Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Finally watched this for spooky season, and really solid last hour with some creepy demon kids, brutal kills with fun taunts, lots of blood, and chainsaws. But first 30 minutes are a lot of setup that doesn’t really matter much.

Like the kid is a Dj so they can show why he has a turntable to play the old record. But no one really would have cared if the turntable was jus there. We didn’t need to know he was a Dj. Or the one girl likes to go to protest, but this adds nothing as she just loves her family. It seems a lot of modern horror films want to add lots of characterization like this, but we want to get to the scary stuff as viewers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You would be surprised how many people would throw a weird fit about a teenager in 2021 having a record player.

People are stupid and the internet has broken the way we tell stories

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
I thought the record stuff was pretty neat, having the character control the RPM to give that warbly audio, then oh no its too late to go back and the record is playing by itself!! But the real payoff to him being a DJ is the shots of the big tower speaker he has vibrating like crazy, with the sound adding a lot of texture to the scene.

I think it's an impressive enough audio setup to warrant the legwork of establishing the character as a DJ, versus him just throwing it on a crosley or whatever

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

Rise's whole angle for its take on evil dead is about the horror of your mom becoming a twisted and evil demon woman who's trying to eat your eyeballs. I don't think that lands nearly as well if you don't get time with them as a normal family.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Yeah but you don’t need 20 minutes to do this. And really we get the family bond from them sitting at a table together or lamenting their missing dad, though that could have also been mostly unsaid.

Basically the eyeball spitting is great and what I want to watch more of on rewatches.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It did something different and more character based instead of just pure insanity. Which was a nice change of pace for the fifth evil dead movie.

It also didn’t take 20 minutes to set up the kid as a dj

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Oh I like the film. Its not just the Dj kid in that first 20 minutes, but his sisters and then the mom and aunt drama for a bit. The aunt has anxiety around her newly discovered pregnancy so she can learn to be a protective mother in the movie. But we would see this either way as she goes back to save Kassie.

The way I see it is that the movie wants to flesh out the characters to make us care more about them. But I know I’m just not going to care about these people, so it’s just kind of build up and delay. I’m here for the deadites. It’s like the movie Crawl, which starts with a lot of drama between the daughter and her father. I’m here for hurricane alligators, not family stuff. However maybe it’s just me as many seem to not mind it.

The multi arm/head combo monster was cool and reminded me of something out of the game the Forest.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
the thing that makes deadites incredible is when they switch over from being normal people to hosed up demonic monsters so it definitely helps overall even if it kinda went on for a bit i appreciated what they were doing.

as an existing fan watching it in theaters i thought it was actually incredibly funny that they made the kid that brought all the evil into the world a loving DJ. it woulda been funnier if they just made the girl simply a vegan but fleshing that stuff out is a good way to disarm the audience before horrible poo poo starts happening - especially since for most people this was their first experience with the franchise they aren't gonna expect everyone to die like they did

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
That’s fair, I should give it more credit to depicting gen z kids as the cause of evil.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Honestly, I wonder if this script started out with a slightly different tact on the family dynamic. Perhaps with this idea that the main mother was somehow inadquate or at risk of losing her kids? There are a few lines in the back half where the deadite mum talks about her sister "stealing" her children and the whole metaphor of sucking her kids into herself fits with this idea that she's been threatened with having her kids taken away. A sort of monstrous metaphor for overbearing motherhood.

As it is in the final version of the film the lines are a bit of a nonsequiteur, though a minor one.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

checkplease posted:

That’s fair, I should give it more credit to depicting gen z kids as the cause of evil.

I genuinely liked that the deadites didn't mock the kids for their beliefs. I was kind of on edge for them to be lovely about the DJ kid's androgony or the middle kid attending protests, but the film didn't go there, which is cool.

By the by, this film implicates that foetuses have souls, which has some (I believe unintentional) slightly uncomfortable meshing with the motherhood theme.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Disco Pope posted:

I genuinely liked that the deadites didn't mock the kids for their beliefs. I was kind of on edge for them to be lovely about the DJ kid's androgony or the middle kid attending protests, but the film didn't go there, which is cool.

By the by, this film implicates that foetuses have souls, which has some (I believe unintentional) slightly uncomfortable meshing with the motherhood theme.

I like that the Chucky show has him finding out one of the characters is gay and not using the 80s trope of him using that against the kid, just him saying "Of course I'm okay with it, I'm not a MONSTER" (proceeds to brutally murder a bunch of people)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I go back and fourth on the issue; on the one hand demons are mean and probably want to hurt their victims with whatever tools they have available. On the other I get not wanting triggering material in a film, with the obvious caveat here that horror films do try and trigger people constantly.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
"I'll swallow your soul" works better for me than "hey ash your face is dumb"

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Disco Pope posted:

Oh yeah I definitely thought about the two souls line. I was like she can’t be that far along if she just took test.. Definitely didn’t have to say that. But maybe the deadite is just a jerk and knew the aunt was pro choice- another way to terrorize her like groupie.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

checkplease posted:

Oh yeah I definitely thought about the two souls line. I was like she can’t be that far along if she just took test.. Definitely didn’t have to say that. But maybe the deadite is just a jerk and knew the aunt was pro choice- another way to terrorize her like groupie.

Yeah, I don't think there's too much to read into it, other than upping the stakes, but I could see an uncharitable reading hinging on it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Open Source Idiom posted:

Honestly, I wonder if this script started out with a slightly different tact on the family dynamic. Perhaps with this idea that the main mother was somehow inadquate or at risk of losing her kids? There are a few lines in the back half where the deadite mum talks about her sister "stealing" her children and the whole metaphor of sucking her kids into herself fits with this idea that she's been threatened with having her kids taken away. A sort of monstrous metaphor for overbearing motherhood.

As it is in the final version of the film the lines are a bit of a nonsequiteur, though a minor one.

I thought we were given enough to think she's dealing with feelings of innadequavy as a mom because her husband clearly doesn't want to be with her anymore and they're all now about to become homeless. And she even reached out to Beth for help which we know from their conversations is something she'd nornally not even consider.

Then on top of that she's clearly not thrilled with Beth rolling in and being the cool aunt to these kids during the dinner scene after ignoring her calls.

Like Demons 2 though I thought this was also to mess with our expectations when we first see the pages of the book, the group we saw it with all figured Beth was going to have a deadite kid or her pregnancy to become central to the flick because of the last illustration, not for the reverse to happen with the mom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
Just finished this and loving loved it. The slow start is fine with me, because in addition to screwing with my expectations about who was going to die (and in what order), in between and woven into the family moments are setups for later payoffs. The weird broom doll, the wood chipper, the elaborate speaker gimmick, the scissors, the gate, the voice messages, even the bank vault all get planted well in advance and I'm a total sucker for that poo poo. I took the "two souls" remark as just being another way to twist the knife, not any kind of narrative statement or anything- one of the other deadites had already commented on things in your tummy, so even the deadite mom acting surprised about the pregnancy was just the demon doing a bit.

I've got some minor quibbles, but it's not even complaints so much as "hmm why they do that" moments. If I get another one of these in two or three years I will not complain, count me in as hoping they do a period piece and cut loose more. This felt pretty tight and personal and that's cool, very good introduction for newcomers, now let's get freaky

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Oct 14, 2023