Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Feliday Melody posted:

I wonder what Russia could offer to have Iran throw in with such a loser side.

Additional training in and weapons for skull thumping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Bar Ran Dun posted:

500 tons displacement is a boat. :colbert:

500t is the displacement of an early dreadnought era torpedo boat destroyer

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Macron wants a Nobel peace prize and will sacrifice any amount of peace needed to get it

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Torrannor posted:

And I think a lot of steel got replaced by aluminum in these years, as the refinement process made it much more affordable.

World's largest producer of both Bauxite (22% of global) and Iron Ore (36% of global)?

:australia: :smug:

In other news I went to a motorsport event over the weekend, and aside from the usual display of fighting vehicles from the ADF, almost next to them was a display of tractors, all in blue, and I felt someone made a conscious choice.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Charliegrs posted:

The tank rounds and Grad rockets are interesting. I'm assuming the tank rounds are for the Soviet/Russian tanks the Ukrainians use and Grads are a Russian designed system as well. I don't think the US produces any of these? I wonder where they are getting them from.

125mm tank rounds are for Soviet tank guns as used in the T-64, -72, and -80, western tank guns come in 105, 120, and 130mm only

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

All it takes is someone to foot the bill and Korea can churn out a K2 fleet for export pretty quickly, they're not lacking for industrial might or advanced components needed for fire control and comms

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I listened to an interview this morning that explained the hold up is entirely down to Scholz and his faction, but nobody knows for certain exactly why they're doing it

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I believe the designations is M1 Abrams is the original 80's and the A1 designation was the 90's upgrade, with the A2 as the modern super battle tank.

The M1 was the initial production run with the old 105mm gun, the A1 was from 1985 onwards with the 120mm gun, the A2 was from 1992 with other improvements, and all the seppo tanks since then have been 1999 onwards

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jan 26, 2023

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Nenonen posted:

There is evidence that Ukrainians smuggled a truckload of explosives to Kerch.

You mean there's evidence Ukrainian government forces used an improvised weapon to attack an occupier supply line inside Ukrainian territory

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

cinci zoo sniper posted:

You may have successfully spotted the joke they made, yes.

Given the posts on the last couple of pages I wasn't entirely sure the joke was intentional

Pablo Bluth posted:

Perhaps the answer is air superiority uavs of a similar low cost to an Orlan, that you kamikaze in to whatever you want to down.

The US has an affordable (notionally $5k USD per) micromissile called NAVAIR Spike, designed with this question in mind, that could be fitted to low cost medium drones for that job

e: It looks like the US has a bunch of micromissile or stuff like the Hydra rocket precision upgrade that can do the job for cheap, they just haven't put any money into buying any yet because they haven't needed any themselves yet.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jan 28, 2023

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Interestingly the next listed stop on her itinerary is Southampton, picking up something from the British on the way maybe? Doesn't exactly seem the likeliest point to switch from boat to train.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

TheRat posted:

I'm not going to try to justify the insanity that is that essay, but presumably you could use the same ancient tech that's in depth charges to blow up a non-submarine.

Depth charges explode at depths set on them prior to being dropped/fired, not by remote control

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

TheRat posted:

Sure, and the pipelines aren't moving around all too much are they? I'm not giving this as an example of what the insane person is suggesting, I'm just saying it wouldn't be all too difficult to blow up remotely?

Yeah but when it explodes the ship that dropped it won't be more than a few hundred metres away, it's hardly a conspiracy you can get away with

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Svaha posted:

The signal activated a timer.
You should read the article if you are going to critique it.

I was critiquing "why not use depth charge tech" with the exact reason why it wouldn't work. Depth charges aren't detonated by signal, they're detonated by reaching a depth preset by a sailor with a special wrench based on a pistol that fills with water at a known rate, less than a minute after dropping.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Electric Wrigglies posted:

I think diabolical maintenance was the single biggest reason for Australia to decide to rid itself of the European helicopter (Tiger attack and MRH90) fleet it only bought recently and swap to US craft (Apache and Blackhawks). Couldn't even do decent peace time maneuvers without them becoming unsustainable.

Himars has been really effective but all the chat about it seems to ignore the fact that it is a glorified Smerch with a precision kit on it on the back of a Studbaker. While US doing the targeting is a big factor, surely Russia can rectify the huge mistake in war planning in not developing a cheap precision kit for 300 mm rockets that they already have in large numbers?

We're also having problems with the Rheinmetall Boxer CRV that is replacing the ASLAV, production has barely started and it's already being delayed by reliability issues with the vehicles drive train or brakes.

Considering the same company is competing in the final stage against the South Koreans for the big IFV contract (Hanwha AS21 Redback vs Rheinmetall Lynx KF41) replacing our antiquated M113s, the overdue announcement might be more bad news for German arms manufacturers. Especially since variants of both vehicles are in the final 5 for the US Bradley replacement program.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Feb 11, 2023

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

cinci zoo sniper posted:

One big scoop from today's NATO pressers is that Russia is piling combat aircraft, both fixed wing and rotor, towards the border. That's what has been up with the recent focus on getting more air defence gear to Ukrainians, apparently, rather than the missile strikes alone. 80% of Russian combat aircraft are estimated to be in a combat-worthy shape, and western analysts speculate that they may try to run an air campaign to help the struggling land forces. https://www.ft.com/content/3fd6e91f-71e4-4c02-9360-be20a2a78763

You mean another air campaign, after the first one resulted in smoking dots of Sukhois and Kamovs all over the Ukrainian countryside

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Small White Dragon posted:

I'm not sure going way down alt history paths is that useful, even if it is fun. We might as well discuss how this war would have played out if the Third Reich still ruled west Europe.

