Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Here is a list of all qualifying anime:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cf5xDGlEjdc9YFIBK-5M2J9um-UfQIpwGoebx6W1aQo/edit#gid=0

Worst/Most Disappointing Anime

1.) Pick 3 titles from the list that you have watched at least three episodes of
2.) Write about why the show was bad. Was it disappointing? Was it poorly animated?
3.) Discuss choices, but keep it civil. Someone disliking something you liked isn't the end of the world.
4.) Feel free to rank things 1-3 if you want, but the votes are unweighted (weighted votes may be counted seperately)
5.) Feel free to give dishonourable mentions to other things that nearly made the list, but please differentiate these from your votes

Most Avoided Anime

The main worst anime votes require you to have put in at least a three episode test. This is different. This is about the anime that you felt the need to avoid based on the premise, the anime that you watched one episode then turned it off in disgust. This is your wildcard vote and will go into its own competition

1.) You now get three votes in this category. Choose wisely
2.) There is no minimum watch period. You don't even have to have seen it!
3.) Put a reason why you avoided it. Generate that discussion!
4.) Once again, feel free to debate and discuss choices
5.) Don't be a bigot when using this vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Well, the worst anime I finished was probably Kyoukai Senki, which fell below even the first cour in quality, but I knew that going in, which puts the blame on me more than the show.

For most disappointing, though, that goes to Lupin. After part V, I was pretty excited to see another modern spin, but this season was just dull, with the wider metaplot going nowhere interesting, the characters not getting to show off what makes them part of the gang, and the resolution aggressively undermined everything potentially interesting about the setup.

Again, I saw worse (Yurei Deco comes to mind) but most I either bailed or got used to disappointment.

Lupin was the one that I kept thinking it would get better.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I'm gonna vote for stuff I finished (I usually drop shows I don't like but sometimes i keep going and whelp these 3 are the big ones I hated )

3) Yurei Deco - A show that wasn't really sure what it's message wanted to be, dragged down by way too much tech speak that just got annoying and had an ending where nothing really was resolved. Just an all around disappointment of a show

2) Smile of the Arsnotoria - First episode was a weird mix of slice of life stuff with a rather violent end. So maybe the two would clash and we'd get an interesting plot? Right? RIGHT? RIGHT!?!?! Well no, the 2 disparate plots did not meet even at the end which just made everything super confusing. Not only that the separate parts weren't really good on their own with the magic school slice of life just being bland and uninteresting and the witch hunt stuff not having enough of hook. Just a mess of a series that was supposed to promote a mobage I think but it sure as hell didn't

1) RPG Real Estate - So of the two Spring Doga Kobo shows that were running against superior sequels (Shikamori vs Kaguya and this vs Machikado) I thought I'd at least like this the most of the 2. I generally like Manga time Kirara shows even if they're average or below average. But this was just bland at best and than...well it tried get serious and the show just couldn't handle it. And it's final two episodes being resolved around a song was just super annoying. Machikado and Bocchi show Manga time shows can have deep moments but RPG Real Estate just couldn't handle it and was the show I hated most after watching it

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

3. My Isekai Life - :geno: ...look when the cult that wants to destroy the world is more interesting than the heroes of your tale, you might want to re-evaluate some things. Like I don't know, maybe give the main character some more facial expressions. I streamed this for my friends and they were begging me to turn it off.

2. World End Harem - I was hoping for shlock like Interspecies Reviewers but instead I got an utterly boring show which takes its mystery way too seriously and develops way too slowly. Also the main character is a loving loser.

