Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boofy
Sep 11, 2001

the first third is still really good but so much if it just becomes a loving slog once they get to boulder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
I just reread that last month. I have poo poo taste in everything, but I still loved it. Still in my top three King. The Stand, Salem's Lot, and It.

The virus stuff hits a little different post(ish)-covid.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

My favorite part of the book are the little vignettes about the world going to poo poo and various people getting killed in random and ludicrous ways. "No great loss".

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
I have a little son now, so the bit about the kid getting lost and dying in a pit was kinda rough this time aroun for me. But, you're right, it's a neat sequence.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Narzack posted:

I have a little son now, so the bit about the kid getting lost and dying in a pit was kinda rough this time aroun for me. But, you're right, it's a neat sequence.

Yeah I don't have kids or anything but even I think that one was a little harsh lol

The Sheriff Jake
May 8, 2006
Baby, can you dig your man?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I like reading Steven King because he like just, makes up ways he thinks people talk and it's almost always incredibly painful. Good stuff imo

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
When he really picks up some steam in the Mother Abigail sections, yeeeeeesh

calhoun
Feb 8, 2004

I am the scary clown with the tearaway face

Boofy posted:

the first third is still really good but so much if it just becomes a loving slog once they get to boulder

Are you reading it again because you didn't understand, or because you keep understanding? Lol

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I unironically love to sit and read 1400 pages of The Stand, even the parts that are boring.

I love SK because nobody else can make me nostalgic for places I've never been and times i never knew but god drat does he write bad dialogue.

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I like reading Steven King because he like just, makes up ways he thinks people talk and it's almost always incredibly painful. Good stuff imo

i'm reading the dark tower series, and just finished Drawing of the Three. The way the Detta speaks is loving insane, King was really on one

Samsquamsch
Jun 6, 2011

Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdooooown!

haljordan posted:

My favorite part of the book are the little vignettes about the world going to poo poo and various people getting killed in random and ludicrous ways. "No great loss".

Absolutely the same for me. From the very beginning, I love the little ways the world starts to fall apart, people start getting sick in later numbers, people noticing things are not quite how they're supposed to be, and then the poo poo hitting the fan pretty much all at once and non-viral deaths ramping up too. Same with the movie Contagion, and also with all of the old-world connections and machinery of King's Dark Tower series. Something about using a decrepit, long-abandoned piece of hulking machinery, hearing the gears groan, it barely serving its purpose one last time, and then the protagonist moving on with the machine never to move again is my extremely niche literary fetish.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Stephen King is definitely the world's best worst author. The Stand is so loving crazy, M O O N that spells crazy. I read it in high school, the unabridged version, and that's something you're not gonna forget. For some reason the food scenes are what stick in my mind, like Tom wanting to eat Pringles or or Lauder forgetting the sugar in the Kool Aid.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

MNIMWA posted:

i'm reading the dark tower series, and just finished Drawing of the Three. The way the Detta speaks is loving insane, King was really on one

At one point Eddie has to explain to Roland that the reason Roland can't understand half of what she's saying is because she doesn't talk like an actual person.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

He has a specify style of rural eccentric that rings true for me as a fellow Mainer. My grandfather would genuinely say "ayuh" and had all these bizarre sayings and metaphors

his problem is when he tries to extrapolate it to dialects of other areas. someone already posted about Odetta which is some crazy loving poo poo, but Eddie is just as insane, it's just not as shockingly racist

but the way he writes kids... it's just a masterclass. It's like the only kids he knows are from 90s sitcoms and he bases all his characters on them, but with a 50/50 chance that they'll have some sort of Twilight Zone twist to them

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017
My favorite line, which may or may not be in the book is:

Don't gently caress with my disco, Nadine!

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017

WarpDogs posted:

He has a specify style of rural eccentric that rings true for me as a fellow Mainer. My grandfather would genuinely say "ayuh" and had all these bizarre sayings and metaphors

his problem is when he tries to extrapolate it to dialects of other areas. someone already posted about Odetta which is some crazy loving poo poo, but Eddie is just as insane, it's just not as shockingly racist

but the way he writes kids... it's just a masterclass. It's like the only kids he knows are from 90s sitcoms and he bases all his characters on them, but with a 50/50 chance that they'll have some sort of Twilight Zone twist to them

Stephen King is to regional dialogue what a 1970s ad writer is to regional dialogue

The Cohen brothers are to regional dialogue what any normal person would just pick up by asking around

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
I know everyone and anyone is supposed to have read it by now, if you go out into the city, sit on a bench and start reading it someone will say "Great book" but I've yet to have done so.

Saw the mini in the 90's was it? Felt content by that. And yes, I know, a mini can never do the book justice.

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017

b mad at me posted:

My favorite line, which may or may not be in the book is:

Don't gently caress with my disco, Nadine!

while this may be the best line in the book and telvision series

lets keep in mind there is a pretty good story that follows

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011
If you like the first third of The Stand, then Greg Bear's Blood Music is entertaining. It's a fun sci-fi book that's apocalyptic in both the modern and the literal Greek sense. It's a bit of a slog in that specific sci-fi way, in that the protagonist of a large stretch is an extremely gross nerd (but it seems mostly intentional on the author's part, to whatever degree that matters), and that the way the Bear writes the women is pretty atrocious, at best.

If you can stomach that, there's some wild-rear end imagery that sticks with you. The gradual breakdown of physics, resulting in The Winter of Burning Snow is a helluva thing

DrankSinatra fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 5, 2023

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
The copy I had had a cover with like medieval dudes, one with a hosed up mask and sickle and about 2/3 of the way realized I was never going to actually see that.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

bollig posted:

The copy I had had a cover with like medieval dudes, one with a hosed up mask and sickle and about 2/3 of the way realized I was never going to actually see that.

I think the guy in black is meant to be a mix of plague doctor, jester, and grim reaper. he's cool. other guy sucks, though

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
the part where they're leaving new york going through the tunnel was so drat scary. pretty good book, he knows how to ratchet up the tension! the end is silly but i do respect king for actually trying to wrap things up in his books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorMarvel
Jan 6, 2021

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
Did you get to the part where covid happened and Trump wanted everyone to come to Las Vegas yet :chaostrump: