Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
One of my favorite things is finding old bookmarks in books. Most often they're old plane tickets or receipts, but sometimes you find something more interesting.

Today, I got a copy of Natsume Soseki's "The Wayfarer," and inside of it was this photo:

It's got no writing on it and I have no idea who it could possibly be, but someone's adorable child got shipped to my house in a book from a Thriftbooks purchase. I felt a weird pang of guilt when I found it, like I ought to send it back somehow, but there's no way to know where it came from.

What kind of stuff have you found in used books?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
Found an airplane boarding pass from the '80s last year. I don't think I've kept it.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

When I was reading Dune from my local library, I found an Ornithopter card from Magic: the Gathering at my local Goodwill. Once I was done reading the book, I put the card in it right at the end of the big sandcrawler scene and returned it with the card inside. I hope whoever checked that book out next enjoys their little treat I left for them.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Youremother posted:

When I was reading Dune from my local library, I found an Ornithopter card from Magic: the Gathering at my local Goodwill. Once I was done reading the book, I put the card in it right at the end of the big sandcrawler scene and returned it with the card inside. I hope whoever checked that book out next enjoys their little treat I left for them.

You're kind! That would've been a cool find for both yourself and the next reader, that's for sure. I don't think I've found anything in mine, aside from receipts, an old plane ticket and messages from people who gifted the book to someone. (Plus occasionally I've found dog-eared pages! :bahgawd: )

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Lad's mag coupons in a library copy of Unknown Soldier. It seemed appropriate to me in a way.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"
I found some Continental bonds issued to fund the Revolutionary War in a used book once. The state of Georgia owes me 15 shillings.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I lived in a house that was previously owned by a crazy old man when I was a kid. We ended up doing work on the house and extending the dining room by removing a wall. Behind the wall we found a small library of books about logging. Like, 200 books about loving logging. Inside each one was cash ranging from $5 up to $100. Best book find ever.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Ancient Swisher wrapper from like the 70s in a copy of Callahan's Crosstime Saloon which couldn't have been more appropriate

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
The copy of Malcolm gladwell's blink that I got from the little free library had a receipt for one order of potato bites from arbys as a bookmark

The bookmark was on page 11

I finished it, but I'd rather have had the potato bites

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

postmodifier posted:

The copy of Malcolm gladwell's blink that I got from the little free library had a receipt for one order of potato bites from arbys as a bookmark

The bookmark was on page 11

I finished it, but I'd rather have had the potato bites

Why not both? Hopefully the voucher hadn't lapsed by the time you got it :v:

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
A bunch of over the top Iove Ietters obviousIy written by a teenager inside The StrangIed Queen by Maurice Druon

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I was inspired by this thread to open a book to see what was inside and it was just a bunch of fuckin words?! Just what kind of a scam is this anyway

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Don't get scared fella sometimes they have pictures too

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Youremother posted:

Don't get scared fella sometimes they have pictures too

You get the right kinda book and the pictures can actually pop up! Some of these even have tabs and wheels and poo poo you can use to animate things in the pictures!

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER

I bought this in Sydney: Someone was very pleased to own a copy of Lolita while it was still banned in Australia

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Here's another thing I found in a book I bought

A cool frog

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

A friend of mine used to be a librarian. One day someone returned a book and had apparently used an entire ham sandwich, smooshed flat, as a bookmark. I'll have to ask him what book it was....

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
I used to work in the book section of a small store. One day I found a $100.00 bill in a book we had just bought back from a customer. I brought it to my manager and asked him what we should do. He said he'd take it downstairs to the safe and let the store's general manager know. I can only assume they were able to identify, contact, and return the money to the customer.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Chernobyl Princess posted:

A friend of mine used to be a librarian. One day someone returned a book and had apparently used an entire ham sandwich, smooshed flat, as a bookmark. I'll have to ask him what book it was....

lol like in a sandwich bag? because I've definitely done that before with textbooks at school

I went through this very dumb phase where I'd grab whatever is next to me to use as a bookmark, no matter how stupid. I think it might be because my mom would always freak out at me about leaving a book open on a table, "you're damaging its spine!!" etc.

WarpDogs fucked around with this message at 08:05 on May 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

I found a copy of the Tao Te Ching at Goodwill the other day, and I'm reading through it and found a funeral card in the back for a man who died in 1990. He was eighty seven years old. Looking it up, this man's son died in 2011, so it's very likely that it was the son's book. I hope it brought him comfort.