Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Champion for December, 2022?
This poll is closed.
:judas: Chris Jericho (FORMER ROH World Champion) 5 7.46%
:megaman: Claudio Castagnoli (ROH World Champion) 5 7.46%
:hayter: Jamie Hayter (AEW Women's Champion) 31 46.27%
:smug: MJF (AEW Champion) 5 7.46%
:kingsley: Yuki Yoshioka (Open the Dream Gate Champion) 1 1.49%
:murder: Nick Gage (GCW Champion) 3 4.48%
:pilot:Josh Alexander (Impact World Champion) 2 2.99%
:byodame: Ronda Rousey (FORMER Smackdown Women's Champion) 1 1.49%
:troll: Charlotte Flair (Smackdown Women's Champion) 0 0%
Syuri (FORMER World of Stardom Champion) 7 10.45%
Giulia (World of Stardom Champion) 3 4.48%
:greenangel: Athena (ROH Women's Champion) 1 1.49%
:axe: Baliyan Akki (Super Asia Champion) 0 0%
:baby: El Lindaman (G-REX Champion) 0 0%
:killdozer: Hiroyo Matsumoto (FORMER Beyond the Sea Champion) 0 0%
:black101: Arisa Nakajima (Beyond the SEA Champion) 0 0%
:thatsrad: Kazusada Higuchi (KO-D Openweight Champion) 1 1.49%
:toot: None of the Above 2 2.99%
Total: 67 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

"WELL GEE GOLLY MISTER THERE'S NO POINT IN VOTING MY ONE VOTE SURELY COULDN'T MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE!" blurted out the imbecile, the moron, the jackass whose "friends" point and laugh at them behind their back and whose parents softly weep in their beds at night knowing they raised a non-voter. In November, a paltry 59 people voted in the poll, and the result was.... a tie! Yes, your one vote (you know who you are) made all the difference, and while Chris Jericho made it two in a row, it's a win he had to share with Jame Hayter. Jamie Hayter's own first ever win of a monthly poll was shared with Chris Jericho. Because you, yes YOU, didn't vote! Were you happy? Is that how you get your sick kicks? That's monstrous, you're a monster, how could you? HOW COULD YOU!?!

Eligible Champions are chosen on a combination of accessibility, prestige/notoriety and by overwhelming popular request. For promotions where lengthy periods of time pass with no title defenses, promos, appearances, shows etc those champions will be dropped from the poll for that period only, then return when once again relevant - for instance, Bianca Belair (Raw Women's), Jordynne Grace (Impact), KAIRI (New Japan/Stardom), Kaito Kiyomiya (NOAH), Kento Miyahara (All Japan), Roman Reigns (WWE), Switchblade Jay White (New Japan) & Yuka Sakazaki (TJPW) did not defend their titles this month and are temporarily removed from the poll. The ROH Women's Champion has been added to the poll for a test run as a regular part of the poll. The monthly "None of the Above" option is a valid potential "winner" and has "won" the poll in the past, feel free to use this as a protest vote if you so wish.

Now onto the eligible contenders for the month just gone. Feel free to make an argument for/against any particular champion you think does/doesn't deserve the votes of other posters in this thread.

:judas: Chris Jericho (FORMER ROH World Champion) - Eight times WASN'T the charm! He had 8 matches in his title reign, two against Claudio, and while the first he won, the eighth he lost. It was a shame to see it end, but it had to, and the 8th was the perfect time to do it. A lot will continue to build out of that reign, not least of which is likely to be the crowd gleefully screaming,"OCHO!" during counts for some time to come. Jericho continued his long tradition of adapting, evolving, reinventing himself and keeping himself fresh and exciting to watch. Hell, his "tune-up match with a jobber" after his loss set the scene for amazing stuff to come in his post-title career, but that's for the future. Today is your chance, if you wish, to show your love to Chris Jericho one more time.