1. The Faraway Paladin - AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL WASTE OF AMAZING SOURCE MATERIAL. Holy poo poo gently caress the people who made this adaptation. What an utter disappointment after an incredible manga. This was easily my biggest heartbreak of all the released isekai anime thus far. Just the sheer lack of resources clearly hamstrung a really nice work. Just a sad waste. Seriously, read the manga. Forget this terrible adaptation exists.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
The Worst for me has to be:
1. World's End Harem was just bad. The plot as contrived as it was sparked boredom rather than "oh this sounds dumb let's see what happens." The whole motivation of the MC wanting his first time to be with his GF who may or may not be dead. And all the other males being lovely weirdo's. Just nothing to relate too and nobody seemed genuine enough to care about.
2. Shield hero s2. All the problems of the first season with added crap about an evil book guy who never gets what is coming to him leaves the view unsatisfied and a lot of dead air wasted on exposition that doesn't matter. Special shout out to the MC seeing his beloved bird daughter Tortured, humiliated, and abused while he does nothing but get talked down by his other harem women. The most clear and justified example of immediate violent brutality being 100% morally cool and the MC manages to gently caress it up. Absolute loving trash.
3. Beast Tamer. You could surgically remove the brain from a donkey and still have something with more personality than Rain-Kun. I don't even know what the show wanted me to feel other than passive disinterest in everything that went on. Also WTF is up with male cops being evil but female cops are universally good people?

Garbage I avoided but saw too much of:
1. 86 S2. Pro nazi with some gently caress you twists.
2. Parallel World Pharmacy. Just scrapping the barrel for "can this profession be made into an isekai power" the answer is always yes, but should care because it's really lazy writing.
3. Devil is part-Timer S2. He doesn't even work at McRonald's for more than 4 mins in the entire season. Show lost its way.
'

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sazabi posted:

The gently caress are you talking about. Like I can't understand how someone can view an anti Nazi show as pro Nazi.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jan 2, 2023

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Disappointing:

3. The Executioner and Her Way of Life - I just kind of lost interest halfway through. Not bad, just not enough to keep me coming back I guess.

2. The Demon Girl Next Door S2 - I just couldn't get into it for some reason. Super disappointed since I loved the first season so much. Ganbare Shamiko! Maybe I'll read your manga someday!

1. Ranking of Kings - Yes, I am still not over how much worse the show got in its second half. To put it in perspective I confidently voted the show as AOTY 2021 when the crunchyroll awards came up over every other show from that year, thats how much I loved the first half. Then it just became endless back-to-back fights with no tension that largely side-lined the main character because he would solve things too quickly, during an arc that was already spinning its wheels waiting for one character to just get off his rear end and immediately solve the plot. It's like you took everything wrong with shonen battle arcs and put it in a ghibli movie.

Avoided:

3. How a Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom Part 2 - I liked the first 2 thirds of the first season but then it dawned on me that I was still watching an isekai with a boring overpowered MC it's just that he wasn't killing anyone while doing it. So I quit just before the finale and didn't return for the sequel.

2. Reincarnated as a Sword - I'd heard that this was one of the stronger isekai's so was kind of looking forward to it but the first episode was so aggressively bad and generic that it completely killed my interest. I'm used to isekai protagonists becoming overpowered in the first episode but the whole loving episode is him constantly narrating about getting overpowered while boring scenes of a sword floating around cutting up monsters plays. Sorry man, Yuuki Aoi you ain't.

1. Bleach: Thousand Year Blood War - gently caress Bleach. I hate Bleach so much. gently caress you Ichigo you boring piece of wood prick. No, I'm not overreacting because of it being one of the first manga's I read that slowly became worse and worse and made me more bitter the longer it took to die. Nope.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jan 2, 2023

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

The gently caress are you talking about. Like I can't understand how someone can view an anti Nazi show as pro Nazi.

There's way too much attack on titan discourse saying otherwise. 86 has a lot less "well here's what makes fascism appealing and how it propagates in a traumatized populace" grey area though so that's a pretty bizarre comment.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

There's way too much attack on titan discourse saying otherwise. 86 has a lot less "well here's what makes fascism appealing and how it propagates in a traumatized populace" grey area though so that's a pretty bizarre comment.

Yeah, it's 100% about the victims of fascism looking to escape their lot in life and let their awful country burn, before being taken in by an ex-fascist country where the people in charge understand exactly how uncompromising they have to be in order to avoid backsliding to the bad old days.

Claiming it's pro-fascist just seems completely baffling.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Julias posted:

5.) Don't be a bigot when using this vote.

i like that we need this rule cause when yuri on ice aired like two dozen people all posted 'i avoided this anime for uhh... normal reasons'

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Endorph posted:

i like that we need this rule cause when yuri on ice aired like two dozen people all posted 'i avoided this anime for uhh... normal reasons'

Yup

DNE
Nov 24, 2007
You know, I don't think I've watched enough to really truly participate - but I am going to gripe about the episode I hated the most.

