Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Champion for September, 2022?
This poll is closed.
CM Punk (FORMER AEW Champion) 8 10.81%
Jon Moxley (AEW Champion) 23 31.08%
:megaman: Claudio Castagnoli (FORMER ROH World Champion) 3 4.05%
:judas: Chris Jericho (ROH World Champion) 20 27.03%
:axe: Baliyan Akki (Super Asia Champion) 4 5.41%
:baby: El Lindaman (G-REX Champion) 3 4.05%
:thatsrad: Kazusada Higuchi (KO-D Openweight Champion) 0 0%
:pilot:Josh Alexander (Impact World Champion) 0 0%
:thurman: Bianca Belair (Raw Women's Champion) 0 0%
Kenoh (FORMER GHC Champion) 0 0%
:kiddo: Kaito Kiyomiya (GHC Champion) 0 0%
:shrug: Liv Morgan (Smackdown Women's Champion) 1 1.35%
:smugdog: Roman Reigns (WWE Champion) 1 1.35%
Suwama (FORMER Triple Crown Champion) 0 0%
Kento Miyahara (Triple Crown Champion) 4 5.41%
:science: Toni Storm (AEW Women's Champion) 1 1.35%
:kingsley: Yuki Yoshioka (Open the Dream Gate Champion) 2 2.70%
:yeah: (None of the Above) 4 5.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Though the number of votes was lower than usual, the winner was still seemingly never in doubt as AEW Champion Jon Moxley took 65% of the vote to become The Great Jase Space's Pro-Wrestling Champion for August, and his second month in a row. Once again, fellow Blackpool Combat Club member Claudio Castagnoli managed the second place finish, but it wasn't even close. With so many Champions out of the running for August, the votes didn't really spin out to those who were left, though Baliyan Akki did manage a rare defense of his title that saw him end up in third place. But August is in the record books now, and the Champion for that month is now and forevermore Jon Moxley.

Eligible Champions are chosen on a combination of accessibility, prestige/notoriety and by overwhelming popular request. For promotions where lengthy periods of time pass with no title defenses, promos, appearances, shows etc those champions will be dropped from the poll for that period only, then return when once again relevant - for instance, Arisa Nakajima (SEAdLINNNG), Jordynne Grace (Impact Women's), Shoko Nakajima (TJPW), Syuri (Stardom), and Switchblade Jay White (New Japan) did not defend their titles this month and are temporarily removed from the poll. The monthly "None of the Above" option is a valid potential "winner" and has "won" the poll in the past, feel free to use this as a protest vote if you so wish.

Now onto the eligible contenders for the month just gone. Feel free to make an argument for/against any particular champion you think does/doesn't deserve the votes of other posters in this thread.

CM Punk (FORMER AEW Champion) - Be careful what you wish for! After having to vacate his first title reign due to injury, Punk quickly lost to Jon Moxley in what was supposed to be his triumphant return to the ring. He quickly made up for that though with a superb victory over Moxley at All Out to become the second ever 2-time AEW Champion, a match with an incredible ending that.... nobody remembers or has talked about at all since it happened because EVERYTHING got overshadowed by the controversy of the post-PPV media scrum. Punk went off about old (and now VERY former) friend Colt Cabana as well as Hangman Adam Page, The Young Bucks and Kenny Omega, leading to a locker-room confrontation that turned into a brawl involving thrown chairs and biting (not Ishii). Punk had also badly injured his triceps in the match, so he was going to have to vacate the title regardless, with the brawl the icing on the cake (not from Mindy's Bakery). His second title reign lasted only a day, even shorter than the just under two weeks of his first title reign. It was remarkable to have 3 time Champ of the Year CM Punk back as a vote-able option again after all these years, but it seems likely this month may really be the LAST chance you ever get to vote for him.

Jon Moxley (AEW Champion) - Though he did not defend his GCW Title he won just over a year ago in September, it was a VERY busy month for Jon Moxley. Losing the AEW Title in an excellent match against CM Punk, Moxley looked set to finally enjoy a well-deserved vacation, when suddenly <weakly gestures to everything> and after delivering some killer promos, Moxley found himself becoming adding the first ever 3-time AEW Champion to his record as the first time ever 2-time AEW Champion! Winning the mini-tournament with a final victory over fellow BCC Member Bryan Danielson, Moxley continues to be the rock that AEW can rely on when poo poo goes south, making a further mockery over the bullshit story from WWE that the former Dean Ambrose simply didn't have his heart in pro-wrestling.

