Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

BrigadierSensible posted:

On Roman, do we know who his next feud will be with? Coz Cody is done, and will be getting beaten up by Brock for the next month or two. So who is "big" or important enough to challenge Roman?

On the same thought, what are they going to do wrt Bloodline stories? Usos vs KO/Sami will be something for a little while. But apart from that they have gently caress all. And even if they try, all the entertaining stuff was Sami, so will it just be interminable long segments of joyless Roman saying "Grr argh I am the Tribal Chief"?

Don't forget endless bits of Paul Heyman screeching about the Tribal Chief and "ACKNOWLEDGE HIM!"

Roman was Vince's pet from the go, and Vince is going to ride that train as long as he possibly can. Roman certainly costs less than Brock and he's now on a Brock-esque limited appearances schedule, so he isn't dropping the titles until SummerSlam at the earliest, and I honestly wouldn't be shocked to see him hang onto the titles until next year's WrestleMania, which will likely be billed as yet another SHOWCASE OF THE IMMORTALS or some poo poo like that. (Vince is still convinced that he can get The Rock back, but even though his schedule has dried up after the wet fart of Black Adam, he can't get insured to wrestle after he ripped his ab muscle in his last match.)

Brock is probably going on vacation again, so now that Cody has been decisively demoted to the midcard, I'm guessing Roman's next feuds will be with some permutation of Omos, Gunther, Bron Breakker, and maybe they recycle the Seth Rollins feud since Logan Paul's a part-timer. Finn, too, possibly, if there's a shakeup in the draft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sara Lee's death has been ruled a suicide. The county medical examiner's office announced that she had a toxic mixture of amphetamines, doxylamine (Unisom, a sleep aid) and alcohol in her system. :smith:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

That DICK! posted:

it could be the freaking money

The thing that a lot of people don't realize is that SAG-AFTRA has excellent benefits and health insurance. Like, really loving good health insurance. However, members of the union have to work a certain number of days (on union projects) in a four-quarter period in order to be eligible, I think currently it's a little over 150. So guys like McDonough, their time on these movies is often limited to two or three days. So they need to keep working so they can hit their days-worked threshold in order to keep their healthcare eligibility.

Ke Huy Quan talked about this around Oscars time. Everything Everywhere All at Once was filmed in early 2020. Quan didn't get any further work until 2022, so he lost his healthcare in 2021.

Timby fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 6, 2023

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jiro posted:

So same as the last update and nothing new since then. That sucks I hope he's doing well. :smith: A part of me hopes he doesn't come back and goes to AEW/ROH to mentor Hobbs or something or get a legit title run with Big Plat that didn't end in bullshit.

As I understand it, Big E's neck injury was so bad that if he had landed even an inch in a different direction taking that suplex from Holland, he likely would have been permanently paralyzed. So, yeah, I don't want to see him actively wrestling again.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Majinfoose posted:

Didn't Rey get his own knee juice?

He got platelet-rich plasma therapy.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Cameo posted:

Raw is Owen literally happened in less than 24 hours from when he fell, let alone when he was reported officially dead.

And WWE already knew that the Benoit deaths were considered foul play by the Atlanta PD by the time Raw is Benoit began airing live.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Eat My Fuc posted:

I also hope Charlotte wins and headlines Mania, goes to AEW and gets a Freddie Mercury gimmick

Wishing for someone to die of AIDS seems a little harsh.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

That DICK! posted:

he did good on that mankind call

JR was feeding Cole lines at that point (JR had begun to recover from his Bell's Palsy attack, just not enough to be back on TV yet).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Island Nation posted:

Not sure Sapp realizes he's being worked here.

Sapp is an occasionally useful idiot.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gonz posted:

“It’s over, Cody. It’s OVER!”

Wrong reference.

Apocalypse Now.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

From the hold and the landing, looks like a possibly dislocated shoulder.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Soul Glo posted:

I’m kind of amazed the media scrum at the end of these things is real? I’ve never watched one, I just assumed they were works.

It drives me nuts that AEW popularized calling them "media scrums."

It's a goddamn press conference. Just say it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MassRafTer posted:

AEW did not popularize that, in combat sports it comes from UFC.

The point remains, though: It's a loving press conference.

For a fake sport.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

fez_machine posted:

With post-production timeline being what they are Fast X Part 2 has presumably been filmed

Hah, no, they don't even have a script, and they've gone all the way back to the drawing board now that Vin Diesel has been outed as a sex monster. Diesel claims it's coming out in April of next year but they would need to begin shooting tomorrow to make that date.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

fez_machine posted:

Holy poo poo. Okay, guess I'm wrong in expecting any kind of competence from that crew.

After Fast X under-performed, Universal got cold feet about how the budget had gotten wildly out of control (with a not-inconsiderable expense being that the VFX crews had to CG nearly every single shot of Diesel because he showed up for the shoot fat and out of shape) and so they want the next movie to have a considerably smaller scale. But, in any event, they are nowhere near being ready to roll cameras on Fast 11.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Whoolighams posted:

this makes sense. it was supposed to be a big deal that Dwayne was finally doing a comic book movie, plus the big deal he made about getting Cavill back, tying his involvement into that deal etc.

The funniest part of that whole situation was Dwayne not only fundamentally misunderstanding the character of Black Adam, but deluding himself into thinking he could execute a putsch and get himself installed as the god king of DC movies, with Black Adam leading a whole bunch of movies down the road (which is why he personally worked out the deal with Cavill, with Cavill himself announcing he was back as DC's Superman).

And then a few days later, along came James Gunn and Peter Safran, who basically said, "lol no."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Alexander Hamilton posted:

Still baffling that a Shazam and a Black Adam movie came out within a year of each other and they never acknowledged one another.

Edit: Or maybe they did, I didn’t see either one

Djimon Hounsou reprises his role of Shazam for a brief cameo in Black Adam.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Drakkel posted:

Isn't it a thing that movies have to make at least 2 to 5 times their budget to actually make money?

25 years ago, the basic rule of thumb was that a movie became profitable after generating 2.5x its production budget (that 2.5x accounting for marketing and promotional spend, distribution costs--striking prints is expensive--the theaters' take of the box office numbers, etc.)

Nowadays, though, the math is a lot fuzzier with digital distribution of movies to theaters, the proliferation of home video, the explosion of selling streaming rights, massive worldwide expansion and the like, and it varies by movie. Man of Steel, for example, was already in the black before it earned a single cent at the box office because of the product placement deals Warner Bros. had worked out. The math is going to get even fuzzier in the coming years now that the Paramount consent decrees of 1948 (which prohibited studios from owning movie theaters) were repealed in 2020.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Vince sold $412 million of TKO stock.

quote:

Vince McMahon, the founder of WWE who resigned from the board of TKO Group earlier this year amid sexual assault allegations against him, filed to sell $411.95 million worth of TKO stock, according to a regulatory filing.

McMahon’s sale comprised 5.35 million shares of TKO, per an SEC filing Monday. That came after he sold 8.4 million shares of Class A common stock in TKO — in sale worth $670.3 million — last November.

As of the end of 2023, McMahon had owned 20.35 million shares of TKO Group’s Class A shares, meaning he still owns about 15 million shares. He was the longtime leader of WWE prior to its September 2023 merger with Endeavor-owned UFC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Codependent Poster posted:

For the most part, but they also let some of them ad lib pretty heavily now. Cody's one of those guys who gets a lot of freedom with his promos.

Cody's given a lot of latitude, and it was reported that Bray Wyatt wrote his own promos. Brian Gewirtz has been The Rock's personal writer for many, many years.