Okay, so Legend of Mana: Teardrop Crystal is an adaptation of the PS1 game. It's, bizarrely, a passion project. Like, the director was just so excited about Legend of Mana that he pitched this adaptation until he got it made. The LoM remaster release exists because of it. I respect this extreme commitment to Legend of Mana and was really excited about this show.

Really early on, it adapts a quest from the game called The Flame of Hope. The premise is this:

1. A man named Ruben, a member of a mysterious diaspora, is in hiding, in part because a criminal, Sandra, is hunting down and killing his people.
2. Also, there's a plucky little leaf creature called a sproutling. He has a bug stuck in his tummy. He would like the bug to be removed, but he doesn't want his leaves to be ripped out to do it. He wants someone to make him feel better, but he refuses to take his medicine.

In the game, the criminal, in disguise as a nun, tells Ruben that the bug in the sproutling's stomach would cure the illness of his beloved - that thing he once claimed to care so, so much about - so he should pluck it out and use it as medicine, right? But Ruben refuses, because he doesn't want to be a bother or trouble anyone. He says "hey, I'm okay if YOU do that, but I'm not going to do it myself."

This disgusts Sandra and she, later, kills him. She also just like, plucks the bug out, and the sproutling goes "ow!" for a moment, then feels better.

So, this is doing like, a really classic parallel construction, right? It's taking a gallant young man, pretending to be principled and cool, with a stylish character design, and saying "actually no you're just like this stupid child who can't stand the taste of medicine but complains about feeling sick". If you want to care about people, you have to be able to risk being a pain to them! This sets up the premise that Sandra is, in fact, passing moral judgement on Ruben's people - she's upset at the whole society for failing to care about themselves and eachother.

ANYWAY, in the anime adaptation, the removal of the bug in the sproutling's tummy would be fatal to the sproutling. Which, uh, obviously means that Ruben is completely in the right for refusing to pluck it out! Which means Sandra kills him for... refusing to murder an innocent child to save his love, which is way less interesting and justified than being angry at him for refusing to briefly inconvenience an innocent child? Like, Ruben is no longer a dweeb, and we do not leave the episode thinking maybe Sandra had a point.

So, I'll probably get back to the series later, but, ugh! It just really felt like it missed the point! Thank you for reading me hollering about this single anime episode.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

DNE posted:

ANYWAY, in the anime adaptation, the removal of the bug in the sproutling's tummy would be fatal to the sproutling. Which, uh, obviously means that Ruben is completely in the right for refusing to pluck it out! Which means Sandra kills him for... refusing to murder an innocent child to save his love, which is way less interesting and justified than being angry at him for refusing to briefly inconvenience an innocent child? Like, Ruben is no longer a dweeb, and we do not leave the episode thinking maybe Sandra had a point.

Hope you didn't miss the post-credits sequence where it turns out that the sproutling can be cured non-fatally through the power of being knocked over (arguably this is also the actual cure in the game, when Boyd runs into the sproutling, though it's not really clear if it was ultimately him or Sandra). I'd say temper your expectations when you watch the rest of it but it goes increasingly off the game rails anyway.

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

I didn't watch anything genuinely terrible this year (learned my lesson last year). But I did watch some stuff that ended up being mildly disappointing. Magia Record's last few episodes made bold choices that the original game refused to. Sadly it was nowhere near enough to coherently tie together all the plot threads they had set up prior. The result is a trite, rushed mess. Teppen was like watching a comedy routine where the whole time is spent building up to a punchline and then the show ends and the punchline never comes. Also, even though Mob Psycho S3 had some good episodes, overall it was the weakest of its three seasons, which stands in stark contrast to how hyped I was to watch it when Fall started. At least it ended ok, I guess?

Most Avoided
Harem in the Labyrinth -- The nadir of slave isekais. Do I really need to say more?
Peter Grill and the Adventurer's Stone S2 -- Want goblin-rape jokes? Have I got the anime for you!
Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer -- Easily the greatest monkey's paw of the decade. No degree of good source material could have shone in an adaptation this half-assed.

Malsangoroth fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 9, 2023

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Sazabi posted:

Garbage I avoided but saw too much of:

Has Char's last mobile suit as user name

"Actually 86 is nazis and that's bad!"

Wild ride

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Yawgmoft posted:

Has Char's last mobile suit as user name

"Actually 86 is nazis and that's bad!"

Wild ride

That made me giggle. Thanks buddy.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Frederica could have been like a mother to me!

DNE
Nov 24, 2007

Polsy posted:

Hope you didn't miss the post-credits sequence where it turns out that the sproutling can be cured non-fatally through the power of being knocked over (arguably this is also the actual cure in the game, when Boyd runs into the sproutling, though it's not really clear if it was ultimately him or Sandra). I'd say temper your expectations when you watch the rest of it but it goes increasingly off the game rails anyway.

I didn't miss it and it only upset me more actually!
But I'm fine with it leaving the game rails in general, I'm just really bothered by that specific choice it made. So I'll watch more. Eventually.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

1) my hero academia. Very strong start to the season that pretty quickly hit the breaks on my hype once The Thing happened. Show went from being tense with some excellent action to a really drawn out example of some incredibly rapid and (much more importantly) unsatisfying power creep. One or two characters making a heroic sacrifice showing how they've grown rules but this had like 10 in a single (very long) fight and having the shounen action character based dopamine formula thrown in my face so many times in such rapid succession made the whole thing feel very dumb and poorly thought out.

Also mirio's grand return was such a wet fart for a character/emotional beat that had been getting built up for a long rear end time and I was pretty invested in. Makes me kinda mad actually and this is why while writing this paragraph I've moved this to #1 as it's hard to top how disappointing this was.

2) gonna be real controversial by saying spy x family, which I really really wanted to like going in and ended up quickly getting bored with. I think it's a a reasonably well made show (though to be honest I don't really understand what people are seeing in it that gets it hyped to high hell) but as far as "most disappointing" goes this was a very disappointing experience for me

Excellent op animation though I will say

I don't have a number 3 because I think between this and what I listed in my anime of the year thread that's literally all of the qualifying anime I watched lol

most avoided

Made in abyss. Don't try to talk about it please that's a bad idea.

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 3, 2023

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I feel like you could have given this thread a funny name

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

I submit for the board's consideration Renai Flops, the greatest love story ever told and also worst anime of the Fall 2022 season which is probably omitted from most peoples list because 2 people watched the show. I am going to spoil the whole show here so if you really are interested now is the time to stop reading this post. Not that any of these supposed plot twists are hard to see coming.

Ok so the first 6 episodes of this show play out like an adaptation of a bad Tokimeki Memorial 1 parody and I mean they practically all but directly reference the game. Each episode plays out like a condensed route from a dating game with its own clean resolution for the 5 main girls. The plots are just as varied and wacky as you might expect from that ranging from a girl having trouble reading kanji because that's moe to a girl disguised as a boy trying to keep up the facade in a hot spring (complete with dick jokes) to a super spy teacher who needs to kill like 20 guys and then fight a fusion of senator armstrong and colonel sanders while dragging the naked MC through a love hotel.

Then you get to the 7th episode which is the big "reveal" that this is all in the Matrix and that the MC does not have a harem of 5 multi-national girlfriends living with him. The next episode has a scientist lady who clumsily does exposition to reveal that all the girls are AI clones of his dead ex-girlfriend that were modified by various nations conducting AI research and that by triggering hidden memories he has caused the original personality of the ex-girlfriend to awaken and become a really low-impact version of skynet. (yes the title joke is Renai FLOPS). MC has to go back into the matrix and fight along with the 4 - not corrupted clones against both the ex-girlfriend and the programs the company developing this AI sent in to delete everything and cover this up. they do this by becoming magical girls except the spy teacher girlfriend who just continues to kill people like before. Colonel Sanders comes back and spy teacher girlfriend AI has to sacrifice herself. Then the others all get their turn to sacrifice themselves to get MC through to the system core.

The last episode actually kind of has a beautiful self-contained moral about how ex-girlfriend had brain cancer and pushed MC away rather than spend the little time they had left together, and that her dad made a big mistake by shoving her into computer and that MC needs to move on with his life and can't do so by forgetting what happened between them. And then it goes and ruins it in the epilogue five minutes later.

