKI in a match almost 3 times as long as their BOSJ match, retaining his G-REX title at Korakuen Hall for GLEAT G Pro-Wrestling in their Ver. 31 show.

:pilot:Josh Alexander (Impact World Champion) - Alexander not only successfully defended his Impact title against Alex Shelley at Impact's Emergency PPV in the United States, but then traveled to Canada only a week later to defeat Bhupinder Gujjar at Greektown Pro-Wrestling's Funky Munk PPV.

:thatsrad: Kazusada Higuchi (KO-D Openweight Champion) - Having won the vacant title, DDT's new champion of course faced questions on the legitimacy of his reign until he could defeat the man who had vacated it due to injury. Tetsuya Endo faced down with Higuchi at DDT's biggest event of the year - Peter Pan - where Higuchi made it clear he was not a belt pillow, defeating the former champion in a hell of a match. Of course, every challenge overcome creates a new challenge, as Higuchi will continue to wave the flag (like a badass) for DDT, but his next opponent will be DDT's Ace freshly back from a very successful tour of America: Konosuke Takeshita!

:skeltal: Thunder Rosa (FORMER AEW Women's Champion) - Defeating Jamie Hayter at Battle of the Belts 3, the plan next was for Thunder Rosa to defend against friend and tag-partner Toni Storm at the All Out PPV in early September. Unfortunately... plans change! Tearfully announcing she was relinquishing the belt during a backstage interview on Dynamite, Rosa explained an ongoing back issue meant she simply couldn't make it through another match. The new champion will now be decided at All Out in a Fatal Fourway between Storm, Hayter, Hikaru Shida and Dr. Britt Baker DMD.

:axe: Baliyan Akki (Super Asia Champion) - After two months without a title defense, Akki took advantage of his current tour of the United States to defend the title against Tony Deppen at Garden State Pro-Wrestling's Thy Kingdom Come event in New Jersey.

:cloudnine: (None of the Above) - If you're so happy at the reduced number of champions, or that there isn't choice paralysis, or you just feel really stoked to see the results, then None of the Above is the option for you!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's Jon Moxley, dammit

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Moxley is the champion of my heart but Higuchi had the best title match I saw this month, and there's a little Higuchi in my heart too

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I think Higuchi rules and was so relieved that he beat Endo, but there's no denying Mox who is just on fire right now.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
cm punk defended his title and is robbed of being in the poll. voting none of the above

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

not enough belts

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

KungFu Grip posted:

cm punk defended his title and is robbed of being in the poll

good

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i know you won't do it now but let's all vote for "(None of the Above)" next month. just something to think about if you have any empathy? idk, up to you.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

KungFu Grip posted:

cm punk defended his title and is robbed of being in the poll. voting none of the above

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
i guess the proper word i was looking for was "CM Punk had a title defense" not Defended. I take back my outrage but not my vote!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CM Punk had a match for the title which he lost, if he wants to be on the poll he needs to win a title first! Maybe he'll do so this Sunday, if he can get past the humiliation of his defeat by undisputed AEW Champion Jon Moxley from last week!

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

CM Punk had a match for the title which he lost, if he wants to be on the poll he needs to win a title first! Maybe he'll do so this Sunday, if he can get past the humiliation of his defeat by undisputed AEW Champion Jon Moxley from last week!

ok legitimately now. He was Billed as AEW Champion defending his AEW title vs Mox's AEW Title though???? Punk was challenging Mox's title as much as Mox was challenging Punk's title

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
i'm looking at the previous month's champions and i don't see CM Punk up there, sounds to me like he was probably never champ

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

KungFu Grip posted:

ok legitimately now. He was Billed as AEW Champion defending his AEW title vs Mox's AEW Title though???? Punk was challenging Mox's title as much as Mox was challenging Punk's title

There's only one champion, not two. That's what being the champion means! Moxley was the champion going in and the champion coming out. CM Punk can be the champion again if he beats Mox at All Out though!

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Moxley is going to win, but I put my vote towards Higuchi because he had the best title match of the three I saw this month

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

There's only one champion, not two. That's what being the champion means! Moxley was the champion going in and the champion coming out. CM Punk can be the champion again if he beats Mox at All Out though!

smh you changed Jru. the old you would have recognized CM Punk as champion just like you did like Cena back when Punk did the same thing in 2011.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Punk deserves to be listed but I’d be voting for Mox either way.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

KungFu Grip posted:

smh you changed Jru. the old you would have recognized CM Punk as champion just like you did like Cena back when Punk did the same thing in 2011.

This reminds me, this month's relatively low number was an aberration because so many champions didn't defend their belts, but holy poo poo back in the day I had to stretch to find enough entries for a somewhat reasonable looking poll!

Thank God for all the incredible wrestling we have access to now.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Gotta vote for my boy El Lindaman. That DOUKI match was fantastic

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

This month I am basing my vote solely on the handsomest/prettiest wrestler available.

So, in a close run race Claudio beats Jordynne.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I usually try and champion someone from a "smaller" company but it's Mox this month, dammit!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

BrigadierSensible posted:

This month I am basing my vote solely on the handsomest/prettiest wrestler available.

So, in a close run race Claudio beats Jordynne.

Counterpoint:

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

It's Mox. Punk might be able to claim it for September, but August is Mox's month.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jerusalem posted:

Moxley was the champion going in

Interim champion :eng101:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rarity posted:

Interim champion :eng101:

Yes he was champion in the room, and outside the room too, and in all the rooms. From winning the vacant title to defending it successfully against CM Punk, Moxley was quite the interesting champion :hai:

4 Days to vote!

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Punk’s reign was so bad he can’t even get on the poll in the month he lost the title. Mox wins and the Punkailures need to wrap it up

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
I gotta go with the Best Bro Baliyan Akki.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Disappointed at the lack of Claudio love. For shame.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

What's also shameful are those of you who haven't voted yet! Vote!

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
i think more people would vote if cm punk was on the poll

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

KungFu Grip posted:

i think more people would vote if cm punk was on the poll

He should win a title then! Maybe he will in September :)

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Jerusalem posted:

He should win a title then! Maybe he will in September :)

Except this is the only time you ever left off a participant in a unification match. This is dumb.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Less than a day to vote, so vote!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

KungFu Grip posted:

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

this poll is a sham

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

JOHN CENA posted:

this poll is a sham

I know, you can't trust a poll where people don't vote for the prestigious G-REX champion El Lindaman

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

I know, you can't trust a poll where people don't vote for the prestigious G-REX champion El Lindaman

The only possible explanation is that everyone is mad at him for beating DOUKI

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Douki To The Polls

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

The only possible explanation is that everyone is mad at him for beating DOUKI

I am very mad at that tiny little man for beating my precious Trash Goblin :hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I'm just mad at the lack of love for Claudio. This is just a drat popularity contest! :mad: