Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Mat Cauthon posted:

Has there ever been any explanation or analysis of why Bruce Campbell didn't have a bigger career? Dude is talented and handsome as hell, I would've figured him to break out more back in the day.

I don't think we'll ever really know because he's both handled it well and joked whenever the question comes up, but it seems like a combo of things

Getting pigeonholed into things - didn't want to do gory comedy stuff forever, which is part of why he wants to be done playing Ash; when it was discovered he was good at one-off TV appearances too all the shows wanted him guesting; came up at the wrong time of being himself (studios wanted either handsome or goofy, not both because they didn't think at the time audiences saw a lot of potential in, or wanted, both)
Also he either wasn't great at auditions or just had bad luck of who auditioned before/after. Lost out on The Phantom, lost out on Barton Fink, lost out on the Rocketeer, lost out on being John Doggett in X-Files, supposedly also lost out on They Live, Pretty Woman, and Speed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Campbell covers why his career stayed B status in his autobiography - his style of acting is hammy, and he's the sort of guy who's dream project was 2005's Man With the Screaming Brain - it's impressive he's had as big of a career as is!

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Open Source Idiom posted:

The opening credits to this are very good, but otherwise the framing sequence contributes nothing, yeah? It's just some other poo poo that randomly happens (and feels like sequel bait tbh).

Like, I dunno, generally when something promises a 24 hours earlier explanation for the opening, I feel like the implicit genre promise is that the film is going to catch up to that period and reframe it in some way, or continue the plot, but it doesn't. It's exactly what it looks like.

Also weird: making a big deal about the fire escape and the locked apartment only to never go in.

Enjoyed the film, but thought these two things were a bit odd.

Agreed, not doing anything with that door bothered me way too much. I was convinced it was going to be this story’s narrative equivalent of either the destroyed bridge or ash going into the cellar to retrieve the pages.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Blood Boils posted:

Campbell covers why his career stayed B status in his autobiography - his style of acting is hammy, and he's the sort of guy who's dream project was 2005's Man With the Screaming Brain - it's impressive he's had as big of a career as is!

Yeah I'm Confessions of a B Movie actor I never got the impression he was terribly upset he never made it huge. He had a lot of fun and made enough money to be comfortable.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Campbell's had pretty decent success later on especially with Burn Notice.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Apparently Bruce suggested to James Gunn that he play Superman for a Kingdom Come adaptation

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 01:43 on May 4, 2023

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gunn could do it. He’s like Rob zombie in that he props up the best underrated character actors

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Disrespecting Bruce like that. Shameful

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Apparently Bruce suggested to James Gunn that he play Superman for a Kingdom Come adaptation

Kingdom Come is a surprisingly bad comic once you get past Ross' art, so they're definitely gonna try and adapt it aren't they . .

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The suicide jumper scene from All-Star but with Bruce Campbell Superman

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I'm not a superstitious man, but I wouldn't risk putting Bruce anywhere near the "curse of superman".

Didn't he play Lex Luthor in the Dean Cain show?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

ruddiger posted:

The suicide jumper scene from All-Star but with Bruce Campbell Superman
Mugging not hugging.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Chris James 2 posted:

I don't think we'll ever really know because he's both handled it well and joked whenever the question comes up, but it seems like a combo of things

Getting pigeonholed into things - didn't want to do gory comedy stuff forever, which is part of why he wants to be done playing Ash; when it was discovered he was good at one-off TV appearances too all the shows wanted him guesting; came up at the wrong time of being himself (studios wanted either handsome or goofy, not both because they didn't think at the time audiences saw a lot of potential in, or wanted, both)
Also he either wasn't great at auditions or just had bad luck of who auditioned before/after. Lost out on The Phantom, lost out on Barton Fink, lost out on the Rocketeer, lost out on being John Doggett in X-Files, supposedly also lost out on They Live, Pretty Woman, and Speed

I'm sure it didn't help that he was trying to make his break at the same time as Matt Dillon, who basically looked the same and was younger and a bit easier to take seriously.

The thing with Bruce Campbell is that he looks a little too much like a movie star. Like, his perfect role is probably playing a movie star, or maybe a gigolo or something. If he had a time machine he could probably clean up doing Rock Hudson-type romance movies in the 50s.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1654554360746057732?s=46&t=TKBWQ50Y9b4x4FPJYcsfEw

Already officially made more money than any other film in the franchise, and it's only been out 3 weeks

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Chris James 2 posted:

https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1654554360746057732?s=46&t=TKBWQ50Y9b4x4FPJYcsfEw

Already officially made more money than any other film in the franchise, and it's only been out 3 weeks

Sam Raimi played the long game and finally won

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

This owned, I was ready to like it but it way surpassed my expectations.