Moral of the story: You need to cherish the times you spend with someone you love but you can't let yourself be bound to that past when they are gone. However it is perfectly acceptable and indeed preferable to have the 5 AI clones of them put into robot bodies and become your harem in the real world because robots are cool.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Ngl that sounds loving incredible

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That show looked dumb to begin with so I'm impressed that it somehow went nutso as it continued.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Triggerhappypilot posted:

I submit for the board's consideration Renai Flops, the greatest love story ever told and also worst anime of the Fall 2022 season which is probably omitted from most peoples list because 2 people watched the show. I am going to spoil the whole show here so if you really are interested now is the time to stop reading this post. Not that any of these supposed plot twists are hard to see coming.

Ok so the first 6 episodes of this show play out like an adaptation of a bad Tokimeki Memorial 1 parody and I mean they practically all but directly reference the game. Each episode plays out like a condensed route from a dating game with its own clean resolution for the 5 main girls. The plots are just as varied and wacky as you might expect from that ranging from a girl having trouble reading kanji because that's moe to a girl disguised as a boy trying to keep up the facade in a hot spring (complete with dick jokes) to a super spy teacher who needs to kill like 20 guys and then fight a fusion of senator armstrong and colonel sanders while dragging the naked MC through a love hotel.

Then you get to the 7th episode which is the big "reveal" that this is all in the Matrix and that the MC does not have a harem of 5 multi-national girlfriends living with him. The next episode has a scientist lady who clumsily does exposition to reveal that all the girls are AI clones of his dead ex-girlfriend that were modified by various nations conducting AI research and that by triggering hidden memories he has caused the original personality of the ex-girlfriend to awaken and become a really low-impact version of skynet. (yes the title joke is Renai FLOPS). MC has to go back into the matrix and fight along with the 4 - not corrupted clones against both the ex-girlfriend and the programs the company developing this AI sent in to delete everything and cover this up. they do this by becoming magical girls except the spy teacher girlfriend who just continues to kill people like before. Colonel Sanders comes back and spy teacher girlfriend AI has to sacrifice herself. Then the others all get their turn to sacrifice themselves to get MC through to the system core.

The last episode actually kind of has a beautiful self-contained moral about how ex-girlfriend had brain cancer and pushed MC away rather than spend the little time they had left together, and that her dad made a big mistake by shoving her into computer and that MC needs to move on with his life and can't do so by forgetting what happened between them. And then it goes and ruins it in the epilogue five minutes later.

Moral of the story: You need to cherish the times you spend with someone you love but you can't let yourself be bound to that past when they are gone. However it is perfectly acceptable and indeed preferable to have the 5 AI clones of them put into robot bodies and become your harem in the real world because robots are cool.

I'm going to watch this

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009

Malsangoroth posted:

Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer -- Easily the greatest monkey's paw of the decade. No degree of good source material could have shone in an adaptation this half-assed.

I never thought it was possible for an anime adaptation to be less kinetic than the manga. I forced myself to watch a couple episodes then just reread the manga again since I had to make sure I wasn't remembering the fights wrong.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Nephthys posted:

1. Ranking of Kings - Yes, I am still not over how much worse the show got in its second half. To put it in perspective I confidently voted the show as AOTY 2021 when the crunchyroll awards came up over every other show from that year, thats how much I loved the first half. Then it just became endless back-to-back fights with no tension that largely side-lined the main character because he would solve things too quickly, during an arc that was already spinning its wheels waiting for one character to just get off his rear end and immediately solve the plot. It's like you took everything wrong with shonen battle arcs and put it in a ghibli movie.

The real problem with the show is that it tries really hard to show that basically every named character secretly has a heart of gold, and wasn't actually that terrible despite some of the really horrible things they did. Some people are just assholes.

The Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer adaptation being really terrible also sucks. I'm not sure why they even bothered if it was going to be such low quality. Its not like its to advertise the long finished manga.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

ninjewtsu posted:

1) my hero academia. Very strong start to the season that pretty quickly hit the breaks on my hype once The Thing happened. Show went from being tense with some excellent action to a really drawn out example of some incredibly rapid and (much more importantly) unsatisfying power creep. One or two characters making a heroic sacrifice showing how they've grown rules but this had like 10 in a single (very long) fight and having the shounen action character based dopamine formula thrown in my face so many times in such rapid succession made the whole thing feel very dumb and poorly thought out.

