Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

It's easy remembering what Hidenoumi looks like, if you remember him as the rikishi who so generously turned down all of the good-looks genes so his younger brother Tobizaru could inherit them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Shiroc posted:

しょだい
しょだい

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

riderchop posted:

dude i need this teru watch its only 44 bucks
These watches stink! No, really. I have a white Osaka model that gives off a light scent of hinoki cypress; it's very nice. Looks good, too. If you're in the market for a watch, you could do worse than one of these featuring a favorite rikishi.

e: And with the weak yen, it's only $33.58!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Apraxin posted:

fun fact about Okinoumi is that while it's not untrue that he's from Shimane prefecture, his actual hometown is on the Oki Islands, about 50 miles off the mainland and with a total pop of about 20k.
Hence his shikona, which translates to "Oki sea"!

Kuros posted:

Also concerning Takanosho vs Chiyoshoma was it a hair pull? I missed what happened but thought that Taka won until they called the DQ.
Yes, exactly this.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

I love the bananaman.
Our household dubbed him "Mustardman".

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Shiroc posted:

I'm happy for Azumaryu but it was kinda weird how nobody at all reacted to him finally getting kk, not even Azumaryu himself.
He seemed pretty happy in the customary dumb-as-hell post-bout NHK interview. Love to see these guys smile for once!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I could swear that someone got a fusensho when Hoshoryu was out for his ankle, but Hoshoryu's record isn't x-y-1. What about his kyujo made it count as a regular loss vs. a no-show?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Ah! Thanks for the explanation. I wondered if it might be something like that. :tipshat:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Apraxin posted:

Day 14, but don't think it needs spoilers: lol at the abema color comentator expressing surprise at Aoyama having a green mawashi because 'i just associate him with blue you know? his name starts with Ao (blue) and he's from Blue-garia'
It's a pretty good pun in Japanese! :shobon:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

some kinda jackal posted:

My shortlist of peeves with the highlights show in a vacuum is that it's not on demand, and it's delayed.
But it is on demand, right here: https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/sumo/

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

some kinda jackal posted:

or at least some way that involves me flopping down on the couch to watch fat men wrestle on a big screen :)
This is definitely the way to do it. If worse comes to worst, the NHK World app (at least on Android) does let you cast video, because to hell with watching all that massive DOSUKOI ACTION on a tiny phone/tablet screen.

e: John Gunning on Takakeisho's promotion prospects, depaywalled: https://archive.ph/hY4h0

Hirayuki fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jan 27, 2023

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Requested by MidnightSumo: https://youtu.be/SDZyyQT0xK0

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Lucasar posted:

Don't think I've ever seen Shohozan smile before.
I didn't immediately recognize who that was on the left, though I knew I knew him. I figured I could try matching his face to smiling photos of rikishi, given the distinctive dimples. Then I realized there aren't a ton of photos of rikishi smiling. :(

Thankfully Ichiyamamoto is freer with his smiles than most. :)

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

A haiku for the occasion:

Late Valentine's gift:
all the rikishi born in
mid-November (lots)

eta: Oh, and happy birthday to Oho, who's 23 today!

Hirayuki fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 14, 2023

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Takayasu may want to reconsider that tradition of never washing one's practice mawashi.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I was looking for news on Tobizaru being back in sanyaku and came across this fascinating collection of photos of rikishi from 2002 and 2003: https://www.charlesfreger.com/portfolio/rikishi/
I know I spotted a young Hokutofuji and an even younger Tobizaru (:eyepop:)--maybe you folks who've been following the sport for longer can ID more.

This one guy, though...I feel like I know who he is, but I can't place him.

You'd think with that brow and hairline, he'd be easy to find. Google Lens most unhelpfully put big man-tits together with blue mawashi and said "This must be Akua!" :dumb:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

Is that Akiseyama? I didn't think I'd recognize Tobizaru but I got him straight away lmao great find, some real good shots in there.
That's the one! Thanks so much. It was right on the tip of my tongue. :tipshat:

I wonder how many of those younger, skinnier kids stuck with the sport.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

May is a beautiful time of year to get married and celebrate your anniversary. Cheers!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I loved the interview they did with Kinbozan after his day-1 win. Just the usual stupid questions, including "What are your goals for this basho?" "To not get injured and to get kachikoshi," he answered. "And you're fine with just getting kachikoshi?" the interviewer prodded. "Yes, I am," replied Kinbozan. "Hokuseiho said he was going for a double-digit win," needled the interviewer. Kinbozan, God bless him, came right back with "Well, that would be nice, but right now I'm going to try to not get injured and to get kachikoshi." You tell 'em, kiddo!

eta:

:allears:

Hirayuki fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 14, 2023

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

bartolimu posted:

Day 13

I feel like Wakatakakage got away with a little bit of a hansoku in the first fight, but I guess that's Sekiwake life.

I agree. The monoii focused only on their feet and not on WTK's fistful of hair.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Vargatron posted:

I continue my run of pulling 8-7 and 7-8 performances.
You could be the next Endo!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

That kid is going places. Probably my favorite of the newbies this last time around, and he earned that distinction very early on in the basho.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Tuna in Japanese is 'maguro'?
Cooked, canned tuna is "tsuna".

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Sumo Kaboom has a really fun bingo game, too, that lets you win (real prizes, potentially!) off either winning or losing records.

In other news, this John Gunning article was featured in today's Japan Times daily newsletter: Return of yokozuna deliberation council offers good and bad

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Ah, so he "retired" like so many disgraced people in politics and business "resign."

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

This gentleman's hair-hat was immensely distracting.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I came across this video on NHK World: Miyagino Sho: Hakuho's Next Chapter

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Fearless posted:

Mebbe there is a cultural difference at play here, but saying that Takakeisho did nothing to shame his rank is damning by faint praise.
That was absolutely the intention.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Like Daiamami, though in that case it's not the kanji but the pronunciation that cemented his name as "Big Sweetness" in my mind.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Fearless posted:

There was a musical interlude on the Midnight Sumo stream in which Kakuryu sang "My Way." He's got one hell of a set of pipes on him, that's for sure.
https://youtu.be/ACTbrq1jzXY

A bunch of rikishi are better-than-average singers. Takayasu comes to mind, too. And Enho, showing it's not necessarily the bigger body giving them musical chops.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I love how Ikioi sang poo poo that either sounded like his name (like here, "Futari de Ikiyou") or slipped his name into stuff (like the "Hakkeyoi, hakkeyoi" song, which he sang "Hakkeyoi, Ikioi"). It's the (very) little things.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Here's a de-paywalled article by John Gunning about sumo's grueling year-round schedule and the need for an actual off-season: https://archive.ph/06ede

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I was getting settled into my Shinkansen seat on my way from Tokyo to Kyoto yesterday evening when I happened to catch the back of what looked for all the world like a rikishi trundling down the aisle into the next car: big dude (taller, wider), indigo yukata, mage. I regret not seeing who it might have been, but I'll take it as a minor brush with some level of assumed greatness. (I'm pretty sure he wasn't anyone too high up on the totem pole, though he was in a first-class car.)

I spotted another rikishi at an airport nearly thirty years ago when I wasn't into sumo. He was getting the minor-celebrity treatment; my host sister couldn't tell me who he was.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Brut posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWy363dtgDk

What the gently caress am I looking at? This is the Kyokai's official Youtube channel, is this an actual wrestler or for that TV show or...? I'm so confused
I think that's an actual wrestler, yeah. Rikishi with thick hair need to have their heads regularly shaved like that for a better-behaved and more aesthetically pleasing mage.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Tobi :h:

Beeswax posted:

Strongest brand in sumo
I saw that and wondered if he was going for a yusho or just a single win, lol. Turns out he's shooting for the middle: a kachikoshi. :geno:

The given translation for Ichiyamamoto's wish was kind of funky, so I checked the Japanese for that one out, too. He wrote "Hachiyamamoto," I assume referring to the eight wins he needs for KK.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Wow, I came here to ask about this guy after I noticed him on the sidelines again and wondered, not for the first time, about this paleish dude hanging out in a kesho-mawashi. I'm sorry to hear about his medical issues--hard to believe he's my age.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Bentai posted:

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/d3b12efd7cd7b51a550dd7af86559ed5e77046ee
Tobizaru collapsed from possible dehydration during jungyo. Took almost 30 minutes between him initially collapsing, and someone having the sense to load him into an ambulance and get him to a hospital.
My boy :ohdear:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

We could probably analyze all the wrappings and figure out who that body belongs to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Next Sunday!