Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Pro-Wrestling Champion for April, 2023?
This poll is closed.
:greenangel: Athena (ROH Women's Champion) 14 20.00%
Mizuki (Princess of Princess Champion) 0 0%
:hayter: Jamie Hayter (AEW Women's Champion) 8 11.43%
Masha Slamovich (GCW Champion) 1 1.43%
:megaman: Claudio Castagnoli (ROH World Champion) 3 4.29%
Giulia (FORMER World of Stardom Champion) 1 1.43%
Tam Nakano (World of Stardom Champion) 3 4.29%
:pilot:Josh Alexander (FORMER Impact World Champion) 0 0%
Steve Maclin (Impact World Champion) 0 0%
:viconia: Jake Lee (GHC Champion) 1 1.43%
:krad: Kaito Ishida (FORMER G-REX Champion) 0 0%
T-Hawk (G-REX Champion) 0 0%
:abuela: Mickie James (FORMER Impact Knockouts Champion) 0 0%
:gaz: Deonna Purrazzo (Impact Knockouts Champion) 1 1.43%
:thurman: Bianca Belair (Raw Women's Champion) 0 0%
:troll: Charlotte Flair (FORMER Smackdown Women's Champion) 0 0%
:byodame: Rhea Ripley (Smackdown Women's Champion) 1 1.43%
:homebrew: Kazuchika Okada (FORMER IWGP World Heavyweight Champion) 1 1.43%
:ussr: SANADA (IWGP World Heavyweight Champion) 27 38.57%
:woomy: Mercedes Mone (FORMER IWGP Women's Champion) 2 2.86%
Mayu Iwatani (IWGP Women's Champion) 3 4.29%
:smugdog: Roman Reigns (WWE Champion) 3 4.29%
:screamy: None of the Above 1 1.43%
Total: 70 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Last month finally saw a respectable vote total! Almost doubling the previous month's pathetic 50 votes, we saw a good range of wrestling champions represented, but with Okada not eligible for the month his 2 month streak HAD to come to an end... and boy did it! AEW's MJF dominated the poll on the strength of his incredible 60+ minute match against Bryan Danielson, doubling his nearest competition. ROH's Athena and TJPW's Mizuki equaled 2nd place following a successful retention and win respectively, with AEW's Jamie Hayter and new GCW Champion Masha Slamovich rounding out the top 3 with their equal result. The M in March stood for GotoMJF though, he may be a smug son of a bitch but he's also a hell of a wrestler who proved he can do it with the best of the best for as long as he needs to. But this month sees the fallout from Wrestlemania and a return of the IWGP Champion(s!) to the poll, but March of 2023 is now and will forever remain Maxwell Jacob Friedman's, who was better than everybody else, and 31.63% of us knew it.

Eligible Champions are chosen on a combination of accessibility, prestige/notoriety and by overwhelming popular request. For promotions where lengthy periods of time pass with no title defenses, promos, appearances, shows etc those champions will be dropped from the poll for that period only, then return when once again relevant - for instance, Hagane Shinnou (Gatoh Move), last month's winner MJF (AEW), Shun Skywalker (Dragongate), Yuji Hino (DDT), & Yuji Nagata (All Japan) did not defend their titles this month and are temporarily removed from the poll. The monthly "None of the Above" option is a valid potential "winner" and has "won" the poll in the past, feel free to use this as a protest vote if you so wish.

Now onto the eligible contenders for the month just gone. Feel free to make an argument for/against any particular champion you think does/doesn't deserve the votes of other posters in this thread.

:greenangel: Athena (ROH Women's Champion) - Following her defeat of Yuka Sakazaki at the ROH PPV in March, Athena followed up less than a week later taking on - and defeating! - not only another former Princess of Princess Champion, but an unbelievably badass one! Miyu Yamashita came to America and faced Athena in New York, with Athena taking the victory by referee's decision. Confident in her power, Athena spent the rest of the month in non-title matches taking on a variety of different wrestlers in "Proving Ground" matches where a victory or even surviving the time limit would get them future title shots, defeating them all, and so far none of them have!

Mizuki (Princess of Princess Champion) - That loving rabbit continued her reign, which wasn't all that surprising given that, well, God bless her but Nao Kakuta's chances of beating Mizuki on her first title defense were pretty drat low!

:hayter: Jamie Hayter (AEW Women's Champion) - While most of Jamie's month was spent dealing with the Outcasts, she also got in an excellent title defense after former Champion and sometimes ally, Riho (who also has a pipe now!), reminding everybody that while she's dealing with the big "outsiders" vs "homegrown" feud, she's also just an excellent wrestler who can foot it with some of the best women wrestlers in the world.... like Riho! (with a pipe!)

Masha Slamovich (GCW Champion) - Slamovich wasn't resting on her laurels after her defeat of Nick Gage in March, as she fought and defeated Cole Radrick and then Sawyer Wreck (the latter by referee's decision) within a week of each other in late April to retain her title.

:megaman: Claudio Castagnoli (ROH World Champion) - Having perhaps surprisingly defeated old rival Eddie Kingston at the end of March, Claudio continued his reign of violence, loving up dudes with the Blackpool Combat Club in AEW and defeating Metalik in a title defense over on ROH. It took him so long to win the title (and now has done it twice!) and it seems like he is both making up for lost time and doing everything in his power to keep from ever losing it.

Giulia (FORMER World of Stardom Champion) - Giulia was finally on top of the world, and then it all came falling apart, as the one woman who has plagued the last four years of her life took her shot at the World of Stardom Title... and won!

Tam Nakano (World of Stardom Champion) - Yes, Tam and Giulia have traded wins back and forth since 2020, but this time was Tam's turn once more, as she pinned Giulia to become the World of Stardom Champion for the first time, on Giulia's only 3rd defense.

:pilot:Josh Alexander (FORMER Impact World Champion) - A long and successful title reign had an ignominous end, as an injury to Alexander forced him to relinquish the title for the same show that the other top belt in Impact also had to be vacated. His own kid didn't want him to give up the belt, but workhorse Alexander wasn't going to end up like Boxer from Animal Farm, and had to give up what he'd chased for so long and then defended so vigorously after finally getting it (and not getting it immediately cheated away from him).

Steve Maclin (Impact World Champion) - After winning the vacant title in a match against KUSHIDA, the former Forgotten Son (a gimmick best left forgotten) went on to have his first successful defense against Rhino on night 2 of Impact's Spring Slugfest.

:viconia: Jake Lee (GHC Champion) - After the humiliation on getting KOed by Katsuhiko Nakajima at a press conference, Lee got his revenge and kept his title by defeating Nakajima at NOAH's Green Journey show... but there is no rest for the top guy in the company (unless an old guy decides he wants to be the champion this week) and he was immediately challenged by another of NOAH's top talent AND former Champion, Naomichi Marufuji. NOAH certainly seems to want to do everything they can to make Lee look legitimate as champion, a strategy also known as pulling an Anti-Kiyomiya.

:krad: Kaito Ishida (FORMER G-REX Champion) - Ishida got one successful defense of his title in back in March with a referee's stoppage, but he wouldn't be so lucky in April as he was defeated to lose his title belt on only the second defense.

T-Hawk (G-REX Champion) - ♪ STRONG HEARTS! ♪ Adding one of the few singles belts to his long and storied career as a tag and trios champion, T-Hawk has become GLEAT's G-REX Champion.

:abuela: Mickie James (FORMER Impact Knockouts Champion) - Suffering a real degree of uncertainty, Mickie James - who only saved her career recently by winning the belt - was hoping to make it to the PPV for a triple threat, but could not be cleared in time. As a result, regardless of the result of the singles match on the PPV, Mickie James' title reign was over... though her career isn't quite yet.

:gaz: Deonna Purrazzo (Impact Knockouts Champion) - Beating fellow former champion Jordynne Grace, Purrazzo becaome a three time champion, a feat that Grace had also been aiming for in the match, putting her among only Mickie James (5) and Angelina Love (5) as the top reigning champions in Impact.

:thurman: Bianca Belair (Raw Women's Champion) - One of the highlights of the less regarded Night 2 of Wrestlemania, Belair overcame the weight of an expected shake-up by defeating the white-hot Asuka to retain her title, leading to a backstage celebration with the adorable young dancers who made up her special entrance... including a young girl whose mother died that same day but felt the need to continue to perform in spite of everything. Hopefully this helped her keep her mind off of her grief, and regardless of who might have been planned to win or if that decision was changed, Belair and Asuka delivered a hell of a match together in front of a huge crowd that were into everything they were doing.

:troll: Charlotte Flair (FORMER Smackdown Women's Champion) - Charlotte meanwhile took her chance on Night 1 of Wrestlemania to wrestle like she was in the main event, a spot that perhaps she'd initially been set to be in till the Sami/Kevin and Usos storyline got so incredibly hot that it had to take the top spot. Charlotte, who has come out of nowhere to beat Ronda Rousey in the aftermath of a match that was meant to be all about Raquel Rodriguez, wasn't hogging the limelight on this night though, losing in a valiant fighting effort.

:byodame: Rhea Ripley (Smackdown Women's Champion) - Gaining a measure of revenge for her defeat against Charlotte at Wrestlemania 3 years earlier, Rhea went toe to toe and came out on top in front of a fired up crowd that was fully behind her despite her status as a heel, the girlfriend of a super-heel, and part of a massive heel group. Because apparently people like cool asskickers who don't back down from anybody!

:homebrew: Kazuchika Okada (FORMER IWGP World Heavyweight Champion) - After going on a victory lap of a series of former champions like Shingo Takagi and old rival Hiroshi Tanahashi, as well as kind of loving with his own faction deciding he was going to win their tag titles (he did not!), Okada probably could have been forgiven for thinking he was finally getting a bit of an easy run through to Dominion when he was paired off against New Japan Cup winner SANADA, a wrestler he'd beaten time and again whenever the title was on the line. SANADA, after all, was simply the new Goto, a talented and impressive wrestler who just simply wasn't good enough to win the big one. Why, you'd have to be deranged to think othe-

:ussr: SANADA (IWGP World Heavyweight Champion) - IT'S REAL! IT'S REAL! COMRADE SANADA IS REAL AND HE'S MORE HANDSOME AND POWERFUL THAN EVER AND HE'S GOT NEW FRIENDS AND I'M ONE OF THEM AND IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE IN HIM THEN you already dieeeeeeee.... AND JUST FIVE GUYS IS A COOL FACTION AND SANADA IS THE CHAMPION NOW! CHAMPION SANADA! NO DERANGEMENT NO DERANGEMENT YOU'RE A DERANGEMENT!

:woomy: Mercedes Mone (FORMER IWGP Women's Champion) - Mercedes made her second appearance for New Japan as champion at Sakua Genesis at the start of the month, taking on the high speed Stardom wrestlers AZM and Hazuki and holding her own in the speed stakes and then retaining her title. Challenged by Mayu Iwatani afterwards, Mercedes knocked her on her rear end and laughed, but when she made her first title defense on an actual Stardom show - All Star Grand Queendom - the laughter stopped.

Mayu Iwatani (IWGP Women's Champion) - Iwatani had actually been strongly predicted to be the first IWGP Women's Champion, but it wasn't to be with KAIRI beating her to win the inaugural title... then the former Sasha Banks showed up and they had to justify the money they were paying her by making her the next champion... but finally Iwatani's time had come, and she won a giant match on a giant show in front of 5500+ people against a giant star to become the new champion.

:smugdog: Roman Reigns (WWE Champion) - Cody showed up to "finish the story" of winning the world title his famous father Dusty Rhodes never could. Like father like son. I guess Paul Heyman was telling the truth when he said Dusty told him he wished Roman had been his son instead. Roman beat Cody using the novel and unpredictable technique of "The Bloodline distracts and Solo Sikoa attacks the opponent when the ref isn't looking". Then Triple H announced that everybody else in WWE were too lame and couldn't beat Roman, and also he got to dictate when he appeared on shows or defended his two belts, so as a result they were... making a third belt for all the losers who can't beat Roman to win instead, because they can't beat Roman, because he's better than all of them. The end, no moral.

:screamy: None of the Above - If there being so many options makes you scream, or you simply just want to see the results or none of these champions are for you, then... vote none of the above!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

So yeah, there's gonna be a new "top" belt in WWE soon. They already have too many belts in the poll as it is, and this is in all honestly a glorified IC Title by the sounds of it, but do people want it included in future polls?

Oh yeah, and five days to vote!

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
pitch: every time a title wins the poll, remove a single wwf title from the next one. only return a wwf title to the poll when none of the above wins its protest.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
My friends. My comrades. We stand here at the peak of all that we have worked for. This will go down as the most difficult vote in the history of the Punchsport Pagoda. In these challenging times there is only one person who can carry the weight of our expectations like he carries this big floofer.

There is only one person who can give us the gift of hope

A true style icon

Someone who has overcome adversity

Someone with the humility to be just a guy

The only person who finished the story

The only person who will lead the proletariat in glorious revolution

https://i.imgur.com/JdbeZkA.mp4

COMRADES, IT IS TIME TO THROW OFF YOUR CHAINS! VOTE SANADA FOR A BETTER TOMORROW!