:megaman: Claudio Castagnoli (ROH World Champion) - Vindication! Threatened with being forced to join the Jericho Appreciation Society, to have to do "Sports Entertainment" bullshit again, and - perhaps most worrying of all - team up with Jake Hager.... Claudio instead figured out a escape clause... he could just be very strong at the problem instead! At ROH's Final Battle, Claudio restored honor to the title as he fought and defeated Chris Jericho, and best of all did it in the most humiliating (for Jericho) and cool (for us, the fans) fashion possible, by Giant Swinging him for so long that Jericho had to tap out! A perfect "entertaining" ending for the Sports ENNAH-TAINAH! champion, a perfect start for Claudio's second reign as Champion of a promotion he may have once thought he would NEVER be champion of, let alone twice, let alone at a time when people are actually extremely interested in watching it again!

:hayter: Jamie Hayter (AEW Women's Champion) - She may have shared the honors last month, but in December Hayter made it clear she intends to be #1 in the ring and not share that limelight, a lesson that Dr. Britt Baker DMD may soon learn if she isn't careful. Hayter and former Champion Hikaru Shida had a WAR in the ring, one of the best women's matches in AEW History, driving fans insane and leading to a standing ovation (and an awakening of some kind for one fan in particular), and though none can doubt that Shida is incredible, it was Hayter who won the match, and she wasn't being carried at all, she really is just that loving good.

:smug: MJF (AEW Champion) - He may have won the match, but the psychic scars may never heal for MJF after Ricky Starks EVISCERATED him on the mic in the build-up to their Winner Takes All match. MJF wasn't just in danger of losing his beloved Dynamite Diamond Ring, but his AEW Title as well. Instead, thanks to a wonderful little invention called cheating, MJF was able to retain the belt, though his victory over Ricky couldn't really be savored as he proceeded to run for the hills when Bryan Danielson came after him, still seeking vengeance for MJF's assault of William Regal that saw Bryan's mentor leave AEW to return to Vice Presidency at WWE.

:kingsley: Yuki Yoshioka (Open the Dream Gate Champion) - A month after defeating former multi-time champion YAMATO to further cement his status as the new top guy in Dragon Gate, Yoshioka proved himself against another former champion, the old but still extremely cool Masaaki Mochizuki, who had been hoping to win the title for the fourth time. Instead, that spot and that honor continues to belong to the 28-year-old who now carries Dragongate on his back.

:murder: Nick Gage (GCW Champion) - The show may have been called Wasted Title, but Gage wasted none of his as he defeated Cole Radrick in 12 minutes at the start of December. Tony Deppen was harder work, as Gage faced and eventually defeated him in a near 30-minute match at Amerikaz Most Wanted in the middle of December to retain his title and end 2022 as Champion.

:pilot:Josh Alexander (Impact World Champion) - Alexander put on his working boots at the end of December, with three title defenses of the Impact World Title in the space of a week! First was defeating Kevin Blackwood at Greektown in Hamilton, followed the next day with a No Contest in a Title vs. Title match against Greektown Wrestling Champion Channing Decker at Greektown in Toronto. Only 5 days later, Alexander defeated Harlon Abbott to retain his title at TTW Saves Christmas, and ended 2022 as Champion.

:byodame: Ronda Rousey (FORMER Smackdown Women's Champion) - The story going into the last Smackdown of the Year was whether or not Raquel Gonzalez could do the unthinkable. She'd taken aim at Rousey, infuriating by her abuse and steamrolling of other women in the division. Rousey of course wasn't fighting fair, working with friend/henchwoman Shayna Baszler to injure Gonzalez's arm and take away her strength advantage. But a tearful Gonzalez promised that one-armed or not she was going to beat Rousey! She was going to win the title! She was going to end 2022 as the Champion and put an end to Rousey's reign of terror! Could she do it? Could Raquel defeat the undefeatable? Oh what a story! Stakes! Emotions! An injury! Doubt! Hope! It was all there, this is pro-wrestling at its finest! The story of the underdog against the monster heel! Could Raquel do it? WOULD Raquel do it!?!

