Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Post here about your favourite game strategy guides, manuals and other pamphlets, etc. for your games!

For me, I've got a few booklets and the like that I fondly recall. Essentially, anything from the Age of Empires/Mythology series was fantastic, such as the fold-out tech tree from the original AoE below:

Many manuals were also great back in the day too, IMO - especially ones that had concept art and the like included. Regarding strategy guides though, I only bought one or two personally, however I distinctly recall reading and re-reading the Prima Guide for Pokemon Red many a time, back in the day! It was a highly comprehensive guide - very good for finding those rare 'mons out in the wild.

So! What strategy guides and the like have you been reading? (Or have fond memories of, from back in your youth)

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Bout a year back I went to a games specialty store and they had a big rack full of nearly pristine games guides. I picked up one for Final Fantasy X-2 which was really cool and useful for all the weird obscure items and quests that are packed into that game.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
I still have and use the Doublejump guide to Disgaea 2. It's a fat little 600+ page paperback. It's a lot easier and more amusing to use than google. I recently got Phantom Brave on pc, might pick up the guide for that one, too.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
I was a Sega kid growing up, and also cursed with misfortunes, so I ended up with a Sega Saturn. Sonic Jam got a lot of play, and it came with digital manuals - both English and Japanese. I really liked the little sketches in the Japanese Sonic/Sonic 2 manuals - so much character in them!

I also got the Maxis collection of Sim City, Sim Farm and Sim Earth for the PC - the manual for all three combined had to be a solid 300 pages IIRC, and had quite a bit of information about what went into the simulation, what the devs researched, etc. - oddly compelling stuff to my dweeby pre-pubescent rear end

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I got given the strategy guide with my copy of the Godfather game on PS2 and whoever wrote it had given all the shop fronts and businesses little backstories and all the owners had their own names and stuff. Don't know if they got that from the developers but it was a weirdly cool level of detail

Used my san andreas guide until the binding finally disintegrated and it was a load of loose pages

I wish I still had my FF8 guide that thing was beautiful although iirc it had a lot of mistakes in it when it came to the monster stats

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i had a bunch of NES and SNES-era nintendo powers that i read to death as a kid. you can't imagine my disappointment when i was old enough to convince my parents to get me a subscription and they'd switched over to a slick EGM-clone format for the n64 era, in place of the distinctive nintendo power style

they did still put out really pretty strategy guides though. they were usually worse than prima's on the actual info but aesthetically they were unmatched since nintendo gave them tons of concept art to stuff into the things. if you ever run across the nintendo power ocarina of time guide, get that poo poo!! it's beautiful

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I look back with (ironic?) fondness on my Final Fantasy VII official strategy guide. It was infamously riddled with errors and oddities.

Straight off the top of my head, decades later, I can remember these:
- It didn't list how to obtain any limit breaks despite listing them all with a brief description. Note that this was a visual description of what the player would see on the screen, and not a description of what they actually did.
- Wrong images for some enemies in the bestiary - IIRC it used a picture of Carry Armor (a boss) for some enemies that were definitely not that
- Screenshots where the characters had nonstandard names like "Smooth" for Cloud and "Biatch" for Aeris (she's a woman, so it's also sexist)
- Wrong names for several Materia (W-Item, W-Summon, and W-Magic were all named with an "X-" instead)
- It spoils the game's major plot elements

A few others I just googled:
- Bestiary was in no particular order. Not alphabetical, that's for sure!
- Apparently one of the bosses had his HP listed as "Midgar" and his level listed as "Area" instead of, you know, numbers.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
On the manual front I remember the manual for Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb was made to look like Indy's journal where the controls were hand written and it had newspaper clippings and stuff. Far more effort than is necessary

Also love the sonic 1 manual just going 'sometimes Dr robotnik will set a bugtrap so devious that you'll have to reset your game. Sucks to be you'

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

the sex ghost posted:

Also love the sonic 1 manual just going 'sometimes Dr robotnik will set a bugtrap so devious that you'll have to reset your game. Sucks to be you'

lmao I think that's explicitly in the Sonic 3 manual too - it's rare to do it accidentally as a kid, but when you do you are Not Happy

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh also, just had a thought - was it GTA San Andreas that had the big fold-out map with its manual? Man, I spent ages poring over that, after reading the manual. More games should come with maps I think - they're always great

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord
shoutout to the Civ II manual that's big enough to practically be a whole book on its own. 272 pages!! admittedly more than half of that pagecount is just overviews of the scenarios packed in with the Gold Edition, lol

iirc it also came with a foldout that had the tech tree on one side and a unit tree on the other, but idk where mine is atm

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

The Versus Books guides were the god drat cream of the crop of strategy guides. Final Fantasy VII and Resident Evil II in particular stick out as just top quality.

