Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Always wonder what is up with English language instruction for German speakers where they invariably mix up "this" and "that"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djI_ret3S9g

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Alan Smithee posted:

wonder if the new york street pizza is any good

Looks deece tbh

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Americans tarring other nationalities as being potential gun wielding murderers is pretty rich lol

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Handicrafts? That's where I'm a viking!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

When I was in college (late 90s) and we did a unit on EU economics, the Big Four Sick Men of Europe (the ones who were likely to miss convergence criteria for standardization on the Euro) were: Ireland, Spain, Portugal, and Greece.

Things have changed a bit

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sashimi posted:

Reminds me of the balloon attacks Japan launched on the continental US. From the hundreds of balloons launched all they did was start a couple of small fires and killed some kids going for a picnic.

Actually kind of mind-bogglingly, those unguided balloon bombs did by complete dumb luck manage to cause a power failure at the factory in Washington that was making parts for the Manhattan Project, causing delays in delivery.

Not that it made a difference in the end but god drat

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

KakerMix posted:

I'm sure Zelensky has been the target of constant assassination plots by Russia this whole time

But this time they mean it!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Invade a country, steal their washing machines, cannibalize them for chips to put in missiles to attack that country

If that were the premise of a MAD Magazine three-pager Bill Gaines would send it back for a total rewrite

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Can vibrate through walls,

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Maybe he means Ukropia but in EU markets due to trademark issues

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Russian bridge used the pencil tool

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Set posted:

Just imagine, this could all be over if Putin withdrew his forces and the people of Ukraine could begin rebuilding their lives. It is all such an unneccessary tragedy, and it is all caused by a kleptocratic fascist who wanted to have a legacy of being a tzar. So utterly tragic.

It's also nuts to me how simple the motivations for all the poo poo that happens these days are. None of this is a massive intricate world-spanning conspiracy to pit various rival factions against each other. It's just one guy who wants to loving take over the world like a god drat cartoon.

Like Trump with his documents. Oh well it's this secret master plan to expose the Deep State and Biden's corruption and blah and foo! No he's just a loving toddler who stole cool poo poo.

The world and civilization are infinitely complex but it's the most reptile-brain biological thrashings that threaten to tear it all down

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

thekeeshman posted:

Mods please change my name to "Skeet Warhead"

*adds to SpaceMutinyNames.txt*

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

HonorableTB posted:

Yeah Willo567 has been worried about his balls getting nuked since pretty much the first day of trumps administration. 2016 really broke poor willo

I keep getting Willo and Covok mixed up

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Desperately trying to keep caught up on the thread by swallowing it 200 posts at a time while it leaps ahead faster than I can scroll, meanwhile loading cnn.com in another window and it tells me it's all over? Which obviously doesn't mean "back to the status quo of 4 days ago" drat this is all going down fast

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

Lots of people can’t deal with any ambiguity or unknown factors in the news so everything rigidly fits into conspiracy theories or ideological tunnels.

Like we just don’t know what happened yesterday.

Everyone involved is a devious liar who constantly uses propaganda. There’s no free press. We don’t have any access into the inner thoughts or inner workings of anyone involved. There’s a constant fog of war. Even basics like casualty reports are deep into who the gently caress knows territory.

We can only know the big observable events but interpretation is very difficult without the missing data.

Lol remember how using the word “nuance” in regard to things like Iraq and terrorism became a badge of ridicule, only to be used by ivory-tower eggheads who don’t understand how the real world is a struggle between good and evil

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Meanwhile I've been trying to think of a bizarro-world version of the "this coup is all just Biden trying to distract from the Hunter laptop dick pics" or whatever, something along the lines of "9/11 is just a psyop by Putin to cover up his appointing a crony to the board of Gazprom"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's a time-honored way to improve morale

*pressing earpiece* Whaddya mean it was sarcastic

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lol it’s like Mechanicsburg

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Computer viking posted:

Speaking of Russian food, I went to a Russian restaurant in Helsinki years ago. The starter was just a stack of big pickles cut into sticks, but they were really nice, and I got bowls of honey and smetana to dip them in. Memorable for its simplicity, and I'd happily order it again.

The other memorable thing was that they had bear meat on the menu, but it was a bit out of my price range.