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I can but vote with my feelings. SANADA is fine, but is he a gleeful bully who treats the opportunity to beat up some little porcelain nerd as a delicacy to be savoured? No. Athena does. So I vote Athena.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
I went with Mayu because she's very good and funny.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i'm going to vote later on

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Athena is why I subscribe to ROH, so she is why I will be voting in this poll.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
do not blame me, I voted for the the HayterraveJamie Hayter

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Very rude for people to not vote for one of my favourite wrestlers because they're voting for another one of my favourite wrestlers :mad:

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Went down to Tam or sanada for me and I've been able to actually watch more of sanada as champ and he's killing it

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Ishida/T-Hawk was the best title match I saw last month but Sanada winning was also pretty drat good, we should have listened when Taka told us they were gonna change everything

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

So yeah, there's gonna be a new "top" belt in WWE soon. They already have too many belts in the poll as it is, and this is in all honestly a glorified IC Title by the sounds of it, but do people want it included in future polls?

Oh yeah, and five days to vote!

Include WALTER instead, like WWE should.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rarity posted:

COMRADES, IT IS TIME TO THROW OFF YOUR CHAINS! VOTE SANADA FOR A BETTER TOMORROW!

I don't wanna sound like I'm getting carried away, but I think if SANADA wins the poll it may very well finally spell the end for capitalism at last :hmmyes:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Only one wrestler finished the story this month worth voting for.

https://twitter.com/PuroresuFlow/status/1604810451782705153

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

SANADA~!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I voted for Giulia.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Saw SANADA win the title live when I was in Japan so gotta be my vote

bartok
May 10, 2006

can't not vote for Sanada but drat that Claudio/Metalik match was loving insane

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Hayter Hits Hard

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Hayter Hits Hard

Correct!

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Voted for SANADA because I was rooting for him in a back and forth chanting battle with a child at the SANADA-Okada title match at King of Pro Wrestling 2019 in Sumo Hall. When Okada won the kid cheered and turned back around and gave me a big grin.

My how the tables have turned small Okada fan. I'm the one grinning now.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Pinche Rudo posted:

Voted for SANADA because I was rooting for him in a back and forth chanting battle with a child at the SANADA-Okada title match at King of Pro Wrestling 2019 in Sumo Hall. When Okada won the kid cheered and turned back around and gave me a big grin.

My how the tables have turned small Okada fan. I'm the one grinning now.

Go gently caress yourself, kid :hai:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i guess athena. kind of hard to figure out who to vote for. i don't enjoy the process. that's the end of it for now.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Thought about voting for Claudio because he’s big and strong but ended up voting for Rhea Ripley because honestly beating Charlotte at Wrestlemania for a belt in a good match is a pretty good accomplishment. And she makes funny faces sometimes. I only watch AEW.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Rarity posted:

The only person who finished the story

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

that belt ruined njpw.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

I guess I gotta watch that SANADA match, this was Tam's easily for me

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Just under a day in, just over 4 days to go, and the will of the people is so far being expressed in favor of Comrade SANADA, but anything could still happen!

Also according to Meltzer and Alvarez, Roman's being called the Undisputed Champion and since the title is not in dispute, I guess that solves the problem and the new IC title isn't gonna get counted for these polls :shrug:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

2 days in, 3 days to go, and as always every vote matters, make your voice heard!

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
voting with my whole heart for Big Claudio. sorry, he’s my favorite

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

voted Roman because he beat jobber loser C*dy

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

If you’re not voting for a non-humiliated (for now) GHC champ, you’re doing it wrong.

If you’re not voting for a humiliated GHC champ, you’re also doing it wrong.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

However you do it, do it right by voting! Four days in, one day to go, things have slowed down a little so please don't forget to get your vote in.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

He may have lost, but I still like little Kazu. :(

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
I will vote Hayter because the 30min mash-up hits as hard as Jamie.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

BrigadierSensible posted:

He may have lost, but I still like little Kazu. :(

Okada rules! But him being pissy Okada currently rules whether he is champion or not!

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
I voted for Hayter, but I finally got around to watching Sakura Genesis and SANADA would have gotten my vote if I'd seen it sooner. Great story and great matches throughout the NJCup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

While it didn't quite happen on May Day, the poll is over, the votes are closed, and man of the people and workers around the world SANADA has reached Champion of the Month status for the first time ever! Almost doubling closest competitor Athena in votes, Comrade SANADA proved he's not just another guy, even if he is part of Just Five Guys, with his title win and subsequent reign over the rest of the month putting to rest any doubts that he wouldn't be able to hang at the very top of New Japan, despite the efforts of Crazy Peacock Man and Werewolf Meteor to wrest the title from his grip. Athena from ROH and Jamie Hayter from AEW help the 2nd and 3rd spots respectively, with a logjam in 4th place between Claudio Castagnoli, Mayu Iwatani, Roman Reigns and Tam Nakano, meaning 5 promotions were featured in the top 4 spots which is pretty cool! Not as cool as SANADA though. Not as handsome. How could they be... it's SANADA!

Previous winners, click the picture for poll results (where available) for that month.