Meanwhile, I was one of those chumps that bought the official Final Fantasy IX strategy guide, aka "a $30 book that tells you to go on the internet to find the answer".

Also, lest we forget the GOAT Official Guide, https://archive.org/details/earthboundnintendoplayersguide1995

edit: :sickos:
https://archive.org/details/Final-Fantasy-VII-Versus-Guide/page/n11/mode/2up
https://archive.org/details/ResidentEvil2VersusGuide
https://archive.org/details/ResidentEvil3VersusGuide

SgtScruffy fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Apr 1, 2023

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

TIE Fighter came with a surprisingly long novella about a rookie TIE Fighter pilot as a kind of walkthrough to get you used to the game

https://archive.org/details/tie_fighter_stele_chronicles

The Postman
May 12, 2007

I printed a gamefaqs guide or two in my day (single sided on a 90's inkjet of course)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

The Postman posted:

I printed a gamefaqs guide or two in my day (single sided on a 90's inkjet of course)

Oh wow, that reminded me that I did the same thing! Big ones for Freelancer and Sheep Dog 'n' Wolf, from memory. I got my dad to do it on his work printer though, because even at that age I was 100% behind exploiting workplace resources/stationery :D

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The one I remember the most fondly was the FFX strategy guide I got as a kid. I remember pretty meticulously going through it, writing notes and stuff, I think I got pretty close to 100%ing the game.

It also came with a poster of the sphere grid, which was cool.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I definitely had a strategy guide for Starcraft as a kid but I can't remember much about it. I think it was like info about the factions and then walkthroughs for all the scenarios except they were hard to actually follow because all the accompanying photos were printed in grainy black and white which made it hard to tell what was going on.

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000

SgtScruffy posted:

The Versus Books guides were the god drat cream of the crop of strategy guides. Final Fantasy VII and Resident Evil II in particular stick out as just top quality.
Don’t forget the Street Fighter Alpha 2 guidebook, that and the FFVII one were the best guidebooks ever, aside maybe from the official Morrowind one, which like the Civ II one above was a giant paperback.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..
How has Earthbound not come up yet? Best official strategy guide ever published, and I will brook no argument. This book alone should have ended the argument about whether video games are art.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

SgtScruffy posted:

Meanwhile, I was one of those chumps that bought the official Final Fantasy IX strategy guide, aka "a $30 book that tells you to go on the internet to find the answer".

Also, lest we forget the GOAT Official Guide, https://archive.org/details/earthboundnintendoplayersguide1995

edit: :sickos:
https://archive.org/details/Final-Fantasy-VII-Versus-Guide/page/n11/mode/2up
https://archive.org/details/ResidentEvil2VersusGuide
https://archive.org/details/ResidentEvil3VersusGuide

This times a million. The FFVII author also did the N64 Zeldas, which are on my Mount Rushmore of game guides. Right up there with CyricZ's Yakuza tomes.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

https://archive.org/details/sim-city-2000-power-politics-and-planning-revised-edition-strategy-guide/mode/1up

The SimCity 2000 strategy guide. It is the most detailed and complex guide I have ever read for a game and goes beyond the scope of just an ordinary cheat code collection: It teaches you how to do hexediting, covers every mechanism in the game, provides real life urban planning education and interviews with American city planners, and had an FTP link that contained a lot of historical scenarios of real life city disasters that you could play (I e. Gary, Indiana). I still have my physical copy in the bookshelf.

It set the standard for me of what a strategy guide should be like.