Also mirio's grand return was such a wet fart for a character/emotional beat that had been getting built up for a long rear end time and I was pretty invested in. Makes me kinda mad actually and this is why while writing this paragraph I've moved this to #1 as it's hard to top how disappointing this was.

So I don't really watch much, but I gotta be honest, this take is how I feel about MHA the manga too. The whole thing feels ultra shounen performative as opposed to creative to me. I dunno I keep reading it, but its like the hydrox of shounen. It's got all the parts you want, and looks mostly right, but I just do not like it as much as that would imply I should. Bummer to hear the show really doesn't do anything to fix that issue.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I just don't have time to watch shows that are expected to suck. So, here are the shows I dropped after a few episodes:
Uzaki-chan S2: It wasn't terrible. But S1 barely kept my attention and this didn't really add much. Ami going full horn-dog didn't help.
Birdie Wing: I got through the first tournament arc and still have no idea why this is as popular as it is. I guess I just bounced super hard off the characters and the setting. If it didn't take itself so seriously, I probably would've liked it more like Akiba Maid War.
RWBY: By far the worst show I watched any of this year. They basically crammed the first season of the original series into the first three episodes and somehow made it even more boring. Seriously. The fights were crap despite having far better technical animation support and Monty's whole choreography to go off of. It's mind boggling. And Weiss is the least likeable character of the team, so of course her lovely ojou persona has to be the focus of the anime.

The Promised Neverland Season 2 Award for Most Cursed Adaptation:
Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer - Never read the manga. Haven't watched any of the show. But I've seen a few clips and heard the torrent of 10 million bleating weebs making GBS threads themselves.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
I did okay this past year, partly because it was such a strong year and partly because I avoided most of the worst of anime. My avoid list was WAY longer than the bad one because of the folks here as well as a couple of other people I follow online. Thanks guys!

Most avoided

3. Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer - I saw the trailer for this, looked at some of the worst animation this side of The-Show-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named (starts with "Ex.") and ran the other way. Then I heard that the manga was good, went to read it, and wondered if I read the wrong one since that wasn't all that hot, either. Sympathies to fans of the series.

2. Ranking of Kings S2 - I didn't watch season 1, but was planning on catching up on the whole series in Summer when things are usually in the doldrums. Then I heard how badly they did S2 and was very sad, because it made watching the first season unnecessary.

1. Futoku no Guild - Watched the trailer where a bunch of busty ladies of various species and classes get molested by the rapey-est monsters in the forest and just noped the hell out. By that time I'd watched my #1 worst and figured I'd already paid my penance for the year.

Most disappointing/worst

3. Beast Tamer -I don't know why I felt more disappointed than incensed at this, seeing as it copied every possible trope out of the "fired party member" schtick. It just feels like it could have done better with the idea. (I've already had the same feelings about Ningen Fushin after one episode, so that'll make next year's list.)

2. RPG Fudousan - Harmless, but boring, with an art style that wouldn't feel out of place in a show a couple of decades older than this. This was one where I couldn't stop watching despite it being dull as dishwater. Maybe I have a secret fetish for realtors.

1. Slave Harem in the Labyrinth of Another World - As opposed to this piece of poo poo, which i can only explain watching as many episodes as I did due to a mix of masochism & self-hatred. It spends so much more time with badly-animated RPG elements than it does the bouncy-bouncy that whole episodes have absolutely no nudity at all. It's not even good in a titillating way. I've watched ten second porn loops in Flash that were more arousing than this thing, though the method of covering up the naughty bits that I saw in the one episode that I didn't grab uncensored was almost hilarious. Almost. The contempt the studio must've had for the material becomes evident in the final episode, when they did a speedrun through the story to give the schmuck in charge his full compliment of slaves. Truly wretched from the first frame to the last, and may it be the worst thing I'll have seen for a long while.

PS

I think I've already found my #1 for the avoidance list next year.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Doodles posted:

2. Ranking of Kings S2 - I didn't watch season 1, but was planning on catching up on the whole series in Summer when things are usually in the doldrums. Then I heard how badly they did S2 and was very sad, because it made watching the first season unnecessary.