I used to work with someone from Belarus, he said them being a small country next door to Ukraine, everybody knew the whole "Ukraine is full of Nazis" to be complete nonsense.

Doesn't Austria have a "constitutional neutrality?" I thought that was the reason they were not part of Nato etc.

That neutrality was the bargain the victorious western powers struck with Stalin for the withdrawl of the Soviet Army from Austria, as they were the ones who conquered/liberated that part of the then Reich in 1945

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Moon Slayer posted:

Confirming what we already expected, from the BBC's live feed:

To the Office of the President of the Russian Federation

We're going to Kyiv this morning.

gently caress around and find out.

From the Office of the President of the United States of America

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

WarpedLichen posted:

The Moldova/Transnistria stuff is so weird and out there. How many Russian troops can there even be in Transnistria right now? It seems like a bad time for either side to be stirring poo poo in that area while the war is going on, I can almost buy the conspiracy angle that the Moldovan government is stirring poo poo as a distraction.

Have a feeling nothing is going to happen there.

There's about 1000 Russian soldiers plus 5000 locals there that are, at best, partially mechanised with the small numbers of 60s and 70s vintage AFVs and APCs in the area. It's not enough.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Feb 23, 2023

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

All the places they point at are the same places who never supported the west during the Cold War, and it didn't make a difference to the result there, so I don't see how it's going to make much of a difference now.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Fritz the Horse posted:

Some summary or commentary is preferable to naked links

According to the guy and his sources, the Russian forces fighting near Vuhledar degraded below combat effective after multiple failed assaults and defending against Ukrainian counters. Reinforcements to push the assault forwards were ordered up from Mariupol, but they and their supply dumps were hit while assembling by new long range Ukrainian rockets, so that when they arrived they lacked the combat strength to make any difference, and now they're out of time with nothing left to move up.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

That's my city!

They're all as cooked as each other!

Fortunately I don't think we have even an anti-vaccer in state parliament here, let alone someone on the Russian payroll. It'll be forgotten by tomorrow morning.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Pablo Bluth posted:

There's at least two of them.
https://twitter.com/zloneversleep/status/1631990343888433152
I wonder if it's intended as some sort of anti-drone tool; a janky gepard without the clever stuff.

It's kinda hard to do a sneak and peak when you're over 10 feet tall

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

the holy poopacy posted:

Did Russia exhaust too many of their forces, leaving them vulnerable to counteroffensives there and elsewhere?

The answer is yes, because all assaulting forces eventually exhaust themselves, even when winning hand over fist. Knowing when to dig in and go on the defensive to rest and replenish is a lesson that was slowly learned by Soviet and Nazi alike in WW2, leading to (as one example) the first, second, third, and fourth battles of Kharkiv between 1941-1943 as the city repeatedly changed hands when offensives ebbed and counteroffensives flowed despite the overall strategic trend.

It's been going on for a month, there's been no noteworthy rotation of forces beyond feeding new units in when existing ones cease to be combat capable, and then merging successive dregs to send back in again. If they truly have no operational reserve like ISW is suggesting then another solid Kharkiv 2022-like punch should shatter Army Group South and leave the new Ukrainian mechanised units with all the space in the world to maneuver.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Mar 9, 2023

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The KF31/41 Lynx platform is really struggling to attract sales, hence the new! options!

Rheinmetall is doing so well that Germany has reportedly approached Australia to pay us $3 billion to use our local production line to build the Boxer CRV we are license building from Rheinmetall.

Just as soon as production starts up again, because the first 12 vehicles have so many technical issues they'll never be able to carry ATGMs, and the program was set back by 2 years.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Mustang posted:

These days I'm pretty sure most US infantry and scout platoons are using PSQ-20s, which use either night vision or thermals, or both at the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eWpjUOLR0w

These ENVG-Bs are even better, my old brigade was training with them a couple years ago. Wonder how many have been fielded now.

The gently caress kind of witchcraft is that :stare:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Huggybear posted:

It doesn't look like it's been mentioned but the Brits used to down V1/V2 rockets in WWII by nudging its fins with their wings. Those were not remotely piloted, of course.

V1 flying bombs, really cruise missiles (the technology to intercept a V2, a ballistic missile, did not exist before the launch sites were lost), but the difference is the fastest British fighters had to push hard to catch and stay with them, as opposed to where a Su-27 needs to slow down to near stall speed to avoid overshooting the Reaper, which I'm led believe is a lot more dangerous.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The quoted article says that two mechanised/Bradley battalions and one field artillery battalion (1400) have already completed training and are on the front lines, and that a Bradley battalion, three Stryker battalions, and another field artillery battalion plus brigade staff (2500) are about to finish training in Germany and head back to Ukraine alongside the two Patriot batteries.

Wonder where those two "mechanised" (probably with Marders rather than Bradleys) battalions and their tube buddies are right now, if they're already back

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

mobby_6kl posted:

How many will Ukraine have? I think at least 3 different calibers and way more types of each

Ukraine is running 100mm (towed AT guns), 115mm (captured T-62), 125mm (captured T-72/80/90, T-64/84), 152mm (Soviet artillery), 155mm (NATO artillery), and 203mm (Soviet artillery), and adding NATO 105mm, French 105mm, UK 120mm, and German 120mm tank guns.

Then there's the different types of MLRS (HIMARS, Grad, Smerch), a variety of IFV ammo(BMP, Marder, Bradley, Scorpion), and even small arms ammo (7.62, 5.56/5.45, .50, 9mm), all duplicated east and west.

Which is a lot, but is a result of the emergency nature of their mish mash forces.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Mar 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The French government could always refuse to grant visas to Russian athletes, coaches, and support staff, and call the IOCs bluff