Entorwellian fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 2, 2023

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I have a bunch of old guides and while I got rid of some of them I kept my beat-to-poo poo extremely well-love Donkey Kong Country 1, 2, and 3 guide from Nintendo Power. I loved looking through those guides because they were my favorite games growing up. Later I got the Banjo-Kazooie NP guide from a Nintendo Power renewal months before I even got an N64 and read the heck out of it too.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
I got rid of mine, but I loved my Prima Official Strategy Guide for Empire Earth. It wasn't as intense as some of these other guides, but it did explain the campaigns in full detail and give you tips on how to play competitively, straight from the actually good players.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
My dad had zero interest in playing games with me but would print out FAQs and walkthroughs from gamefaqs at his job and bring them home in big blue binders, and bought me strategy guides for almost every RPG I played. There was one for Xenogears that had tons of great art in it that I'd bring on trips and read when I couldn't play it.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I remember having the Prima guide for like Longbow 2, and had ones for Fallout 3 and Dragon Age 2 and Skyrim, but only still have the Skyrim one even though I never use it because if I need to check something, I just google it.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I remember reading the Kingdom Hearts 2 guidebook in the back of my grandma's car and gasping out loud when I realized that Xemnas and Roxas were anagrams for Ansem and Sora.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

the Majora's Mask strategy guide got me through so many study halls, even though it took me an additional 15 years to actually acquire & play the game.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I recently played Castlevania 3 and checked a scan of the manual to learn what all the powerups and stuff did and it's absolutely wild

note: bats are not, in fact, rodents

Almost every page has something insane on it https://www.thegameisafootarcade.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Castlevania-III-Draculas-Curse-Game-Manual.pdf

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

I recently played Castlevania 3 and checked a scan of the manual to learn what all the powerups and stuff did and it's absolutely wild

note: bats are not, in fact, rodents

Almost every page has something insane on it https://www.thegameisafootarcade.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Castlevania-III-Draculas-Curse-Game-Manual.pdf

That's right- they're bugs

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

printing out a 300 page gamefaqs walk-through on dad's work printer ftmfw

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

It was mentioned earlier, the Morrowind strategy guide was essentially a novel. My brother convinced one of his teachers to let him use it for a book report because of its length. I followed suit when I was of age.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

I have the one good FF7 guide from Versus when the game was released, just kind of accidentally got it instead of the official Brady games guide which was complete dogshit.

Buddy of mine moved away in highschool and had borrowed it, he later mailed it back to me unprompted with a nice note.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
All I can remember at the moment is a couple of guides just missing bits of information. I had a smash bros guide that didn't know how jigglypuff's down b worked and just assumed she was a joke character. The FFVIII guide didn't have the final boss in it, and said strategy wise to use the same strats they gave for some other boss(Ultima Weapon?} which was basically "stay invincible and spam Limit Breaks".

Wish I still had my Pokemon Red Blue guide, it had little stickers of the sprites for you to stick on the pokedex entries when you caught them. I remember never peeling any of them off and it'd be nice to have that pristine sheet.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Threads bringing back memories of Friday nights staying at my aunt's, reading the guide for Tomb Raider, Resident Evil or Dino Crisis for my uncle while he played through them - I was too young to complete games like that at the time but I could read the poo poo out of a guide and feel like I'm contributing. Happy memories.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

Baller Ina posted:

The FFVIII guide didn't have the final boss in it, and said strategy wise to use the same strats they gave for some other boss(Ultima Weapon?} which was basically "stay invincible and spam Limit Breaks".

I think not spoiling the final boss fight was the style at the time for PS1 era guides. Except for Vagrant Story, because the boss has a one hit kill that's kind of difficult to avoid. Curiously, Bradygames PS1 guides go for like $60 bucks on amazon these days.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I still have my mario rpg prima guide and my official earthbound guide that came with the game

I greatly miss that type of media and would regularly read guides for games i didn’t have, just because i liked reading it. Video game magazines too.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
I thought this was so loving cool when I was a kid:

A full novelization of each game in addition to a regular walkthrough. I must have read the novelizations a dozen times. Doubt the writing holds up but 10-year-old me thought it was brilliant.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

I went to four different malls with my cousin looking for this. That was over a decade ago.

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

Fond memories of obsessively reading the Pokémon blue guide, carefully hiding it in my hoodie sleeves so that people wouldn't bully me, ended up getting bullied for having a weird tube for arms :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Warcraft II came with a pretty hefty booklet containing instructions and info on buildings and units. More importantly it had a bunch of artwork and lore for factions and important characters that 12 year old me thought was the coolest thing ever. I'm pretty sure I still have it lying around in a box somewhere.