Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Grüße aus Berlin!

Ever since I moved here I’ve just had too little time to really watch pro wrestling. Been busy with being a stressed-out mess in the beginning of my time here and also obsessing over plastic miniature mechs. Also, I’ve just kind of been burned out on following pro wrestling intensively this year.

HOWEVER, as anyone who’s ever attended a show will know, live pro wrestling is a totally different matter!!! I’ve gone to Berlin’s own German Wrestling Federation’s event every month here and have come to the conclusion that it’s some really loving good wrestling. Varied, quality talent, hard-hitting style, classic angles that make sense and have just the right amount of out-of-the-ring drama. They have wrestlers that could be stars anywhere in the world and I would love for YOU to see them pounding rear end, with me.

On Sunday is their final event of the year, Final Countdown 2022. I was going to go but I got the loving COVID for the first time ever. Mostly feel OK now but I don’t want to risk anyone by going to the event, so I’ll be sitting on my rear end at home watching the livestream instead. Because, as it happens, GWF livestreams every event they do - for free on YouTube! And it's very professional as well! So, whether you’re in North America and have a chilled-out Sunday afternoon at home waiting for you or perhaps you’re in Europe with nothing to do on a Sunday evening, why not join me in watching some rear end whoopings emanating directly from the most Berlin city in the world, Berlin?

GERMAN WRESTLING FEDERATION: FINAL COUNTDOWN 2022 / DECEMBER 18

SHOW START: 18:00 German time / 17:00 UTC / 12:00 EST
GWF YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/WrestlingGWF
Stream: https://youtu.be/wKg4gSaVEWw

CARD

As has been announced thus far on Facebook… It’s a bit weird, the card seems to be lacking some big names, so I think either more will be announced shortly before the show or perhaps there will be some surprise matches during the evening. There are certainly some people I’d be sad not to see on Sunday.

MAIN EVENT

WINNER TAKES ALL! GWF WORLD TITLE VS GWF BERLIN TITLE
Pascal Spalter (GWF World Champion) vs Erkan Sulcani (GWF Berlin Champion)

The last event, Legacy 27, was a momentous one. Not only did the beloved multi-time GWF World Champion Pascal Spalter defeat the hated previous champion Toni Harting to grab the title for the fourth time (Spalter being the only man to hold the belt more than once!), but the divisive but charismatic Erkan Sulcani was also able to beat the dominant Belgian Warmachine Mike D. Vecchio for the Berlin Championship. Not to mention that a mere few months earlier Sulcani also dominated GWF’s equivalent to the Royal Rumble, the Battlefield match, a second time in his career. Now these two are on a collision course that will end in a match that is sure to change everything in GWF - for WINNER TAKES ALL!

These two have faced each other in singles action a mere seven times before, the last time being all the way back in 2016. The statistics favour the current World Champion Spalter with his four victories to three, but Erkan Sulcani is not the man he used to be all those years back. He has since won his fair share of titles and joined Blutsbrüder, a group of hell bastards led by the biggest hell bastard in Germany himself, John Klinger, and has likely learned more under his tutelage than Spalter could ever expect. Meanwhile, the champion Spalter has earned all of his world championship titles during the time between these two matches and will be more cunning than the last time they met, so Sulcani can’t take him lightly either. The divided crowd likes to chant that Erkan can do both everything and nothing at all, and it’s his time to show the people chanting the former have it right. (This is a play on his name, Erkan - “er kann” means “he can” in German, the crowds chant “Erkan alles / Erkan gar nichts”, which means “he can do everything / he can’t do anything”)

This will almost certainly be an excellent match between two fantastic wrestlers, with stakes that indicate that the end result might dictate the direction of the promotion for the foreseeable future. I am hyped as hell for it.

NO.1 CONTENDER MATCH FOR THE GWF WORLD TITLE

Crowchester vs Metehan

A never-before-seen match between two fan-favourites, the questionably named but unquestionably talented flipsman Crowchester meets a returning hometown hero and former Berlin champion, Metehan. Metehan has nearly ten years of in-ring time over his fresher opponent, but will experience alone overcome Crowchester’s reckless high-flying antics?

Metehan made his return in the Battlefield match a few months to a rapturous reaction and seems to be a strong all-around wrestler, while the likeable Crowchester wows the crowd in each and every one of his matches with his stunts. These two are certain to try to tear the house down, so this match will definitely be one to watch out for.

GWF WOMEN’S CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH

Kara (c) vs Michelle Green

The green Kara was able to overcome the odds and tough out a ten-woman battle royale at the last event to grab her first-ever title from the previous champion, Mila Smidt. Due to the nature of the match, however, it could be said it was a fluke win for her. Now it’s time for her real first test in the form of a singles match. Facing her will be the also not-in-name-only-green Michelle Green, a young woman from Switzerland who, with her mere 1 year in the business, is very inexperienced but apparently has some very impressive training pedigree in the form of Thunder Rosa and Jazz.