When I hear "Russian food" I always think about this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLu5FAMVQ1M

(when I visited in 1991 our tour group was fed on huge trays of scrambled eggs and slices of ham the whole week, and piroshki at a farmhouse we visited when returning an exiled expat to his family outside St. Petersburg)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lool the country that came up with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thing_(listening_device) is just posting their assassination coordinates on joggr

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Would also have accepted a giffed version of this (except it would be a shame to cover up the faces)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaGX4JdtQi8

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So they're outright claiming credit for the Kerch bridge now? Last I'd heard everybody on both sides was all like ¯\_:byodood:_/¯

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

How much worse is the damage this time than the previous bridge strike, that they estimate it'll be out for the rest of the year? I thought they had the previous damage bypassed within like a week or something.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Doccers posted:

Suddenly all I can hear are 14.4kbps dialup noises and memories of my BBS days...
I think I ran wwiv for about a month before I switched to VBBS for multi-line support...

lol my username was Ray Tracey

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

These avs are the only good use I've seen of AI yet

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

:lol: How had I never come across this before. :allears:

And I've carried a copy of Science Made Stupid around with me since I was in junior high

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Beef posted:

One thing I learned from this thread is that in Russia these days Nazi is more an umbrella term for "enemy of the Soviet state", rather than ultra-racist fascist cleptocratic state.

I keep noticing this on a broader scale basically among anyone who only has a "domestic movie industry" idea of what Nazis are, which includes Americans.

Russians think "Nazis" are a group of evil foreigners bent on the destruction of Russia.
Americans think "Nazis" are some kind of well-dressed alien race who came to take over the world.

In either case, the opposite of Nazis isn't communists or anarchists or anything like that, it's "patriots". Fuckin Joker telling Red Skull "I may be a villain, but I'm a red-blooded American villain! I'm not any drat Nazi!"

Nobody knows what fascism is or understands genocidal nationalism. Just movie bad guys who are there for plot reasons, and completely inconceivable that they might arise from within your own populace

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Who falls OUT of love with the F40 smh

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I sigh and draw my käätäänää

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Flyinglemur posted:

No Coke, Pepsi

Still can't believe there is literally a chain called https://www.cheeburger.com/

I went there once and they had little flyers and things referencing the skit but they were clearly not licensing anything

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

If there's any ready-to-eat foodstuff that's known for traveling well and hardily especially in rough conditions with lots of jostling and explosions, it's eggs

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I deliberately avoided mentioning refrigeration in my joke

I'm more thinking about "Hey private, load those MREs into the truck" and he hucks armloads into the bed, versus "Hey private, load those EGGS into the truck" and hilarity ensues

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lol @ the "9 women and 1 month" thing being a universal joke

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

weg posted:

The Charge of the Shite Brigade

I do keep obsessively google-earthing that valley outside Sevastopol and wondering whether history is such a gently caress that it will happen again

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

steinrokkan posted:

The charge of the light brigade happened because the two involved commanders were brothers-in-law or some such relation who were not on speaking terms due to petty family bullshit, so when obviously flawed and ambiguous orders about attacking artillery positions were relayed between them, the guy in charge of cavalry decided to order a suicide assault on what he assumed was the objective while throwing his arms in the air and passively aggressively saying "ok, I'm sure you know what you are doing, who am I to question your brilliance" rather than ask for clarification.

The Russians have already found 100 ways to make that scenario look like a display of tactical genius in comparison.

Meanwhile the big-big commander was watching through a scope from this beautiful high plateau in the foreground where he could see the entire debacle unfolding, the whole brigade just galloping down the valley straight into the guns that were just over the slight rise to the right that we from this vantage point could see perfectly well but they on horseback had no idea about, and he's just sitting there in disbelief going "what in the name of gently caress is that rear end in a top hat doing", which coincidentally is exactly what anyone with photography of that mound of mine tailings would be saying to anyone hurling their rear end up against its sheer walls

Now there's a motocross track on that hill lol

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Still laughing at Putin trying to look and sound all calm and composed in China. The loving arm gestures he makes are up there with Shoigu's "we're hosed" shrug.

“Why supply ATACMS? Let (the US) take back ATACMS and all other weapons (because we have no way to counter or defend against this stuff)"

And all this nonsense about pancakes and tea parties?

Silly Shitler, haven't you heard? Keep your friends close, and your enemies about 300km away so you can drop 500lbs of explosives on their loving heads without any risk of retaliation.

For drat sure I don't understand what the translation has done to whatever grammatical texture was in the original. "Let them stop supplying missiles!" Uh ... no? Nobody asked your opinion?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Happy birthday Putin, hope you like ... thousands of Russian corpses and smashed equipment 🎂

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Seriously I wonder how many total clusterfucks and military disasters in history can be chalked up to some political stunt like "we must launch this rocket on the Nth anniversary of the country" or "we must deliver X city in time for so-and-so's birthday"

e: or "we must open the country back up by Easter, screw covid"

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 20, 2023