Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021
A lot of artists are worried that this will put them out of business.
Imagine if someone fed your portfolio into a machine and then axed you. Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I guess. You don't think there's any potential in allowing this thing to create first drafts which a "real artist" then uses to make a more refined image?

If anything, I think the opposite way would be more effective. The artist makes a sketch and the machine finishes it, renders, adds color.

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021
As it is, you don’t have much control of what the machine spits out, outside of subject matter. That makes AI art perfect for people who just want “a picture of X” and don’t care about anything past that.
It’s the opposite of a creative tool. It removes the creative process from art and makes the painter’s job to remove AI artifacting and make the hands/eyes not look weird. So it’s removing the artist’s control and giving them the bitch work.
If you really want to automate art effectively, you should automate the bitch work instead. Make the machine do the lines, coloring, in-between frames for animation, etc.
The way these AI tools are designed, it’s clear that they’re built to remove power from the artist’s hands and give it to the Idea Guys who don’t care about quality of output

Pink Mist has issued a correction as of 13:58 on Sep 30, 2022

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

Depends on which way the process is going, I think! If the artist already has something specific in mind this way would be better.
In the other direction, just as an example, I was generating images for a TTRPG campaign where the players were fighting against a giant snowman. What I liked about it is that after generating like 12 options, I could pick and choose the elements from each one that I liked and then combine them all in photoshop and clean them up.

So photobashing together reference images. Which is fine, but a different beast than drawing or painting.

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

Sure, is that not a creative process? Are things created in photoshop also not art now?

I’m not saying that’s not art. But drawing/painting have advantages that photobashing can’t replicate. I would argue that drawing something from scratch offers more control for the artist, and Idea Guys will leap at the chance to take that power away from painters

Plus, like, do you really think people who employ artists will care enough to photobash and tweak the output? A lot of them don’t want good, just passable.

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021
AI is automating the most creative part of the artistic process instead of the least creative part, this makes little sense to me

I would completely buy the “it’s a tool for humans” bit if the goal wasn’t to completely generate (*lovely-looking) images from scratch instead of removing manual labor from the process

Pink Mist has issued a correction as of 15:39 on Sep 30, 2022

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

then you should start using it the way that you think makes more sense! :)

When they make an AI that can make linework for my sketches and generate lighting based on a sample, I will use it. I have no interest in taking a half-baked image of Jpow as the joker and twiddling with his eyes/fingers until they don’t look uncanny valley anymore. That’s already the worst part of art.

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

Good news: You can set up Midjourney to input your own reference images already!

That doesn’t do what I mentioned. Are you trolling?

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

It’s cool that someone has the idea, even though it isn’t usable. For one thing, that sketch already has better lines than the AI output, which not only looks bad but is also too simplified to be worked into a final piece without redoing all of it anyway. But maybe one day the technology will be there.
Honestly if they made an AI fill bucket that detected gaps really well without blurring everything to hell that would already be useful

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021
I agree
However
This requires legislation and what are the odds of that happening

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

Mola Yam posted:

it's a fun toy. cool tech. lots of valid concerns. cat out of bag etc. etc.

but "these pictures suck! they suck!!!!" is a weak leg to stand on

like look at where this tech has gone since Deep Dream in 2015, and look at the progress just in the last six months, and look at imagen and parti, and think about where that's going to be in 1 year, 5 years, 15 years.

there are plenty of good reasons to poo poo on AI art, and reasons to like it, but "heh, look at those hands and eyes" is as dumb a take as the handful of people going "it's objectively very good! ready for primetime, right now!"

you will be chasing the suck of the gaps forever.

The hands and eyes are special cases because our brains are very good at parsing them. If anything, those will be the last subjects to look passable. It’s not impossible for AI art to get there, it would just take longer. It might not be a coincidence that both those examples you posted are wearing glasses/visors.

I would compare it to self driving car tech. Now your car has a light that tells you when it’s safe to switch lanes, but that doesn’t mean it can do all the object detection required to drive itself. It isn’t impossible for AI to improve enough to drive the car, but it’s been 5 years away for a while now because you can get pretty close without the cigar.

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

turn off the TV posted:

honestly the more i use stable diffusion the less limitations it feels like it has, but i'm also using it to edit photographs. the img2img function gets rid of jpeg artifacts incredibly well and it can be used to create super high quality upscales of even the most janky of images.

This is a good use of ai. The biggest quality sticklers I know don’t like the mushy artifacting it currently makes, but for something like scaling your 200dpi poster up to 300dpi, it works great.

Communist Thoughts posted:

A lot of the art I've made with midjourney kicks rear end and even as someone halfway decent at it I'm glad that people who can't draw or paint can now produce nice art.

There must be a lot of people with a good eye for composition or whatnot who can't draw a circle.

It’s less common than you’d think. Generally you learn how to compose while you learn to draw the circle. When we’re kids, we learn that pictures should logically make sense, which has us draw static, symmetrical, centered compositions that are ineffective in art. Think people standing in the center of the frame facing directly towards the viewer.
You learn how to stop doing that at the same time as you learn how anatomy and linework work. Photographers need a while to get good at composition too.

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

Lostconfused posted:

https://twitter.com/ArcadiaSofka/status/1577498654566363137

People need to learn what words mean or just not use them.

Yes my monitor is on.

I think this person misunderstands the excitement behind this technology. They remind me of those artists who assumed NFTs would be used in good faith to protect digital artwork. Just because the tech has a hypothetical use case does not mean it’ll get used that way. Artists will be on the sidelines and people won’t care.

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

No but you see, the result could hypothetically be used in a photoshop or collage, so this is definitely a tool for artists and not a way to remove them from the process entirely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021
Actually when a few researchers steal a billion illustrations for their algorithm to replicate it’s extremely democratic