:troll: Charlotte Flair (Smackdown Women's Champion) - Charlotte Flair is now the Smackdown Women's Champion.

Syuri (FORMER World of Stardom Champion) - One year to the day since she defeated Utami Hayashishita to gain the title, Syuri's reign finally ended on the same show on the same day, falling at last to Giulia and ending her year-long reign on the 11th defense. Some have claimed Syuri to be the best champion of 2022, which you'll have to chance to argue in the upcoming Champ of the Year thread, but now is your chance to say whether you think she was the best that December 2022 had to offer.

Giulia (World of Stardom Champion) - She had her chance in March but couldn't get it done, losing to Syuri on Night 1 of Stardom World Climax. She lost the Tag Titles to Oedo Tai a month later, she couldn't make the final of the Cinderella Tournament in April, failed to regain the tag titles from STARS in May, couldn't win the Artist of Stardom Title in June or July... yes, it seemed like 2022 wasn't gonna be Giulia's year. But then in October she won the 5 Star Grand Prix, defeating Tam Nakano, and though she wasn't able to win the Goddesses of Stardom Tag League, she ended the year on top by FINALLY defeating Syuri and cementing 2022 as a year she'd always remember fondly, because she goes into 2023 as Stardom's TOP champion.

:greenangel: Athena (ROH Women's Champion) - After failing to win the TBS Title from Jade Cargill, Athena made some changes... mostly by just beating even more rear end than she ever had before. Taking on a mean streak (and a third eye that actually looked more googly than intimidating), she beat the poo poo out of jobbers, raised the ire of ROH Women's Champion Mercedes Martinez... and beat her rear end too! Taking advantage of the rebuilding ROH (saved from obscurity by Tony Khan, though TV remains a pipe dream seemingly) she is now in position as the top women in that promotion, ready to beat the rear end of anybody who tries to take that spot from her.

:axe: Baliyan Akki (Super Asia Champion) - Continuing to move back and forth between Japan and USA with his Super Asia Title, Akki ended a six week break to defend the belt against Cole Radrick, defeating him at DPW Spark in North Carolina to end the year with the title he's held since February.

:baby: El Lindaman (G-REX Champion) - Lindaman has had a very busy year not just in GLEAT but representing the company in other promotions too, most particularly in New Japan where he has been a very welcome addition to the mix. But after working the Super Jr Tag League, it was time for his first title defense in 3 months, as he defeated Kaito Ishida at GLEAT Ver.4 on the 30th to end the year as Champion.

:killdozer: Hiroyo Matsumoto (FORMER Beyond the Sea Champion) - Matsumoto won the vacant title at the end of a tournament after Arisa Nakajima vacated the title following multiple months without a defense. It was sad, but you know, you gotta move on and look to the future. Anyway, Matsumoto lost her first title defense a couple months later, losing the belt to...

:black101: Arisa Nakajima (Beyond the SEA Champion) - Wait, what?

:thatsrad: Kazusada Higuchi (KO-D Openweight Champion) - Some people, some TRAITORS, thought that Higuchi was gonna lose the title and end a reign he'd worked so hard to build up from ignominous beginnings after he won the vacant belt following Tetsuya Endo's injury-forced abdication. Ueno was SURELY due to win the big one at last, these cowards and UNBELIEVERS said. But just like the show was called... Never Mind! Instead, Higuchi ate everything Ueno threw at him (and to be fair, Ueno hit him with an INCREDIBLE amount of stuff) and then obliterated him and pinned him to end 2022 as the flag-bearer of DDT, a promotion best known for its comedy but just as capable of incredible wrestling at the highest level too. Higuchi's confrontation with Yuji Hino after the match promises more hard-hitting action to come, and hopefully a continued reign for an incredibly cool and powerful champion for DDT.

