Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Good Morning Evil Dead fans feel free to discuss Evil Dead Rise in this thread

Directed by Lee Cronin

My thoughts are that it totally loving slaps and there's yet to be a bad entry in the Evil Dead Series. Its also goopy and bloody as hell.

Also feel free to discuss other Evil Dead stuff if you want and also put in a ranking.

Evil Dead 2
Army of Darkness
Evil Dead Remake
Evil Dead Rise
Ash Vs
Evil Dead Original

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

We saw this as a group yesterday and it pretty much whipped rear end.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Not really interested in Rise but your thread title is impeccable. Well done.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Does anyone threaten to swallow souls?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

MacheteZombie posted:

Does anyone threaten to swallow souls?

Yes!

In terms of modern re-boots/pseudo-sequels, I think this one is pretty good insofar as every homage makes narrative sense or is totally unobtrusive, except for "Come Get Some" which felt a little much, and even slightly out of character and tonally off for where it occurred in the film.

My ranking:

Evil Dead Rise
Ash vs Evil Dead
Army of Darkness (I know it has issues, but it makes me grin like a moron)
Evil Dead 2
Evil Dead

I've seen the remake, but only once, so I need to watch it again to rank it. All of them are good to great, so putting the original last isn't blasphemy.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 24, 2023

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

My ranking:

Evil Dead 2
Evil Dead (2013)
Evil Dead Rise
Evil Dead
Army of Darkness

Rise loving rips. That title card reveal deserves to become iconic.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

My ranking:

Evil Dead 2
Evil Dead (2013)
Evil Dead Rise
Evil Dead
Army of Darkness

Rise loving rips. That title card reveal deserves to become iconic.

This is almost exactly my ranking, though I'd swap Army of Darkness and the original. Though, as was said before:

Disco Pope posted:

All of them are good to great, so putting the original last isn't blasphemy.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Oh yeah, that's a very granular ranking, AoD is still better than 90% of movies.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I just got back from Rise. I'd put it last on my list, but it was still good. Not "great", not even "really good"... but more than "okay". A solid good.

My ranking: ED 1 original, ED 2, Ash vs., ED remake, Army, Rise

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
They are all my children. I think I’d go

Remake
Rise
Army of darkness
Evil dead

I dunno I haven’t rewatched them in a minute so this is off the top of my head. I should probably give ash vs another chance too since I bowed out only like 3 or 4 episodes in

Ambitious Spider fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Apr 25, 2023

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

2013/Rise
Army of Darkness

Firmly in the same category as Chucky and Scream now (the "not a bad film to be found" franchises)

Never doubted for a second obviously but still I'm so loving happy about how much rear end this kicked :woop:

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

This movie is the bottom of the list for me, which only means it's really loving good 'CAUSE THE SERIES NEVER FELL OFF, BABY. :boom:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I mean I can't hate a movie that just goes for a good old final boss monster made up of deadite body parts. I can't believe nobody thought of that sooner.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
If EDR continues to do as well as it should, we're likely in for more movies sooner rather than later.

quote:

Producer Bruce Campbell told AV Club earlier this week, “We’re going to try and do them more like every two or three years rather than every 10 years. It’s also the first time Sam is working with his brother Ivan to create an overall Bible that will give future writers and directors an idea of where this thing should go next to potentially tie in some of these stories. So I think it’s going to get a little more tied in as the years go by.”

“But because it’s all about the books. It could be a book in the past, a book in the future. It’s yet to be determined,” Campbell added in that interview.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3759463/evil-dead-rise-wins-at-the-box-office-and-were-probably-getting-more-evil-dead-movies-soon/

It's hard to rank 'em (I love them all in their own way), but -

Evil Dead OG - I just really have an affinity for shoestring-budget horror, and the dry/subtle dark humor in this one is more hilarious to me than the more slapstick stuff
Army of Darkness
Evil Dead 2013
Evil Dead Rise
Evil Dead 2

Currently watching Ash vs. Evil Dead for the first time and I'm digging it so far.

e: ehhhhhh did some swapsies on my list

discoukulele fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 25, 2023

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bro I want to make an evil dead movie

I’ve now found a new life goal

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Bro I want to make an evil dead movie

I’ve now found a new life goal

Lemme know when production starts, I'll carry coffees, throw buckets of blood, let u chainsaw my hand off, w/e

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Chainsaw both hands, have two chainsaw hands.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Chainsaws for legs and arms

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The opening credits to this are very good, but otherwise the framing sequence contributes nothing, yeah? It's just some other poo poo that randomly happens (and feels like sequel bait tbh).