I think the very end coulda been way punchier though if a deadite cat popped up outta nowhere to attack the girl leading into the opening.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Do we know who voiced the priest? I cannot find who that was. It sounded so much like Mark Strong because it reminded me a lot of his audio recordings in Sunshine.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

AccountSupervisor posted:

Do we know who voiced the priest? I cannot find who that was. It sounded so much like Mark Strong because it reminded me a lot of his audio recordings in Sunshine.

Bruce Campbell

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Almost Blue posted:

Bruce Campbell
I think they mean the main priest, not the cameo background voice priest. And I can't find it either.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Is it bonkers to say it sounded like Russel Crowe?

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

EDR was okay. felt a couple notches above a decent Blumhouse direct-to-streamer, but not as creative or madcap or original as I’d hoped. I’m bummed!!

I’m glad it’s making a lot of money though, hopefully the next one takes way bigger swings (and makes better use of its setting—my god)

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Is it bonkers to say it sounded like Russel Crowe?

Pope's exorcist crossover event

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Disco Pope posted:

I'm not a superstitious man, but I wouldn't risk putting Bruce anywhere near the "curse of superman".

Didn't he play Lex Luthor in the Dean Cain show?

Nope, that was John Shea

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Nope, that was John Shea

Yeah, he played a different character, but he was in there.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
It's loving bullshit that Evil Dead has been remade or remixed like 5 times since it came out but we haven't gotten a remake of Army Of Darkness

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Speleothing posted:

It's loving bullshit that Evil Dead has been remade or remixed like 5 times since it came out but we haven't gotten a remake of Army Of Darkness

given how the next will make the reboot a trilogy there is hope they do something wild with it but i doubt anything will ever be as goofy as AoD lol

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I think there were issues with rights-wrangling for a bunch of years that sort of left AoD on the outs—the references in Ash vs are oblique and by the time they got what they needed the show had ended.

the game, funnily enough, seems to be the first Evil Dead project with characters from everything; I’m seeing they added Mia and David from 2013 recently!

all this to say I think Army is back in the fold now

Pretzel Rod Serling fucked around with this message at 00:53 on May 13, 2023

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I know they've done all kinds of crazy comic book crossovers with Ash, but I would legit love to see Ash in the old west, even better if it's an Ash/Brisco County Jr teamup.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Ash n jack of all tades

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Thief posted:

given how the next will make the reboot a trilogy there is hope they do something wild with it but i doubt anything will ever be as goofy as AoD lol

Are the two reboots in continuity with one another?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Who knows

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Sure

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Lmao

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

felt a couple notches above a decent Blumhouse direct-to-streamer,

I felt the same way until the last twenty or so minutes. That’s when I really felt the evil dead vibe and it was getting pretty fun

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Finally saw this. Was fun, glad it got made, felt like it was gesturing at some emotional beats that it didn't really hit and i wish the kids had a bit more... i dunno, 'zest' in their performances, but on the whole we liked it

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

they famously only bothered to work out a lore bible like two years ago in preparation for EDR

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

FastestGunAlive posted:

I felt the same way until the last twenty or so minutes. That’s when I really felt the evil dead vibe and it was getting pretty fun

this was also how I felt about 2013: it was a fairly standard 2013 horror movie until the last 20 minutes in the exact way EDR felt like a standard 2023 horror movie. but the ending for EDR, in contrast to 2013’s, didn’t grab me, so imo it mostly fell flat

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Thief posted:

Who says deadites can't attack a medieval community in the form of a serious and blood-soaked horror movie?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
This was better than it had any right to be and I was pleasantly surprised. The goofy side of ED is fun and everything (the raimi films will always get love from me), but something along the lines of the first film tonally clearly can work too..and I didn't think the 2013 attempt at that was all that great.

Glad it did well, I want more deadite insanity without the wisecracks I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I re-watched this since it hit Netflix, and it would be good to see it without trying to read Finnish/Swedish subtitles (I was over there for work when it came out so took myself on a cinema date).

It's still good, but probably lower in my tier list than I initially placed it. I can still put on ED2 or AoD on a poo poo day and feel better, but once you've seen Rise once, the buildup just gets in the way of the fun stuff. I still think it's good, but its not going to become one of my comfort movies like the original trilogy.