Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Hello Everyone!

Post itt whenever you appreciate having coffee on a Monday morning*

*Monday morning is completely subjective; I have had some crazy rear end Monday mornings at 3am on a Saturday

I'm enjoying a hazelnut from the local bagel store, not really into flavored coffee but this one is weirdly hitting the spot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Old school pot of coffee, almond milk, and non-alcoholic vanilla, all in my No Drama Llama 20oz mug. Couldn't be happier.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

BigHead posted:

Old school pot of coffee, almond milk, and non-alcoholic vanilla, all in my No Drama Llama 20oz mug. Couldn't be happier.

:haibrower:

I have my old standby

- half-caf (preferably one brand, but local stores almost never carry it, so I usually buy Peets or something that has a medium roast in regular and decaf and mix them 50/50)
- 2 scoops collagen powder
- 1 scoop fruit fiber stuff
- a dash of agave

Fill my 24oz RTIC cup to the brim.

The half-caf is nice - i'm alert but not murderous, and I have :airquote: room :airquote: for more caffeine if I want to grab a small coffee later in the morning (like I did with the hazelnut I'm tipping back r/n)

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Got to put some whiskey in the coffee.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

:coffeepal:

I only drink coffee black, and these days I only drink decaf. Actually I do drink caffeinated coffee when I need to focus on something important, but that never happens at work.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

finishing my first cup right now, black, aeropressed in a little white tea cup

it's just some preground stuff from the grocery store, but pretty good

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
buddy of mine owns the cafe/roastery just down the road and he sells me the good poo poo for $10/lb

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Got to put some whiskey in the coffee.

no beber mas alcohol de diez anos :shrug:

Prof. Crocodile posted:

:coffeepal:

I only drink coffee black, and these days I only drink decaf. Actually I do drink caffeinated coffee when I need to focus on something important, but that never happens at work.

:coffeepal::hf::coffeepal:

I split the difference with half-caf, with the option to go fully loaded for things I care about (road trips, hobbies). Absolutely not work :colbert:

Wish more companies offered a half-caf option :sigh:

Bad Purchase posted:

finishing my first cup right now, black, aeropressed in a little white tea cup

it's just some preground stuff from the grocery store, but pretty good

I'm a coffee ignoramus - whats the difference between an aeropress/french press and regular drip coffee?

Empty Sandwich posted:

buddy of mine owns the cafe/roastery just down the road and he sells me the good poo poo for $10/lb

:same: I just rarely buy his stuff. Its insanely good and a good price, but its more like a blonde roast and has more caffeine than a Monster... I had two cups once and felt like I was having a panic attack :okpos:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Ah, nice large mocha latte to start the day :keke:

Vampire Panties posted:

no beber mas alcohol de diez anos :shrug:

¿DIEZ anos? :gonk:

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I'm getting into coffee. It doesn't take much to overcaffinate me...like say I drink 2 cups one day. Two days later I'll wake up at 1AM and be unable to sleep.

It's nice to know I have it as an option if I need a pick me up. I don't want to become, whats the word? Acclimated? Develop a tolerance to it? Anyway so I try to drink responsibly and judge if I truly need it. A utilitarian approach.

But I like the taste too! I dont know when to say "ah yes this has a most nutty flavor" but I do know when I like it. Today I made a pot at work and it tasted like poo poo. I dont know why or what I did wrong but I could tell it tasted bad. I am developing something of a palate.

I bought a bag of decaf to make at home. I've only used it once but it was pretty decent

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I had some Ben and Jerry's dirt poo poo and had to cleam out the parent's drawer from crumbles.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I'm getting into coffee. It doesn't take much to overcaffinate me...like say I drink 2 cups one day. Two days later I'll wake up at 1AM and be unable to sleep.

It's nice to know I have it as an option if I need a pick me up. I don't want to become, whats the word? Acclimated? Develop a tolerance to it? Anyway so I try to drink responsibly and judge if I truly need it. A utilitarian approach.