Like, I dunno, generally when something promises a 24 hours earlier explanation for the opening, I feel like the implicit genre promise is that the film is going to catch up to that period and reframe it in some way, or continue the plot, but it doesn't. It's exactly what it looks like.

Also weird: making a big deal about the fire escape and the locked apartment only to never go in.

Enjoyed the film, but thought these two things were a bit odd.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Apr 25, 2023

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Open Source Idiom posted:

The opening credits to this are very good, but otherwise the framing sequence contributes nothing, yeah? It's just some other poo poo that randomly happens (and feels like sequel bait tbh).

Like, I dunno, generally when something promises a 24 hours earlier explanation for the opening, I feel like the implicit genre promise is that the film is going to catch up to that period and reframe it in some way, or continue the plot, but it doesn't. It's exactly what it looks like.

Also weird: making a big deal about the fire escape and the locked apartment only to never go in.

Enjoyed the film, but thought these two things were a bit odd.

I would assume the Also Weird spoilers contribute to the feeling of hopelessness and claustrophobia. Things that could have been useful that turn out to be unobtainable. I think they did a really swell job this movie creating that sense of isolation with the setting.

I didn't enjoy Evil Dead 2013. I didn't feel any connection to the characters and it felt like it went nowhere. And that nerd guy kept staying alive - like gently caress.

THIS iteration was incredible. And I feel like the 24 hour future part in the beginning was great because it tricked us!

Drifter fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Apr 25, 2023

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

Evil Dead dub plates for Record store day tie-in.

Also, I thought it was a fun piece of backstory that they mentioned that there are 3 books, which yeah sequel bait, but is a fun thing to tie the 3 stories together should Bruce ever want to strap on the chainsaw again. And the casting of the ladies of Evil Dead never misses either so that would be a fun thing to see too.

I am required by Michigan law to love Evil dead, luckily I have yet to be disappointed.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Ambitious Spider posted:

They are all my children. I think I’d go

Remake
Rise
Army of darkness
Evil dead

I dunno I haven’t rewatched them in a minute so I’m his is off the top of my head/ should probably give ash vs another chance too since you bowed out only like 3 or 4 episodes in

Ash vs Evil Dead takes a few episodes to get going (although I really like the first episode) then is really strong for a good while, slightly wobbles near the end of Season 2 and then has a strong final season (even if I'm not crazy about the ending in every regard).

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I think my favorite part of the film was The blood elevator , goddamn was that good

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Please note that my oldest daughter’s first name is Raimi. So wife and I were huge fans in 1999.

Finally caught Rise yesterday, ultimately felt like a near miss, at least it wasn’t too dour and boring to watch like the 2014 whatever. Opening was great, from the first shot to the title card, and the fake in media res was funny and clever as hell. Brave and nice to avoid blatant fan service until the misplaced Army line that didn’t quite work. There were a lot of places where was room, so I’m betting on cut from the script or left on the floor. Liked the 88 wagon though.

Great claustrophobic too-busy design, VERY nice lighting and camera work, but would have been well-served by better darks, hoping the home release is in Vision. Audio was solid but not memorable. Also hoping some sequel remembers this thing called laughter, that was always a big part of the joy of the originals. Without it doesn’t truly feel ED.

Great script though, I can see why this got made, it would have worked independently of ED with a few changes. Which on second thought isn’t that much of a compliment.

Questions:
Clearly this was written to be Detroit then moved to CA. Why? It was shot in NZ fer chrissake.
Why didn’t Ash show up right after the elevator scene and gently caress things up even more?

Rankings:
Army
Series (thinking about the good eps I put this above Army, then I remembered others)
1 (Rape Tree did not age well)
Rise
Pillsbury Dough Boy short

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
The last post made me think about Rise a little more closely. I still really like it, but Evil Dead really feels like a franchise that can change lives. I call it "My Star Wars", because while those never really resonated with me, probably because I was a little old when I first saw one, Evil Dead really did.

I saw Army of Darkness at first at about 11. It was subtitled "The Medieval Dead", but I didn't know it was an Evil Dead movie, I just thought that was a pun. It was just this live action cartoon with a downer ending. It wasn't "scary" but still had monsters and blood. I loved it, it really impressed itself upon me.

It was a couple of years before I saw Evil Dead 2 and made the connection. When I turned 15, I bought Army of Darkness on VHS as my first 15-certificate movie and became obsessed. The humour just sang to me, and Raimi is the earliest I remember getting interested in the work of a specific director, to the extent I ended up studying film.

