Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Thief posted:

i feel like they pulled some punches in a few ways which is understandable but drat this movie could have been even gnarlier if they were uncompromisingly dark with it because a lot of the comedy still works regardless

The only flaw I have with the film, and definitely an instance of this, is I wish more had been done with the cheese grater

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I'm trying to figure out what the "rules" are for deadites and Kandarian demons in regards to daylight. In ED2, they sort of established this rule that the demons only have power at night and they go dormant or whatever during the day. Ash is fully possessed at one point, which goes away when the sun comes out. But then in AoD you have deadites running around in the day, and in Rise they're out in the day again and totally fine. They also seem to be able to just blot out the sun with their demon powers whenever they feel like.

It kind of feels like they were setting up a new rule for the demons to follow in ED2 but then just kinda dropped it. I mean the subheading for ED2 was "Dead By Dawn" and they made a big deal about the evil going away with the daylight, but :shrug:

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I always figured that whatever animates the deadites just makes up random rules to make it more interesting.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
There's just one Kandarian demon (it's just one demon doing nearly everything you see in every Evil Dead media piece) and it doesn't have rules, just habits.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

imo Evil Dead ~lore~ is sort of arbitrary and irreconcilable because it comes from an era before we had poo poo like The LucasFilm Story Group and fan wikis and all the accompanying pedantry, so as long as there’s some kind of loose effort to keep things a little blurry but otherwise sensible it’s prob fine

this kicks rear end, I can’t believe I’ve never seen it.

I also can’t believe I never put two and two together that Linda and Scotty are named after their doofy filmmaking friends, especially given ED1 is like the most successful regional horror film ever made—of course it’s gonna carry some of that hometown charm with it

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Chris James 2 posted:

The film caught up to that period. The last scene of the film is another resident of the apartment getting possessed before her vacation she's on in the first scene. It's a way of showing that even though the good (Beth and the kid) escaped this part of the world, so did the evil because they didn't really stop it

And the director agrees with me and points it out in one of his ideas for a sequel https://variety.com/2023/film/news/evil-dead-rise-sequel-ideas-r-rating-interview-1235578185/ Spoilers obviously in the article

It didn't actually catch up with that time period though. That scene it still before the opening.

Like, yeah, I understand how it all works, and that it effectively allows for a potential sequel to bypass the need for an opening where someone reads from the book (something I imagine screen writers would get annoyed by). But it also doesn't avoid that those scenes have absolutely no bearing on the rest of the film -- particularly if no actual sequel materialises from that hook.

IMO, in the film in and of itself, it's just random rear end plotting that breaks the rules of classical structure for absolutely no payoff. Tbh it ends up as a detriment to the film, since it means the film effectively has to restart about ten minutes in.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Kandarian demons just exist to gently caress with people and don't have any "rules," really. Ash is their perfect antagonist because he doesn't give a gently caress about rules either, and barely cares about anything. The funniest thing in the series is the result of them attempting to make a deal with Ash.

My ranking (and I weigh a lot towards creativity and working with what you have):

Evil Dead 2
The Evil Dead
Ash vs. The Evil Dead
Evil Dead
Demons/Demons 2
Army of Darkness
Evil Dead Rise

Rise is still "pretty good," but it seemed to miss some of the mark of what the Requel "got." Evil Dead had some perfectly timed humor and fantastic escalation where it started like "generic 2000s horror" and ended up being full out there crazy Evil Dead. it also made it a great movie experience where I started off disliking the movie for not feeling like The Evil Dead to the gradual escalation and then me being all-in. And contained a nice protagonist switch that wasn't entirely expected. This one has tons of gore and stuff and a chainsaw and a boomstick but it was just missing something, and I don't know if it's the setting or basing it around a family or what.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Darko posted:

Kandarian demons just exist to gently caress with people and don't have any "rules," really. Ash is their perfect antagonist because he doesn't give a gently caress about rules either, and barely cares about anything. The funniest thing in the series is the result of them attempting to make a deal with Ash.

My ranking (and I weigh a lot towards creativity and working with what you have):

Evil Dead 2
The Evil Dead
Ash vs. The Evil Dead
Evil Dead
Demons/Demons 2
Army of Darkness
Evil Dead Rise

Rise is still "pretty good," but it seemed to miss some of the mark of what the Requel "got." Evil Dead had some perfectly timed humor and fantastic escalation where it started like "generic 2000s horror" and ended up being full out there crazy Evil Dead. it also made it a great movie experience where I started off disliking the movie for not feeling like The Evil Dead to the gradual escalation and then me being all-in. And contained a nice protagonist switch that wasn't entirely expected. This one has tons of gore and stuff and a chainsaw and a boomstick but it was just missing something, and I don't know if it's the setting or basing it around a family or what.

What's interesting is that it's not the first time members of a family have been pitted against either other by Kandarian demons. Ash's sister, Cheryl, was the victim of the tree in the first film (although I wasn't aware of this relationship until Ash vs Evil Dead), the archaeologist character in Evil Dead 2 encounters her possessed mother, even Linda and Ash have some kind of relationship, but Rise is the first one where those interpersonal relationships have mattered (although maybe the remake did more with this, I really need to rewatch it).

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
I felt like the reboot did a good job of exploring family dynamics, too. Mia's brother, David, was in the cabin to help her with her go through her withdrawal period, and deeper family dynamics started to come out their mother had died and he was absent, and the demon posessing Mia plays on this dynamic a lot; i feel like it low-key implies that this might've been the root of her heroin addiction, too..

FYI Evil Dead: The GOTY Edition is out today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wrg54GrpSEU

edit: it's also 34% off on Steam, so like $32.

discoukulele fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 26, 2023

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

I was bored rigid outside a couple cool little moments (title card probably was the best). I guess I just don't like the newer films.

I'm still with Limmy's trailer reaction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUo1qGukStA

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

It was fine. It’s perfectly okay for a cheapmovie that we’re probably lucky didnt go straight to streaming to be a 3/5 star affair. I don’t feel like I wasted my time or money.

Probably could have gone harder in a few places but I feel like the inclusion of children forced a bit of taking the foot off the gas of the usual runaway train that is Evil Dead. Resident Evil Dead final boss was a dope change of pace.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

weekly font posted:

It was fine. It’s perfectly okay for a cheapmovie that we’re probably lucky didnt go straight to streaming to be a 3/5 star affair. I don’t feel like I wasted my time or money.

Probably could have gone harder in a few places but I feel like the inclusion of children forced a bit of taking the foot off the gas of the usual runaway train that is Evil Dead. Resident Evil Dead final boss was a dope change of pace.

Yeah, maybe it's the kids (responding to all of the comments after my post). Kids just can't get the same kind of battle damage as adults in movies, so you could feel punches pulled with the kids. Remake had none, so everyone felt brutally even.

I was actually hoping the youngest would somehow become this Ash due to glass cutting the sister turning her towards the end, which would have been utterly stupid ridiculous, but fit into the Evil Dead universe, given how goofy Ash vs. got.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The kids looked like they had a blast, so it’s a shame boring moms who rate movies and run studios can’t get over it and let the kids be gored up

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Were you all not as squicked out by the glass swallowing as I was? That was hosed up and happened to a kid!

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
clearly the movie would have been better if they had the little girl turn and say horrible things before the ratking monster but lol

also did the cat in the vent survive? 🙀

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

Thief posted:

also did the cat in the vent survive? 🙀

Yes.

I mean, that's what I'm choosing to believe at least and nothing will convince me otherwise. :colbert:

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I still haven’t seen it but I read an interview with Cronin and he said yes to that

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
I left the theater honestly thinking the cat was deadite-ified and that's who attacked and infected the intro lady but if the director says otherwise I'm not gonna argue

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I rewatched 2013 last night and I still think it's very good and that the drug recovery angle adds some nice thematic weight, but every character suffers from major horror movie stupidity syndrome and it hews a little close to the wave of horror remakes that it was part of in terms of its look and sound. It does turn into a pretty fun thrill ride and has some great splatter, but I think I'd place it in the lower tier.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Disco Pope posted:

I rewatched 2013 last night and I still think it's very good and that the drug recovery angle adds some nice thematic weight, but every character suffers from major horror movie stupidity syndrome and it hews a little close to the wave of horror remakes that it was part of in terms of its look and sound. It does turn into a pretty fun thrill ride and has some great splatter, but I think I'd place it in the lower tier.

The original was full of horror movie stupidity syndrome as well, and I felt it was kind of part of the charm. If it wasn't a remake of 1, I probably would feel differently.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Just saw it. Enjoyable but a little annoyed at the overused of scary violin strings for things that weren't scary and the digital effects. It got better as it went on, there was plenty of visual flair with the split diopter shots and Raimi esque angles. Loved the final Deadite monstrosity.

ED2
AoD
Ash vs
ED 2013
ED1
Rise

ED1 I haven't seen in so long that it could easily change positions.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

King Vidiot posted:

I'm trying to figure out what the "rules" are for deadites and Kandarian demons in regards to daylight. In ED2, they sort of established this rule that the demons only have power at night and they go dormant or whatever during the day. Ash is fully possessed at one point, which goes away when the sun comes out. But then in AoD you have deadites running around in the day, and in Rise they're out in the day again and totally fine. They also seem to be able to just blot out the sun with their demon powers whenever they feel like.