The women’s division has yet to impress me so I don’t know if I can expect much from these two. At least they can’t be much worse than the previous couple of women’s title singles matches that always ended up in the already-dead crowd being deflated even more with gently caress finishes. Hope these two get some time to shine!

SINGLES MATCH

Fast Time Moodo vs Tim Stübing (w/Ibo Latino)

No one likes Tim. No one likes Tim! That’s how the German crowd serenades Tim Stübing every single time he shows his face. And when his manager “No Gimmick Needed” (yes, really) Ibo Latino dares grab the mic, they try their hardest to boo him out of the building. I have to admit, I do not know what the clearly incredibly talented young wrestler has done to earn himself this ire, but I do enjoy the hell out of it. It also helps that he’s really loving good in the ring - they don’t call him the Future of Catch for nothing. On the other hand, I have absolutely zero idea what the fresh hell a “Fast Time Moodo” is. I hope he is good. If he’s anywhere near Stübing’s level, this will be a technical clinic.

SINGLES MATCH

John Klinger vs Joshua Amaru

They call him the most dangerous man of European wrestling, 100% Badness - John Klinger is basically the big evil of German pro wrestling. Nearly 20 years of experience in the ring, a brutal powerhouse style that doesn’t shy away from ruthless cheating at opportune times, once holding GWF World Title for over 900 days… the ultimate bastard biker John Klinger is a nearly impossible obstacle for just about anyone. The only way he could be an even more intimidating opponent would be if he was itching to beat your very specific rear end. As happens to be the case, he does very much intend to beat the rear end of his opponent, Joshua Amaru. See, Amaru is basically responsible for Klinger losing both his tag championship as well as his shot at the vacant titles at the last show. Well, that’s how Klinger sees it, anyway. The young, inexperienced Amaru has perhaps the most daunting challenge of his short career in front of him. A pissed-off Klinger is one (very bad) thing, but who’s to say his rear end in a top hat Blutbrüder friends won’t be there to try to ruin his already minuscule chances?

Klinger has definitely convinced me seeing him just a few times and Amaru seems like a decent young talent as well, although I’ve yet to see him in singles action. This should be a cool veteran vs young, mostly unproven talent sort of match!

SINGLES MATCH

Aytac Bahar vs Heisenberg

The young Aytac Bahar seems to have had a great year in 2022. He was able to win his first gold in the form of the tag team championship and has impressed in other bouts as well, most recently in a match against Crowchester - against whom he lost, but not without a proper fight. Perhaps he didn’t have his mind in the right place due to his former partner, Cem Kaplan, trying to mess with him. He will, however, need to concentrate on his opponent only on Sunday - the massive Heisenberg will not care for his feelings and will yeet him into the sun at the first opportunity. Will Aytac be able to show enough heart to slay a monster, or is he still reeling from his tag partnership gone bad?

Heisenberg seems like one of a hundred lovely immobile monsters, but I was positively surprised by him at the last event where he impressed in - of all things - a match that most probably expected to be a comedy match. Aytac is a good young powerhouse kind of guy and I’m hopeful that this match might just be an enjoyable one!

ALSO APPEARING

“The Axeman” Axel Tischer (FKA Alexander Wolfe)

Having lost the title in June, this former world champion has been seething having to see everyone but him get a turn with the title. You can be sure that he will not hesitate to target whoever comes out on top in the main event. But does he have something darker in mind?

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Dec 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I was trying to work out where I recognised Klinger from & of course, he's Bad Bones!

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

I was trying to work out where I recognised Klinger from & of course, he's Bad Bones!

Indeed he is. I assume he’s made that name famous outside of GWF? He’s been on the scene for decades but I wasn’t aware of him until I came here :shobon:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

a cyborg mug posted:

Indeed he is. I assume he’s made that name famous outside of GWF? He’s been on the scene for decades but I wasn’t aware of him until I came here :shobon:

He was a regular in WXW a decade ago or so, there's a fun Kenta Kobashi & Go Shiozaki vs Bad Bones & Big Van Walter match, and a decade later he was the 3rd man in a real great 3 way with Ilja & Walter at 16 Carat, Ilja's shock return from injury and the pop is one of those that is wedged in my brain. Match is probably one of the better 3 ways too but that pop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpMuOIYF1w8

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

He was a regular in WXW a decade ago or so, there's a fun Kenta Kobashi & Go Shiozaki vs Bad Bones & Big Van Walter match, and a decade later he was the 3rd man in a real great 3 way with Ilja & Walter at 16 Carat, Ilja's shock return from injury and the pop is one of those that is wedged in my brain. Match is probably one of the better 3 ways too but that pop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpMuOIYF1w8

I’ll need to track both of those matches down. Kobashi/Shiozaki vs Walter/Klinger sounds like some alternate universe poo poo

Man imagine someone coming out to that sort of entrance music and look today. I uh don’t think the reception would be quite like that.