:megaman: Claudio Castagnoli (FORMER ROH World Champion) - Having never won the ROH World Title during the heyday of ROH when he was in the company of greats like Bryan Danielson and Nigel McGuiness, Claudio reveled in his surprising but welcome 2-month run as ROH Champion in 2022, with 5 defenses, 3 of which came in September alone! But while he was able to beat the wrestlers Ari Daivari and Dax Harwood, he met his match in his antithesis: the Sports Entertainer!

:judas: Chris Jericho (ROH World Champion) - Yes, the Master of Reinvention has done it again, creating yet another compelling story-line around his "Sports Entertainment" brand of The Jericho Appreciation Society. Winning the ROH Title and vowing to "desecrate" Ring of Honor and humiliate as many former Champions as he can, all tied in with an ongoing angle feuding over ROH Pure Champion and JAS Member Daniel Garcia with wrestling AND Ring of Honor great Bryan Danielson, Jericho is blowing everybody away yet again with his performances, aided by a new healthy lease on life after getting back into fantastic shape. He ended the month with an astonishing title defense against former ROH Champion Bandido, a match so good Bandido was almost immediately offered an AEW contract as well. How does Jericho constantly do it? Well... he is a Wizard!

:axe: Baliyan Akki (Super Asia Champion) - After a long stretch without defenses, Akki returned from his tour of the United States to Japan, where he had his second defense in less than a month, this time against Kaori Yoneyama at Gatoh Move's #TropicalNight show.

:baby: El Lindaman (G-REX Champion) - GLEAT's diminutive champion added yet another challenger medal to his growing collection as he defeated one of the foundation stones of the company, Takanori Ito. Lindaman has said he will not face fellow Dragon Gate alumnus Kaito Ishida so as things stand his next challenger is up in the air. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI!

:thatsrad: Kazusada Higuchi (KO-D Openweight Champion) - Having defeated in August the former champion who had never lost the belt, Tetsuya Endo, Higuchi further cemented his status as the top wrestler in DDT with an incredible match against DDT's Ace, Konosuke Takeshita. Takeshita was flying high from a high profile and successful tour of the United States, and declared he would win the title back and take it with him on his return to the US... but Higuchi wasn't having it! Defeating Takeshita, Higuchi has no shortage of further challengers, but after his last two months there is now no doubt that he is THE top wrestler in DDT.... for now at least!

:pilot:Josh Alexander (Impact World Champion) - Opening the month at Impact's Destination Chicago event, Josh Alexander defended his title against Masha Slamovich, before continuing his tradition of defending the title in other promotions with a successful defense against 1 Called Manders at REVOLVER's Tales from the Ring 5 PPV.

:thurman: Bianca Belair (Raw Women's Champion) - Feuding with the returning Bayley and her Damage CTRL faction through most of the last two months, Belair only managed one title defense in that time, defeating Sonya Deville on Raw while keeping her eyes set on a Ladder match against Bayley in October's Extreme Rules PPV.

Kenoh (FORMER GHC Champion) - 2 steps forward, 3 steps back. NOAH managed to alleviate some of its constant problems around loving with their title picture with old wrestlers at the expense of young talent by making Kenoh the GHC Champion... only for him to promptly lose it on his FIRST title defense. He'd held the title for two months but only had the one title defense, meaning there was little to no momentum to the title reign of an angry, pissy little man who deserves better.

:kiddo: Kaito Kiyomiya (GHC Champion) - But at least it was Kiyomiya! The young talent has been woefully mishandled by NOAH in the past, and even the "win" he finally got over Keiji Mutoh was far from a defining or cathartic moment in his career. But he defeated Kenoh in a good match to become champion for the second time, so maybe NOAH really is FINALLY moving forw.... and his first challenger in the ancient Shrek-man Fujita, who came out and laughed in his face and poured beer on him just like he did to Nakajima 7 months earlier before easily defeating him for a pointless title reign that ended with the title being vacated for a somewhat sketchy COVID diagnosis. Please God don't let history repeat itself.

