Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

It's long. I think my paperback copy is ~1100 pages including endnotes? A good read if you like tennis or drugs. Have you finished it or did you give up on the entertainment midway through?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
Up there on the shortlist of personal favorite books. I just posted this in the Gravity's Rainbow thread, but I vastly prefer Infinite Jest to GR. The "Lead us not into penn station" quote still pops into my head from time to time

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
I finished it, it's worth it. Once you figure out its deal it really sucks you in.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
(smuggest voice possible) Yeah, it really changes your whole worldview. Like, I'm a completely different person after reading it

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
It was really funny and I enjoyed spending the week or two living in the book.

Was it trying to say that our entertainment is literally killing us or something?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

oh its over that's how you're gonna end it? ok, i guess. Well i'll go read something else now.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Good book imo. I’ve read it twice so this time round I’m just listening to Infinite Cast instead. So glad there’s only one terrible embarrassing AAVE section and it’s really early on so you can get it out of the way and focus on the cool poo poo

Wardine be cry

s_c_a_r_e_
May 9, 2003
:smug:

but seriously, i finished it and i enjoyed it, but i don't think it makes me better than anyone else. it is annoying that this has become THE pretentious book for Book Bros. it is not even close to the most pretentious book i have read. like, read a book because you enjoy it. it's not a competition friends.

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
The vignettes of people were interesting. That guy who locks himself away for a few days to smoke insane amounts of weed gives me mad anxiety.

I thought I didn't like it after I finished it but I get fonder of it as time goes by. Probably because it took so long to read.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

Good book imo. I’ve read it twice so this time round I’m just listening to Infinite Cast instead. So glad there’s only one terrible embarrassing AAVE section and it’s really early on so you can get it out of the way and focus on the cool poo poo

Wardine be cry

it's definitely the books nadir.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

Arrhythmia posted:

it's definitely the books nadir.

Yup, I always recommend people to skip it. Allegedly there were 400-600 pages edited out of the book, so imagine their quality compared to that.

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

I read it a long time ago and don't remember most of it, but I do remember liking it, I guess maybe I should read it again but it's so long. Then again I recently finished reading the entire Baroque Trilogy which is probably like 4000 pages total but that took me like two years.

As far as pretentiousness, I feel like some of Cormac McCarthy's stuff is just as if not more pretentious, but I love that poo poo too so I don't really have a leg to stand on either way.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I remember liking the descriptions of the dad's art films and realizing that the first scene was from one of those.

The guy who mailed the tape initially was the brother, right?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

MK-Ultramarathon posted:

I read it a long time ago and don't remember most of it, but I do remember liking it, I guess maybe I should read it again but it's so long. Then again I recently finished reading the entire Baroque Trilogy which is probably like 4000 pages total but that took me like two years.

As far as pretentiousness, I feel like some of Cormac McCarthy's stuff is just as if not more pretentious, but I love that poo poo too so I don't really have a leg to stand on either way.

Pretentious to me means reaching stylistically beyond the subtext of your work, hence why purple prose with zero contextual reason for it is laughable, but whether you like them or not, Infinite Jest and McCarthy's books clearly have tons of thought put not only into their structure but in what they're trying to communicate.

They're not pretentious, just labeled so by proxy because supposedly pretentious people like to read them or say they've read them.

Pretentious is usually just a meaningless criticism the vast majority of the time, basically just synonymous with "I didn't like it." It's a loaded word that requires clarification in order to justify it, but people use it as willy-nilly as calling something poo poo.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

A Strange Aeon posted:

I remember liking the descriptions of the dad's art films and realizing that the first scene was from one of those.

What? No the first scene is Hal in about 2 years. He takes bad acid and gets ethel merman'd. For the last few chapters he's starting to crack, and everyone keeps mentioning why he's smiling and laughing so much despite him feeling like he's perfectly normal.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Arrhythmia posted:

What? No the first scene is Hal in about 2 years. He takes bad acid and gets ethel merman'd. For the last few chapters he's starting to crack, and everyone keeps mentioning why he's smiling and laughing so much despite him feeling like he's perfectly normal.

There wasn't a film about a kid in an interview and being really weird? IDK, it has been a few years and it's a hard book to keep in brain RAM

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyZFxf3Uz-8

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

Arrhythmia posted:

This is the read I've got on it as well. With the bonus idea that the book loops back around on itself, the first scene fits neatly onto the end of the book and so it's 'infinite'. Admittedly it's been a while since I read it and I think I got that interpretation off the internet in the first place.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
i read IJ with a gun pointed at my head so anyone who saw me reading it just acknowledged how smart i was and didn't call me pretentious or whatever.

i think Wallace's short stories are better--the form forces him to reel it in a bit--but it's a pretty good book. people will talk about Underworld or Gravity's Rainbow when they talk about IJ, but Pynchon's V is lowkey the best of the crazy maximalist pomo novels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I don't disagree on Wallace's stories (and non-fiction too) being great, but reading Oblivion or Brief Histories just doesn't carry the same cultural weight as tackling IJ.

His first novel, the Broom of the System, despite having a few good parts, I didn't find particularly memorable or edifying.