And as very good as Rise is, I don't see it ever making that impression like 2 or AoD could. It's good, but it doesn't have the character Raimi's films do.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Remulak posted:

Pillsbury Dough Boy short

What?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Remulak posted:

Questions:
Clearly this was written to be Detroit then moved to CA. Why? It was shot in NZ fer chrissake.
Why didn’t Ash show up right after the elevator scene and gently caress things up even more?

They don't get earthquakes in Detroit, which is pretty important to the plot.

Because this is the reboot universe, where there is no Ash.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Ash has also had a pretty complete arc now, from scared college kid, to having his mind snap and reinventing himself as a oddly competent blowhard who goes on to be the bar bore who won't shut up about his high-school football days (who then learns to let people in, somewhat).

I'd kind of be upset to see Ash be just the "groovy, baby" guy again, but I do hope Campbell at least continues to cameo in some way.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'm pretty sure Campbell's cameo is when their playing the vinyl record and you hear a voice saying something in response

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
Yeah, he's one of the opposing priests

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Remulak posted:

Also hoping some sequel remembers this thing called laughter, that was always a big part of the joy of the originals. Without it doesn’t truly feel ED.

Questions:

The first movie wasn’t a comedy. And they’ve been shooting all evil dead media in NZ since 2013, including ash vs evil dead.

And ash didn’t show up because he got sent to the future.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Solid entry into the series. I’m not sure why but it does feel scaled down somewhat, I think the setting does that though good of breaking the woods norm. I thought the actors, especially the actresses were great. Alyssa Sutherland did a drat fine job as the main deadite and mom, she was effectively scary and her make up and look were great. I did feel there were comedic moments here but dark, my theater did have people laughing at stuff like “Titty sucking parasites.” I did appreciate that there was no solution or putting things back into the box. Just doom as stated by the record. Also once the physical bodies were destroyed the spirit possessed another.

I didn’t feel it reached the highs of Evil Dead 2 or Army of Darkness but this was still a grand time.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
https://youtu.be/BVdn6Kf3-8E

Also, Midwest does have earthquakes, just fewer than CA.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Open Source Idiom posted:

The film caught up to that period. The last scene of the film is another resident of the apartment getting possessed before her vacation she's on in the first scene. It's a way of showing that even though the good (Beth and the kid) escaped this part of the world, so did the evil because they didn't really stop it

And the director agrees with me and points it out in one of his ideas for a sequel https://variety.com/2023/film/news/evil-dead-rise-sequel-ideas-r-rating-interview-1235578185/ Spoilers obviously in the article

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
I'd love it if they did #1. I feel like we're due for another period piece.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
As much as I want an epic horror movie about the origins of the book I would rather not learn too much. It being an ominous presence and evil that’s somewhat left to imagination is good.

I do think a period piece would be good tho

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ash vs Evil dead went pretty far into the mythology of all that stuff so if you’re jonesing for that, you got something to watch

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

CelticPredator posted:

Ash vs Evil dead went pretty far into the mythology of all that stuff so if you’re jonesing for that, you got something to watch

Yeah I did see the series. It was good.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
a period piece would loving rule because Army of Darkness exists lol

they have an incredible opportunity to at the very least do one more sequel with total freedom to do it however they see fit. also the vinyl specifically mentions 3 books so let's fuckin goooo

but i do also like how they stripped the lore down to the very basics of book = bad

like lol just do that in an ancient vatican church where everyone loses their poo poo

e: i do like the idea of a new setting and characters moreso than trying to find a new ash type

CelticPredator posted:

The first movie wasn’t a comedy.

i think even fans forget this a lot but its what made the remake so good

everyone loves how 2 went all out in the best way and i was really excited to see how they'd handle a sequel to the reboot. they did a really great job with it.

i had given up hope and didnt even know this movie was in production until i saw a teaser for it recently so i was very psyched to see it

Gatts posted:

I’m not sure why but it does feel scaled down somewhat, I think the setting does that though good of breaking the woods norm.

its great they did that. i went back and rewatched the remake and remember it worked very well at the time but got convuluted towards the end because it was modernizing a lot of stuff that probably only existing fans would have appreciated since it seemed to only have been done that way to put a spin on things

i bet Rise will be the first entry for most ppl seeing it and them stripping it down as much as they did rules. my favorite parts of these movies are how hosed up the turnovers and interactions of the posessed are and that being practically the entire focus of Rise is exactly what i wanted

i feel like they pulled some punches in a few ways which is understandable but drat this movie could have been even gnarlier if they were uncompromisingly dark with it because a lot of the comedy still works regardless

Thief fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Apr 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
I didn't realize that my friend who went to go see it with me had never seen an Evil Dead movie before. He liked it a lot and wants to check out the others. So yeah, I think/hope that EDR is a good gateway for people.