:shrug: Liv Morgan (Smackdown Women's Champion) - Most of Liv's title reign has been based on the concept that she didn't have the "killer instinct" needed for a Champion, and her trying to prove that wasn't true. With a successful title defense against Ronda Rousey's long-time friend Shayna Baszler at Clash At The Castle to prove she had that "killer" in her, Liv is now going to have to prove it for good in an Extreme Rules match against Rousey at the PPV of the same name in October.

:smugdog: Roman Reigns (WWE Champion) - Making one of his rare title defenses, Roman Reigns defeated Drew McIntyre in Drew's "home" of Cardiff, Wales at the Clash At The Castle PPV. The match went for 30 minutes and involved the "debut" of Solo Sikoa, Reigns' cousin, to interfere on his behalf since the rest of "The Bloodline" weren't allowed at ringside. Reigns won't be at the next PPV, but will be having a match at a Blood Money show in Saudi Arabia against Logan Paul in November.

Suwama (FORMER Triple Crown Champion) - Suwama walked into the Nippon Budokan as Triple Crown Heavyweight Champion with VOODOO MURDERS at his back, but walked out of Korakuen Hall the next day with not only his championship gone but at odds with his allies. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI!

Kento Miyahara (Triple Crown Champion) - There was only ever one choice for whose music should be playing to end AJPW's return to their home arena of Nippon Budokan - The Best of the Best, Kento Miyahara. With an audience of legends from AJPW's past from Kenta Kobashi to Toshiaki Kawada to Stan Hansen to Keiji Mutoh, the man entrusted with the present and future of the company overcame Suwama to once again return to the apex of the company. Then the very next day, Kento lived up to his nickname by coming out on top in another epic main event with former teammate and current basement dweller, Naoya Nomura. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI!

:science: Toni Storm (AEW Women's Champion) - With Thunder Rosa vacating the title due to upcoming surgery, it was the other half of the ThunderStorm tag team who benefited even though she'd actually been next in line for a title match anyway. Defeating Hikaru Shida, Jamie Hayter and Dr. Britt Baker DMD at All Out, Toni didn't rest on her laurels and went on to successfully defend her title in another four-way at Grand Slam - against Athena, Serena Deeb and Dr. Britt Baker DMD - though this was somewhat overshadowed by the debut of Saraya (formerly Paige in WWE) before finishing up the month with her first solo title defense, defeating Serena Deeb to retain her title.

:kingsley: Yuki Yoshioka (Open the Dream Gate Champion) - Though he had a typically (for Dragongate) busy month in multi-man matches through August and September, Yoshioka also managed his second successful title defense of the belt, beating Eita at the Dangerous Gate show in just under 25 minutes.

:yeah: (None of the Above) - If you don't know who to vote for, can't choose between options, don't like any of the options, or are just absolutely stoked about just getting to participate... why None of the Above is the option for you! Yeah!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Oct 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I voted for the "Man of Honor" Chris Jericho. The Ocho.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Higuchi vs Takeshita was awesome, but this is The Ocho's time

(you misspelled ROJ by the way)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Pylons posted:

I voted for the "Man of Honor" Chris Jericho. The Ocho.

:hfive:

Love Moxley, especially for being a rock through all the drama, but Jericho's insane mission with the ROH Title is amazing and I can't wait to see where it goes next.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Voting for CM Punk.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I voted CM Punk, who put all of Chicago on his back, beat Jon Moxley clean 1-2-3 in the center of the ring, called out bad management and bad children, beat the Young Bucks in a 2v1 handicap match and helped his friend bite out some aggression against Kenny Omega. Anyone who disagrees is likely an empty headed dumb gently caress

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Jerusalem posted:

but Jericho's insane mission with the ROH Title is amazing and I can't wait to see where it goes next.

we'll see where it goes. maybe next month. but in the meantime, it's

jjjjeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeooooooooooo-

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Voting None of the Above in honor of true legend, the pioneer of MMA....Inoki Bome ya!

