Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Kerillian had some really good builds, the halberd was a really strong choice on her that didn't get a lot of play probably because it didn't match the feel people had for her. In my friend group our Elf main was dual daggers and went all in on her ultimate, so we ended up just completely ignoring bosses because even on Champion difficulty he could drop two backstabs and just instantly murder a Rat Ogre or Bile Troll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Kaldaris posted:

I'm level 14, what level would you recommend going from 2 to 3? I tried 3 at level 11 and holy poo poo did it slap my rear end, where as tier 2 missions felt like a snoozefest at times.

15 is where your third feat comes online and you're doing to see them finally synergize in a good way. On psyker I'm a lot stronger now because I'm randomly getting warp stacks on enemy kills from my whole team.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Orv posted:

There’s a lot of decisions in the game that the more I play the more it feels like this game is both rushed and way way behind where they wanted to be and I suspect a major reworking at some point in its development.

The game definitely feels very unfinished with several parts just seem straight up missing They promised a more narrative experience and even did a big trailer with Dan Abnett last year which made me very excited. In practice there's absolutely no story apart from a few introductionary cutscenes that are weirdly spread out, and the actual missions are just a randomly generated set with no connection.

It feels like what they wanted to do was seasonal or even weekly "themes" where you have an overall objective and each mission feeds into that and culminates in a big boss mission for a bigger reward. In fact a lot of the mission system is underbaked and there was a very obvious duct tape fix from the first beta, where there wasn't even partial credit for picking up one scripture or grimoire. Exiting a mission with all grims or scripts should be a set reward of an extra item drop instead of just 500xp or whatever.

They also straight up removed the crafting system without any communication about why or when its coming back. I feel like the progression system is the worst part of Vermintide they just straight up copy pasted over. You level up and get new weapons but until you hit level 30 none of it actually matters because nothing you pick lasts more than a few missions before you replace it.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Power sword for veteran just seems like a no brainer, it's the single best option because it has an incredible cleave and it's active not only cleaves better but also ignores armor so it works on elites too.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

terrorist ambulance posted:

Lol cmon fatshark. I mentioned earlier in the thread that I like the axe for psyker, there's in fact three axes with different move sets that all look and are named very similarly. I honestly may have never noticed if they didn't all show up in the shop at once

I’ve seen combat and tactical axes. What’s the third one?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I shoot all the drat time. That ammo raid map with the security gate you have to defend? You bet I'm emptying my las rifle into the mob as they come from the hall and up the stairs, because every basic zombie I kill before they get to the main line is less pressure I have to deal with when I pull out my axe. Ammo is plentiful enough and most of my groups have a psyker anyway so there's less competition.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Fishstick posted:

Theres a bunch of level 20+'s just chain running level 2 difficulty missions because its barely a challenge and you can crank them out in like 15 minutes, the contracts system is kind of stupid in that it requires a ridiculous amount of missions done as a weekly which incentivizes just picking short missions (Manpart/Horn of Magnus all over again).

My main issue with the mission system is that it feels like a complete downgrade from established systems, lots of people bring up Deeprock and they're 100% right. Secondary missions are a complete afterthought and very clearly display a mentality of "well Vermitide had these so we should too". A month ago during the beta you didn't even get partial credit for 1 grim.

What should have been done is some kind of basic reward where if you exit with all 3 scriptures or both grims you get an extra item drop reward, the most basic incentive. What makes it worse is that 3 scriptures is like 480xp and 2 grims are 760xp? But grims are an order of magnitude worse to do in terms of risk, for barely 300 extra xp?

In fact my main assumption about the mission system was that there would be a daily and weekly "raid" type mission that you would be working towards as you play. An unlockable challenge mission that you earned progress for as you completed missions on the map.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Difficulty 4 seems “fine” even with people in the early 20s of levels but a bad spawn can totally screw you there. I think 4 is definitely a difficulty that’s scaled for a party at level 30 and ideally with a good weapon set. Attempting it before that will be frustrating but I’m not really concerned about it because it’s definitely the endgame set. Difficulty 5 was only ever a sweaty nerd proposition in V2 when you had max rolled items.

Something that’s super useful is stamina and wounds on your relics. Also stacking health is very helpful, but I don’t know what later relics give because all mine are still blue.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

My main and completely justified worry is that the new content timeline is gonna make Valheim look good.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Did they nerf Counterfire? It doesn't reset the duration when you shoot highlighted scab shooters.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Orv posted:

It's been broken the whole time, they know about it and it should be in the next patch.

Oh okay, I thought it was weird that it works fine in the psychana.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I've come to the unfortunate conclusion that the Ogryn shield is useless on hazard 4 and above. In a game this aggressive you always have to be killing poo poo and the shield is a passive weapon that doesn't contribute to that.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Dunno if this has been posted yet, but here's a website that collates weapon traits and gives a range of available percentages. It also implies the power sword cleave is bugged because there's a trait that specifically boosts energized cleaves.

https://darktide.gameslantern.com/

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The toughness bug is apparently now live on Gamepass.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Fishstick posted:

I swear the daemonhost does something to pubbie brains. A whole game of poo poo to stab and shoot, and one enemy in the whole map you can't

Just walk around. I know you can tank it as ogryn, very impressive. Now everyone has 2 bars of corruption and no ammo for zero reward, just in time for a fresh horde. Good job.

Just venting after a second game where a completely avoidable daemonhost chipped enough of everyone's health and resources to make the next difficulty spike a failure event.

It's sort of poorly tuned atm. On difficulty 1-2 it fucks off after killing one person, on 3 it kills two people before leaving. I think killing two should only happen on 4-5.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

:sickos:

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 14, 2022

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Cognac McCarthy posted:

You couldn't have universal shop inventory because that would mean allowing low-level characters to buy 380-rated weapons, which would basically defeat the purpose of leveling up outside of a few specific weapon unlocks and feats. You could have shared inventory across characters, though.

Weapons have level requirements.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I don't mind going through some of the same areas from different directions or even seeing it from a skybridge as you cross because it gives a sense of scale and that you're actually fighting for the hive city rather than isolated locations. I like a bunch of the set piece areas that missions have but they could do with a few more inbetween rather than the finale.

I think a large part of the map design is also built around the idea of some randomly generated segments like the chaos wastes. The airlocks are clearly for dumping memory on consoles but they can also double as a place where you can exit into any locale or location they have on file.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'm bad, or my items are bad, or my builds are bad because I can't do Aurics reliably (it's me, I'm bad). So I'm trying to get some endgame weapons finished on my psyker and the loot roulette is such a loving chore.