It kind of feels like they were setting up a new rule for the demons to follow in ED2 but then just kinda dropped it. I mean the subheading for ED2 was "Dead By Dawn" and they made a big deal about the evil going away with the daylight, but :shrug:

If I'm remembering rightly, it was handled in one of the comic book series. There's the first deadite who's kinda considered king of the deadites to the point other deadites are terrified of him and if his name's said three times by someone pure hearted so he manifests, the daylight prohibition's gone. Guess who managed to say his name the three times when they were back in time...

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

Darko posted:

The original was full of horror movie stupidity syndrome as well, and I felt it was kind of part of the charm. If it wasn't a remake of 1, I probably would feel differently.

What elevated the original from being a generic horror was the creativity Raimi and co. brought to it. You had parts like the Three Stooges inspired blood leaking everywhere in the basement, Ash putting his hand in the mirror and just the kinetic camera work make the original look like no other horror movie at the time. It was just different from everything else.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I enjoyed this one a lot but I kind of had to laugh at the idea of some priest taking down notes by cutting his own vinyl in the middle of the woods in 1923, all why he’s being attacked by deadites. I know it’s a callback to the reel-to-reel in the original films but still.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Apr 30, 2023

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Drunkboxer posted:

I enjoyed this one a lot but I kind of had to laugh at the idea of some priest taking down notes by cutting his own vinyl in the middle of the woods in 1923, all why he’s being attacked by deadites. I know it’s a callback to the reel-to-reel in the original films but still.

Wasn't he in a mission in boom-era Los Angeles?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I mean, I assume that was because Danny needed a way to play the recordings, and it'd be a bit of a stretch for a teenager to randomly have a reel-to-reel player in his bedroom.

I guess a better solution would've been to move the year that the priest made the recording up to like the 80s and had it on a cassette tape but :shrug:

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

Alright then how would a demon lady put her evil black fingernail on a cassette tape and have the recording come out of her mouth? Can you answer that for me pal?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

oh god oh gently caress posted:

Alright then how would a demon lady put her evil black fingernail on a cassette tape and have the recording come out of her mouth? Can you answer that for me pal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vKH3hPvBrE

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

Science is well established

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

oh god oh gently caress posted:

It's Evil Dead, she could probably just crack the tape open and slurp the tape like a big spaghetti noodle and play it out of her rear end or something.

I can suspend disbelief for the deadites, but physical media better make diegetic sense, dammit!

e: lol, I just started watching the Half in the Bag about EDR and Mike and Jay have this exact same conversation

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 30, 2023

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

Yeah that doesn't make a drat lick of sense. Fraid it's gotta be a record

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
main thing bugging me is did beginning girl just kinda road trip with it dormant or did the demon decide to play the long game

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Alan Smithee posted:

main thing bugging me is did beginning girl just kinda road trip with it dormant or did the demon decide to play the long game

I assumed played the long game, but her dickhead boyfriend with the drone mentions drugging her because she was acting up, so there must have been some wackiness.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
hope the kid got paid enough for therapy cuz drat

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Ambitious Spider posted:

I dunno I haven’t rewatched them in a minute so this is off the top of my head. I should probably give ash vs another chance too since I bowed out only like 3 or 4 episodes in

Someone else already addressed this, but I felt the same. But I stuck it out and the show really found it's feet. You could tell that at first they wanted to keep the more "serious" elements, but there's a point where it realises what it needs to be and just goes balls out. There were moments in the later seasons where I was thinking "ok, this is it... can't escalate anymore" and then something more insane would happen

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

the fight in the sperm bank in the 80s ftw

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

the fight in the sperm bank in the 80s ftw

Was that before or after the mortuary fight head up the cadaver's rear end with full dick on head action?

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I think after but I’m not 100%

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Glad to hear that this is getting a good reception, looking forward to catching it on streaming whenever that happens.

Slightly related tweet:

https://twitter.com/dailyshemp/status/1651961236060270593?t=DziQjYF9q0X25h_ucZLWDw&s=19

Has there ever been any explanation or analysis of why Bruce Campbell didn't have a bigger career? Dude is talented and handsome as hell, I would've figured him to break out more back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Mat Cauthon posted:

Glad to hear that this is getting a good reception, looking forward to catching it on streaming whenever that happens.

Slightly related tweet:

https://twitter.com/dailyshemp/status/1651961236060270593?t=DziQjYF9q0X25h_ucZLWDw&s=19

Has there ever been any explanation or analysis of why Bruce Campbell didn't have a bigger career? Dude is talented and handsome as hell, I would've figured him to break out more back in the day.

I saw him live and he joked (or was being brutally honest) that army of darkness is the reason