Ranking of Kings doesn't have a second season yet.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Omnicrom posted:

Ranking of Kings doesn't have a second season yet.

Cour 2 they mean. But also there is a sequel season that's apparently anime original in the works.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Doodles posted:

I did okay this past year, partly because it was such a strong year and partly because I avoided most of the worst of anime. My avoid list was WAY longer than the bad one because of the folks here as well as a couple of other people I follow online. Thanks guys!

Most avoided

3. Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer - I saw the trailer for this, looked at some of the worst animation this side of The-Show-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named (starts with "Ex.") and ran the other way. Then I heard that the manga was good, went to read it, and wondered if I read the wrong one since that wasn't all that hot, either. Sympathies to fans of the series.

1. Futoku no Guild - Watched the trailer where a bunch of busty ladies of various species and classes get molested by the rapey-est monsters in the forest and just noped the hell out. By that time I'd watched my #1 worst and figured I'd already paid my penance for the year.

Most disappointing/worst

3. Beast Tamer -I don't know why I felt more disappointed than incensed at this, seeing as it copied every possible trope out of the "fired party member" schtick. It just feels like it could have done better with the idea. (I've already had the same feelings about Ningen Fushin after one episode, so that'll make next year's list.)

2. RPG Fudousan - Harmless, but boring, with an art style that wouldn't feel out of place in a show a couple of decades older than this. This was one where I couldn't stop watching despite it being dull as dishwater. Maybe I have a secret fetish for realtors.

1. Slave Harem in the Labyrinth of Another World - As opposed to this piece of poo poo, which i can only explain watching as many episodes as I did due to a mix of masochism & self-hatred. It spends so much more time with badly-animated RPG elements than it does the bouncy-bouncy that whole episodes have absolutely no nudity at all. It's not even good in a titillating way. I've watched ten second porn loops in Flash that were more arousing than this thing, though the method of covering up the naughty bits that I saw in the one episode that I didn't grab uncensored was almost hilarious. Almost. The contempt the studio must've had for the material becomes evident in the final episode, when they did a speedrun through the story to give the schmuck in charge his full compliment of slaves. Truly wretched from the first frame to the last, and may it be the worst thing I'll have seen for a long while.

PS

I think I've already found my #1 for the avoidance list next year.
From watching just the first episode and reading a synopsis, Futoku no Guild is not nearly as offensive as Slave Harem. Its story is “Protagonist is veteran Ranger of a guild responsible for keeping the monster population of a forest under control. He is going to turn 20 soon, and has decided to retire so he can go to college. He has a fairly strong sense of responsibility and refuses to quit until he has someone capable of filling his position in place once he leaves. The guild just got several new pretty girl rookies for the job, however they are all grossly incompetent, and through their incompetence learned the monsters are not so much dangerous as very molesty.”

It’s still pretty bad but it’s premise is not nearly as offensive as something like slave Herem which I outright avoided.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's something to read/watch if you really like seeing women sexually assaulted by monsters. for those of us who are slightly more normal, it's gross as hell.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's something to read/watch if you really like seeing women sexually assaulted by monsters. for those of us who are slightly more normal, it's gross as hell.

Yes which is why I said it was still pretty bad. I watched no trailers for anything, so I had little idea last season of what I was going into for most things.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

worst anime 2023 is shaping up to be a monster

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

What folks haven't mentioned is the lengths Slave Harem goes to say "no no no, actually slavery is okay!"

Christ there were a lot of bad shows this season.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Shinobi No Ittoki for actually taking the "no, I'm the secret heir of a badass thing but also school hijinks"

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Seraphic Neoman posted:

What folks haven't mentioned is the lengths Slave Harem goes to say "no no no, actually slavery is okay!"

Christ there were a lot of bad shows this season.

there were like 10 amazing shows, why would you choose to watch the show called 'slave harem'

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Big Leg posted:

there were like 10 amazing shows, why would you choose to watch the show called 'slave harem'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPHMSBmdpCs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Big Leg posted:

Because I like good anime and I like really bad anime. And I stream both sorts for the (dis)pleasure of my friends.