Anyway the show is on in two and a half hours, hope someone joins me! The stream is already up and it seems like they won’t be showing the kickoff part. No biggie, that’s usually just a couple of throwaway undercard matches anyway. If you’ve read this and are interested in dipping in to see one of the matches, I’ll post here whenever a particular match is about to begin

https://youtu.be/wKg4gSaVEWw

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Dec 18, 2022

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

metehan has sharks eyes which i am a fan of. i hope he does well. john klinger's image appears to have heavy drawn editing done to it which leads me to believe he is extremely vain and insecure which i am a fan of. thank you

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

They lied and started the stream early enough for the kickoff!

https://youtu.be/wKg4gSaVEWw

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

First preshow match is a singles match between Blutsbrüder member Tarkan Aslan vs Bennet Brown

Tarkan Aslan has a clean look compared to before. His opponent is the other half of the tag team with Joshua Amaru who caused Blutsbrüder to lose the tag championships and the shot at the vacant titles. Not expecting too much out of this match but could turn into a big ol brawl with all these people ringside

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
all my work from home meetings cancelled, gonna watch some germans, that guy got beat by a basic ddt and a pretty slow cover

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Sure was some preshow stuff

Second match is a three-way tag team match with the Iranians Nima & Sorani, Tommy Jr & Daniel Perez ( some v new talent) and the really bad Big Nik plus… who?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

As you can see, no one wants to see Big Nik, and that’s because he sucks bad

Previous world champion Toni Harting, who Bik Nik is the valet for, is not here today. Unfortunate because he is fantastic

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Penguin Patrol posted:

all my work from home meetings cancelled, gonna watch some germans, that guy got beat by a basic ddt and a pretty slow cover

Welcome friend :)

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Oh cool Georges Khoukaz, I’ve seen this guy live in Finland as well. As far as these big tall guys go, he’s alright and definitely several leagues above fuckin Big Nik

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

The crowd likes to show their affection for Big Nik by chanting ”Nik ist Scheiße”. I’m sure you know exactly what it means

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
that's a really good beard

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Khoukaz, more like coolkaz

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

What seems to be tradition, the owner and founder of GWF, Ahmed Chaer does a little preshow speech. Main show likely will happen in 5-ish mins

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

The first proper match will be everyone’s favorite Tim Stübing vs Fast Time Moodo, whoever the hell that is! This will be technical showdown I’m sure!

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

”Keiner mag den Tim!” = ”No one likes Tim!”

As mentioned in the OP, I’m not sure why people hate this guy but it’s fun

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Bit of a weak finish but both of these guys are v good

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Huh, a mixed tag

Oh, it’s Axel Tischer and Loky! As far as the women go, Loky is pretty decent and people like her. Axel Tischer didn’t spend time in NXT UK for nothing, he’s very good

Vs Rambo and Lina. Both are probably OK, nothing particularly amazing

Weird matchup but alright

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

That was a sick DDT from Lina not gonna lie

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
yeah that was a fun little match

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Axel Tischer has fallen far from being the world champion just a few months ago. No idea what they’re doing with him

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Penguin Patrol posted:

yeah that was a fun little match

It was a lot better than I expected, Rambo and Lina are cool :)

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
this kaplan guy seems very satisfied with himself in this entrance video

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Another unannounced match, it’s the really not very good Cem Kaplan vs Ronaldo Shaqiri, one half of the tag champions

What I really like about GWF is that it reflects the multicultural nature of Berlin. So much young talent from especially Turkey and Middle-Eastern countries.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Hmm, the graphic is showing a tag match? Maybe it wa ssupposed to be one but someone wasn’t able to make it

I haven’t paid attention to the commentary so not sure if it’s been talked about

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Perfectly serviceable match between two guys with abysmal ratings on Cagematch

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Oh poo poo it’s time for this one

Tune in now if you want to see what’ll likely be a badass match

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I learned that Metehan was also in NXT UK as Teoman. Maybe someone who watched NXT UK (lol) can tell me if he was good there

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

let's go nick mullen

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
malakai beak

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I will absolutely never get over the name Crowchester god fuckin damnit

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

"crowchester" sounds like a british town that would get announced on the train PA and id have to stifle a giggle

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

People went nuts when Metehan returned a few months ago but it’s obvious the crowd wants nothing more than ~Crowchester~

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Crowchester is the definition of indie flipsman and hell you gotta respect that

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

that flip in the corner lmao

gotta bring crowchester across the ocean, dpw gonna book him and he's gonna tear the roof off Durham County Fairground Building C or whatever

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

abraham linksys posted:

that flip in the corner lmao

It’s absurd how unnecessary it was

The Crowchester effect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I hope I do not need to type or say ”Crowchester” for a while

Metehan with a very heelish attitude in this match, interesting