But I like the taste too! I dont know when to say "ah yes this has a most nutty flavor" but I do know when I like it. Today I made a pot at work and it tasted like poo poo. I dont know why or what I did wrong but I could tell it tasted bad. I am developing something of a palate.

I bought a bag of decaf to make at home. I've only used it once but it was pretty decent

What brand did you go with? I bought a big bag of Mayorga decaf beans off amazon and its not bad. A lot of the other ones I've tried are more obviously decaf tasting, but I think dark roast helps disguise it

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I also had to :airquote: teach :airquote: myself coffee. Autodidactical coffee.

Its also extremely easy to build up an insane caffeine tolerance and just gently caress up your world with drinking unmitigated amounts of coffee.

Re: coffee tasting bad, you possibly made it too strong / put too much coffee grounds in (or the coffee at work was stale garbage :gonk:) I read somewhere that the proper ratio is something like 1 tablespoon of ground coffee for every 6-8oz of water.

EDIT

decaf coffee tastes worse than regular coffee because of the process most producers use to decaffienate it. Also roasting takes the caffiene out of coffee (i.e. a blonde roast has wayyy more caffiene than a dark roast) so most producers only bother with decaf'ing dark roast stuff. AFAIK trying to decaf a light roast just fucks the beans up :shrug:

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Two table spoons per cup. That's when you taste the difference in beans.

(not really, you are just hyper and your colon wants to drip)

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

What brand did you go with? I bought a big bag of Mayorga decaf beans off amazon and its not bad. A lot of the other ones I've tried are more obviously decaf tasting, but I think dark roast helps disguise it

Dunkin' Decaf, Medium Roast. I am familiar with Dunkin (I get their iced coffee once in a while) so I went with them! In general I do think I like dark roast more than light, though

Vampire Panties posted:

I also had to :airquote: teach :airquote: myself coffee. Autodidactical coffee.

Its also extremely easy to build up an insane caffeine tolerance and just gently caress up your world with drinking unmitigated amounts of coffee.

Re: coffee tasting bad, you possibly made it too strong / put too much coffee grounds in (or the coffee at work was stale garbage :gonk:) I read somewhere that the proper ratio is something like 1 tablespoon of ground coffee for every 6-8oz of water.

EDIT

decaf coffee tastes worse than regular coffee because of the process most producers use to decaffienate it. Also roasting takes the caffiene out of coffee (i.e. a blonde roast has wayyy more caffiene than a dark roast) so most producers only bother with decaf'ing dark roast stuff. AFAIK trying to decaf a light roast just fucks the beans up :shrug:

I used the same formula I've used before...10 cups of water, 3 heaping scoops of coffee. I can't speak for the age of the coffee used, though we go through it fairly often so I can't imagine it being THAT old. :shrug: The pot got emptied, so someone drank it lol

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Tea 4 lyfe!

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Dunkin' Decaf, Medium Roast. I am familiar with Dunkin (I get their iced coffee once in a while) so I went with them! In general I do think I like dark roast more than light, though

I used the same formula I've used before...10 cups of water, 3 heaping scoops of coffee. I can't speak for the age of the coffee used, though we go through it fairly often so I can't imagine it being THAT old. :shrug: The pot got emptied, so someone drank it lol

honestly that sounds like the right ratio AFAIK :shrug:

Also never underestimate someone else's ability to drink absolute poo poo coffee. There's some crazy trucker coffee in Russia they drink with lemons? :dafuq:

Saalkin posted:

Tea 4 lyfe!

:hfive: I also drink a disturbing amount of decaf iced tea. One interesting thing is Starbucks black iced tea either did or does have more caffiene than a regular Red Bull. Maybe i'll make a Monday Afternoon Tea Appreciation Station?