:toot: None of the Above - If you're too busy rocking in the New Year, or just want to see the results, or aren't impressed by any of the champions on offer, then None of the Above is the option for you!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jan 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

You have 3 days only to vote, then the Champ of the Year thread goes up, then the Annual Top Ten thread after that! :supaburn:

Personally I gave it to Jamie Hayter for December. I never quite got why people liked her as much as they did, but after that match with Shida I'm all onboard the Hayter train, it was just exceptional stuff.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Voting Syuri as the make good for the rest of the year and it's my, and our, last chance to do so. She earned it.

She also had the best match in December of everyone listed.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

:hayter::hayter::hayter:

Reading the list, I really need to start watching Stardom. It's just hard to make time for it especially with everything else going on.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Shida defended the Regina Di Wave Championship this month on Rampage. She should be on the list.

Anyway I vote Hikaru Shida

Visual Basic Bitch
Sep 4, 2019
voting for hikaru shida by voting for jamie hayter

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
<-------

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
hayter/shida was loving awesome

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I voted for Nick Gage because, even though he is a murder monster that could kick seven shades of poo poo out of me before breakfast time, he is deep down, a lovely human being that cares for puppies and ducklings and orphans etc.

And that is what being a champion is all about.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Higuchi is my goddamn champ

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Syuri rules

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Jamie's going to win but I can't not vote for Athena

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Hayter
Hits
Hard

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

:hmmyes::hmmyes::hmmyes:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

forkboy84 posted:

Syuri rules

I respect you and your attempts to get people to listen.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Yoshioka vs Mochizuki and Yoshioka vs. Ben-K were my number 1 and number 2 best matches I saw in December so I'm going with him.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Voted Hayter but was really tempted to vote Jericho one final time because no one sports entertained me more than him last year.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

i'll give the nod to jamie. she's on a hell of a run having banger match after banger match

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

voted for the Ayatollha of rock and arolla Christ Ocho

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

We've still got a little over 2 days to vote, don't forget to vote because the turnaround between this and the Champ of the Year Poll has to be quick!

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash
MJF and Hayter had really good programs this month, voted for the underdog

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Closing in on 2 days, just over 1 left to vote, do your civic duty!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Roughly 6.5-7 hours to get your votes in, so.... do that!

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

I threw my vote away for Syuri

She definitely deserves to be on this year's calendar

I can't be mad but this is a travesty

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Then BushiRoad should make Stardom part of a New Japan sub :colbert:

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Have to vote :hayter: because Shida/Hayter is easily one of my top matches of 22'

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

Jerusalem posted:

Then BushiRoad should make Stardom part of a New Japan sub :colbert:

Other way around :colbert:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Taxman posted:

Other way around :colbert:

Either way, put them together!

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Penguin Patrol posted:

Hayter
Hits
Hard

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Lid posted:

I respect you and your attempts to get people to listen.

She's 2nd, which isn't bad going in a world with 4 different Tony Khan owned options

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

There's about 3 hours left to vote, and a good 30-40 votes could still possibly (though sadly not probably) come in, so goddammit, VOTE!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

You've got somewhere between 10-15 minutes to vote!

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Jerusalem posted:

You've got somewhere between 10-15 minutes to vote!

Somehow I don't think my boy Higuchi is going to get 30 more votes in that period :smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SG Bamboo posted:

Somehow I don't think my boy Higuchi is going to get 30 more votes in that period :smith:

Well not with THAT attitude he won't!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The year has ended, and with it comes our final Champion of the Month. For the third time this year, it is the AEW Women's Champion. For the second time this year, it is Jamie Hayter. For the FIRST time this year, it is an honor she doesn't have to share with anybody else. The votes came in and they couldn't be clearer, Jamie Hayter was THE Champion for December of 2022, with a little more than 46% of the vote and a nearest competitor - Stardom's Syuri - who could only manage just over 10% herself. Hayter's instant classic with Hikaru Shida blew away any chance of a repeat draw, and she ends the year just like she did 2022 in the ring: as a winner.

Previous winners, click the picture for poll results (where available) for that month.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Champ of the Year Thread for 2022 now up and running!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

And now The Champ of the Month for January, 2023 is up too!