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
i will never vote punk, not even for his last chance ever. :smug:

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Voted for Kento. Lot of great championship matches this month, but I thought Kento/Nomura was better than Linda/Ito, Higuchi/Takeshita and Kenoh/Kaito.

forkboy posted it in the MOTYC thread, watch it it's loving great

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

graph posted:

i will never vote punk, not even for his last chance ever. :smug:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Jericho's story sounds like it's going to be bonkers, but it's still early. Maybe next month.

I voted for Mox.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I am the one vote for Kento Miyahara. That other person must have misclicked. just kidding.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I voted for none of the above because I didn't see all the options without my glasses :negative:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

voted jericho because while mox owns a lot i am in awe of how quickly jericho actually made me care about what goes on in ROH as a whole outside of the tag and pure belts

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

SG Bamboo posted:

Voted for Kento. Lot of great championship matches this month, but I thought Kento/Nomura was better than Linda/Ito, Higuchi/Takeshita and Kenoh/Kaito.

forkboy posted it in the MOTYC thread, watch it it's loving great

Same.
Wrestler of the Year Kento Miyahara does it again baby

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Kento rules, so I'm going for him

also, jsyk jru, June's picture leads to July's results

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Venomous posted:

also, jsyk jru, June's picture leads to July's results

Thanks and fixed! 3.5 days to vote!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Voted for the man that went out jobbing out Mox.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

A day in and it is VERY close, with Jericho and Mox in equal first place and everybody else still technically in contention. Your vote can, nay MUST, make all the difference!

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

What can I say? Jericho casted a Charm Person spell on me for his crazy batshit mission of desecrating ROH, and how can I not give him anything but Champ of the Month for it? :allears:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Suwama (FORMER Triple Crown Champion) - Suwama walked into the Nippon Budokan as Triple Crown Heavyweight Champion with VOODOO MURDERS at his back, but walked out of Korakuen Hall the next day with not only his championship gone but at odds with his allies. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI!

Why would George W BUSHI sabotage SUWAMA's title reign and relationships like this?

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

This should go down to the wire as a Mox/Jericho tie, and then just flip a coin. They both deserve it, I voted Mox to bring it back to a tie, but I can completely understand Jericho voters.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

edogawa rando posted:

Why would George W BUSHI sabotage SUWAMA's title reign and relationships like this?

Suwama knows what he did. :colbert:

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

I voted for Mox on the basis of that one promo and the fact that he had to bring some meaning back to his title. But it’s so close, and the Bandido/Jericho match was better than the Juice/Mox match. But the Mox/Danielson match was better than the Claudio/Jericho match. Hard choice.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I kidded myself that with 5 AEW people up there that Kento would have a chance after having one of the best matches of the year this month but alas.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Cm punk should win because he was the most talked about and influential world champion last month. Thank you

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
this is a wild poll this month

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

A little under 2 days in, a little over 2 days to go, and it's still anybody's race, so don't forget to vote!

Penguin Patrol posted:

this is a wild poll this month

Seriously, I thought the low amount of options last month would encourage people who might otherwise be overwhelmed by poll options, but turns out we're all wet messy bitches who live for drama!

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Don't blame me, I voted for Baliyan Akki.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Numero6 posted:

Don't blame me, I voted for CM Punk.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Numero6 posted:

Don't blame me, I voted for Baliyan Akki.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Moxley should have never lost the belt. TK is a moron. Fortunately, this poll will right what went wrong, with an uninterrupted Moxley reign

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

forkboy84 posted:

I kidded myself that with 5 AEW people up there that Kento would have a chance after having one of the best matches of the year this month but alas.

:lol:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Tato posted:

Fortunately, this poll will right what went wrong, with an uninterrupted Moxley reign

inshallah

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

3 days in, 1 to go, and Moxley holds the barest sliver of a lead over Jericho who had previously held the barest sliver of a lead over him. There's still time to vote and be the change you want to see in the world!

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Kiyomiya finally wins a big match and still can't get any votes

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Benne posted:

Kiyomiya finally wins a big match and still can't get any votes

Kaito had to win it after winning the N1 but Kenoh's title run was too short. I really think Kenoh should have held the belt through to NOAH's big show in the first week of January and then have Kaito vanquish his rival/elder brother.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hey, we're getting down to the wire, so if you haven't voted... well then you should vote!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I've done my part!

It won't make a difference, as I voted for Liv Morgan for reasons that are unclear. But still.