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Vampire Panties posted:

:same: I just rarely buy his stuff. Its insanely good and a good price, but its more like a blonde roast and has more caffeine than a Monster... I had two cups once and felt like I was having a panic attack :okpos:

I've learned that while I like good coffee I don't like it to be too good. they're master roasters but I prefer the French and espresso, and I'll let it air out a bit. always black, though.

they've got one of these but older and in a less twee location and also it doesn't look as much like HR Giger's toilet:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i put splenda in my coffee BITCH

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

If you're getting into coffee, get a quality burr grinder. Do not ever purchase a blade grinder. Get a nice drip machine too, one that blooms the coffee grounds at the start of the brew cycle. Blooming is just brewing a small amount of coffee first to degas the beans of the nastier chemicals that will make it taste like poo poo. Buy high quality beans from small roasters (or subscribe to something like Trade.) Then dial in your grind and amount of beans until you find something that tastes good to you.

Then get a pour over. Then get a french press. Then an espresso machine. :getin:

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Saalkin posted:

Tea 4 lyfe!

:yeah:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Saalkin posted:

Tea 4 lyfe!

I'm all about Irish breakfast tea. It feels like the coffee-est tea.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

White monster for the win!

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Vampire Panties posted:

I'm a coffee ignoramus - whats the difference between an aeropress/french press and regular drip coffee?

not that much difference. i don't have a french press, but from what i understand it's the same concept as an aeropress. one difference might be that with aeropress you typically (though don't have to) use a paper filter so you should end up with less sediment and oil in the coffee than with a french press. an aeropress is also a single serving device whereas a french press can be bigger.

i like the aeropress because it's the easiest way to make a single cup of coffee i've tried - very quick to use and clean up.

drip coffee is a little slower and doesn't use any pressure to send the water through grounds, just gravity. still tastes fine to me, and i used to have one in my office at work when i drank more coffee because i could make multiple cups at once and keep it warm for a couple hours.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Yeah I’ll cop a cuppa in the AM

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They put an open arcing terawatt duty cycle on the pole next to my house for 3 hours every Monday morning so I’m usually p jittery.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
It is wednesday and thing could crumble some beans.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
bought a new cone for my Bodum, immediately shattered the Bodum, reverted to a ceramic pourover (previously also broken; glazed back together in the kiln)

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
When I was in college the campus coffee shop was called Freudian Sip lol get it?

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Cause you would sip the coffee

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Nooner posted:

When I was in college the campus coffee shop was called Freudian Sip lol get it?

i dont get it :( :( :(

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
And also want to gently caress it or something, idk

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Empty Sandwich posted:

bought a new cone for my Bodum, immediately shattered the Bodum, reverted to a ceramic pourover (previously also broken; glazed back together in the kiln)

im just going to assume you are so into coffee you bought the kiln to fix your coffee gear

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Nooner posted:

my alma mater was in the verge of naming the library cafe Summa Cum Latte until the plan went viral

20 Blunts posted:

im just going to assume you are so into coffee you bought the kiln to fix your coffee gear

it saved me $10!

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Banged out a good cuppa this morning :coffeepal:

Still on vacation, still in vacation mode, vibe is not work but I checked my emails, tons of work for me next week but I shan't speculate now!

Empty Sandwich posted:

my alma mater was in the verge of naming the library cafe Summa Cum Latte until the plan went viral

it saved me $10!

:hmmno: Missed a golden opportunity to name it Sippa Cum Latte :cumpolice:

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
2023 vampire panties sounds like an rear end in a top hat, gently caress 'em and slam another cup of joe :getin:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

thinking about quitting coffee. i don't know why. it's just another habit i guess. anyone try this?

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

thinking about quitting coffee. i don't know why. it's just another habit i guess. anyone try this?

I’m gonna see how long I can not blink for. Then I’m gonna hold in my farts. :haibrow:

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Long-rear end post holiday Starbucks line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Szyznyk posted:

Long-rear end post holiday Starbucks line.

The consolidated “wife won’t make you coffee” xmas walk of shame. :boehner: